Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

guidoanselmi posted:

Something Awful posters are now 10 years older and now few in CSPAM have the passion and energy for the effort threads/posts like in LF.
this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Karl Barks posted:

a couple people have said LF was larger than Cspam, but I'm pretty sure that's not true. Cspam has significantly more posters, but less threads. Also that reeducation thread you could be banished to was really funny

someone with archives and scripting skills, please check but these days cspam basically gets like <50 posts per hour across all threads in late hours these days (down to about 180 users viewing at lows and around 600-700 at peak), whereas LF was still getting like 500 posts per hour at even it's slowest and was easily four digits viewing at almost any hour of the day. LF was insanely popular and reached far and wide across the internet in it's influence.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

someone with archives and scripting skills, please check but these days cspam basically gets like <50 posts per hour across all threads in late hours these days (down to about 180 users viewing at lows and around 600-700 at peak), whereas LF was still getting like 500 posts per hour at even it's slowest and was easily four digits viewing at almost any hour of the day. LF was insanely popular and reached far and wide across the internet in it's influence.

I think Karl Barks is pretty much just wrong about this. LF was much more highly populated and faster moving. The forums generally had way more traffic back then, and LF was often the top subforum, and almost always top three (GBS, Games, LF).

I'd argue CSPAM has a higher actual poster:lurker ratio than LF did, though.

Be interesting to see actual numbers on this.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
"XYZ would have had a billion threads and goldmines and jokes about it by now."

nothing matters

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I don't know why we're debating this when qcs blows them both out of the water

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

"XYZ would have had a billion threads and goldmines and jokes about it by now."

nothing matters

I mean you've pretty much hit on the key difference. In 2008 it was easy to be a hopeful leftist (of some degree/variety), and in 2022 its basically impossible.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Buck Wildman posted:

I don't know why we're debating this when qcs blows them both out of the water

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

How many pairs of designer jeans did brother aziz buy and how much did they cost

To my memory, one pair of $400 jeans. That's $543 with inflation!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wouldn't even know where to find $543 jeans lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

projecthalaxy posted:

I wouldn't even know where to find $543 jeans lol

Googling it gets several results in the general ballpark

They look like crap

Also wasn't brother aziz morbidly obese or something

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
He posted in lf, yes

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

This tracks

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I also remember something about aziz being fat. And i think he was in some kinda weird relationship where he was mistreating his partner somehow

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hatebag posted:

I also remember something about aziz being fat. And i think he was in some kinda weird relationship where he was mistreating his partner somehow

Sure am glad some suckers bought that lardass some pants then

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Sure am glad some suckers bought that lardass some pants then

The lesson: charity is evil. Everyone must fend for their own pants

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
"is the world in 2022 better or worse than the ~2015 world where LF existed"

all truth emerges from the biosphere and dday econ threads

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm pretty sure lf was well gone by 2015

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Hatebag posted:

bro aziz was fat, gay and Muslim and his partner was gay and trans but i don’t recall anything about them being mistreated. I do remember someone (Muslim Tom?) commenting he basically couldn’t have a more haram living situation if he tried lol

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

"is the world in 2022 better or worse than the ~2015 world where LF existed"

all truth emerges from the biosphere and dday econ threads

It's about the same imo, but all the accelerationists in LF used to think the collapse of capital would bring about the reign of glorious JDPON whereas most cspam posters justget into weird nihilistic poo poo like antinatalism

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I mean you've pretty much hit on the key difference. In 2008 it was easy to be a hopeful leftist (of some degree/variety), and in 2022 its basically impossible.

This mindset just comes from old boring nihilists who fill the pages of a wide variety of apocalyptic megathreads or w/e

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never posted or read LF so I don't know OP. i have this forums account bc a guy in high school band who wore a bowtie to school every day posted in LF and showed me some loving funny rear end GBS photoshops during computer class. So maybe it was good.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm pretty sure lf was well gone by 2015

Yeah I think it was gone by like, 2013? And it was poo poo by like 2011 or so.

In Training posted:

This mindset just comes from old boring nihilists who fill the pages of a wide variety of apocalyptic megathreads or w/e

The nihilists don't help, but the era of "young upstart pol thumbs nose at establishment, becomes first black president, elected in landslide, 70% approval" was a more hopeful environment than the current one, where we were quite explicitly not allowed an option that isnt a senile rapist by the powers that be.

The hope was misplaced, but it was real. If you really disagree, you either weren't paying attention then, or you aren't paying attention now.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cspam is like a sidegrade to LF. Lower highs and higher lows

In Training posted:

I never posted or read LF so I don't know OP. i have this forums account bc a guy in high school band who wore a bowtie to school every day posted in LF and showed me some loving funny rear end GBS photoshops during computer class. So maybe it was good.

drat, Nathan Robinson is a goon?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Xaris posted:

to be fair a lot of LF posts were just white noise "cum" "stalin" but certainly the forums were more active than they are now.

CSPAM is a bit more current events driven though. the ukraine/russia thread was wild to try to mod solo for the first few months because it was nonstop posting. LF was too but I don't feel like the same extent. Might be remembering that wrong.

certainly the "bush's brain!!" guy has to be putting the thumb on the scales a little bit.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Dreylad posted:

to be fair a lot of LF posts were just white noise "cum" "stalin" but certainly the forums were more active than they are now.

CSPAM is a bit more current events driven though. the ukraine/russia thread was wild to try to mod solo for the first few months because it was nonstop posting. LF was too but I don't feel like the same extent. Might be remembering that wrong.

certainly the "bush's brain!!" guy has to be putting the thumb on the scales a little bit.

iirc the shitposting in lf got so bad that there was at one point a rule against it on the first 2(?) pages of a thread, because every new thread just got 100 new “gas, ban” “stfu” “I’m gay” type posts instantly and ppl got mad about it. Lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The nihilists don't help, but the era of "young upstart pol thumbs nose at establishment, becomes first black president, elected in landslide, 70% approval" was a more hopeful environment than the current one, where we were quite explicitly not allowed an option that isnt a senile rapist by the powers that be.

I wasn't here for 2016 but it seems like a lot of people were extremely excited for Bernie's 2020 run. I think there are a lot of people who have gone through that cycle and are burned out. Definitely do think there are a lot of blackpilled morons who hide or mask their blackpilled beliefs through the veneer of a leftist critique of a world.

The other big issue is megathreads like In Training said. There is no point in effort posting because you were rarely be met with effort back when there is so much white noise posting and also they just move so fast. The musk and succ threads both get like 500+ posts if I don't check them for a day. The reason we have the regional megathreads is because people would open smaller ones, and then they would die from no one posting them. I'm sure there is a good balance for a megathread, not really sure how you find it though.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Jul 13, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TheSlutPit posted:

100 new “gas, ban” “stfu” “I’m gay” type posts instantly and ppl got mad about it. Lol

bring it back

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I think it was gone by like, 2013? And it was poo poo by like 2011 or so.

The hope was misplaced, but it was real. If you really disagree, you either weren't paying attention then, or you aren't paying attention now.

Hopeful in what sense though? I was also let down by Obama theoretically since I was too young to be a voter at the time, but isn't it better if more people don't even view federal electoralism as even remotely legitimate. I'm way more hopeful in the variety of budding, young labor agitation that seems to be adopting a more radical approach than the decrepit us business unionism of the last 60 years.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
HidingFromGoro's incarceration thread was one of the best things I've ever read on the internet.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The other big issue is megathreads like In Training said. There is no point in effort posting because you were rarely be met with effort back when there is so much white noise posting and also they just move so fast. The musk and succ threads both get like 500+ posts if I don't check them for a day. The reason we have the regional megathreads is because people would open smaller ones, and then they would die from no one posting them. I'm sure there is a good balance for a megathread, not really sure how you find it though.

I've always disliked large megathreads but every attempt to tackle them ends up being heavy-handed moderation that no one cares really wants.

I appreciate you firing off new threads fwiw, some take off, some don't but it's nice to have new topics for people to post about.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I wasn't here for 2016 but it seems like a lot of people were extremely excited for Bernie's 2020 run. I think there are a lot of people who have gone through that cycle and are burned out. Definitely do think there are a lot of blackpilled morons who hide or mask their blackpilled beliefs through the veneer of a leftist critique of a world.

just absolutely seething that the brozone doesn't have 200 pages... chill

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I thought this thread was pretty funny, obviously it’s not going to be a 100 page megathread but the posts were pretty good and I lolled. 82 views though smdh…

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

HidingFromGoro's incarceration thread was one of the best things I've ever read on the internet.

it had a profound effect on me!

also im gay

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also i have a goldmined thread that i totally earned, where i went to the teamsarah.org forums and stole their home-grown limericks, shitposting them, then people started making good ones

quote:

We elected Barack H. Obama
to expunge eight years' national trauma.
When he moved to the right,
LF cried out in fright;
wanted Chomsky but got Fukuyama.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

guidoanselmi posted:

Something Awful posters are now 10 years older and now few in CSPAM have the passion and energy for the effort threads/posts like in LF.
also obama being a bust and trump winning blackpilled basically everybody who might have had passion or energy.

what the gently caress is the point anymore? Clarence Thomas is gonna be Acting Chief Justice of the Supreme Court for a decade, and the GOP is gonna have a majority in the House and Senate for ever after Biden, then gonna be four more years of Trump, then DeSantis/Cotton/Some Other Nazi in 2024.

hosed country.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

In Training posted:

Hopeful in what sense though? I was also let down by Obama theoretically since I was too young to be a voter at the time, but isn't it better if more people don't even view federal electoralism as even remotely legitimate. I'm way more hopeful in the variety of budding, young labor agitation that seems to be adopting a more radical approach than the decrepit us business unionism of the last 60 years.

We were talking about a general feeling of hopefulness for the future.

"The existing system can work and improve, as we have been taught our entire lives!"

Is a wildly different level of hope than

"There are signs that by the time of the clearly inevitable, and historically likely to be devastating, collapse of the existing system we might have alternate power structures in place so we don't fall into fascism."

The current situation isnt hopeless, but its wildly different. At the very least, we're 14 years further into climate change with very limited positive movement.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

TheSlutPit posted:

iirc the shitposting in lf got so bad that there was at one point a rule against it on the first 2(?) pages of a thread, because every new thread just got 100 new “gas, ban” “stfu” “I’m gay” type posts instantly and ppl got mad about it. Lol

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
KILL YOU ARE PARENTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

baquack obamailure