Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello Goons with Spoons. Chairman Liquid Communism here with another Iron Chef Something Awful.

"Anyone who's a chef, who loves food, ultimately knows that all that matters is:'Is it good? Does it give pleasure?''' - Anthony Bourdain

The last two years have been a time of struggle for many of us. The pandemic has shrunk our social circles, production problems have interfered with access to goods, and the political situation in many parts of the world is distressing at best. But summer is here, and in the spirit of good times, I come to you with this humble challenge: show us your favorite summer meal. Any style of cuisine, from any culture, is within your scope, so long as you can relate to us why you feel it is a summer meal for you.

Get out there and make something you love, and share it with us.

Prizes:
First place, as voted by the goons, will receive a $50 gift card, and a token of my esteem (assuming the winner is comfortable having one shipped to them.)

Second place, as voted by the goons, will receive a $25 gift card and a token of my esteem (assuming the winner is comfortable having one shipped to them.)

Third place, as voted by the goons, will receive a token of my esteem (assuming the winner is comfortable having one shipped to them.)

As always, the submission rules:

Submission Rules :
1. Post a separate thread for your entry, then post in this thread with a link.
2. Take pictures! We love to see your steps as well as your final product.
3. If possible, please include your recipe so that other Goons can try and recreate your dishes for their own consumption.
4. Does your recipe have a backstory? Tell us about it!
5. Questions? Ask in the thread or PM your Chairman.
6. The deadline for entries is Midnight Central time, 15 August 2022 (that's the end of the 14th, folks), with judging to follow.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yay! In!

I'm in Australia, in a part that actually gets cold (and indoor temperatures track outdoor temperatures because wazz insulation then, mate?) but this will be great for helping me escape my chilly existence and imagine the summertime.

You should expect Christmas classics from the other antipodean posters here.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Heatwave about to hit the UK, it’s time to crack out the barbecue and elevate

Edit: I am going to do my usual thing and ask for a week's extension early doors: literally the only day I can do between now and the deadline is the 7th, and I won't be able to write up any of it on the day. Can we move the deadline to the end of the 14th?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 12, 2022

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hmm, I should definitely have some ripe tomatoes by them. My recipe is nothing special and won't win but is something I learned to love after growing tomatoes in the garden instead of buying crappy supermarket ones. :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm definitely in, I have my first party in 3 years planned so let's goooooo

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I am in as well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh hey this is a pretty cool theme. I'm down if I can find the ingredients

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

drat, I'm gonna have to sit this one out. I've got a good idea, but no time/resources to execute it. Good backstory for it as well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Meaty Ore posted:

drat, I'm gonna have to sit this one out. I've got a good idea, but no time/resources to execute it. Good backstory for it as well.

Half arse it, ask for an extension, do it anyway and post: I’ve learned more about cooking from competing in ICSA and challenging myself to do weird stuff than I ever did from reading cookbooks

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Scientastic posted:

Half arse it, ask for an extension, do it anyway and post: I’ve learned more about cooking from competing in ICSA and challenging myself to do weird stuff than I ever did from reading cookbooks

Seconding the extension request. I will probably be able to do the cooking and stuff in the timeframe if I needed to, but I can't arrange the dinner party that quickly, too many schedules to massage.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Not an entry, but here's my absolute favorite summer meal. Lobstah in Maine out to camp!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Grandicap posted:

Seconding the extension request. I will probably be able to do the cooking and stuff in the timeframe if I needed to, but I can't arrange the dinner party that quickly, too many schedules to massage.

I'll definitely need this. I've got field school through August 3, a couple of items that will take several weeks to prepare, and my 20+ year-old dishwasher just broke and needs to be replaced. Also one key thing I need I can't replicate at home, can't get locally, probably can't get shipped and will require a 12-hour round trip drive to pick up.

edit: Christ that old piece of poo poo was a pain in the rear end to remove.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 18, 2022

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug
Okay, my rather modest entry is up!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008394#post525127445

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

As folks have reached out to request it, there has been a slight change.

The deadline for this ICSA is now 12AM on the 15th of August (ie the end of the 14th).

Cook on.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah! I was going to submit my son's birthday party, but in the crazy last minute prep I completely failed to document most of the food. I'm out of town next week but this extension lets me squeak one in after that!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thank you! I have some very excitable friends booked to come round, now I need to actually put together a menu…

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I did mine a week ago and just haven't bothered to post the pics. One of these days for sure!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Aaaaand it's up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008573

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Here is my entry.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Put the lime in the coconut (dressing)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I was not hugely productive at work today, as I had a stinking hangover, but it was worth it

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My post is up!

ICSA 72: Sheboygan Sausage party

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 14, 2022

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Mine is up: ICSA 72: Summertime but it's not cause Australia

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Good morning all! Last day's here, post up!

I'll put the voting thread up sometime tomorrow, thanks for all the excellent entries so far!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
God dammit. I need to make sure I check the sub forum instead of just my bookmarks. Totally missed this one :mad:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

My post is up!

ICSA 72: Knee high by the 4th of July

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Good timing beating the line! I'll have the voting post up shortly, thanks to all of you for the effort!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ICSA 72 Voting Thread is up! Go feast your eyes here!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Liquid Communism posted:

6. The deadline for entries is Midnight Central time, 15 August 2022 (that's the end of the 14th, folks), with judging to follow.

Oops

Will still post mine later today for fun.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My not-actually-an-entry-but-please-enjoy post is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010055

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

This was a tough decision to make. I don't know how some of you don't drop from exhaustion. Summer cooking to me usually means I'm making easy stuff and trying to leave the stove off, so salads and sandwiches get a lot more frequent :shobon:

I cannot stop thinking of the phrase "roasted vegetable titan" because I know it's wrong but it's funny.

Te-reading these reminded me to make crispy tofu tonight because tofu is nice and because we're gonna be doing Facetime with my vegetarian mom. I've been making it a point to go meatless on Tuesdays.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That'll do it! Thank you all for your effort and voting!

Coming in at 3rd, the veteran Scientastic!

Second, with some serious Sausage Effort, Meaty Ore!

And finally, our Champion, Grandicap!

Champions, please reach out via PM to receive your prizes! If for some reason you don't have PMs, just reply here and I'll fix that. :v:

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

That'll do it! Thank you all for your effort and voting!

Coming in at 3rd, the veteran Scientastic!

Second, with some serious Sausage Effort, Meaty Ore!

And finally, our Champion, Grandicap!

Champions, please reach out via PM to receive your prizes! If for some reason you don't have PMs, just reply here and I'll fix that. :v:

I said it in my submission, but this was super fun, thanks for running!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I'm pleased I got any votes at all. I was just happy to have an excuse to make my favorite sandwich. :gerty:

Congrats to the winners!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Congrats to the winners, and to everone who participated. Thank you to whoever gave me that one vote - I had a great time.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Had a blast, learned a ton. Looking forward the the next competition! I think I'll pare down the menu to focus on a few cool things. Definitely bit off more than I enjoyed to chew.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Man, everyone's entries were great and I saw a lot of stuff I'd like to try my hand at in the future. I was surprised I managed to pull everything together the way I did; I was feeling quite swamped right up until the first weekend of August and was grateful for the extension. Also, the prodding.

I said I'd do a follow-up post after the beer is ready, which it is, so I'll probably do a Labor Day thing with the rest of the brats, the beer, and the homemade kraut. Maybe there'll be some other, different things served as well! Who knows? :iiam:

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't have PMs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

Man, everyone's entries were great and I saw a lot of stuff I'd like to try my hand at in the future. I was surprised I managed to pull everything together the way I did; I was feeling quite swamped right up until the first weekend of August and was grateful for the extension. Also, the prodding.

I said I'd do a follow-up post after the beer is ready, which it is, so I'll probably do a Labor Day thing with the rest of the brats, the beer, and the homemade kraut. Maybe there'll be some other, different things served as well! Who knows? :iiam:

I don't have PMs.

Should be fixed shortly!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Should be fixed shortly!

Thanks! Sent you a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug
congratulations to the winners and participants! some delicious-looking food was made.