Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/Netflix_Sandman...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was great. "I didn't say it anywhere near as nicely."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It also sets up nicely for a High Cost of Living mini-series, if they want one.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Netflix has begun to give out casting descriptions, so those of course leaked, and it's mostly what you'd expect, but it looks like two unexpected things are happening, one being they are moving Brief Lives up in the timeline as they are casting roles for it including Destruction, and it appears Wanda is being expanded and taking the place of Ruby the driver in Brief Lives, which seems to indicate they may not "kill their gays" and let her live. or she may survive a game of you only to die in a fire in Brief Lives, which I don't care for, but we'll see.

Source: https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-sandman-season-2-netflix-casting-four-characters-from-comics/

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 18, 2023

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I was hoping for Season of Mists, but this also has promise.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Season of Mists is also happening, they are casting Delirum for that, and it will be the next story adapted, I'm almost certain, but since Netflix is sort of not treating this as a typical show anymore, it seems it gave the writers the idea to shift stuff around

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If they're moving Brief Lives ahead of A Game of You then it means that Wanda will not necessarily survive or even make it to A Game of You--it's conceivable that they just decided to give Wanda a less transphobically tragic death, or wanted to give her more time in the spotlight so that it wouldn't feel like she was just there to die.

No idea what the plan is at this point though

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Netflix has begun to give out casting descriptions, so those of course leaked, and it's mostly what you'd expect, but it looks like two unexpected things are happening, one being they are moving Brief Lives up in the timeline as they are casting roles for it including Destruction, and it appears Wanda is being expanded and taking the place of Ruby the driver in Brief Lives, which seems to indicate they may not "kill their gays" and let her live. or she may survive a game of you only to die in a fire in Brief Lives, which I don't care for, but we'll see.

Source: https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/the-sandman-season-2-netflix-casting-four-characters-from-comics/

That article is badly mistaken about something very important. Destruction first appeared not in Brief Lives but in The Song of Orpheus, which was published before A Game of You. As a side story it makes logical sense for Orpheus to be done as a post-season capper for S2, like Dream of a Thousand Cats and Calliope were for S1. From a production point of view it would also make sense to shoot both family meetings during S2 as they'll have the set for Destiny's garden.

Another point to consider is the plot. We know that they intend to do Season and Game side by side and interlinked because they've said so. But even if they hadn't, you can't put Brief Lives before A Season of Mists because if you do nearly half the story takes place between Dream killing his son and the Furies seeking vengeance for it, and you can't put it ahead of A Game of You because Dream's motivation for helping Delirium is to take his mind off his failed relationship with Thessaly - or possibly Johanna Constantine in the series - which hasn't happened yet. I don't see any way to make it work that does not have Brief Lives flowing directly into The Kindly Ones.

What's On Netflix is not affiliated with Netflix itself, and the article provides no sources for the claims. I think they're just making a false assumption based on their error.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

otoh a casting call has been put out for giant mechanical spiders

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Voice of Labor posted:

otoh a casting call has been put out for giant mechanical spiders

Jon Peters is producing it?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, I don't like the idea of moving up Brief Lives. Like besides all the specific plot stuff laid out by Jedit, the whole road trip is an emotional shift that comes at right time for the series, and you would lose that impact moving it up.

It is my favorite arc though and if they put Wanda in it, that would be cool.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 18, 2023

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The last bit about them not calling it a second season opens the possibility that they're producing the second and third seasons together, possibly shooting brief lives (and Orpheus) first? It is the less CGI/more location shots chapter of the next three.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The character Wanda would be replacing in Brief Lives dies anyway. I suspect this is not thought through speculation.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It could just all be cascading errors from the assumption that Destruction implies Brief Lives. The audio made Song of Orpheus basically a prelude to that story, which makes some sense for casting reasons, and the trades order stuffs it into Fables and Recollections, but it was originally a special that came out in the middle of A Game of You, sort of becoming a mirror image of the usual side story that happens midway through each other arc.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Season 2 (or whatever it ends up being called since they want to ditch the idea of seasons) has started filming. Scripts are frozen due to the writer's strike but were finished before the strike began, there just isn't a writer working during filming (which could be bad...we shall see)

They are filming on a beach in the UK that looks quite similar to the closing moment of The Song of Orpheus.

Here is a clear set photo of Dream and a figure in white (I can't tell if it's supposed to be an angel or one of the Greeks who are tasked to look after Orpheus) EDIT: It's Orpheus himself lol

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 28, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Season 2 (or whatever it ends up being called since they want to ditch the idea of seasons) has started filming. Scripts are frozen due to the writer's strike but were finished before the strike began, there just isn't a writer working during filming (which could be bad...we shall see)

Hopefully they're able to arrange the shooting schedule to tackle the more straightforward episodes first, so if a deal comes through to end the strike they can get the writers back in to finesse the tough bits. Which kind of tracks with them doing Orpheus first.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

Hopefully they're able to arrange the shooting schedule to tackle the more straightforward episodes first, so if a deal comes through to end the strike they can get the writers back in to finesse the tough bits. Which kind of tracks with them doing Orpheus first.

And they are shooting in two chunks, from now until October and then again In January 2024, so hopefully the strike ends at the very least in between the two blocks.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

More set photos leaked yesterday, and it was very clearly the Funeral scene for Wanda, featuring the tombstone that deadnames her.

It also appears that Indya Moore from Pose has been cast as Wanda. They seem to be a great choice for a more modern take on Wanda. It is still rumored her character is being combined with Ruby, the driver from Brief Lives, but that hasn't been confirmed.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

will oneiros cross a picket line?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Production got shut down, so for now, no dream picket crossing.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

That would be onerous.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Don’t expect season 2 before 2024

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/sandman-new-episodes

Production has restarted, and they even gave us a bit of a behind the scenes photo of Dream and Desire having another sibling chit chat. Since it appears to be in Desire's realm, it seems to lend credence to the rumors we are getting Brief Lives this season in addition to Game of You and Season of Mists (and Gaiman mentioned reveloutionalry france, so we are getting the Thermidor short in some fashion. I assume it will be part of the same episode as Song of Orpheus, similar to how they combined Sound of her Wings and Men of Good Fortune in Season One.

It seems they are continuing to use ambiguous language instead of calling this a second season. I think we may see the episodes spread out over separate releases going forward.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Of interest to Sandman comic book readers:

The character makes an appearance in the just-released Hellblazer: Dead in America #1.

Without spoiling too much, the story does a minor retcon but fits neatly into the established Sandman continuity. The author also includes a brief recap that brings people who (like me) haven't been following Hellblazer for a while up to speed, so it's a perfect jumping-on point. It's also really well written, the art is gorgeous, and it's a fun read overall. Very recommended.

And for Swamp Thing fans, there's a wonderfully terrible pun on "the Green" at the end of the issue.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

Of interest to Sandman comic book readers:

The character makes an appearance in the just-released Hellblazer: Dead in America #1.

Without spoiling too much, the story does a minor retcon but fits neatly into the established Sandman continuity. The author also includes a brief recap that brings people who (like me) haven't been following Hellblazer for a while up to speed, so it's a perfect jumping-on point. It's also really well written, the art is gorgeous, and it's a fun read overall. Very recommended.

And for Swamp Thing fans, there's a wonderfully terrible pun on "the Green" at the end of the issue.

Oh Morpheus looks PISSED, what did John lie about if you don't mind spoiling it in tags?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's just generally a safe assumption to make when you meet John Constantine.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 20, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If Constantine had to keep track of every lie he told beings of great and terrible power then he wouldn’t have time for anything else, and he’s got a lot of loving up to do thank you very much.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Oh Morpheus looks PISSED, what did John lie about if you don't mind spoiling it in tags?

I'll just quote the brief plot overview of the issue I wrote on the Facebook Sandman group a few days ago :

So apparently in the last run, John discovered he had a son, whose soul he promptly managed to drat to hell. As of now, the kid is still alive, though. The same can't be said for John, who is still moving about, but otherwise dead and slowly starting to decay, due to some shenanigans in the last run (which I haven't read yet but intend to pick up).
Since John, his son and their bodyguard are wanted by the police in the UK, they make a run for America, where John hopes to lay low and find a solution for his various problems. In America, he is greeted by a mysterious malevolent entity who manifests as a girl scout. Soon after, Dream (Daniel, with occasional flasbacks to Morpheus' form) turns up and reveals that contrary to John's earlier claims, Constantine did manage to open Dream's bag of sand and manage to steal a few grains. Worse, during the time of Dream's imprisonment (remember, John said he picked up the bag in a garage sale in San Franciso) some other people managed to do the same thing, and thanks to that, over time something has infected and corrupted the American Dream. Daniel makes John an Offer He Can't Refuse (TM) to retrieve the grains of salt in exchange for "a reward" (which is unspecified at the time).
John goes to the swamps of Louisiana to ask Swamp Thing for help, but the Green has changed dramatically.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

It seems weird that Constantine couldn't open the bag when his ex did and was abusing it the entire time she had it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

John does sometimes have the good sense to leave things alone.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

John pissing off higher powers is perfectly encapsulated in the Dangerous Habits arc.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
So is this going to end up being a Vertigo reboot sort of thing? Because with the "corrupted American dream" thing the very first thing I thought of was Milligan's Shade the Changing Man

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

They've been running a Vertigo reboot sort of thing for a while now with the Sandman Universe comics, like The Dreaming series or Nightmare Country. I don't keep up with the individual issues though, I just get the trade paperbacks when they collect them.

I'll have to check out this Constantine series though! I couldn't really get into the older pre-Sandman Hellblazer stuff but maybe this'll stick.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I took a look at the previous Hellblazer run and...holy crap. I remember back in like 2015 someone being pissy that there was a female Constantine-expy being all 'political' and stuff, and this one is basically an erect middle finger rubbed all over the face of Brexit UK.

I came aboard during the Garth Ennis tenure, and I don't mind this one bit so far. And glad to see even a shade of old sourpuss Morpheus again, too.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Sephyr posted:

And glad to see even a shade of old sourpuss Morpheus again, too.

Love the description of old Morpheus here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Waffle! posted:

It seems weird that Constantine couldn't open the bag when his ex did and was abusing it the entire time she had it.

Not at all. The sand in the pouch creates dreams. When John had the pouch, he didn't want to dream because of his recurring PTSD nightmares. All the pouch would do for him if he opened it would be to make him dream those dreams, and so it wouldn't open for him because he didn't really want it to. Rachel, on the other hand, was a junkie who wanted nothing but dreams, and the pouch gave her surfeit.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Jedit posted:

Not at all. The sand in the pouch creates dreams. When John had the pouch, he didn't want to dream because of his recurring PTSD nightmares. All the pouch would do for him if he opened it would be to make him dream those dreams, and so it wouldn't open for him because he didn't really want it to. Rachel, on the other hand, was a junkie who wanted nothing but dreams, and the pouch gave her surfeit.

I read a theory somewhere a few years back (i.e. long before the recent retcon) that Desire had a hand in enabling Rachel to open the bag, since her want was big enough. Just another in a long line of Desire's "try to destroy my older brother" games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

I read a theory somewhere a few years back (i.e. long before the recent retcon) that Desire had a hand in enabling Rachel to open the bag, since her want was big enough. Just another in a long line of Desire's "try to destroy my older brother" games.

That doesn't make sense. Dream was never in danger from the pouch, and even if he was Rachel was using it while he was in Burgess's prison. Desire would have required foreknowledge of his escape to make a plan involving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Jedit posted:

That doesn't make sense. Dream was never in danger from the pouch, and even if he was Rachel was using it while he was in Burgess's prison. Desire would have required foreknowledge of his escape to make a plan involving it.

True. It's not a very good theory.