Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

benny profane posted:

It's a classic. My favourite Mingus is Let My Children Hear Music, a later period Mingus album with more of an orchestral/big band feel, it's just brilliant.

Yup. My favorite album ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It’s a lot of fusion and not really any bebop or much of anything pre 1950. Some Charlie Parker or Take The A Train or something like that?

And if you’re going to do a Mingus song I’d do So Long Eric or Parkeriana from Revenge. Or something from 64 in Europe with the Dolphy/Clifford Jordan/Jaki Bayard band.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 11, 2024

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

i thought about adding louis armstrong- the hot 5's and 7's but i think it's too archaic for a modern listener who is only used to contemporary pop music. that's why i selected a lot of the albums i did, she only likes modern pop music not even rock or hip hop

Does she like jazz? I would think a song that a lot of people have already heard like Take The A Train or It Don’t Mean A Thing might be an easier entry point than Mahavishnu Orchestra, but that’s just me. If she played in the high school band she might already know some pre-1950s jazz.

That’s much more “pop” jazz than modal jazz or fusion.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Venomous posted:

I believe it'd be for someone who was introduced to jazz through Laufey or whoever and actually wanted to hear more jazz

List is missing a lot of vocal jazz, then. Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday - at Newport would cover a lot of bases.