Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

LF had the classic theme of people becoming MTWs and planning how to become a colonel in JDPON as a joke then not as a joke

To my knowledge cspam has not replicated this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I remember Abe promised me I'd get banned if I even mentioned LF in GBS anymore. :smug:

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 391 days!
There was more idealism and purity tests in LF

cspam seems more defeatist but less obnoxious with their politics

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LF seemed like it happened at a much larger scale, my memory from the period is totally hosed from pharma side effects but as I recall LF seemed to go to war with the rest of the forums on a daily basis

there was also a cameraderie, albeit a spiteful one, that's lacking in modern-day c-spam

the other thing I'll say in favor of LF is that Alec Eiffel wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in that environment and we need to take that to heart every time someone decides they're the main character of c-spam

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
I seem to recall when Jeffery took over there was talk of a concerted effort to recruit more people to SA. I guess that never really happened?

Things do seem a lot quieter around CSpam and the forums than they did during the height of the pandemic and lockdowns, but this place is still 1000% more interesting than most of the rest of the internet.

I’ve tried to push the occasional person to lurk here, and bought a few memberships. But the general consensus seems to be, “too much reading, lol”.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

LF bought their hero Diamond Joe Biden 20 prepaid pizzas to celebrate being named VP candidate, and had a TVIV thread celebrating watching the dominos pizza tracker and seeing the delivery driver on C-Span.

To my knowledge this was not done by CSpam for Kamala Harris or Mike Pence

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

tenderjerk posted:

There was more idealism and purity tests in LF

cspam seems more defeatist but less obnoxious with their politics

Cspam is full of scolds and interforum drama mang. There ain't nothin more obnoxious than helldumpers, but then again LF had a bunch of that too

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Col.Schultz posted:

I seem to recall when Jeffery took over there was talk of a concerted effort to recruit more people to SA. I guess that never really happened?

Things do seem a lot quieter around CSpam and the forums than they did during the height of the pandemic and lockdowns, but this place is still 1000% more interesting than most of the rest of the internet.

I’ve tried to push the occasional person to lurk here, and bought a few memberships. But the general consensus seems to be, “too much reading, lol”.

It's the megathreads

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
How many pairs of designer jeans did brother aziz buy and how much did they cost

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Col.Schultz posted:

I gauge the strength of c-spam by the state of the Trump thread, and by that rationale there's been increased posting lately (due no doubt to the incredible amount of content in Meltdown May and Jurisprudence June) and we've almost been back to Trump Presidency Era engagement but otoh a lot of venerable posters have left and/or died in 2022 and we're not pulling in new posters from other threads/forums/the rest of the world to make up the deficit

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Col.Schultz posted:

the solitary thing I've noticed Jeffrey do in his tenure is personally persecute catpetter1981 on behalf of some thin-skinned d&d posters

I literally haven't noticed him doing anything else

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
One thing that might also contribute to the "more megathreads" issue is that afaik you literally can't make new threads from the android version of the Awful app, and I figure a bunch of goons are browsing that way.

One other thing that feels true but I have no idea if it is actually true, is that cspam feels much more dude heavy than LF. If I had to guess, given the trajectory of later LF, alot of the ladies probably moved to tumblr, then twitter.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

a couple people have said LF was larger than Cspam, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. Cspam has significantly more posters, but less threads. Also that reeducation thread you could be banished to was really funny

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The president's son is a crack smoking fiend who regularly fucks hookers and records everything, and has this weird incestuous relationship with his niece, not to mention his ties to foreign companies who just happen to get government contracts.

There isn't a single thread about this hilarious poo poo on the first page, LF would have had 20 different threads in the goldmine by now

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Terror Sweat posted:

The president's son is a crack smoking fiend who regularly fucks hookers and records everything, and has this weird incestuous relationship with his niece, not to mention his ties to foreign companies who just happen to get government contracts.

There isn't a single thread about this hilarious poo poo on the first page, LF would have had 20 different threads in the goldmine by now

make the Hunter thread and I’ll post in it with you, he’s a goldmine of endless content

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

LF was funnier but it was from a bygone era before saying someone was a hot debate chick wasn't "woke" enough

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

a couple people have said LF was larger than Cspam, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. Cspam has significantly more posters, but less threads. Also that reeducation thread you could be banished to was really funny

Baw had his Snezhnevsky Institute title for like a decade. Poor guy never escaped.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Red Baron posted:

make the Hunter thread and I’ll post in it with you, he’s a goldmine of endless content

Maybe if the drat app had that function. You make the thread, I can only browse on my phone right now

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

It’s because he’s a democrat so we have to support him

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zerg Mans posted:

Baw had his Snezhnevsky Institute title for like a decade. Poor guy never escaped.

is Baw the poster who had a Chernobyl-scale meltdown when someone gave him a Brett Kavanaugh av

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Zerg Mans posted:

LF was funnier but it was from a bygone era before saying someone was a hot debate chick wasn't "woke" enough

I thought that recurring thread got changed to just "The LFfest pics you got" for exactly that reason!

Though they wouldn't have used "woke", as that term was still only in use by Hoteps at that time, and probably would have said some stuff about "male gaze" and "objectification"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

~kate-chan...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was never in LF, but I met LF posters from the goo meets and they were fine. I will always remember being in South Korea talking to a Canadian man tell me the message of Ralph Nader and that I too could join the Nader Nation.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Farm Frenzy posted:

reading back a lot of people are bizzarely reluctant to even make fun of him. the vibe here is really hosed.

It really sucks rear end man. The iks and mods all get picked from the same crop and they never see any problems.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

these are vtubers

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

gotta have my tweets

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

LF bought their hero Diamond Joe Biden 20 prepaid pizzas to celebrate being named VP candidate, and had a TVIV thread celebrating watching the dominos pizza tracker and seeing the delivery driver on C-Span.

To my knowledge this was not done by CSpam for Kamala Harris or Mike Pence

We also got an internet-sourced question asked during a GOP primary debate that was essentially "ask Mike Huckabee who Jesus would have executed"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if copmala had a random pizza delivered to her jeffery would be in a california slave firebrigade so fast

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Zerg Mans posted:

We also got an internet-sourced question asked during a GOP primary debate that was essentially "ask Mike Huckabee who Jesus would have executed"

Was it LF or lefty twitter (obviously some overlap) that got "where are the jobs. where are they. also what is your favorite color" into that obama internet town hall

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

weedlord bonerhitler

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 391 days!
lf had paradol ex and cspam does not

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

tenderjerk posted:

Is this a pro lf or anti lf point?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

tenderjerk posted:

I hated his nasty avatar

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i don't know, op

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

tenderjerk posted:

lf also had kyoon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Filthy Hans posted:

lf also had kyoon

kyoon was unfairly persecuted for spreading the truth

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Terror Sweat posted:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Something Awful posters are now 10 years older and now few in CSPAM have the passion and energy for the effort threads/posts like in LF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Terror Sweat posted:

you see there was a time when I would have thought that was really really funny, but like the things that have happened since LF was put to sleep have been escalations of the contradictions that made LF funny in the first place. CSPAM is basically a postmodern version of LF. Hence the misery and decrepitude.