Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
somewhere like this for example (found randomly on google maps)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong,_Thunder_Bay_District,_Ontario

what is life like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer
its boring

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

fps_nug posted:

its boring

did you live there?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ellasmith posted:

did you live there?

Why would someone want to live in a place that they think is boring?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
You can buy a two story house for under 50K

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Devils Affricate posted:

Why would someone want to live in a place that they think is boring?

If he didn’t live there then he can’t honestly contribute to this topic.

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007
I don't live there but I have family in Nelson BC which might not qualify since it is close to the border and it is a decently sized town but I like it as a place to visit, not to live since there isn't a lot of work. It's a beautiful town on Kootenay lake in interior BC so mountains everywhere but that means lots of tourists and Aussies that come to visit/work/ski.

I have a buddy that lives a couple hours outside of Prince George BC which is more northern and when I was there you definitely got the feeling of remoteness. The stop signs there were bilingual English/Inuktitut which I thought was pretty neat but there was just... nothing there apart from nature.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Enoch Root posted:

I don't live there but I have family in Nelson BC which might not qualify since it is close to the border and it is a decently sized town but I like it as a place to visit, not to live since there isn't a lot of work. It's a beautiful town on Kootenay lake in interior BC so mountains everywhere but that means lots of tourists and Aussies that come to visit/work/ski.

I have a buddy that lives a couple hours outside of Prince George BC which is more northern and when I was there you definitely got the feeling of remoteness. The stop signs there were bilingual English/Inuktitut which I thought was pretty neat but there was just... nothing there apart from nature.

thank you goonsir this is literally EXACTLY what I’m looking for

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007

ellasmith posted:

thank you goonsir this is literally EXACTLY what I’m looking for

I wish I could tell you more about Prince George since I was only there the one time and it was several years ago, but what I can tell you is that my buddy's place was about a 10-12 hour drive from where I live in Calgary AB. The locals were an even split between white people and First Nations and were very friendly. I've heard that in a lot of these more remote smaller towns the Hell's Angels have a major presence for drug distribution. It was stupidly easy to get cocaine even in the small hamlet my buddy lived outside of.

Enoch Root fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 10, 2022

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Enoch Root posted:

It was stupidly easy to get cocaine even in the small hamlet my buddy lived outside of.

Small towns have come a long way if they have big city amenities now.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I lived in Fort McMurray for a summer. My aunt took me on a nature walk near a lake in the mist and it was the closest thing I’ve ever experienced to being on another planet. The trees were only chest high and the ground was covered in multicoloured mushrooms and bog cranberries. But that was 18 years ago, it’s probably an open pit tailings pond by now.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
If you have Aussies coming through on a working holiday it's definitely not the sort of place that OP is asking about. I have a friend that's currently looking into a move to Yellowknife, NT. She's a therapist and reckons she can make the big bucks up there.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Frankly I'd give anything to live somewhere I can see the Aurora Borealis again. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever witnessed in my life

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Frankly I'd give anything to live somewhere I can see the Aurora Borealis again. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever witnessed in my life

There really is no way to describe it unless you've seen it first hand. I've seen it in Calgary a handful of times and it was so surreal to see the sky glow green in the middle of a major city.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do they speak the French?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I've never technically lived there, but I have spent a significant amount of time in northern BC. Like, way norther than Prince George (which sucks)

It sucks and it's full of racists and rednecks and drug addicts OP

Also, if you ever see a nature documentary talking about the elk and the muskeg they live in, just think "disgusting mudpit that gets everywhere and fucks up your truck"

HTH op

I can answer more questions

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I guess it's right on the border but I used to go Sault Saint Marie when I was a kid to visit grandparents and extended family. Only ever met one other kid there, and he went on to murder my aunt who was extremely nice to him :smith:

Seemed like the most boring place on earth.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I could survive in Canada I learned from Camping with Steve how to live in their parking lots and parks

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Some of my internet friends live in not landmark Canadian cities, I assume they live like frontier people or homesteaders and scrape the frozen dirt for every morsel of food

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I say this as a Minnesotan living in the Twin Cities, albeit a transplant from southern regions. They're like an 8 hour drive away

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I lived in a town kinda geographically close to Vancouver but seperated by two different ferry rides, so practically kind of remote. You could drive about 20km either north or south of town before the road ended and you had to get a boat to go somewhere else.
I was there about five years. It was pretty, and a former draft dodger town, so there were lots of artists, musicians and other flavours of hippie. It was also a mill town with plenty of racist redneck types. I had a good time, and didn’t really miss city life. Bears used to visit my yard to burgle the fruit trees.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Honestly it blows my mind how often Americans move around between cities without a second thought.

But then I remember that there are a ton of places you could move around to without a real difference in quality or style of life.

Canada has like, four cities where you could do that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ante posted:

Canada has like, four cities where you could do that.

And they're all really expensive

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Paul Allen Wood Shaffer CM[2] (born November 28, 1949) is a Canadian[3][4] singer, composer, actor, author, comedian, and multi-instrumentalist who served as David Letterman's musical director, band leader, and sidekick on the entire run of both Late Night with David Letterman (1982–1993) and Late Show with David Letterman (1993–2015).

e: Early years
Shaffer was born in Toronto, and raised in Fort William (now part of Thunder Bay), Ontario, Canada,[1] the son of Shirley and Bernard Shaffer, a lawyer.[5] His father was a jazz aficionado while his mother loved show tunes. When Shaffer was 12, his parents took him on a trip to Las Vegas where they took in Nat King Cole and other shows; this was an experience Shaffer described later as "life changing" and led to his decision to become a perfo

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just letting you know that i have not lived in a location like that, op

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
How far away is "not close" to americastan?

I grew up on the Border, but went to college in a small town that was probably about 3ish hours (less if you could drive fast) away from home, thusly 3 ish hours from the border. Its (college town's) population at the time was probably about 20,000 people. Probably more now.

These days I'm about an hour and a bit from the border.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Shithouse Dave posted:

I lived in a town kinda geographically close to Vancouver but seperated by two different ferry rides, so practically kind of remote. You could drive about 20km either north or south of town before the road ended and you had to get a boat to go somewhere else.
I was there about five years. It was pretty, and a former draft dodger town, so there were lots of artists, musicians and other flavours of hippie. It was also a mill town with plenty of racist redneck types. I had a good time, and didn’t really miss city life. Bears used to visit my yard to burgle the fruit trees.

lots of people moving to Powell River now even though the mill closed because real estate prices are so insane everywhere else remotely close to civilisation

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Small towns are universally shitholes :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ellasmith posted:

what is life like

why do you continually post threads that only a braindead person would post OP?

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?

Colonel Cancer posted:

Small towns are universally shitholes :shrug:

While usually true it isn't. OP I live in one of these towns now. I grew up outside Vancouver and for the last decade have lived in 4 different towns from 900 people to 10,000.

The one I'm in now is actually quite nice with lots of city amenities. I only go to the big city (2hrs away) maybe once a month.

Plus it's affordable(ish). Anywhere western Canada still isn't that cheap.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Esoter1c posted:

While usually true it isn't. OP I live in one of these towns now. I grew up outside Vancouver and for the last decade have lived in 4 different towns from 900 people to 10,000.

The one I'm in now is actually quite nice with lots of city amenities. I only go to the big city (2hrs away) maybe once a month.

Plus it's affordable(ish). Anywhere western Canada still isn't that cheap.

See what I mean? :grin:

Don't go there if you don't want to end up... a poster.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I live in a small Canadian town of like 50 houses at most. For the last 10 years the only internet option we had was Bell DSL which had a max speed of 7 Mbps down and like 0.4 Mbps upload.
It sucked but the only other option was Xplornet satellite which is horrible in its own way.

Anyway, this winter Bell ran a fiber optic line through town to service the larger towns to the north. So by some strange twist of fate we are now able to get up to 1 GB down / 1 GB upload.

It's pretty wild.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I lived in the Laurentians a few hours upriver from Ottawa for a while. Many lifelong-locals had unironic Scottish accents and the biggest local event of the century was when Stompin Tom did a concert two towns over.

Also Jimmy Carter saved the entire region from nuclear meltdown in 1952, back when america did good things. Stompin Tom was still a bigger deal than that meltdown.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I have a coworker who lives in a tiny town in the rape fields of Saskatchewan. It's flat, lifeless, and deeply racist. Pretty much like any podunk town in Nebraska.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Spent my first 18 years in a small town about an hour outside of Saskatoon, SK. Fun activities for teenagers include getting drunk/high, driving around in a circle around the town, or both at the same time. There's also hockey and football.
I can't recommend it. Those were some boring fuckin years. At least once you hit 16 at least one person in your friend group gets a car and we could skip our last classes and spend the afternoon in Saskatoon, doing... not a hell of a lot there, either. But, you know... they have McDonald's and movie theatres.

And then I just moved to Saskatoon when I graduated, and over a decade later I'm stuck here doing... not a hell of a lot, still. It's a relatively tiny city, maybe a quarter million people, but it's a drat metropolis compared to anything within like a 7 hours' drive. Something that sucks about being so literally in the middle of nowhere is that most concert tours skip us right over, and it's really expensive to fly to a major city from here. But, I dunno, I think there's still a ton to do if you make an effort, and maybe the reason I'm so bored all the time is I'm just a boring lazy person who doesn't make an effort.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i grew up in Quesnel BC which is close to Prince George that was mentioned earlier, moved out when i was like 22, to Prince George lol. it sucked rear end and was extremely boring with an extreme poverty split between whitey and natives, i lucked out and escaped with just a decade+ drinking problem, all my friends who stayed turned into meth/crackhead right wing anti vax hippy types. we had many kids who wanted to be rappers and my friends and i were in a lovely metal band for like 6 years together

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I havent, sorry OP

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

My family moved through a few small towns in northern BC growing up. Some were nicer than others. You have to enjoy nature and be ready to learn a fair amount of “how to live in nature” things, like how to drive on logging roads and switchbacks, what’s safe to touch/eat in the woods, and how to share space with bears and moose.

I loved the parts that were quiet. There wasn’t the same weight of expectations to always be doing something or going somewhere or making something of yourself. But I also love the variety of people in cities, and everything that comes with that - more amenities, more food, more viewpoints. Small communities can get pretty insular and prone to drama and bullying.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Buce posted:

the rape fields of Saskatchewan.

:ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

ellasmith posted:

what is life like

don't fuckin do it