Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
its been a while but I remember LF being funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3IPRGK6F8

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
LF and YCS forever bitch

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The Circumstances are certainly much more interesting in the age of c-spam

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lf was better because it had infantreal vs heebie gbs.

also wesley button and butt cord.

on the other hand it had Mrs Badcrumble and Fall Sick and Die who loving sucked poo poo. and ozma. and all the LF folks that have come back, and remaining LF posters like henry kwinkle and tars have been embarrassing libs. so it's probably nostalgia

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
LF had activism https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3129931 so that means it's strictly worse than cspam

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
if you want lf nostalgia there's two twitters
https://twitter.com/DubyaEraLeft
https://twitter.com/ObamaEraCons

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

ellasmith posted:

its been a while but I remember LF being funnier

i dont have archives what were the last 10 threads posted in in LF

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i remember way more jokes on LF and way less Jokers

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

imagine a maoist forum before xi jinping

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
LF at its best was both funnier and more informative than cspam has ever been.

Infrateal vs. HeebieGBS was mentioned, but The Last Days Of Capitalism might be the best thread in the history of the forums.

But cspam has not gotten as bad as LF was towards the end. We have rules and resources regatrding suicidal ideation that they uh, didn't. The trend towards the 2010-11 tumblr style of "social justice" was also getting more present towards the end.

Cspam also has flat out way less posters but whether thats good or bad kinda depends on what you are looking for in forums.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Xaris posted:

butt cord.

id say the line but apparently all mentions of tugging are now banned

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Idk

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i'm only posting here until someone mentions the best somethingawful wiki on the internet

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Is maggot master still online somewhere

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
never posted in LF. i played battlefield during those years instead of caring about george bush. now explain to me how LF matches up vs cspam coolzone gunman

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
LF was better/funnier at its best, the 'spam's worst is way better than endstage LF tho. I think part of that is just somethingawful's all megathreads all the time culture wasnt as prevalent as in LF's heyday so posters were more willing to workshop bits and create new threads on a whim.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I liked lf better mostly because it had more original threads and less one million page megathreads. Many of the threads were bad but it was nice that ppl were willing to swing and miss, and the ones that were good were really good. I assume all the cspam megathreads have their occasional banger posts/riffs but the only people who end up reading them are the thread regulars, bc no one else can be bothered.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Brrrmph posted:

When the lf offsites all started melting down and splintering over and over a handful of the better poster all just dipped and got tumblrs that I ended up following. She's one of them.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/view/ratliker1917

Stopped going by maggot master after coming out as trans and also hasn't posted in a full year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Brrrmph posted:

i think he ended up ion some sass offsite or something

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Xaris posted:

i think he ended up ion some sass offsite or something

offsites looking better and better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Yadoppsi posted:

LF was better/funnier at its best, the 'spam's worst is way better than endstage LF tho. I think part of that is just somethingawful's all megathreads all the time culture wasnt as prevalent as in LF's heyday so posters were more willing to workshop bits and create new threads on a whim.

yea i'd agree with this

end-of-life LF was loving dire, like basically all the poo poo cspam makes fun of tumblr-lib brains for but homegroan variety of just getting increasingly more insane and check ur privilege, darfur war ophan poo poo. i mostly blame ozma and fsad for banning everyone else funny and leaving only the dumbest eggplant wizard/slashie brigade around

but i would disagree that megathread culture wasn't present: LF had a shitton of megathreads (obamarama) but it also had like 9999 people on at any given time so a lot more just random poo poo would come and go. we're kinda at the point of a community toilet-bowl swirling deathspiral where goons are dropping like flies for various reasons and now only have about 300-users per forum, so like a one-off gimmick thread will only get a few posts before dying off since there isn't a critical mass of users to work with on them

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:29 on Jul 12, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
thats why we need to re-elect donald trump,. its for the good of the forums.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Homeless Friend posted:

thats why we need to re-elect donald trump,. its for the good of the forums.

Population will start to shoot up when the primaries start and drop after the election, pretty much regardless of who actually wins.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

but i would disagree that megathread culture wasn't present: LF had a shitton of megathreads (obamarama) but it also had like 9999 people on at any given time so a lot more just random poo poo would come and go. we're kinda at the point of a community toilet-bowl swirling deathspiral where goons are dropping like flies for various reasons and now only have about 300-users per forum, so like a one-off gimmick thread will only get a few posts before dying off since there isn't a critical mass of users to work with on them

This might be part of it, but looking through the archives from 2008 there were ~23000 threads posted in LF in that year alone and only 5 of them had more than 5k posts--4 election threads and the LFest pics thread. For comparison cspam has had only ~2500 threads in the last 7 years and ~120 in that time span have had over 5000 posts, with many having literally hundreds of thousands of replies. It's a pretty stark difference.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Better? Worse? I don't trust my memory to reliably make those kinds of qualitative appraisals. That thing in your skull is a lying wet sack of lipids. Never believe what it tells you about the past

Besides, why does it matter, lf is dead, and we got cspam now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

This might be part of it, but looking through the archives from 2008 there were ~23000 threads posted in LF in that year alone and only 5 of them had more than 5k posts--4 election threads and the LFest pics thread. For comparison cspam has had only ~2500 threads in the last 7 years and ~120 in that time span have had over 5000 posts, with many having literally hundreds of thousands of replies. It's a pretty stark difference.
that's not exactly a great comparison because there were about 9999 renditions of obamarama appreciation station and or pyf political cartoons or freerepublic megathread: they were usually just killed monthly and rebirthed because i think threads used to straight up break when there were too many posts thanks to web 1.0 code. you'd have to sum up all the cycled iterations to get a more accurate comparison

but yeah when you get 23000 a year with 9999 users vs like ~350/yr with <600 users, megathreads aren't noticeable when there's an insane amount of active people that can keep other one-off joke or one-off topical [taibbi] [56k] threads going. But not so great when there's almost no one posting anymore and its kinda like why put in the effort that'll get like 3 pity posts. most subs these days are exclusively megathreads from games to imp zone to byob to cspam to yospos because they also just dont have many people around anymore.

kinda like how most multiplayer indie game attempts are DOA, or when other MP games start spiralling it flushes pretty quickly, since they just dont have a critical mass of players. at the rate things are going, we'll probably only have like 50 active posters a few years from now and people will only check in like once a week to catch up on the 50 posts they missed.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Xaris posted:

that's not exactly a great comparison because there were about 9999 renditions of obamarama appreciation station and or pyf political cartoons or freerepublic megathread: they were usually just killed monthly and rebirthed because i think threads used to straight up break when there were too many posts thanks to web 1.0 code. you'd have to sum up all the cycled iterations to get a more accurate comparison

but yeah when you get 23000 a year with 9999 users vs like ~350/yr with <600 users, megathreads aren't noticeable when there's an insane amount of active people that can keep other one-off joke or one-off topical [taibbi] [56k] threads going. But not so great when there's almost no one posting anymore and its kinda like why put in the effort that'll get like 3 pity posts. most subs these days are exclusively megathreads from games to imp zone to byob to cspam to yospos because they also just dont have many people around anymore.

kinda like how most multiplayer indie game attempts are DOA, or when other MP games start spiralling it flushes pretty quickly, since they just dont have a critical mass of players. at the rate things are going, we'll probably only have like 50 active posters a few years from now and people will only check in like once a week to catch up on the 50 posts they missed.

It’s certainly not a perfect comparison, but I feel like the napkin math illustrates the point. I guess partly I just miss the era where there were lots of short threads riffing on a subject that would either die or get many lols within 10 pages or so. The classic “humor in uniform” thread (an all timer imo) was only 4 pages long! I think it’s mostly just that a lot of posters browse from the control panel and only read their regular threads, while I still love to read via the main forums and get excited when someone makes a new thread.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i don't have time to read more than like 4 threads because they get so many posts. often i can't keep up with more than one thread.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I was kinda shocked that I had to be the person to make a thread when this forum produced a shooter

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the cspam goons trying to pin the shooter on D&D were so weak. we stand behind every single one of our posters & all their irl terrorism. you can't separate the artist and the art

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

reading back a lot of people are bizzarely reluctant to even make fun of him. the vibe here is really hosed.

Farm Frenzy has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Jul 12, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

It’s certainly not a perfect comparison, but I feel like the napkin math illustrates the point. I guess partly I just miss the era where there were lots of short threads riffing on a subject that would either die or get many lols within 10 pages or so. The classic “humor in uniform” thread (an all timer imo) was only 4 pages long! I think it’s mostly just that a lot of posters browse from the control panel and only read their regular threads, while I still love to read via the main forums and get excited when someone makes a new thread.
sure i agree, I miss them too. but there's also just not enough people posting to keep riffing or anything back-n-forth going 'cause it'll be like 2 posters. I guess my greater point is it's just a trend as community swirl down the drain to small numbers that it just ends up consolidating to a few places where there's activity, and that's happening across all the subs and even other sites.

I didn't even know you could browse from control panel or maybe i just never used the bookmark feature ever. jeff, plz delete bookmarking threads tia.

I'll be honest I don't really make new threads because i'm just not funny or interesting enough (and i mentally hold a high bar for what a funny thread should be in my head), plus most of the enthusiasm/fire of doing has long faded, and i get stupid new-thread post anxiety because i'm also acutely aware of all those details. i would postulate most goons feel some similar permutation of those. but i shall attempt trying to do more short-thread attempts if the creative juices and stars align. i can't really bitch too much when I mostly just stick to glenn/podcast/pop culture/games/economics/sometimes ufo thread and not much else myself.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

cspam should bring back the lf tradition of openly stealing poo poo from fyad and start doing threadnesday

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

reading back a lot of people are bizzarely reluctant to even make fun of him. the vibe here is really hosed.

it was during the era of cspam getting the magnifying glass for violent fantasy goon justice posting lol. makes people less willing to walk up to the line of parody

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
of course, cspam goons aren't too funny or bright, thats also a reason

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
orC-SPAM

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

peak lf stands alone but its worst (last) moments were absolutely way loving worse than c-spam's worst, which was 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
stalin