Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Seconding Emily Remler. I really like her playing. She was also married to Monty Alexander!

Anat Cohen is a clarinetist.

Camille Thurman is a saxophone player and plays with the JLCO.

Hiromi Uehara, if you're into that sort of thing.

Samara Joy is a vocalist and just won a grammy.

Edit: Oh, Esperanza Spalding of course too. Bass/Vocals

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Jazz Marimba posted:

anyone got recs for jazz by women instrumentalists that aren’t the four everyone names? (alice coltrane, dorothy ashby, mary lou williams, lil hardin armstrong)

Carla Bley, Marilyn Mazur, Ella Zirina

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

hi jazz thread. recently a friend asked me for recommendations for a first time jazz listener (she had only listened to laufey). so i made a list of 18 albums i think every jazz fan should hear categorized based on how they compare to grocery store salsa. what do you guys think? did I miss anything or is something miscategorized?

MILD:
Miles Davis-Kind of Blue (standout track: So What)
Samara Joy-Linger Awhile (standout track: Guess Who I Saw Today)
Weather Report-Heavy Weather (standout track: Birdland)
Chet Baker-Chet Baker Sings (standout track: My Funny Valentine)
Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto-Getz/Gilberto (standout track: The Girl From Ipanema)
Dave Brubeck-Time Out (standout track: Blue Rondo a la Turk)

MEDIUM:
Christian Scott Atunde Adjua-Stretch Music (standout track: West of the West)
Herbie Hancock-Headhunters (standout track: Chameleon)
Miles Davis-Someday My Prince Will Come (standout track: Someday my Prince Will Come)
Return to Forever-Light as a Feather (standout track: Spain)
Cannonball Adderley-Somethin' Else (standout track: Autumn Leaves)
Wes Montgomery-Smokin' at the Half Note (standout track: Four on Six)

SPICY HOT:
Patrick Bartley-First Song (standout track: Just One Look)
Mahavishnu Orchestra-Birds of Fire (standout track: Birds of Fire)
Art Blakey-Moanin' (standout track: Moanin')
Miles Davis-Bitches Brew (standout track: Pharaoh's Dance)
Ornette Coleman-The Shape of Jazz to Come (standout track: Lonely Woman)
John Coltrane-Giant Steps (standout track: Giant Steps)

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 10, 2024

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Smoking Crow posted:

Speaking as still-new jazz listener, this video is amazing. After I watched it I had Giant Steps on repeat for like a week.
https://youtu.be/62tIvfP9A2w?si=PT7I2uWgpE1dfhc9

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes, thanks for that list!

I’m a total jazz noob also. I have some Miles Davis and some Dave Brubeck, and that’s about it so far.

The list gives me some great ideas on what I might get next.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

hi jazz thread. recently a friend asked me for recommendations for a first time jazz listener (she had only listened to laufey). so i made a list of 18 albums i think every jazz fan should hear categorized based on how they compare to grocery store salsa. what do you guys think? did I miss anything or is something miscategorized?

MILD:
Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto-Getz/Gilberto (standout track: The Girl From Ipanema)

MEDIUM:
Miles Davis-Someday My Prince Will Come (standout track: Someday my Prince Will Come)

SPICY HOT:

That's a fine list. Moanin' is great but it's about as straight ahead as jazz gets for that era. IMO too much fusion, not enough Mingus. A track like Haitian Fight Song or Reincarnation of a Lovebird would be great medium tracks.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

That's a fine list. Moanin' is great but it's about as straight ahead as jazz gets for that era. IMO too much fusion, not enough Mingus. A track like Haitian Fight Song or Reincarnation of a Lovebird would be great medium tracks.

Yeah I could easily move moanin back to medium and add black saint and the sinner lady.....somewhere I'd have to listen to it again it's been a while

Mingus, Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders and Kamasi Washington all barely missed the cut because of various reasons

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It’s a lot of fusion and not really any bebop or much of anything pre 1950. Some Charlie Parker or Take The A Train or something like that?

And if you’re going to do a Mingus song I’d do So Long Eric or Parkeriana from Revenge. Or something from 64 in Europe with the Dolphy/Clifford Jordan/Jaki Bayard band.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 11, 2024

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BigFactory posted:

It’s a lot of fusion and not really any bebop or much of anything pre 1950. Some Charlie Parker or Take The A Train or something like that?

And if you’re going to do a Mingus song I’d do So Long Eric or Parkeriana from Revenge. Or something from 64 in Europe with the Dolphy/Clifford Jordan/Jaki Bayard band.

i thought about adding louis armstrong- the hot 5's and 7's but i think it's too archaic for a modern listener who is only used to contemporary pop music. that's why i selected a lot of the albums i did, she only likes modern pop music not even rock or hip hop

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

i thought about adding louis armstrong- the hot 5's and 7's but i think it's too archaic for a modern listener who is only used to contemporary pop music. that's why i selected a lot of the albums i did, she only likes modern pop music not even rock or hip hop

Does she like jazz? I would think a song that a lot of people have already heard like Take The A Train or It Don’t Mean A Thing might be an easier entry point than Mahavishnu Orchestra, but that’s just me. If she played in the high school band she might already know some pre-1950s jazz.

That’s much more “pop” jazz than modal jazz or fusion.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

BigFactory posted:

Does she like jazz? I would think a song that a lot of people have already heard like Take The A Train or It Don’t Mean A Thing might be an easier entry point than Mahavishnu Orchestra, but that’s just me. If she played in the high school band she might already know some pre-1950s jazz.

That’s much more “pop” jazz than modal jazz or fusion.

I believe it'd be for someone who was introduced to jazz through Laufey or whoever and actually wanted to hear more jazz

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Venomous posted:

I believe it'd be for someone who was introduced to jazz through Laufey or whoever and actually wanted to hear more jazz

List is missing a lot of vocal jazz, then. Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday - at Newport would cover a lot of bases.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

If I were to curate an Intro to Jazz playlist for someone whose entry point is Laufey, then Chet Baker is definitely a great place to start. Samara Joy for the more contemporary but not outside. And of course Ella Fitzgerald in any setting.

As a survey the list is OK, but I'm not sure what qualifies something as being spicy hot. If Trane needs to be in that category then maybe I would substitute A Love Supreme for Giant Steps.

edit: not dissing the OP because it's a fun thought exercise, but where does Monk fit in? Authentic Wasabi?

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 11, 2024

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

zenguitarman posted:

If I were to curate an Intro to Jazz playlist for someone whose entry point is Laufey, then Chet Baker is definitely a great place to start. Samara Joy for the more contemporary but not outside. And of course Ella Fitzgerald in any setting.

As a survey the list is OK, but I'm not sure what qualifies something as being spicy hot. If Trane needs to be in that category then maybe I would substitute A Love Supreme for Giant Steps.

edit: not dissing the OP because it's a fun thought exercise, but where does Monk fit in? Authentic Wasabi?

monk goes in spicy i almost put misterioso in there but cut it when i realized i was only going to do 6 albums per flavor profile

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I struggle to think of a record that came out before 1950 that actually sounds decent now. However, for a record by someone that was in their prime before 1950, I would pick Ellington and go with The Duke Plays Ellington or Ellington at Newport (both "mild", I would guess).

Also... what are we doing with calling "Blue Rondo à la Turk" the stand out track off Time Out? That could be the track you like the best or think sounds the most interesting, but "Take Five" is the one that stands out. In addition to being popular, it was the only track Brubeck didn't write.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm the kind of freak who still buys CDs on the reg so I have some pickups

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Jazz Marimba posted:

anyone got recs for jazz by women instrumentalists that aren’t the four everyone names? (alice coltrane, dorothy ashby, mary lou williams, lil hardin armstrong)

lately i have been enjoying ai kuwabara, a very approachable pianist who does a lot of highly listenable covers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W69ChJxnzzI

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Smoking Crow posted:

MILD:

MEDIUM:

SPICY HOT:

imo the presence of pop covers which are played straight make something much more approachable, and kind of blue can be more challenging than it seems to dedicated jazz listeners. i would switch kind of blue and someday my prince will come.

clifford would slot in great for an introduction to bop in 'medium'. very tuneful but clearly virtuosic bop.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

BigFactory posted:

List is missing a lot of vocal jazz, then. Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday - at Newport would cover a lot of bases.

gimme chet

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello I really like Dixieland/New Orleans Jazz here are some favorites:
Really this whole album is fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5PH0Tdnyhc

For some reason I really like jazz versions of old gospel songs/hyms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHtWO_gUXJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9iZuUK7NvQ

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hello I really like Dixieland/New Orleans Jazz here are some favorites:
Really this whole album is fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5PH0Tdnyhc

For some reason I really like jazz versions of old gospel songs/hyms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHtWO_gUXJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9iZuUK7NvQ

jazz gospel's the best. the whole Funeral For A Friend album by the Dirty Dozen is super listenable, I think it'd be a perfect onramp for a new jazz listener with any existing interest in church music

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

ive been getting more into jazz again lately, mostly from stumbling on to the open studio yt/podcast trying to work on learning some piano and also standards on bass/guitar but always been a fan.

ive mostly listened to older stuff pre-70s with some more modern jazz guitar/bass bigger before here and there

one thing i was definitely missing was listening to more 70s stuff esp herbie hancock - ive known chameleon and cantaloupe island, but never dug into his other stuff like at all

its quite good it turns out

spotify also pointed me to some 70s french jazz/funk too after that and i've also been wearing out this cortex album. it gives me some jeff beck blow by blow vibes (which is also great)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Thrust is one of the all time great album covers

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

jazz gospel's the best. the whole Funeral For A Friend album by the Dirty Dozen is super listenable, I think it'd be a perfect onramp for a new jazz listener with any existing interest in church music

just listened to this and it was excellent, would love some more gospel jazz recs!!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Kvlt! posted:

just listened to this and it was excellent, would love some more gospel jazz recs!!

Steal Away is a lovely small-ensemble instrumental gospel (i guess mostly spirituals) album by Charlie Haden and Hank Jones.

it is an overwhelmingly religious album which may turn some off, but The Revival by Cory Henry is a really nice live recording. hes an organist.

church music is one of the major ingredients in the stew of musical tradition that jazz came out of. i think the dedicated jazz listener shouldn't shy away from exploring this part of jazz.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0TJ_bmjaM0

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Black Christ of the Andes has parts that are based more on Catholic choral music than what you'd call gospel in the Black church tradition but "Praise the Lord" and "Anima Christi" fit the bill, and completely rip.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lets all appreciate Blossom Dearie at every opportunity. she was able to make a performance that's pianissimo the whole way through hit harder than forte. vocal jazz forever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MM-z3HwS6c

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
they say jazz is the final frontier of music; after that its just dissonance..

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
This just came on the radio and blew me away. Another adaptation of an old church song. Anybody else have recommendations for completely unaccompanied recordings? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCrWa5SDkKw

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i61gSKmeQ74 there's this classic

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hi jazz thread! I posted this in the hip-hop thread because I didn't know if we had a current thread for jazz:

Rageaholic posted:

Do we have a jazz thread in NMD? Kamasi Washington announced his new album featuring Thundercat, Andre 3000, George Clinton and more coming out in May. First single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8cKN1rbJl4

Considering this and his other albums, this album is prob gonna be a real AOTY contender for me.

Every new Kamasi release makes me so happy.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Working through the Alice Coltrane catalogue now and this is extremely good poo poo.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Working through the Alice Coltrane catalogue now and this is extremely good poo poo.

check this out if you want to go deeper, wish it had an official release — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdFT-KFzLA

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Blue Yusef Lateef is a very underrated album imo

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT9MEmrERjz-K9fJ6CqH9_PtDYWmehfwC

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

check this out if you want to go deeper, wish it had an official release — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdFT-KFzLA
ty, very good. That like a bootleg, or just out of print and never reissued?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

ty, very good. That like a bootleg, or just out of print and never reissued?

bootleg

though she does have an official 1971 concert recording coming out in a couple weeks — with "Pharaoh Sanders, Archie Shepp, Jimmy Garrison, Cecil McBee, Ed Blackwell and others"

https://jazz.centerstagestore.com/products/alice-coltrane-the-carnegie-hall-concert-opaque-galaxy-orange-lp

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024

Smoking Crow posted:

MILD:

MEDIUM:

SPICY HOT:

This list is fantastic! Thank you for sharing - it's exactly what I came here looking for.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

spun don cherry's Organic Music Society this morning —— first half is good enough but i just love the 2nd half, drumming throughout is incredible but especially on Utopia and Visions. might prefer this to Brown Rice some days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

though she does have an official 1971 concert recording coming out in a couple weeks — with "Pharaoh Sanders, Archie Shepp, Jimmy Garrison, Cecil McBee, Ed Blackwell and others"
This is out now, real good
https://open.spotify.com/album/3QLSI5J1AcRtkqYRxVmEns?si=3qCyhviuSMqgSSG5Kb6Lpw