Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foobie
Dec 14, 2022
I’m taking over this thread because I’m tired of having to keep the jazz general alive on a certain other website. The op is right, jazz is america’s greatest gift to the world! I’ll post the song that’s been in my head since I woke up this morning, Thelonious Monk’s Bye-ya off his first album. No horns, just monk in trio mode. This is from all the way back in 1953, and rather unfortunately you can’t find the original release on any kind of streaming service. Everything that’s up is just the second issue which added a 7 minute jam on the album which doesn’t really help it imo. The album is full of tightly composed but loosely played songs which give me an almost beatlesy vibe, and the jam just doesn’t match. Regardless though, here’s the song.

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=WZT7vCkupUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foobie
Dec 14, 2022
I’ve never heard of that guy, does he have any albums you’d recommend me? I love it when jazz drummers are just kind of a relentless assault. Speaking of, I really love Milford Graves. He’s got this solo album that’s all drums which is where I fell in love with him, but the album he did with John Zorn on Zorn’s 50th birthday is just absolutely amazing. It’s not even on YouTube so I’m just gonna have to settle with posting a performance they did together a couple years later, but even that’s great. An immediate comparison is interstellar space by Coltrane but I honestly prefer this. Milford just dominates the kit the entire time in a way that Ali didn’t, and Zorn’s more aggressive improv based style just works better for this kind of thing. You can tell the crowd is in awe the entire time to because it almost sounds like they’re holding in their cheers until the songs are over, just with how explosive the applause is. In lieu of that though, here’s the performance I mentioned

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=ujjki3nLmV0