Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

wa27 posted:

Holy poo poo the final scene was amazing

That caught me so off guard that I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I feel like that part may very well have been scripted....but I really don't care. I think it would be very funny if the person who he thinks he is helping gets very upset at him for something he did or did not tell them at the end of every episode.

Liked the episode all around. The planting of the trivia answers was the best bit. Not nearly as funny as NFY....but really good all around. I actually rewatched a bunch of NFY a few months back and was alerted to this just a few weeks ago. Very pleasant surprise.....as I had been wondering if Nathan Fielder was cooking up something new considering how many years ago NFY ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

a new study bible! posted:

If you haven't watched How To With John Wilson on HBO check it out. It lacks the comedic structure of NFY but it really wallows in the same absurdity and escalation. Nathan Fielder is a producer on it, and it is very well made.

Yeah, I've watched John Wilson. Super good. Think it's safe to say that just about anything that Nathan Fielder has some tangible creative input into will be good.

stromboni posted:

Watch it again but pay attention to his face

Yeah, I caught that after reading the thread. Very funny. Hopefully he strings some of his own bad rehearsal reactions throughout the show.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Damnit. I specifically avoid watching shows until the entire season wraps up for this specific reason. I thought that they were all going to be self contained. That said....love the setup here. Hope that future episodes are longer than this. Was too much of a tease.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pretty sure this whole thing is gonna end with her being driven out of the house and replaced with an increasingly uncomfortable actress that has to pretend to be her though.

I would love if this is what ended up happening.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Nathan For You pushed the boundaries of what 'reality' TV could be in an often hilarious and fascinating way. The Rehearsal is going above and beyond that with the intricacies that Nathan weaves into every aspect of this experiment. Really loving it so far. Think it's hilarious that he gets so caught up in the idea that he was gone for nine years of this accelerated child's life because he was in LA.....that he needs it to be addressed and it ends up becoming a major issue....pushing the experiment into extreme territory.....and causing Nathan to opt for a "do over" rather than just drop the nine years gone thing. Brilliant stuff.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ROFL! Mel Gibson would definitely be her favorite director.

Nathan: "he said some pretty bad things about Jews"

lol @ the ending. Very Curb like.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 13, 2022

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Nathan Fielder loves making things uncomfortable.....and basically every scene in this show is uncomfortable. The sound choices are foreboding and often menacing.....which adds an extra layer of anxiety. I can't imagine where this is all going.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

evobatman posted:

The show would be better without the music telling me how I'm supposed to feel. It's very un-Nathany to see him in a cinematic production instead of his faux documentaries.

I like the music. Keeps a feeling of suspense going.....when in reality.....the stakes aren't really all that high. And it's extremely hard to root for these two characters.....as they repeatedly turn away from good.....searching for great.....and then having to settle for poo poo. I feel like they deserve the "curse" brought upon themselves. The suspenseful music keeps tricking me into thinking that the other shoe might drop at any moment. Or it might not. Keep watching to find out!

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 10, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

It also adds to the comedy element. Insanely ominous music playing because Whitney may have to sell her property to a guy with scattershot socio-political views is extremely funny.

True. That is funny.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

bobjr posted:

Did this episode confirm that Whitney’s parents are more actively behind the homes than they let on?

Pretty clear that they are far more involved. Probably gave her the money to start up and might even be actively funding the projects considering the way that Whitney doesn't appear to care about spending.....while Asher is constantly anxious about it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

gurragadon posted:

Nathan is so good at making fake tv stuff. The Hunk, that fake reality show he made for the security guard obsessed with large boobs, the burn victim show, and now this clip. I love how serious he can play his jokes.

Dry humor is an art.

Moment of recognition for Andre Braugher.......who gave a masterclass on deadpan throughout Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

wizardofloneliness posted:

I wonder what Dougie’s going to wear next episode.

Rhinestone tank top

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Every episode recap should include Asher's attempt at non-verbal humor.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Whitney's mock impression of Asher......amazing. Emma Stone is great.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

E! True Hollywood Stories

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Whoa! Can't wait to see how this wraps up.

Also....Emma Stone was nominated for a Golden Globe for the show.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Green Queen doesn't end up getting picked up and Whitney divorces Asher. Flash forward one year and now Whitney is fully embracing being a slumlord. Meanwhile.....Asher is now doing a sustainable cooking show called Pasta Cuck with his new wife, Greta Thunberg.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Asher finds the chicken in one of the fridge drawers and then proceeds to disappear into the night......never to be seen again.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

deep dish peat moss posted:

I take both this show and Good Time as a type of comedy that's not necessarily intended to be laughed at. In both cases it's amusing just how much the protagonists are failing at things and hoisting themselves by their own petards and digging themselves into ever-deeper holes. It's amusing in the same sense that schadenfreude is amusing, you're seeing lovely people get their comeuppance for being in over their heads and earnestly trying to do something that they're not at all emotionally or intellectually equipped to do. It's comedy in the same sense as typing "lol" at a post that amused you, as opposed to literally laughing out loud.

It's kind of similar to Patriot though that leaned slightly further into literal funny-comedy - things get progressively worse and more tense for the protagonist in a comedically-escalating way despite never or rarely having "jokes", it's 'funny' in the sense that it keeps one-upping itself in just how atrocious it gets. Just when you think things can't possibly get any worse, they do, usually in an unexpected way.

I agree with all of this.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Another Bill posted:

Here's my thing, which has sort of been said already, I think Asher wasn't suddenly floating upwards so much as he was repelled by Mama Whitney. She suddenly didn't need him for validation in the same way once she became a mother. And that dynamic was the only thing holding them together.

That's what I thought too. At the end of the previous episode where Asher was saying that he'd know if Whitney didn't want him anymore and he'd "disappear".

That said.....I don't care for odd just for the sake of being odd. So I didn't love this ending. Spent a lot of time on this floating away premise and provided almost no closure to the other plot lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I should have seen the hints from Nathan's demo reel. It was in front of our faces the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8IQH4pvzTM

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 14, 2024