Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly that didn't look nearly as bad as it could've been. You definitely had the advantage of having played before though, I can see how that reverse electric floor would be a nightmare the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
That this floor thingie is also reversed, hosed me up so many times.

but yes, that looks way less painful, then my memories tried to tell me

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
Yeah I was mostly worried about the rotating puzzle because I usually screw it up and it takes forever, but it ended up going completely fine lmao.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
I have to say though. i forgot just HOW MASSIVELY they padded this game.
and not even all teh backtracking. things like crates taking two hits to open is kinda weird

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
We've put the 2nd Spellstone back into the thing so now we just need to go back to Thorntail Hollow without getting distracted or kidnapped and sentenced to death or anything like that, okay? Okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0sgi7xoPeg

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
every time a rare game does anything even vaguely approaching native americans it is deeply cringe and as such this area has haunted my memories for ages

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Krazoa spirits? We don't need no steenking Krazoa spirits!

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]

Kinu Nishimura posted:

every time a rare game does anything even vaguely approaching native americans it is deeply cringe and as such this area has haunted my memories for ages

It's one of my least favorite areas in the game but at least it's quick.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
The voice acting in this game, especially in lightfoot village, is top notch 10/10 no notes.

also despite everything being idiotic, i always chuckle at MuscleFoot just punching the other lightfoot out of screen.

The test of strength is so dumb and was reeally frustrating as a kid. because they programmed it with rubberband for whatever insane reason, so if you start mashing like a maniac right at the start, you have no chance of winning this thing.

also "health in this game is the privilige to ignore things" might be my favorite quote so far

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]

Kasrkin posted:

The test of strength is so dumb and was reeally frustrating as a kid. because they programmed it with rubberband for whatever insane reason, so if you start mashing like a maniac right at the start, you have no chance of winning this thing.

It's a lot easier now as an adult where mashing good for 10 seconds isn't too hard.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does Fox's staff shot use a sound effect at least as old as the original Heretic?

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]

SelenicMartian posted:

Does Fox's staff shot use a sound effect at least as old as the original Heretic?

I think this game uses quite a few old sfx library sounds.

No Wilhelm scream though.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Every time I click on this thread all the weird little things catch me by surprise again, like Fox's "holy gently caress this is the greatest thing ever" face every time he picks up literally any object, or the spinning psychedelic hellvoid teleportation sequences, or Tricky's terrible swimming animation

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
it's a bizarrely mesmerizing game for all the little things even though all the large things are completely uninteresting

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
Speaking of large and uninteresting things it's time for Fox to visit the Walled City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BpxU0D0Bmw

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You described that boss fight as "coulda been kinda cool, but just ended up being really boring"

That's should be the box quote for Star Fox Adventures as a whole.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
that's it? that's... that's it?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I'm very sure that Tomb Raider had a better version of that boss fight.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I always wondered why everyone was so mad at this game, because on paper it doesn't sound too bad, but it's worse than I thought. Also Fox's item pickup animation is so annoying to me for reasons I can't articulate. Like they saw Link's pickup animation and challenged themselves to make a wrong version of it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Space Kablooey posted:

I always wondered why everyone was so mad at this game, because on paper it doesn't sound too bad, but it's worse than I thought. Also Fox's item pickup animation is so annoying to me for reasons I can't articulate. Like they saw Link's pickup animation and challenged themselves to make a wrong version of it.

Because he does it for everything while link gets a short one for random items and a proper one with the whole fanfare for actually important things, and even then its unobtrusive.

Also fox does it when receiving things from npcs so i just assume he immeditaely drops it so he can do the goofy pick up dance

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Kablooey posted:

For me imo it's that he looks like he's raising the thing up and also kind of fist pumping?... and it all seems so slow.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Because he does it for everything while link gets a short one for random items and a proper one with the whole fanfare for actually important things, and even then its unobtrusive.

Also fox does it when receiving things from npcs so i just assume he immeditaely drops it so he can do the goofy pick up dance

While it does a play a lot more than it should, I meant more about the animation itself:

TwoPair posted:

For me imo it's that he looks like he's raising the thing up and also kind of fist pumping?... and it all seems so slow.

Yeah, it's slow and he kinda wiggles his body in a way that doesn't quite fits his character, I don't know how else to describe. Doesn't help that Krystal shares the same animation as well, and while I want to say that it fits her character better, all we know about her, besides her tragic backstory and "lost her staff", is that she is encased in a crystal.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
There's no good gifs of Fox's item getting animation so I made one real quick.

Anyway it's time to go back to the Volcano Force Point Temple for the last time and then also do some shopping for the last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cjNgDo2d7U

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Our most highbrow episode to date!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nope, nope. I'm moving to Cape Claw.

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
We bought a Gold Root last time and there was a mammoth looking for one of those so let's go give it back to him and hope it arbitrarily leads to something productive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJF39HedJOQ

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fenns posted:

We bought a Gold Root last time and there was a mammoth looking for one of those so let's go give it back to him and hope it arbitrarily leads to something productive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJF39HedJOQ

Foxes have lips. Elephants (and I assume mammoths) have lips. What they lack is hands capable of holding a horn.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
fucks mccloud

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I want to watch someone who has no knowledge of this game and only knows Star Fox from, like, 64 and Smash and so on, watch the cutscene of Fox, uh, releasing the Krazoa spirit

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

loving Bafmodads,man

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
Haven't had time to record this month so we'll finish up Star Fox after the new year.

I think there's about 2 hours of game left to do and I guess I should, at some point, look at the maze and scarab game room.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
This is my favorite terrible game

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]
It's been a while but we're back and it's time to go get the final Spellstone on Dragon Rock, which is a great level with a super good really interesting boss fight I promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2bHeM2rU50

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
The energy in the call shifted so dramatically right after she missed that gold ring, it was really something.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

was that an attempt at doing the T2 thumbs up in the lava in the boss death animation

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]

Mico posted:

The energy in the call shifted so dramatically right after she missed that gold ring, it was really something.

Star Fox Adventures had to remind us real quick what game we were playing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
you know i really like, i have memories of this area being way longer than this but maybe i just repeatedly failed all the barrel trials. that level really was like 10 minutes' worth of actual gameplay and then a bunch of rail shooters huh. like the entire thing. that was the final major dungeon

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kinu Nishimura posted:

you know i really like, i have memories of this area being way longer than this but maybe i just repeatedly failed all the barrel trials. that level really was like 10 minutes' worth of actual gameplay and then a bunch of rail shooters huh. like the entire thing. that was the final major dungeon

The rail shooter for the towers took me something like 50 tries. I honestly can't remember if that's where I gave up.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Kinu Nishimura posted:

it's really obvious where they ran out of money and development time with this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, this whole section screams "we had a final area with zero content filled in, three days 'til launch, and the code for on-rails shooting already lying around."