Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm a huge fan of the original and I was a bit wary on how this will turn out, but so far I've generally liked it save a few minor nitpicks, such as Corinthian everywhere doing plot exposition.

The double whammy with 24 Hours and Sound of her wings (5 & 6) were just as impactful as they were in the comics and that is where the series really took off. So far (seen up to episode 7) the MVP has been David Thewlis for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Mob posted:

Had my fingers crossed Fun Land would be played by the guy who did Ed Kemper in Mindhunters, but I'm just happy they kept the convention.

Fun Land casting was spot on, though, he was quite sufficiently creepy.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Was Hob's line about chaining them together and then throwing them all into the ocean not until later when he talked about it to his girlfriend at the ren fair?

e: I was also thinking about the changes they made in 24 hours. Some stuff was left out but what was in was quite disturbing as well. I felt like Marsh's confession to Bette was even worse because it made it more personal that way than just doing it in prison.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 6, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This version of Dream (ch.9) does not really come off as super powerful, but he really nails the awkward dickhead aspect of Dream he's in the early story arcs.

e: Also Stephen Fry listening to panel discussions in a serial killer convention rules

I wonder if they omitted the Fun Land line about "the best part is the theme park owners will always hush it up" because they were worried that An Imaginary Big Theme Park Corporation will be mad or was it deemed too morbid.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Aug 7, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was a bit unhappy with how they set up Despair as basically a NEET cat lady but casting for Desire more than makes up for it. Its entire character is so spot on.

I hope they change Despair a bit if/when we get Season of Mists on Season 2.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I think the vision of Despair as someone with severe I-haven't-left-the-couch-for-days depression was a good update that feels very relevant now.

I guess we didn't see her enough to judge too much. I'm going into speculation, comic spoilers though

It'd be nice if she could get some additional character build before we dive into the family meeting in Season of Mists. Maybe they could basically take a bit of her mirror watching from Brief lives and then have Destiny call her in, to give the viewers a bit of an idea what she is like.

I've always enjoyed Despair as a character, in the sense that she views some horrible stuff through her mirrors but is very fragile and even kind when it comes to her own persona and family. I guess she's just very good at her job/function.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I would love if they did the anthology stories as interludes to a main storyline within Season 2. Staging Midsummer night's dream could be a production nightmare, though, and Dream of a thousand cats would require a fair few CGI cats...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

happyhippy posted:

She does say she doesn't visit everyone.
And she is to carry them over only, she doesn't really matter about the method it was done.
She never seems to watch them dying or being killed.

I don't remember this line but if she says that in the show it's directly conflicting the comic (or generally what I thought Death was about). It's kind of a thing that Death says everyone meets her twice in their life.

Comic reference from #20 (Facade)

As to why she didn't help Dream, well, I'm guessing he isn't kinda big on admitting defeat or asking for help. If she did interfere without asking then he'd taken it even more badly.

e: A sidenote about issue #20:

It has one of the funniest Death lines in the series, where she tells Rainie that Ra keeps making Metamorphae to fight the never-ending battle against Apep, The Serpent that Never Dies.

"Dumb. I told him: 'The serpent that never dies is _dead_. I took her three thousand years ago! The never-ending battle ended...'"

It's yet another reminder in Sandman that gods are some of the dumbest beings around.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 17, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Actually, I can't remember any time in the comics where he used the mask for anything besides a symbol of office.

He wears it when he goes back to Hell in Season of Mists. They even make a point where Lucifer says "Take off that stupid helm and we'll talk" and Dream only does so after Lucifer promises he won't harm him in any way. And even then he's sweating like crazy after taking the helm off. So it's pretty much what he counted on would protect him from Lucifer, and it must have some serious power.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 17, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

I have no idea why Netflix decided to put the two episodes together into a single episode. It's not as though they are constrained by runtime or anything. Perhaps a way to pay fewer residuals?

I think Sturridge really did some great work in Calliope, playing it very stoically while allowing glimpses into the depth of the emotions which Dream experiences but doesn't allow himself to convey. Dude would do great in a traditional Victorian/Gothic romance.

Haven't seen the new episode yet, but the originals are both a single issue of the comic, so I imagine they have to stretch out a bit just to fill the half of an hour long episode.

I think it's a good way to basically show more one-off stories, which there are quite a few.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I agree. I think they'll pick and choose the short stories that are beloved and/or important to the overall story, so we'll see Thermidor and Song of Orpheus for sure, but also probably Midsummer's Night Dream at some point (especially since they introduced Shakespeare already)

Midsummer night's dream would be insane to do with real actors, but maybe it could work with a different kind of animated feature?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

But if/when they do get Season 2 and Season of Mists Delirium will be featured right at the beginning in the family gathering. Personally I think they're gonna open with Tales in the sand and then go right into Destiny's garden from there, since it's basically Nada's story all over.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Facade was a great little story and I'm pretty sad that they probably won't do it in the TV adaptation due to main heroine being a DC heroine (albeit a very obscure one)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Game of You is one of my favorite stories, and the artist is well suited for the Land fantasy stuff with the weird animals and creatures. The stuff in the city though, WOOF. Wanda is drawn very weirdly in some cases, and also the homeless woman who is afraid of dogs looks straight out of a really bad minstrel show design. I am not sure how intentional any of it was, but yeah. It's a yikes.

Supposedly they had some kind of big screw-up with the pencil job there. Colleen Doran's art looks fine later on. But the pages where they wake up from the nightmares, wow that's bad.

Reading Sandman the first time as a teenager, I thought Game of You was really boring, sort of a sidetrack between two really good, big picture story arcs. But later on I've started to appreciate it more. It is a sad one and has some archaic attitudes but like Neil has said, sometimes Gods (and Moons) can stuff their opinions in their sacred recta.

For the TV Show, it has some nice juxtaposition with the colorful fantasy elements and the gritty suburb horror stories.

My Lovely Horse posted:

From the scene where Hazel is surprised Wanda has, and I quote, a thingie, it seems like she's supposed to actually pass quite well. Then again, Hazel is not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

Hazel's views on contraception in this arc should already clue you on that.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 31, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Netflix: okay so Emperor Norton was Alexander Burgess all along, good writing there, Neil. we need a huge twist at the end of S2 or people won't binge it. how about after their sword fight, Dream learns that Desire is Burgess' father too and has engineered his entrapment from the start, and re-traps him!
Neil Gaiman through gritted teeth: stories are mutable. stories are mutable. stories are mutable

Needs more giant mechanical spiders

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They cared about source material so much they didn't want to use any of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Waffle! posted:

I like all these ideas for Delirium, and agree her look should be wildly inconsistent. The only thing I want to see is one of her living fish balloons. Probably named Prince or something. And Barnabas!

I know it was suggested but I really like the idea of Delirium being kinda like signal noise, for the lack of better term, barely keeping one form together and slipping in and out.