Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

I never thought of myself as an art collector or anything, but a recent discussion in the Hello Welcome & Chat thread made me realize that I actually have a whole lot of art in the house, and I'm not even really sure why. I guess I actually like art.

So I'm going to share it with you. And I would love to see what's in your house. Like, I know at least one orb has a censored he-man lookin' mural they uncovered on one of the bedroom walls, and I bet y'all have other awesome stuff too.

I'll start with the parents' bedroom in the next post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Okay, welcome to the bedroom/office. We have a small house so we don't have enough space to only use a room for part of the day. We're starting here because it's my office.

Multnomah falls is near where Ms Cruft lived for a while. I also had a high school girlfriend who worked in the gift shop for a summer, and I think I still have some of the letter she wrote me from that summer.

The family used to be really into bicycling as a means of transportation. Now we're sort of more into walking, but we still like bicycles a whole lot. I think this might have been from a calendar.

I like this one because the artist drew the saddle backwards.

My sister-in-law gave this to us. We used to have bees in the backyard, and so we got a lot of bee stuff for a while. This is a lithograph I think? I dunno, it's cool. This type of beehive requires killing the entire colony in order to harvest the honey, so it's kind of cruel, but it's also recognizable. I think it's called a "skep".

This is a waterfall somewhere in Switzerland. My great aunt, when I was 16, sent me on a month-long trip to do rock climbing in Switzerland. On weekends she took me around to see stuff, and we probably went here at one point. I vaguely recall the spray of a waterfall on a wooden bridge, but that may have been Oregon I'm remembering. She was a badass, and I have mad respect for her taking a teenager on foreign travel at her age.

This is a postcard one of my employees sent me!

I used to hang out on a Disney-themed IRC channel. Out of the blue last year, one of the channel regulars emailed me. He'd married another channel regular and was doing great; she was doing freelance art. I bought this off her Etsy page.

I bought this from a store in town to take up space on the wall. They'd had it for months and it didn't seem like people were interested in it, which made it interesting to me. It's made out of steel, I think.

This is a photo I took of a cactus in the back yard. I wanted to test out Google's service where they make a canvas print from a photo, and this was the first non-human photo I could find in my photo history.

More pages from a bicycle art calendar. The frame shop was blown away with the concept of dry mounting calendar art (they thought it was a cool idea). I guess nobody else had asked them to do that before.

More bike calendar art.

Not shown: a poster from a local run ms cruft did, and a really pretty 1800s advertisement for a French bicycle with a nekkid lady on it (HAS ILLUSTRATED BEWBS, NSFW IN AMERICA)

I'll do another room soon.

Heather Papps

hello friend

this technically isn't art, i suppose, but i have hung this on my wall in various homes for the last decade or so:

something about the variety of fonts has always been pleasing to me.

and though this project has gone on the backburner as other things have come up i intend to figure out what is going on here someday:

i mostly just need to know who that ponytail belongs to. someone here posted that it looked like a heavy metal cover they remembered so i looked at every cover that they published to no avail. i wouldn't be surprised if it was an illustration from the inside of the magazine, tho'

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

this technically isn't art, i suppose, but i have hung this on my wall in various homes for the last decade or so:

something about the variety of fonts has always been pleasing to me.

I think that is technically art, and I also love the lettering! "STREET CLEANING" is just :discourse:. I'm pretty sure that's hand-lettered. I freakin' love stuff like this, thanks for posting it!

:sickos:

Heather Papps

hello friend

cruft posted:

I think that is technically art, and I also love the lettering! "STREET CLEANING" is just :discourse:. I'm pretty sure that's hand-lettered. I freakin' love stuff like this, thanks for posting it!

they would tie them to steetlights when they needed to clear snow build up, and it seemed like the city printed 500, 000 in the 60's or something and were still using them up. this reminds me of one very specific thing i need to photograph for this thread now.

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

they would tie them to steetlights when they needed to clear snow build up, and it seemed like the city printed 500, 000 in the 60's or something and were still using them up. this reminds me of one very specific thing i need to photograph for this thread now.

I think you should dry mount that and/or put it inside a frame. It's super cool.

Manifisto

this is very neat! when I'm back in nyc I may take photos of my wall hangings which are small and not numerous. if I had more wall space I'd hang more stuff, I have a bit of a backlog!

ty nesamdoom!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
super neat thread!!! this made me realise how much art i have in my home. here are a few curated highlights

someone from the YOSPOS catte threade made this, featuring charlie and miggins. rip in peace cattos

an internet person painted this picture of charlie and miggins

by: https://www.instagram.com/trevorcatartist/

found this hosed up specimen in an antiques shop

mutant fox found in a local art gallery

zilog z8000 promotional poster from 1979

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Heather Papps

hello friend

Dr. Honked posted:

found this hosed up specimen in an antiques shop

holy poo poo this rules so much. my brain keeps flipping between thinking which legs are front and back.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

hello i love this thread i love decorating and i love pretty things here is a complete catalog of all of the things in my house that i think are pretty.

this is a watercolor of my house. my real estate agent when i bought the house is a friend of my dad's and loves to paint and one day she left me a portrait of my house on my front door. It lives in my bedroom above my dresser:

This is my dresser. It's a late 19th c. anglo-indian campaign chest and i really love it. It's made of camphor wood and smells nice. It's a top and bottom section so i guess theoretically if i move i don't even have to unpack my dresser drawers i can just use it like a giant trunk or something

Here's a print of some fish i got in Vancouver. I like it. it's in my bedroom:

moving on to the living room. this is my fireplace mantel situation, It's a highly curated collection of stuff i like. The red and gold china thing is the top of some serving dish my granmother bought at an estate sale. it would be neat if she had the bottom too, but i really like the colors. Then there's a picture of a portrait of my great grandmother, some big glass thing from a local artist I really like, a small glass thing from somewhere i cant remember, a neat hand plane, and a cool rock i found on a beach in maine. The mirror was my toher grandmother's and i really like it. gold/brass and red is my jam.

Here's a funny wall scroll thing that was somewhere in my grandmother's house. It's a watercolor and everything about it seems like the kind of thing one might get at a nice art museum exhibition gift shop or something, but she cant remember where it came from. it was in alittle wooden box with some chinese writing on it that i guess i should get goons to translate. I just hung it up and i really like the colors:

I just got a bunch of old botanical prints to put at the other end of the room but they are getting framed rn. I'm excited about them.

here's a linen press in my dining room i got for really cheap in the early days of the pandemic. antiques are a deal rn. late 19thc english, not terribly fine or anything- it it was moderately cheap middle class furniture when it was made, but it has nice lines and some really pretty veneer and will keep me from fighting with my siblings over a linen press in my parent's dining room

I have a few little arts in my dining room. I got this one at the same consignment store as the linen press. It's date somewhere in france in the 1930s, and i really like how the sky color kind of blends into the wall color. I don't love the frame but I'm too lazy to do something different:

this is a little oil painting my grandfather had. I think it's some apple trees in normandy. I looked up the artist and he was very prolific and painted Normandy scenes for tourists in the 60's and 70s. I think the colors go well in there:

I don't even know what this really is but it's one of the first things i hung on the wall in my house. It was in my grandparents' house and it's kind of japanesey, idk. I should take it out of the frame and see if there is anything on the back. I just like the colors and the frame and think it's pretty. I just noticed it looks like peonies, and I think the wall scroll thing is a peony too

this is a watercolor of a boat my aunt got me for christmas one year from a church rummage sale. I like it alot. It's in my office/2nd bedroom

and my most treasured art, from the HCH secret santa a few years ago, done by byob's own Bingo Bango:

I still haven't found exactly where to put it so it lives propped up on a shelf in my office but it reminds me to try to stay chill.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 13, 2022

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

the whole dang post

the dresser and the cross stitch made me audibly swear

Heather Papps

hello friend

i mean everything was lovely as hell and made me think i need to get my home in order but those 2 (two) things specifically

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Heather Papps posted:

the dresser and the cross stitch made me audibly swear
Yeah they are my favs too! I made friends with a local antique dealer I bought the dresser myself for my 25th birthday. he let me pay for it like $50 or $100 a month-whatever i could afford-over a few years. I treasure it. I'm still in awe of the hammock kitty every time i look at it because it's so dang good.

Robot Made of Meat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

hello i love this thread i love decorating and i love pretty things here is a complete catalog of all of the things in my house that i think are pretty.

this is a watercolor of my house. my real estate agent when i bought the house is a friend of my dad's and loves to paint and one day she left me a portrait of my house on my front door. It lives in my bedroom above my dresser:

This is my dresser. It's a late 19th c. anglo-indian campaign chest and i really love it. It's made of camphor wood and smells nice. It's a top and bottom section so i guess theoretically if i move i don't even have to unpack my dresser drawers i can just use it like a giant trunk or something

Although neither of these items are "my sort of thing," I really like them! I have quite an attachment to my house for reasons, so having a watercolor (or any sort of unique image) of it would be special to me.

And that dresser is awesome!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Finger Prince

Hello, nice art! I have nothing on my walls and haven't for years. I don't know how much that has to do with living in rental apartments since moving back to Canada. I have a few souvenirs that get used though, like the elephant bowl I got in South Africa I use to hold keys and a little basket woven from those reeds they have down in Panama, and a tiki guy from Hawaii and my grandma's bronze elephant, etc. Nothing big.

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

Hello, nice art! I have nothing on my walls and haven't for years. I don't know how much that has to do with living in rental apartments since moving back to Canada. I have a few souvenirs that get used though, like the elephant bowl I got in South Africa I use to hold keys and a little basket woven from those reeds they have down in Panama, and a tiki guy from Hawaii and my grandma's bronze elephant, etc. Nothing big.

Yeah, wall art doesn't work so well when you're renting. Post the tiki guy.

And the other stuff too.

I've got a bunch of crap that doesn't go on the walls, I just haven't done that room yet.

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 13, 2022

Finger Prince

Tiki guy

Panamanian watch basket

Elephant bowl, with keys

Ass-penny

honestly it is weird to me when I'm at someone's house and they don't have any art. even if it was like, newspaper clippings or some photos from a vacation or concert you went to, something. I'll post some of the art and other decor we have about. the aesthetic in my house is pretty different from what is going on so far, I hope that is ok.

teen witch
ooooh yes my apartment is like a concerning TGI Fridays. I’ve got far too much to share so I’ll trickle it out

but for starters, this is my current “project”. Plants are in glass houses as the one throwing stones is my jerk baby cat Pikachu (he will obliterate drat near any plant). I have plants that are cat safe minus the aloe, but I’m still rather skittish.

future plans include

- curtains (ideally some marimekko ones I’ve been eyeing but on any sort of sale, cause holy moly. will also settle for vintage or secondhand with a lovely pattern)

- rug for under the table (that can be machine washed as rugs are puke magnets for the boys)

- more greenery for the window (that’ll likely be the ones currently enjoying summer outside)

meanwhile, outside, I’m attempting to keep more plants alive. the sunflowers needed really to be planted into the ground but I’m thrilled they’ve made it this far. next year I’m going to plant a metric fuckton of cosmos however.

(spot the hidden beast baby)

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Finger Prince posted:

Elephant bowl, with keys

elephant bowl is very cool

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I lived in dorms for way too many years of my life and I can't stand white walls now, so every wall has to be a color. no white walls allowed. If i had a giant art collection, I might consider white walls, but for now it is fun to find art that plays well with my wall colors.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
what kind of fancy dorm still has white walls?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Finger Prince

rear end-penny posted:

honestly it is weird to me when I'm at someone's house and they don't have any art. even if it was like, newspaper clippings or some photos from a vacation or concert you went to, something. I'll post some of the art and other decor we have about. the aesthetic in my house is pretty different from what is going on so far, I hope that is ok.

That's ok, I fully admit that it's weird and probably indicative of some deep underlying psychological issues or something. What I find weird is when you see someone's house and it's covered in photos of that person.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Finger Prince posted:

That's ok, I fully admit that it's weird and probably indicative of some deep underlying psychological issues or something. What I find weird is when you see someone's house and it's covered in photos of that person.

as a person who never liked themselves very much, i find that super weird too. oh look, it's me. the guy who sucks.

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
My walls are covered in print outs of my posts and threads, as well as my various posting awards and accolades.

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

What I find weird is when you see someone's house and it's covered in photos of that person.

i have never encountered this, beyond family group photos or something. it did remind me that i have one picture of myself, but i don't hang it on the wall because i am not really sure if i want to look at this all day:

my mom mounted this self portrait from when i was 6 i think? it was a nice gift but having it on the wall is weird.

Heather Papps posted:

this reminds me of one very specific thing i need to photograph for this thread now.

my great uncle and aunt ran a church in their town for like 50 odd years or something. when they got too old to run the smallest of 3 church's in a town of maybe 600 people it was sold, and i got some neat stuff out of it. a pew, which is out in my shed, a pretty neat bookcase i should also photograph but is a mess right now due to siblings children mashing things around, and this neat sign which my uncle hand painted. he was a merchant marine in ww2 and came over from england to be a mechanic, which at the time meant you had to know how to do pin-striping, i guess. anyways this is just resting in my bedroom now because having this sign up on my wall might give a false impression of religious conviction.
anyways, it's neat, i'm keeping it. i applied a fair amount of clear lacquer to it to try and preserve it and it's inside so it should be good forever.

this is one of the walls in my living room. a map of the area i found in my grandparents camp, a lovely byob secret satan gift from zurtilik (spelling?) and a mirror i found in a snowbank.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Heather Papps posted:

i have never encountered this, beyond family group photos or something. it did remind me that i have one picture of myself, but i don't hang it on the wall because i am not really sure if i want to look at this all day:

my mom mounted this self portrait from when i was 6 i think? it was a nice gift but having it on the wall is weird.

this rules tho

Finger Prince

Chewbecca posted:

My walls are covered in print outs of my posts and threads, as well as my various posting awards and accolades.

When I was a kid I went to an art gallery, and one of the exhibitions was a series of white cloth squares with a small stain in the center, and a description on a card describing the meal eaten which produced that stain. What I was looking at was individual poo tickets, that the artist had used to wipe his butt with.
What I'm saying is, it's been done.
:twisted:

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Finger Prince posted:

When I was a kid I went to an art gallery, and one of the exhibitions was a series of white cloth squares with a small stain in the center, and a description on a card describing the meal eaten which produced that stain. What I was looking at was individual poo tickets, that the artist had used to wipe his butt with.

:iceburn:

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

I have questions about this. How was the artist able to know which meal was being excreted? Did they do any work beforehand to figure out how long food stayed in their digestive tract, did they (incorrectly) assume that it was instant, or did they just kind of guess?

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

I have questions about this. How was the artist able to know which meal was being excreted? Did they do any work beforehand to figure out how long food stayed in their digestive tract, did they (incorrectly) assume that it was instant, or did they just kind of guess?

Does it matter? Even as a kid, I knew that it was a piss take. It was the artist saying "I could wipe my rear end on a napkin and you dumb fucks would hang it in a gallery". And in some bizarre art world never back down bluff calling that I still don't understand, the gallery people said "not only will we hang it in a gallery, we will make it a focal exhibition, and all us dumb fucks will contemplate your poo poo stained napkins and pontificate on your genius". I'm still not sure who the winner was.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

Does it matter? Even as a kid, I knew that it was a piss take. It was the artist saying "I could wipe my rear end on a napkin and you dumb fucks would hang it in a gallery". And in some bizarre art world never back down bluff calling that I still don't understand, the gallery people said "not only will we hang it in a gallery, we will make it a focal exhibition, and all us dumb fucks will contemplate your poo poo stained napkins and pontificate on your genius". I'm still not sure who the winner was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_Shit#Value

whoever has a can of this on their mantle and is willing to sell is the winner of the lovely art competition i think, these things are expensive as gently caress.

Manifisto

Finger Prince posted:

I don't know if it might have been the artist but I saw an exhibition of works by wim delvoye a while back (in hobart tasmania) and he made some similarly provocative stuff. there was a series where he put lipstick on his butthole and used them to make impressions on paper, sort of like a lipstick kiss. I don't know, when taken as a body of work I could sort of see what he was getting at. the centerpiece of this exhibit was his machine (actually several versions of the machine) called Cloaca that takes food as an input and digests it the way a human stomach would digest it and creates poop as a result. machines that poop, requiring a surprising amount of constant maintenance and care to make sure everything is working the way it should.

choice quote from the artist: "Delvoye collects and sells the realistically smelling output, suspended in small jars of resin at his Ghent studio. When asked about his inspiration, Delvoye stated that everything in modern life is pointless. The most useless object he could create was a machine that serves no purpose at all, besides the reduction of food to waste."

ty nesamdoom!

deep dish peat moss

I have way too much art up but it's all my own art, which appears narcissistic at first glance but is really just because it's hard to sell art.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I have a bunch of prints by this photographer, who does a lot of cool urbex:
https://cmgoodenburyphotography.com/

I really like his series of abandoned churches, because I like the idea that there's still a sense of beauty and sacredness in abandoned and broken-down places (and people).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )

Finger Prince posted:

drat, the trolls are out in force today!! :sweatdrop:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Buttchocks posted:

I really like his series of abandoned churches, because I like the idea that there's still a sense of beauty and sacredness in abandoned and broken-down places (and people).

Oh, I really like these ones.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Buttchocks

$3 yard sard special

Buttchocks

essential cat painting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i'm gonna do it op. i'm gonna say it.

home de bore hahahahahaha