Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The protocols of the elders of Zion is actually true, but it was written by crows about secret crow society and then someone found it and changed it to use it for anti-Semitic purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ProperCoochie posted:

Flying/Airports/Airplanes aren't really that stressful or hectic. People just love to complain about them because they really just want to brag about the trips they're taking.

Once you notice this, you'll never un-notice it.
More like the infrequency and occasion of flying for rare vacations or business trips make it a big deal to the majority of flyers. If the bus is late and you get to work late and you are docked pay that's just Tuesday and you're not gonna bother talking about it.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Moving from point A to point B usually sucks and an airport is the rear end in a top hat of point A

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

Flying/Airports/Airplanes aren't really that stressful or hectic. People just love to complain about them because they really just want to brag about the trips they're taking.

Once you notice this, you'll never un-notice it.

i fly very frequently and don't mention most of my trips to anyone and you are deeply, incredibly wrong. flying sucks and its been consistently getting worse

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
dont make me say it a third time, America is the FIST WORLD

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
One day humans will probably have some sort of colony on the moon and/or Mars, but only as a byproduct. The real reason for researching space colonization is to find a way to keep Earth habitable following catastrophic ecological collapse. If you can make a self sufficient colony with enough resilience to survive in the vacuum of space, you can maybe make a colony to keep people alive on this hell world.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

YoursTruly posted:

One day humans will probably have some sort of colony on the moon and/or Mars, but only as a byproduct. The real reason for researching space colonization is to find a way to keep Earth habitable following catastrophic ecological collapse. If you can make a self sufficient colony with enough resilience to survive in the vacuum of space, you can maybe make a colony to keep people alive on this hell world.

This isn't a conspiracy theory. Jeff Bezos just said it to reporters after rode launched his dick missile

Mumpy Puffinz fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 24, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I swear to you water boils slower than it used to

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hemale in pain posted:

I swear to you water boils slower than it used to

It certainly might. Depending on where you live and how your water is treated, it might take a little longer to boil. Now, if you never moved since childhood, how is Flint Michigan?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Republicans ran crippled guys for president in 96 and 08 to lose intentionally to pave the way for W and Jeb but Jeb fumbled.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Memes are used to track human social networks cross social media sharing platforms.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

The Republicans ran crippled guys for president in 96 and 08 to lose intentionally to pave the way for W and Jeb but Jeb fumbled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5ool05vOo&t=14s

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Das Boo posted:

This is in Glendale, CA so I'm highly suspicious. Rent's gotta be at least a chandelier a year.

What’s the address?

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
because the internet is such a dense and active network of nodes, it has a personal consciousness with executive function similar to the ‘subject’ that inhabits a human brain/body

the internet feeds off of humans. humans input symbols and electricity into the internet. the internet uses these to fuel it’s own growth. it spends significant resources luring humans in like a pitcher plant.

i dunno the more i type this out i realize i’m just describing the matrix so maybe it’s not that interesting

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the mind is a series of tubes

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

i guess the interesting point would be like, why did the matrix keep the humans around? “batteries” is obviously stupid in a thermodynamic sense. what’s more likely is that

- humans are symbol engines - humans consume calories and output symbols and narratives

or

- humans are divinity antennas- humans can directly access the divine but the machines cannot

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ocean Book posted:

i guess the interesting point would be like, why did the matrix keep the humans around? “batteries” is obviously stupid in a thermodynamic sense. what’s more likely is that

- humans are symbol engines - humans consume calories and output symbols and narratives

or

- humans are divinity antennas- humans can directly access the divine but the machines cannot

The Matrix is just Gnosticism so the machines (Archons) are just keeping us around to harvest our emotions, primarily negative ones

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Earwicker posted:

i fly very frequently and don't mention most of my trips to anyone and you are deeply, incredibly wrong. flying sucks and its been consistently getting worse

it’s fine outside the US and if you fly with a full service airline

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
there a bunch of cool fruits and vegetables out there that are being kept secret

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Ocean Book posted:

or

OR the matrix robots aren't nearly as mean as people like you are making them out to be

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

there a bunch of cool fruits and vegetables out there that are being kept secret

This guy's on the job https://www.youtube.com/c/WeirdExplorer

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I have a slight allergy to grapes. They dry me out something terrible

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

it’s fine outside the US and if you fly with a full service airline

this was true for a while, but not really anymore. air travel in europe has been pretty hosed lately. massive staff shortages, thousands of cancelled flights, and it's been going on for months.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Ocean Book posted:

because the internet is such a dense and active network of nodes, it has a personal consciousness with executive function similar to the ‘subject’ that inhabits a human brain/body

the internet feeds off of humans. humans input symbols and electricity into the internet. the internet uses these to fuel it’s own growth. it spends significant resources luring humans in like a pitcher plant.

i dunno the more i type this out i realize i’m just describing the matrix so maybe it’s not that interesting

The Fourth Revolution: How the Infosphere is Reshaping Human Reality Tangentially, this is an interesting book. I don't recall if he really goes deep into the Infosphere description but if you get down to the 1s and 0s you could describe it as digital Buddhism.

quote:

Who are we, and how do we relate to each other? Luciano Floridi, one of the leading figures in contemporary philosophy, argues that the explosive developments in Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) is changing the answer to these fundamental human questions.

As the boundaries between life online and offline break down, and we become seamlessly connected to each other and surrounded by smart, responsive objects, we are all becoming integrated into an "infosphere". Personas we adopt in social media, for example, feed into our 'real' lives so that we begin to live, as Floridi puts in, "onlife". Following those led by Copernicus, Darwin, and Freud, this metaphysical shift represents nothing less than a fourth revolution.

"Onlife" defines more and more of our daily activity - the way we shop, work, learn, care for our health, entertain ourselves, conduct our relationships; the way we interact with the worlds of law, finance, and politics; even the way we conduct war. In every department of life, ICTs have become environmental forces which are creating and transforming our realities. How can we ensure that we shall reap their benefits? What are the implicit risks? Are our technologies going to enable and empower us, or constrain us? Floridi argues that we must expand our ecological and ethical approach to cover both natural and man-made realities, putting the 'e' in an environmentalism that can deal successfully with the new challenges posed by our digital technologies and information society.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 25, 2022

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
All modern TVs have terrible speakers because they want to you to buy a soundbar too

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Ocean Book posted:

or

In the original script humans served as distributed computational power for the machine being that created the matrix. The bigwigs changed it to humans being batteries. IIRC that is.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

OR the matrix robots aren't nearly as mean as people like you are making them out to be

it’s not really a matter of mean or nice. it’s a matter of resource extraction. early pastoralists were worshipful of their cattle. those cows lived blessed lives. nowadays cows are having a significantly less good time. i expect a similar but far more rapid trajectory for the human-internet dynamic.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Speaking of the Matrix, this video says people are taking a blue pill that lets them talk to Islam's Satan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyyqT61zGFU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

you can customize your divine revelations by using the right drug

dmt - loving union with a protective creative father. you fit into a coherent, personal divine plan.

salvia - you are a speck in a vast, incomprehensible, everchanging sea. there is a divine plan, but it is on a scale incomprehensible to your psyche.

weed - you are an isolated monad. you are your thoughts. there is no divine union. there is only You - an eternal, alienated observation.

ketamine - you are god. realities manifest at your whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ocean Book posted:

salvia - you are a speck in a vast, incomprehensible, everchanging sea. there is a divine plan, but it is on a scale incomprehensible to your psyche.

Reminds me of another personal conspiracy theory of mine: God does have a plan but it's nothing more than forcing humans to act out their lives as predetermined by the laws of physics, which pretty much act like a random number generator with a few set parameters.

Basically, God does play dice, the dice are loaded, and he beats your rear end if you try to use your free will to do something else other than what the dice say to do. If someone gets aways with murder it's because the dice said they could.