Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I am absolutely a jazz novice--I love jazz but don't know much about it. I dig Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Thelonious Monk, and would appreciate any recs based on that.

I'm sure that's the equivalent of going into a rock thread and saying "I love The Rolling Stones, the Who, and Led Zeppelin, give me some recs" but I don't have any better frame of reference.

For whatever it's worth, I have tried listening to Herbie Hancock's Headhunters and despite the critical acclaim I absolutely do not get it, if that helps to refine my tastes any.

New or old artists, do not care!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Stringent posted:

actually i have a weird hunch you'd like hard bop, so here's a couple more.

horace silver - song for my father and cape verdean blues

art blakey - paris 1958

johnny griffin - introducing johnny griffin

cannonball adderly - live in chicago with coltrane

john coltrane - blue trane

uh, there's a zillion more, but off the top of my head

Pretty sure I had songs from each of these albums on my big jazz playlist, but it was nice listening to the albums. I'll look more into hard bop. Thanks a ton for the recs on a difficult ask!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

reversefungi posted:

Jazz is big about musicians intermingling and influencing one another, so it helps to look at the personnel lists of every album you like and seeing what else they've done. What John Coltrane do you like in particular? I'm going to assume his earlier hard-bop stuff, before he got into free jazz. So, for example, if you're a fan of the album Blue Train, you'll see that Lee Morgan is the trumpet player on that album. You can go listen to his own stuff where he recorded as a leader, like "The Sidewinder". Then from there you end up exploring Joe Henderson, Barry Harris, and it starts to spiral from there. You get the idea.

I have appreciated everyone's recs in here (and have been trying to get through them!) but this is especially helpful for finding my own way. Thanks, bud!