Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnJh4o8iwx0

The Rehearsal is a new show from Nathan Fielder of Nathan for You fame. Fielder is also the producer of the absolutely excellent HBO show How To With John Wilson

quote:

Nathan Fielder (Nathan For You, HBO’s How To with John Wilson) returns to television for a new series that explores the lengths one man will go to reduce the uncertainties of everyday life. With a construction crew, a legion of actors, and seemingly unlimited resources, Fielder allows ordinary people to prepare for life’s biggest moments by “rehearsing” them in carefully crafted simulations of his own design. When a single misstep could shatter your entire world, why leave life to chance?

Nathan Fielder is the Executive Producer, writer, director and star. Fielder is represented by UTA, Rise MGMT and Ziffren Brittenham LLP. Clark Reinking is Executive Producer (episode 101) and is represented by Ziffren Brittenham LLP. Dave Paige is Executive Producer (episodes 102-106) and is represented by Artists First and Ginsburg Daniels Kallis LLP. Christie Smith and Dan McManus Executive Produce for Rise Management.

Just days away from air date and we finally have a real trailer. It looks like fans of NFY will likely not be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjPFt8cpic

For anyone not familiar with his other work get on it. It's some of the funniest media ever produced by a human

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7BlydBMAVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vbCKava_JE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NPR did a review of the entire season yesterday and the level of gushing was off the charts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

wa27 posted:

"It's days like these that I curse the Chinese for inventing gunpowder." :fireman:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

“My grandmother just died of brain cancer or something”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That was art

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, I always wondered even with Nathan For You how much behind-the-scenes sleight of hand was going on in terms of letting people know what they've actually gotten themselves into / how they come across in the larger context of the show. Because if they don't find out until it actually airs then woof some of these folks are probably gonna have some awkward situations to untangle.

Afaik they never let anyone in on the joke with NFY. A few people featured on it did Reddit AMAs and I think for the most part people just go along with it because they want to be on TV or don't want to be rude etc. They seemed to mostly just think it was fun that they got on TV regardless of how they were portrayed.

Nathan for You was actually really close to the concept for the Rehearsal in how it was made. The episodes were basically scripted as much as possible around predicting how regular people would react to the situations he put them in. And although I've never seen Nathan comment on it, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they use editing heavily to get the narrative/comedy they are looking for even if it means misrepresenting exactly how things went down.

There were always a lot of what I'm pretty sure are real moments on the show though. And with the rehearsal am 100% convinced that the dude lying about his degree actually was a really big deal to him, and that he was alarmingly serious about bar trivia

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing that surprised me about the Rehearsal so far was that the actors he hired are actually good. Was 100% expecting "the first actor that responded to my craigslist ad" being a huge part of the butt of the joke. But honestly the two main actors in this episode knocked it out of the park and it actually added more nuance to the whole thing instead of it feeling like a straight up gag.

Like, I felt like I could sense that the woman who played the friend found the real woman super annoying and channeled it into her performance in a way that actually really reminded me of their birding encounter. And the dude who played Cal(?) really sold his disgust with nathans trivia fixing.

I won't spoil it but the NPR played a pretty wild clip with one of the actors and I have no idea what is real or fake anymore. I can't wait to see the context when the episode airs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Argue posted:

Got a link at least?

I listened on old timey radio but I'm sure they uploaded it to the site.

It was a clip of one of the actresses (furious) saying something along the lines of

"So am I the joke? When this airs is that the comedy just making me look stupid?"
Nathan: "No it's the situation that's silly. That's not what I'm trying to do"
"I watched your show I don't believe you"

or something really close to that. And they didn't give context so tbh I have no idea if it's something that's part of the bit or someone calling him out hard or whatever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah they do say he asks her to do it as a potential outcome. I meant that the sell was good enough that I really couldn't tell if there was some sincerity behind it, and I'm not sure what the context was in regard to the theme of the episode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah moment to moment its not as laugh out loud hilarious as NFY but I think it’s just as good. The tone is just different and feels more surreal. There was still rarely more than a couple of minutes going by where I wasn’t cracking up though.

Even though John Wilson isn’t Nathan’s show I’d say the rehearsal is tonally closer to that than it is to NFY.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

stromboni posted:

Watch it again but pay attention to his face

That rules that some people missed it.

Not even judging it took me a second to realize what was going on. You could glance the wrong way for 3 seconds and have the entire ending change

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thrifty boy reminded me of

and

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hahaha

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Tbf Trivia rules if you can sneak into a team of smart people and eat and drink for free once a week. I used to have a regular team gig with a group that contained a literal rocket scientist and we usually made money.

Yeah. I’m a dumbo, but I used to go to trivia with friends who were actually good at it and we’d win so much it was a almost always free food and drinks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Both Rehearsal and NFY are comedy shows first and foremost. They both use real, unscripted people but ultimately they are there for laughs, to make the story more entertaining, and make the premise work. It's a lot closer to something like...Check it out With Steve Brule than it is to a documentary. If honestly depicting reality is that much of a concern for you it's probably not for you, but I think you are watching it with the wrong mindset.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 19, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is not the show for you. Time to move on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's not a "feature" that if you think about it really hard and pay close attention then you realize that it's likely that Fielder's conversation with Kor's actor took place after, rather than before, Fielder's failure to admit to Kor that Fielder fed Kor the answers. The TV show is not trying to make you realize this.

The TV show is trying to make you not notice it. If it wanted you to notice it, then they could've (for instance) cut it so that first he doesn't come clean to Kor, then he talks with the actor. That of course would be a a stupid way to cut it, but that would be the way to cut it if revealing the true order of filming was the show doing "exactly what it wants to." But the show wants to make it seem like Fielder first rehearsed the conversation and then had the real conversation, because duh. That is exactly what the show wants. The reason that is a bug is that the show didn't do that: it's just cut together to seem like it did that.

No. His whole shtick is a joke that is flying a mile over your head. It's not a reality show. It's absurd surrealist comedy. What you are looking for out of it is not what it is at all, hence why I think you should probably just find another show to watch.

E: I'm not trying to be a dick. I'm just saying that this show, or anything else he has done is not going to please you if you are looking for honesty from it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 19, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vegetable posted:

He’s a dweeb for nitpicking it so hard but you guys are so prickly at the idea of someone criticizing your comedy god. “get out of my thread” like lol

I didn't tell them to get out of thread. I said they should probably stop watching it now because it's likely legit good advice for them. They are obviously looking for something out of it that it's not and never will be.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I did not expect this thread to go full TV IV in a matter of days. We had a nice 2 or so pages I guess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sticksy posted:

It’s been almost 12 hours and I’m still laughing about this

New thread title, please:
“The Rehearsal - if they’d blown up human beings with actual jet missiles, I’d be pissed”

Mods please make this happen

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Khanstant posted:

No way of even knowing if it's a real Nathan or a Nathan impersonator. A lot of Nathanheads have speculated ever since one of the private detective NFY episodes that Nathan actually switch lives with one of the decoys. If you pay attention you can tell episodes they shot before and after that one because "Nathan" has a slightly different accent and microexpressions.

Rumor has it that this is now the real Nathan

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Farg posted:

what gives with people on these sub forums bolding the names of shows and movies. it's weird

Why is it weird?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I’m not sure what’s going to happen or if episodes will connect but it feels like it’s going to become increasingly meta with some sort of crazy endings who knows though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Sure, or at literally any other time during the monthslong orgy of obsessive preparation that the show was about

Yeah. the correct answer is who knows, who cares. I cannot wrap my head why this has become such a hot button topic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You also have the option of not posting biblical walls of completely uninteresting text in response to anyone trying to explain how jokes work to you. Your posting is like, the most vibe killing diarrhea fart, Jesus. Threads for these shows are usually super chill and fun but I guess we have you now. :toot:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I've never got the impression that you enjoy it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

i been doing a rewatch of NFY cause of this show and one of my favorite bits is nathan's go to for a disease being "klein's"

I realized I don't even know what Klien's is and google autocomplete's first result is "Kliens nathan For you" and the GIS results are mostly nathan lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you think Nathan actually hired Solomon as an intern?

Just rewatching the one where he makes him do that girls makeup lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo this dude

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The roommate and the license plate poo poo lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it was going 100mph

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/TotalFilf/status/1550769875563544576

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think that is a rather weird reading of the whole situation.

I dunno I thought it was pretty funny that once he was there, she thought it just meant she didn't have to get out of bed anymore. She definitely didn't con him into being there though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nothing about the logistics of faking moving the set makes sense. If that were the case the show flew the girl from episode 2 to new york just to pretend they moved it, while her being there didn’t really add anything to the episode. Or they lied about it being in NY in the first place and flew the entire cast of episode 1 to Oregon any time the fake alligator was on screen lol. And it’s obviously in a different warehouse now than the one it was in in the first episode.

I think a lot more sensible answer is that they built the set with the intent to move it so it could eventually fit into whatever Rube Goldberg machine this show is currently setting up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s amazing a woman who is probably well into her 30s told him that under no circumstances would she have sex before marriage, and his thought process was “but…I’m good looking? I’m still gonna have sex with her, tonight”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I fully expected this thread to be somewhere into it's second page at this point in time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That entire interview is gold. The full Scion TC story lol. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

Also, I love how nothing is ever his fault, but his explanation for why never makes any sense.

quote:

Probably the funniest thing Stone did on the show was leave in the middle of the night, claiming he needed a good rest, on his first night as Angela’s simulated co-parent. Stone said that the crew of The Rehearsal gave him the impression that the robotic baby’s cries wouldn’t be as loud or as frequent as they ended up being in the show.

This too lol

quote:

All in all, Stone is frustrated that The Rehearsal cut his appearance down to only the “douchey” things he said and did. But he isn’t sure that he would have done or said anything differently. Even his comment to Fielderabout wanting to sleep with Angela even though she is celibate, which he acknowledged came across as crass, was something he could justify.

“I could just tell. I mean, I'm very good with women,” he said. “I could just tell she was into me like that. So that’s why I even said that.”

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 26, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really the whole thing reads like "I am mad about this show doing an extremely accurate depiction of me, now let me prove it to you that I am exactly the guy you saw on screen" lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mods please change thread title to “I’m over there’s wiping grandpas rear end while we’re watchin dragonball Z “

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lmao at the vegetables. The squash just jammed into the ground.