Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KonMari DeathMetal posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! Ive liked most of them so far.

It seems what I was originally looking for is the free-form improv. Which kind of now has me wondering if there are any bands that play jazz style but with heavy distortions and effects? Unless that goes against the jazz sound entirely. I'm new and dumb at jazz.

it might be the case that you're not actually looking for jazz as such. there is jazz with effects and distortion especially more recent artists but if you want that to be the focus you are likely to be getting into jazz adjacent stuff that is not strictly speaking jazz, for example free improv proper is really its own beast from jazz at least in the european tradition, even though there are musicians who have worked in both. there's an entire genre called EAI which is electronic free improv but this tends to sound more like recordings of fridges than anything really loud or harsh so you might not like it so much. you could try early AMM maybe since they were pretty loud and abrasive, they were an important group in early free improv.
you might try listening to masayuki takayanagi, who was a guitarist in the japanese free jazz scene and did some legendarily noisy and abrasive records. the noisest ones are the ones he did with his group new direction unit as well as the collab stuff with similarly abrasive saxophonist kaoru abe.
i think you would probably like the band last exit, which was made up of sonny sharrock, peter brotzmann, bill laswell and ronald shannon jackson. these guys were all veteran jazz musicians although the music is basically a kind of freeform jazz rock, but it's very good regardless of what you call it.
another group you might check out is borbetomagus who have been making extremely harsh free improv since the 80s and they are cool, they were an important influence in the later japanese noise scene(which has little to do with jazz but it's something you might want to investigate if you just want music that is all about distortion and effects).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU