Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

It'll be interesting to see if they keep the original format of the second volume where Morpheus mostly takes a backseat until the very end.

it kind of looks like they might just be moving it around so that the stuff in 2 takes place at the same time as the Morpheus stuff in volume 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e54llvV_tc
Gaiman going through the trailer talking about casting choices. No real spoilers but he does explain what's going on in some of the scenes.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I am super impressed with the creature effects. Gregory the Gargoyle looks really great, and Matthew and Merv Pumpkin look PERFECT.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Looks like they are really beefing up The Corinthian to be THE big bad of the show and I am okay with that because Boyd Holbrook looks to be just scary as hell in the role.

He's the final threat from the comics they're adapting, but I doubt he'll have all that much more screentime, proportionally speaking. I think they've just edited it to make him seem more significant -- the same with Desire's appearances.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun thing from that Gaiman interview is that he mentions they went through 2000 auditions for Morpheus only to end up back at square one with their literal first choice.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

A fun thing from that Gaiman interview is that he mentions they went through 2000 auditions for Morpheus only to end up back at square one with their literal first choice.

And it looks like they were on the money. Sturridge looks perfect. and Gaiman has said that those disappointed by his lack of black eyes with stars in it will see them at certain points in the show.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Any shots of Delirium?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Any shots of Delirium?

Apparently the show only covers the first two arcs. Delirium doesn't appear until Seasons of Mists.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i would bet actual money that Delirium is in the show. remains to be seen if it's Tori Amos or not.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Gaiman has said that Delirium has not been cast as they are waiting to see if they get the green light for season 2 which would introduce her in the first episode. Same with Destiny (although in the comics he does briefly appear before Season of Mists with no dialog, and technically is the only Endless Gaiman didn't create for the series)

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Looks good but I'm disappointed David Goyer is involved since all his shows are very boring.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Joe Chill posted:

Looks good but I'm disappointed David Goyer is involved since all his shows are very boring.

Honestly, I think he was mostly involved in getting the show picked up, and working on the pilot, and then Allan and Neil looked after the rest, because he doesn't seem to have had much involvement with the show overall outside of producing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In all likelihood it is one of those producer barnacles where he had something to do with it at one point but not any more.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

In all likelihood it is one of those producer barnacles where he had something to do with it at one point but not any more.

He did help write the first episode, I believe. And he was responsible for going "Hey this shouldn't be a movie, can we take to TV" after the 2013 film fizzled out. So he's basically responsible for it happening, helped get it started and then stepped back, I think.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Please don't suck :pray:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to Gaiman the end credits for each episode are unique and all done by Dave McKean.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe I've just grown intensely cynical but it's precisely the fact that they seem to have nailed just about everything so far, from involving Gaiman to the cast to McKean credits, that makes me think it can't possibly be any good. No production company can get everything right and they've got to be coming up on the limit. Just generally Netflix strikes me as more in the business of making ~engaging content~ than making art which I'm sure is gonna creep in. And someone's got to know they already got enough stuff right for it to be well received with fans no matter if the actual scripts, visuals, direction etc. are any good. I would very, very much like to be completely wrong about all of this.

but man, Asim Chaudhry, how perfect is that casting? I've only ever seen him on Taskmaster and that was enough to near jump out of my chair yelping holy poo poo yes

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

IGN posted two videos, one of Lucifer and one of Death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0v_A6gBTQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHVzc386yRI

It looks like they aren't loving it up! Really excited for it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Good lord, the Death one made me emotional. That scene is almost word for word. and the Lucifer one is just really fun, Gwendoline seems to be relishing the chance to be a dick to Morpheus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Christie looks and sounds real good as Lucifer, and it's funny because i pictured the Lucifer of the comics to be like a jokey surfer dude lmao, so it's a very different thing

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Knowing that they based the earlier Lucifer off David Bowie, I always read it that way and Christie seems to have honed in on that at least in terms of how she is holding herself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently they did a costume test where they made him bone white, gave him poofy hair and all black eyes to match the comic design. But they decided it was too much and made him look like a cosplayer.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Both those clips are loving good. Better than I expected.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Can't help but feel reimagining Harry as a well-off classical violinist kind of diminishes the scene compared to the comic, even if the dialogue is otherwise verbatim. I wonder if they're gonna do the other death from that issue on screen. Not the comedian.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Can't help but feel reimagining Harry as a well-off classical violinist kind of diminishes the scene compared to the comic, even if the dialogue is otherwise verbatim. I wonder if they're gonna do the other death from that issue on screen. Not the comedian.

If you mean the baby, yes. But not as raw as it was in the comic because they don't want to break people according to Gaiman

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well they should :colbert:

e: if they balk at that I do have some concerns about what should be like 3 straight episodes of psychological horror and self mutilation that precede it. Sandman's no walk in the park.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 26, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well they should :colbert:

e: if they balk at that I do have some concerns about what should be like 3 straight episodes of psychological horror and self mutilation that precede it. Sandman's no walk in the park.

From what I remember the first series, Preludes and Nocturnes, is the most overtly upsetting and "horror-y" and while there is a lot of other upsetting stuff, it isnt quite so unrelenting later on, nor quite as overtly gory. Stuff like the sawn off witch face in A Game of You, or the Hell stuff, is gory but not really as upsetting as Dee's poo poo in the diner, and there are a decent amount of jokes there too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Maybe I've just grown intensely cynical but it's precisely the fact that they seem to have nailed just about everything so far, from involving Gaiman to the cast to McKean credits, that makes me think it can't possibly be any good. No production company can get everything right and they've got to be coming up on the limit. Just generally Netflix strikes me as more in the business of making ~engaging content~ than making art which I'm sure is gonna creep in. And someone's got to know they already got enough stuff right for it to be well received with fans no matter if the actual scripts, visuals, direction etc. are any good. I would very, very much like to be completely wrong about all of this.

I'm just waiting for them to reveal that it's a police procedural.

Adnor posted:

IGN posted two videos, one of Lucifer and one of Death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0v_A6gBTQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHVzc386yRI

It looks like they aren't loving it up! Really excited for it.
Honestly, I kinda wish that they Mazikeen's speech illegible and have subtitles when she speaks.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

My Lovely Horse posted:

but man, Asim Chaudhry, how perfect is that casting? I've only ever seen him on Taskmaster and that was enough to near jump out of my chair yelping holy poo poo yes
Everything Gaiman says it's not perfect 1:1 adaptation (as it should since I feel some stuff doesn't translate well in different mediums) and if you want that to go listen to the audiobooks which are apparently decent and also have a really good cast

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Both clips make me more excited and hopeful for this.

Gong to relisten to the audiobook sometime soon since it's been a while.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Alhazred posted:

I'm just waiting for them to reveal that it's a police procedural.

Honestly, I kinda wish that they Mazikeen's speech illegible and have subtitles when she speaks.

Yeah, Maz speaking clearly took me out of it a bit.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fyja48qK2g
Seems like yeah they are expanding The Corinthian to being the season long villain and expanding his role in the story

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Martin Tenbones!! He looks great! :buddy: ...... for now. :smith:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Martin Tenbones!! He looks great! :buddy: ...... for now. :smith:

This was my exact reaction, too :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Listening to the Audiobook and I really really hope whoever plays Cain talks like Vincent Price

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I never got in on the groundfloor with the books, since they started coming out when I was still deployed regularly, but I am glad I have the chance to be an unspoiled first-time watcher of something.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ravenfood posted:

From what I remember the first series, Preludes and Nocturnes, is the most overtly upsetting and "horror-y" and while there is a lot of other upsetting stuff, it isnt quite so unrelenting later on, nor quite as overtly gory. Stuff like the sawn off witch face in A Game of You, or the Hell stuff, is gory but not really as upsetting as Dee's poo poo in the diner, and there are a decent amount of jokes there too.

yeah the diner is one episode I don't know if I want to be comic accurate. That and the serial killer convention seem a bit unnecessarily edgelordy in retrospect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jaxyon posted:

yeah the diner is one episode I don't know if I want to be comic accurate. That and the serial killer convention seem a bit unnecessarily edgelordy in retrospect.

to be honest, even at the time, as a 19 year old whose "favorite band" was nine inch nails and whose favorite shirt was a gothic illustration of a field of dead babies and nooses, those things were "too edgelordy" for me lmao

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I don't see how you get around the serial killer convention. It's important to the plot. You don't have to do the whole thing, but how else do you get Gilbert and Rose back into Dream's attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

angerbeet posted:

I don't see how you get around the serial killer convention. It's important to the plot. You don't have to do the whole thing, but how else do you get Gilbert and Rose back into Dream's attention?

I mean it's edgelordy, but I don't think it's going to be cut. They might just edit out some scenes.

It's just, if I was explaining the series to someone and I'm like "A big deal in book 1 is a diner where everyone gets tortured to death" and "In book 2 they have a convention for serial killers!" I understand if they are like "pass", but later books don't really go too hard on that IIRC and the series as a whole stops being so violent.