Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Recently found the first jazz artist that made sense to me: Ornette Coleman. Any obvious places to go from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Smoking Crow posted:

What draws you to Coleman?
Not sure really -- I'd had the same experience as a lot of people over the years, occasionally listening to a few of the top things that will get listed as jazz for beginners and had no complaint but none of it ever stuck with me; then last week I think I was just clicking around some topics in music and wound up looking at the Wikipedia page for free jazz. The Shape of Jazz to Come was one of the first things mentioned and I put it on and for whatever reason it held my attention. Liked Virgin Beauty a lot too.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Digging into some of the stuff I got recommended and enjoying all the music but even aside from that Sun Ra is obviously fascinating, is the 1998 biography of him any good?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Following up on the stuff people recommended to me a while ago I went from Dolphy to Mingus and this poo poo rules.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bullbar posted:

The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady absolutely kills, I love it
Was curious, is it ever staged with dancers or is it just described as a "ballet" in terms of musical structure or something?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Here's a recent release I enjoyed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2j5BJqI4Z4

There's a bunch of Sun Ra reissues popping up (which I gather is kinda happening at all times?) and the one I'm listening to now is Omniverse, really good. 1979, mostly a small combo, the soloists calm things down relative to another one from around same time, God Is More Than Love Can Ever Be, which is just Ra in a trio and everyone's going nuts, frantic in a fun way. I think the end of the '70s is my favorite period of Sun Ra of what I've heard so far, Sleeping Beauty and Lanquidity are my favorites.

Is there like a Youtube series or MOOC or something I should check out as far as leanring some of the relevant music theory? I've been reading a lot about the stuff I'm listening to but really have no idea what it means when something is described as "modal" and such.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Do people actually go around calling things "blowing dates"?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Good new release, Ancient Infinity Orchestra's debut, River of Light:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODzCIbOAFtE&t=192s

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

just listened to this and it was excellent, would love some more gospel jazz recs!!
Black Christ of the Andes has parts that are based more on Catholic choral music than what you'd call gospel in the Black church tradition but "Praise the Lord" and "Anima Christi" fit the bill, and completely rip.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Working through the Alice Coltrane catalogue now and this is extremely good poo poo.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

check this out if you want to go deeper, wish it had an official release — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdFT-KFzLA
ty, very good. That like a bootleg, or just out of print and never reissued?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

though she does have an official 1971 concert recording coming out in a couple weeks — with "Pharaoh Sanders, Archie Shepp, Jimmy Garrison, Cecil McBee, Ed Blackwell and others"
This is out now, real good
https://open.spotify.com/album/3QLSI5J1AcRtkqYRxVmEns?si=3qCyhviuSMqgSSG5Kb6Lpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I started listening to jazz approximately one year ago. Top of my head the records that have stuck with me the most are probably... Sleeping Beauty, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, Power of Soul, Karma, Ptah the El Daoud, Black Christ of the Andes, Straight Life, Unit Structures, The Magic of Ju-ju. Good stuff.