Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

lobster shirt posted:

Honorable Governor,

*snip*

Sincerely,
(ME!)

Freep was a "special" place. Its weird to think how it was genuinely influential once upon a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

I was too young for lf, my mom (kinda rip) wouldn't let me use the credit card on internet things until I was a teenager

I was old enough, but for some reason spending money on an internet forum wasn't something my teenage brain would accept. So I just lurked, which might be even more pathetic, idk. I stopped doing that long before lf got banned though, so I missed a lot of drama.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

tokin opposition posted:

I was too young for lf, my mom (kinda rip) wouldn't let me use the credit card on internet things until I was a teenager

It was really good and sucked in equal measure

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was horrifically bad before it was closed in ~2012, like if crazy knuckles fan made fifty threads a day every day

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

zetamind2000 posted:

It was really good and sucked in equal measure

its basically cspam if cspam was edgier and everything wasnt in megathreads

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

With meta and parody threads

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sometimes you get the tim russert is the handsomest man on television thread and sometimes you get a wesley button thread

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Freep was a "special" place. Its weird to think how it was genuinely influential once upon a time.

The wife of the US Soliciter General who was killed on 9/11 was a FReeper. Barb Olsen.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Also if CSPAM had, I dunno, 5x the population?

I swear a big part of the megathread problem is that you literally can't make new threads in the Android Awful App.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Nah, everyone on lf was 15 years younger and had more time to devote to making other weird nerds chortle. And edgier is basically just people being jerks to make themselves feel better which is pretty pathetic. I'm fine with seeing the n word less frequently, myself.
I don't think the megathreads are the root problem with cspam. The megathreads exist because that's how the internet disseminates information now. The megathreads are just curated twitter streams combined with something awful injokes and thread specific injokes. It would be better if everyone could just make their posts actually funny but some people don't have that in themselves

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

tokin opposition posted:

there you have it, lf was better

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I swear a big part of the megathread problem is that you literally can't make new threads in the Android Awful App.

It was like 10k people logged in all the time. A big bag of keys was our king

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LF had more memorable thread main characters, c-spam probably won't have someone on paradol ex's level

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

zetamind2000 posted:

LF had more memorable thread main characters, c-spam probably won't have someone on paradol ex's level

not in this era at but it had some whoppers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

zetamind2000 posted:

Cspam had a guy posting police videos of himself shooting someone and being like whoa check out this badass

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Paradol ex had all the personality of a farted up pair of sweatpants compared to the toeminator

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Paradol Ex sucked rear end and posted like a MFA dropout that blamed the teachers & school instead of confronting the idea that he peaked intellectually in high school. Chip on his shoulder was so big you could land a plane on it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the thing about paradol ex was that he would post and then someone would post this picture and say it was him (it wasnt)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Cspam had a guy posting police videos of himself shooting someone and being like whoa check out this badass

Thats a flash in the pan. Pex had staying power, a man just breezing along through life, completely wrong about everything but still utterly confident.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

nah LF had a solid 20x+ population. cspam is around ~500 ppl at max these days unless there's a particularly lol widespread news event in which it can hit closer to 800. LF had closer to an easy seven figures browsing at any given time

that's really one of the main things is the forums are a tiny shadow of the former userbase. you could say that's a good thing because all the maggotmasters and ozmas and stuff are gone, but also it just means there really isn't a lot of activity

there were also megathreads but it's a 99999% easier for micro-threads to take off with 7 figures pop allowing each to balloon and bust via several dozens pages of riffs within a single night. most micro/joke threads cspam make maybe 1 page.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LF had enough people to win a best subforum poll during the time that something awful probably had its biggest active userbase

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

nah LF had a solid 20x+ population. cspam is around ~500 ppl at max these days unless there's a particularly lol widespread news event in which it can hit closer to 800. LF had closer to an easy seven figures browsing at any given time

i don't remember that at all. i think the most i ever saw was like a thousand?

edit oh seven figures lol, u got me

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I bet I already said this itt but HidingFromGoro's prison thread was good cool and important.

edit: yes but it bears repeating

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

If everyone just posts 5 or perhaps 50 times as much, we can replicate the post flow of lf

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
We were over a decade younger and in a better time even if you want to argue about it. Of course LF was better in posts, posters and content

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Looked up SA on the wayback machine at mid 2009, the forums as a whole had 5770 users online and LF had 896. I don't know that those are peak numbers, but the userbase hasn't declined as much as it feels like. I think a lot of that is due to megathreads which soak up all the posting. It's actually incredible to me that SA still has the userbase that it does given the decline of internet forums in general, the Lowtax era mismanagement of his personal golden goose, and the difficulty with getting younger people to pay :10bux: to post. I definitely remember there being more teenage posters in the late 2000s that the older posters would get super frustrated with.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
LF was way more moderate from what i remember way back in 2009 i think.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Radirot posted:

Most posters were still high on obama in 2009

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
LF turned libs into lefties, C-spam crack pings you. Land of contrasts etc etc

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Clowner posted:

LF turned libs into lefties, C-spam crack pings you. Land of contrasts etc etc

The world has gotten a lot worse since 2008.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zetamind2000 posted:

Most posters were still high on obama in 2009

pillowpants, update the spreadsheet, we just got another $200!

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Radirot posted:

the way I remember it there were more mainstream libs but also a cadre of hardcore Maoists who were more radical than CSPAM, although I was more moderate when I lurked there so what I considered "hardcore" was probably different

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Zeroisanumber posted:

2008 was still a time when we believed you could achieve left politics by working within the system, the two failed Bernie campaigns taught me that liberals will do everything in their power to sabotage even the most moderate left political movements. I used to think of liberals as allies of convenience who might have different beliefs to me, but at least agreed on a sort of broad ideological goal of making the world a better place. And I really don't think that's true anymore.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Rhizzone_Txt/status/633401353327542272

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they're both pieces of poo poo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1607960891961782272

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

whatever happened to hardcore sax

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

Antonymous posted:

LF was better and I was worse

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

2008 was still a time when we believed you could achieve left politics by working within the system, the two failed Bernie campaigns taught me that liberals will do everything in their power to sabotage even the most moderate left political movements. I used to think of liberals as allies of convenience who might have different beliefs to me, but at least agreed on a sort of broad ideological goal of making the world a better place. And I really don't think that's true anymore.

the most interesting thing to come out of the two failed bernie campaigns was climate change suddenly becoming real

the failure of the left not only led to collapse of left politics but the embracing of the end of all life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

the most interesting thing to come out of the two failed bernie campaigns was climate change suddenly becoming real

the failure of the left not only led to collapse of left politics but the embracing of the end of all life

What was wild was the democratic party rejecting the healthcare guy right when a pandemic hit, I remember arguing with some lib on twitter and eventually I got him down to "okay, universal healthcare would be a good thing, but a global pandemic isn't the time for it." Which is a fascinating way of thinking. When there are no humans left to get sick, then we can have universal healthcare.