Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my dentist told me that i should only floss once per day, and twice was unnecessary and too much

no idea why, but i figure there's not much point in the mornings anyway since i haven't eaten anything since flossing before bed

e: actually, it was the hygienist who said that now that i think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oh i usually floss and brush after breakfast, it would defeat the purpose to clean your teeth first thing in the morning and then screw it up by chasing that with a fresh coat of food you know?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't eat breakfast, but i do drink coffee. i was told as a kid not to brush immediately after drinking coffee or anything acidic enough weaken enamel, because the brushing can (over time) cause harm that way. they said to wait an hour. no fuckin clue if that's just dental bro science or legit :shrug:

but i always brush first thing after getting up because i want that morning taste outta my mouth asap

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

It's been years but IIRC some of the many studies found it had no statistically significant effect on tooth health. You can probably google it very easily. They are likely of equally bad quality, but the point is that there are conflicting studies

You don't actually have to use floss to clean your teeth. Interdental brushes are faster, safer, easier to use and probably even more effective. Floss is snake oil.

A number of my teeth have insufficient spaces between them for toothbrush brustles to get in. So if they're not flossed, they're not cleaned. Flossing properly cleans by abrasion. It's that simple. Also mentioned in the article above.

No one likes to change their habits, so it's unsurprising some people who've never flossed rationalise the need away. Enjoy your eventual extractions / expensive root canal work. Your choice. Suffer.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I use those picks with the little bit of floss. Nothing like having one wisdom tooth coming in at this point in my life.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bravely standing up to the complete and utter sham that is flossing, thank you

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Uh I floss after brushing because no way am I going to slide around with force under my gums with more gunk on the string than I have to

Wtf

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Yeah, flossing before brushing seems like the wrong thing to do. Wouldn't you just be pushing food particles and bacteria back into your freshly flossed teeth while brushing?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It's like wiping your rear end and then taking a huge dump.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

all these post-flossers telling on themselves, i love it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I flosse my urethra

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

who let the floss out? woof woof woof

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Bad Purchase posted:

all these post-flossers telling on themselves, i love it

I'm googling and mind is BLOWN

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i floss while i brush. it is a very complicated and time intensive process that takes nearly two hours.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
idk I floss like 3-4 times a week is that enough

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Stop brushing halfway through, floss, rinse, finish brushing.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Revins posted:

idk I floss like 3-4 times a week is that enough

I think you’ll land on the right side of history :thumbsup:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*infinite toilet paper poo poo wipe gif*

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BigBadSteve posted:

A number of my teeth have insufficient spaces between them for toothbrush brustles to get in. So if they're not flossed, they're not cleaned. Flossing properly cleans by abrasion. It's that simple. Also mentioned in the article above.

No one likes to change their habits, so it's unsurprising some people who've never flossed rationalise the need away. Enjoy your eventual extractions / expensive root canal work. Your choice. Suffer.

It's all good, friend. I think I know how you feel. I have a relative who got hooked on the Soviet version of chiropractics when he was young. He swears by it and says that it keeps him healthy and prevents him from getting this or that disease. He also gets really defensive if someone starts questioning it and just aggressive when people joke that he pays a fortune for a really lovely massage and flirting with spinal damage.

I don't think we can really solve these types of problems through education alone. It's gonna take a generational change. I'm sure floss will be completely replaced with interdental brushes by 2050 and it's just going to be some weird obscurity you find in strange boomer shops that also sell powder tiger penises and colloidal silver, but until then there isn't much we can do but wait. Cemeteries are the locomotives of progress.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
How much dental work have you had OP? Just curious.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I got one of those waterpicks and I wish I had gotten one years ago. That thing really jackhammers out anything stuck between my teeth.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
imagine intentionally removing the protective layer of plaque that naturally surrounds your teeth lmao. some people just can't be helped

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

flossin with yo mommas bush

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

vudan posted:

How much dental work have you had OP? Just curious.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Teeth are overrated. Trust me.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I started brushing way less during the pandemic (because I was a gross piece of poo poo) but every time I brushed I would floss too, so I was flossing probably more than normal.

I went to the dentist twice during that time period and they were like "You're doing great, just keep doing what you're doing." Like I think more favorable reviews than normal.

So either flossing is like everything, or general routine care is useless overall.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

did you eat less sugar? (this can be hard to tell, because so much food has added sugar in it that you wouldn't expect)

that's pretty much the main thing you can do to improve your dental health, and the reason that ancient people could go their whole lives without fluoride and still have a skull full of mostly good teeth when they died.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Yeah, I don't eat much sugar and I don't drink sugary drinks at all except for IPA's.

e: I was confused, as beer is not keto-friendly, but that's because of carbs, not sugar.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 13, 2022

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

That looks impossible to floss. I have a feeling you are not 100% genuine here

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021

Bad Purchase posted:

did you eat less sugar? (this can be hard to tell, because so much food has added sugar in it that you wouldn't expect)

that's pretty much the main thing you can do to improve your dental health, and the reason that ancient people could go their whole lives without fluoride and still have a skull full of mostly good teeth when they died.
Another big thing was the complete lack of utensils. Eating unprocessed and extremely tough sections of meat directly off of the bone had nearly the same effect as flossing as all the sinews and cartilage and whatnot would get in between teeth over the long minutes it took to chew and swallow it all down.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i've been very lax in my flossing lately, thanks for the reminder OP. im shaking thinking about the extra food i missed out on eating from not flossing it out of my teeth :(

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mysterious Jim posted:

Another big thing was the complete lack of utensils. Eating unprocessed and extremely tough sections of meat directly off of the bone had nearly the same effect as flossing as all the sinews and cartilage and whatnot would get in between teeth over the long minutes it took to chew and swallow it all down.

probably had more to do with fibrous plants than meat off the bone, which was a much larger component (in calorie and especially in volume) in human / human ancestor diets than meat

but, sugar is almost solely responsible for destroying your teeth and gums

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i floss my food before i eat it so i dont have to floss my teeth

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i brush my food before it eat it so i dont have to brush my teeth

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

i wipe my food before i eat it so i dont have to wipe my rear end

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i use a waterpik and it loving rules

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Strange Poon posted:

i use a waterpik and it loving rules

Yeah, liberate your mind from the chains of the floss industry

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

For everyone making jokes about flossing with my mother’s pubes, I’ll have you know this is impossible as she waxes her genitals religiously.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What religion is that, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

For everyone making jokes about flossing with my mother’s pubes, I’ll have you know this is impossible as she waxes her genitals religiously.

Flossing with your tiny dick instead