Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
1) no OEM would ever do this because A) it does not save much money and B) primer is not designed to be a durable-long lasting corrosion preventative coating. Also, painting a car after it is assembled is expensive. I got a quote for a high-quality respray on my car, trim out, fully masked etc and it was about $5,000. It's much easier to paint all the painted parts before they are installed.

2) only super luxury OEMs offer true bespoke painting; the closest you can get is stuff like BMW Individual where you can pick paint colors from an extensive library (basically the first option). You can't offer every color under the sun because you have a specific paint supplier that supplies you with specific colors (or components of colors). Custom painting adds a ton of complexity in both the supply chain and manufacturing process, and complexity drives cost.

If you want your car to be a different color, vinyl wraps exist and are both good and not very expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It was $3500 if I recall correctly and the program was a dismal failure

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You’d probably already need some kind of relationship with Porsche.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Thinking about it a bit more, a Porsche dealer could commission this itself and sell the cars individually pretty easily I’d think. The harlequin look is excellent.

I suspect Porsche would frown on this.