Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Mad that there's a jazz icon in this forum but no thread that I can see for America's only genuinely worthwhile gift to the world.

A lot of people get put off by jazz for the same reasons as classical: it's seemingly impossible to work out where to 'start', and there's always going to be some 90 year old grandad somewhere who says that unless you've listened to Bud 'Trombone' Jefferson and His Band live at the Starlite Lounge in Algiers in 1936 (of which there is only one recording and it costs $90,000) you're a no-good poser.

I've been listening to jazz since I was about 15 or 16 years old and they played Herbie Hancock's Chameleon in full on the radio one night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbkqE4fpvdI hell yeah

Straight away there'll be some purists who will say that this isn't strictly jazz, you know. We're not about that in this thread. This thread is for:

-Jazz
-Acid Jazz
-Bebop
-Hard Bop
-Cool Jazz
-Soul Jazz
-Nu Jazz
-Contemporary Jazz
-Dixieland Jazz
-Jazz Funk
-Jazz Fusion
-The approximately 40 other types of jazz I haven't mentioned

If it's jazz, it's here, is what I'm going for.

Best advice I can give for someone looking to get into jazz is just start anywhere, see what kind of sounds you like, look up which musicians were making those sounds and then see what else they worked on. Go onto google and type in 'google give me some absolute jazz stompers' and you'll probably get something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY

And then you have officially Listened to Jazz. Search on ebay for a slightly used double bass and post 'yeah I listen to jazz nbd'

When I started working from home during the pandemic and didn't have to make calls I put together a spreadsheet of every Blue Note Records release, and every day picked one at random and made note of the albums and tracks I liked.

I am by no means a jazz expert though so don't want to do like a lot of these types of threads and have the OP be 'check out my 9000 youtube links that mean nothing to you'. If you would like recommendations you should post in this thread and I can try and help or one of the aforementioned grandads above can swing by to give you a real education. If you heard a real groovy banger recently you should post it in here so I can listen to it and post 'nice, drat nice'. Post your weirdest time signatures and filthiest sax solos. Can you remember the guy who played the saxophone that was like a double saxophone because I listened to a whole one of his albums and I didn't like it but appreciated the effort, and I can't remember his name.

Jazz - it's where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
'Hey sex ghost what have you been listening to'

Glad you asked! Been on a real Grant Green kick recently, just some lovely mellow guitar noises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgJSZWOpBsA

On a more contemporary kick, Emma-Jean Thackray is excellent and im not just saying that because she's from my neck of the woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEn7d65z2Gg

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Portico Quartet rule. Art in the age of automation is one of my faves to just throw on and chill out to

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I had a chance to buy a really nice copy of green street for like £80 at a record fair in london a few years ago but didn't fancy carrying it in my luggage on the train home. Now the cheapest one on discogs is approx £350. Owned

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Boring answer Head Hunters, real answer Fred Jackson - hootin' 'n tootin'.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The big beat is prob my fave jazz messengers album and he's great on it. Love a bit of weather report as well. RIP to an all-time guy

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

KonMari DeathMetal posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! Ive liked most of them so far.

It seems what I was originally looking for is the free-form improv. Which kind of now has me wondering if there are any bands that play jazz style but with heavy distortions and effects? Unless that goes against the jazz sound entirely. I'm new and dumb at jazz.

You might like The Comet is Coming if youre not already aware of them, was the first thing I thought of. Summon The Fire is a banger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Listening to this today and just having a lovely old time

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_koK01penlGOTg3yUCoTPaLiUM6t2Xq4uk