Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Mine that wall, it's the dwarven way.

2-3 medium sized rooms sounds sufficient for starters.

I also agree that setting up agriculture seems the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Mine that wall, it's the dwarven way.

2-3 medium sized rooms sounds sufficient for starters.

I also agree that setting up agriculture seems the way to go.

:emptyquote:

Also, dorf me during the next migration wave.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

we need to be growing fermentable stuff as soon as possible, let's get the booze going

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If we're going to build a tower how about a very tall one out of stone (obsidian?) in the center of a large circular green area and have the heavy industry and such underground? Like a dwarven Isengard?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I would like to join the fortress as Zeniel , I will be a herbalist. I will gather herbs from this intense swamp unto legend.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

I'm terrible at cooking in real life, but maybe my dorf self will turn out better at it.

Edit: Oh and yeah, Build both up and down, tower dwarves time.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, while we're at it, might I propose: stone structures should be build on solid ground, dig through the earth to the rock layer and work up from there. No such obligations for wooden ones, of course.

Also dorf me please, no specific requests, just whatever dorf you have lying about.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
Dig into the rock wall - if it was good enough for our ancestors, it's certainly good enough for us.

Two or three medium sized rooms.

Agriculture is probably not a bad idea. Grow stuff, make booze.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Ist's do something different.

Make your base under the river!

Oh yeah, dwarf me, too. Forgot about that.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I like the tower idea so my vote is for whatever starting base design facilitates that.

For now, though, we need food and booze.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Dwarf Tower,

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013

I raise you by some German heavy metal:

Strike the Earth by Booze Control

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Veloxyll posted:

Base location - near the bend in the river. The rock wall is too close to the edge of the map to make an effective fortress entrance.

Several small rooms. A barracks, meeting hall, store room and first farm room one level down is a good start. And it should be into soft soil rather than hard stone, so very quick to carve out.

And agriculture.

Name the Duck Snake

This all sounds very good, +1

Oh, and dorf me please, as a musician (percussionist preference) or something else useless if possible.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Okay folks, thanks again for your participation, I'm psyched and currently maybe halfway through typing up the next post, and I'll also be doing the first of our actions today too I think.

In the meantime, I thought I'd provide the Dwarf Therapist "cards" or whatever you wanna call 'em for your dwarves! Like I said, this is the real meat of their characters, so there's a lot of personality to be found here usually. I haven't looked yet, but you can!

Enjoy :D

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Also have the supplies list before I forget it in the wall of text I'm cooking up:

I tried to make it more readable / screen space efficient but it ended up kind of comically bad, I'll find a better method in the future lol.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why are several of the goods listed with a question mark? They can't reliably count as high as 10?

Kodos666 posted:

I raise you by some German heavy metal:

Strike the Earth by Booze Control
Cool. But that's a very undwarven band name. :v:

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Poil posted:

Why are several of the goods listed with a question mark? They can't reliably count as high as 10?

Cool. But that's a very undwarven band name. :v:

Why learn math when you can learn how to hit rock with pick better :)

If I recall they need one of the Noble roles, Administrator? in order to get accurate counts. The wiki says Bookkeeper, actually. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bookkeeper.

I gotta check out this dwarf music you all have been posting :v:

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

CHAPTER 1, PART 2

After a brief pause in business due to unrelated goblin-centric matters, the council back in Mountainhomes has returned to hold a series of votes on the strategy for the soon-to-be-christened Nekolerith “Skulllabors” fortress.

The council has spoken! It demands the Nekolerithians mine out our fortress from the northern cliffside, that we build a couple medium sized rooms (with some ideas on what kind of rooms), agricultural and brewing development first priorities, and most importantly, a tower that reaches to the sky, goddamnit! *pounds dwarven fist on table*

(Source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xJ8OYR)

A couple of other suggestions, such as utilizing the river in some capacity, building thick defense, securing our stockpiles, all also sounded good, so I’ll keep these on record as possible next projects.

Our all-important duckling has been named Snake, which I think is absolutely adorable. I should hope these dwarves would lay down their every life for it, should the situation come to task.

We also have cat names of Mira and Petronius the Arbitor, great names!

The vote results can be viewed here, again by my manual counting:

Back in Mountainhomes, a dwarf named Wokow has joined the queue to be shipped out to Skulllabors in a military capacity. Another dwarf, naive to the world of fortress-craft and adventure-having, has also signed up, named Alien Arcana (a strange name amongst dwarves, but it builds character). Alien Arcana hopes to serve as a stonecarver. Before long, the council at Mountainhomes also saw an application from Drakenel, a paranoid looking dwarf signing up for military enlistment, and Pyroi, so excited to see the great sights of Nekolerith that the dwarf applied with no duty position requested. In time, the council also received post from a “Heretic Mind”, also signing up for fortress duty with no particular role in mind (except perhaps that of forwarding the cause of heresy). The postman also carried a very soot-stained and discolored letter from one “Zeniel”, an herbalist requesting to serve, although said postman was a little displeased. If the list of recruits was ever in danger of running out, it would soon be rebuffed once more, as Sigsegv (any role), Creole Bream (any role) and Sebzilla (percussionist / something useless) would soon find themselves petitioning the council for work as well.

(Source: https://www.deviantart.com/turbopastry/art/Dwarf-negotiation-card-323690714)

Outside of the major decisions we’ve established, there are a handful of miscellaneous items to address.

First, Spelling wants to train the duckling if possible, and I fully support this effort. I think we can make it competent at fighting or something? I’m a little rusty on animal training, but I’ll assign you to it and see what we can accomplish.

Dervinosdoom wanted to know what starting supplies we had, addressed in the previous post (sorry again the formatting ended up terrible).

You all REALLY want to build up high, lmao. I’d say out of the things possible in Dwarf Fortress you picked one of the areas I’m definitely not good or experienced at right off the cuff, and I salute you for that. I think we’ll be alright though, I’ll probably just need some guidance on how to execute the vertical build properly. I know how to work the game, so its just a matter of being given clear instructions, I suppose.

On that note, Poil’s “dwarven Isengard” idea sounds awesome, and I’d love it if we could accomplish that. I can’t really comment on the viability of the build, but I’m all for it if we can pull it off.

Okay so, I have my instructions from the council as to how the Nekolerithian dwarves should proceed, which I will carry out posthaste. I’ll start the build in the mountains right away and post an update on how that’s going. I can start some basic agriculture for food pretty easily too, and I’m a little rusty on brewing since I seem to always be slow to get that going every time I pick up DF again, but I think I can manage.

I promise at least one or two updates in a handful of minutes, showing the creation of our medium rooms in the cliffside, and probably some basic agriculture too.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Snuff Melange posted:

Why learn math when you can learn how to hit rock with pick better :)

If I recall they need one of the Noble roles, Administrator? in order to get accurate counts. The wiki says Bookkeeper, actually. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bookkeeper.

I gotta check out this dwarf music you all have been posting :v:

Basically yeah. There's a job you can assign where they count up the goods you have. And you can set how accurate you want the count. Otherwise they just take uneducated guesses

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh, building up isn't that complicated. It's just labor and resource intensive. (and a little tedious so you don't have the idiots build themselves into a corner.) I wouldn't suggest the tower immediately. Gotta secure your resources first before you splurge them on stupid pointless poo poo, as is the dwarven way.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

:cripes:

Okay so... we may have embarked without a pickaxe. I've been sitting here trying to figure out why the dang dwarves won't mine, and I inspected our Stockpiles > Tools to find a disturbing lack of picks.

So exploring solutions. I'm thinking easiest might be to save the world, and re-embark, picking mostly the same stuff minus the extra skills and extra animals it takes to buy a pickaxe. I don't really know of any way to manipulate the game to give me the pickaxe I need...

Edit: It seems we can actually manipulate the game: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/Utility:DFHack/createitem. Is anyone opposed to giving ourselves, say, an anvil and a pickaxe? I think if memory serves those are the critical ones.

Snuff Melange fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 14, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Just do it and call it DM fiat.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
My dwarf sure seems fun at parties. The hatred of fire snakes is justified

Tossing in an anvil and pick sounds fine to me, kind of need those.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Snuff Melange posted:

Okay so... we may have embarked without a pickaxe. I've been sitting here trying to figure out why the dang dwarves won't mine, and I inspected our Stockpiles > Tools to find a disturbing lack of picks.

So exploring solutions. I'm thinking easiest might be to save the world, and re-embark, picking mostly the same stuff minus the extra skills and extra animals it takes to buy a pickaxe. I don't really know of any way to manipulate the game to give me the pickaxe I need...

Edit: It seems we can actually manipulate the game: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/Utility:DFHack/createitem. Is anyone opposed to giving ourselves, say, an anvil and a pickaxe? I think if memory serves those are the critical ones.

Nope! You could make it like gifts from one of the dwarven gods. Dwarves must dig and smith!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Dorf me as an annoying noble when we get one of those. You can drown me after fulfilling my mandate to Build one floor of the tower entirely out of glass blocks.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

If it's not too late, could I be dorfified into a scholar if the need for one comes up, please?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh, we're clearly dwarfdom's best and brightest, aren't we, scampering off into the wilderness without half our tools.

What god/s do we worship in this place? I think we're going to need them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dorf me please, so I can live out my totally-lifelong dream of doing nothing but making cheese.

Snuff Melange posted:

This is off to a great start and I love it. :allears:

When it comes to building up, I think using temporary bridges and up/down stairs as scaffolding works fine. But it's been many years since I last played.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Hmm so it took a little more time to parse the wiki to figure out the createitem thing than I expected, hence no second post last night. After waking up this morning with a fresh mind and eyes, I've learned:
1.) the correct createitem command to give us picks, and more importantly
2.) that picks actually go under "Weapons" in Stocks instead of tools, so in fact we do have picks for mining.

This brings us back to square one of not understanding why the dwarves won't mine though. :raise: I'm taking another look now and tinkering.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

CHAPTER 1, PART 3

Well, Dwarf Fortress is a complex and silly game. Not exactly sure what the issue was, but based on some rough googling, I was advised to tinker with stockpiling Weapons (picks included in that category).

After creating a Weapon stockpile and giving the dwarves a minute to haul stuff to it, Spelling and Megane were happy to take up the 2 copper picks we found hidden in a dusty barrel and begin work on the fort entrance! :D

Now I just need a little time to get these dwarves digging out our medium rooms and starting agriculture as discussed! Probably a few updates showing that to be posted shortly!

Snuff Melange fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 14, 2022

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Another update: the fortress is beginning to take shape. I made an initial flimsy wood wall around our fort entrances for security and organization, made some initial stockpiles, and began digging down so we can get stone for use in a wood furnace construction.

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Whilst attending to the swamp and overseeing construction of the fundamental parts of the new Nekolerith cliffside buildings, a horn of unmistakably Dwarven origin sounded to the north, and the good people of Skulllabors looked up to see a caravan from Mountainhomes arriving.

The following dwarves have arrived and joined the fortress:

Plus here are the combat skills for Mathwyn, since military enlistment was requested:

Welcome to Nekolerith, "Skulllabors", recruits!

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

CHAPTER 1, PART 3.5

With the arrival of Mathwyn, the first military-dedicated dwarf the council at Mountainhomes has sent us, it seemed appropriate the enlist the first military squad for future emergencies and defensive needs. Naturally, Mathwyn will lead, and after having some one-on-one time with the Nekolerithian dwarves, a handful more dwarves have been drafted to serve the military on an as-needed basis (Cyflan, Werevolvo, and Dervinosdoom).

Mathwyn, would you like to rename your squad from it's default name? (Currently "Mechanical Infamy").

Snuff Melange fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 14, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dwarf Fortress is indeed a very complex and silly game. I mostly gave up when they overhauled the military as I couldn't manage to figure it out anymore. :v:

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

I brought my Drake posted:

If it's not too late, could I be dorfified into a scholar if the need for one comes up, please?

Yes, and fun name :D I'm adding you and the other people requesting "dorfing" to the queue!

Edit:

Poil posted:

Dwarf Fortress is indeed a very complex and silly game. I mostly gave up when they overhauled the military as I couldn't manage to figure it out anymore. :v:

Yeah, I'm not sure if I utilize the military as much as I perhaps could. Typically I get them a nice barracks, have them train on a schedule, and try to get them nice armour and weapons. Beyond that, I mostly hope for the best, usually.

The Pocket Savior
Feb 16, 2011
I see my dwarf is about 75% the opposite of me.

If you need more military dwarfs, you have my bow.

I, uh, do have a bow, don't I?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dreams of mastering a skill, is a legendary bone carver. :psydwarf:

GIVE ME BONES, I NEED THEM.

I can make awesome bone crafts and bone bolts!

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

"Tends to avoid physical confrontations"

A fantastic trait in a soldier. :v:

Considering my dorf's preference for the theoretical over the practical I vote to name the squad "Abstract Solutions".

Edit: In fact I'm amazed at how awful most of my dorf's personality traits are for being a soldier, that profile has 'armchair general' written all over it. :allears:

Mathwyn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 14, 2022

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
looks like a bookkeeper is needed asap if there was trouble finding the picks, hahaha.

My vote is that the tower is used to hold our military, and we keep the industry underground. floor 1 for wood crafting, floor two for stone crafting, floor three for metal crafting.

Mathwyn posted:

Edit: In fact I'm amazed at how awful most of my dorf's personality traits are for being a soldier, that profile has 'armchair general' written all over it. :allears:

can we change his job name to armchair general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
Gem cutter and swordsdwarf, eh? Kinda sounds like a proper dwarven version of a warrior poet. Nice.