Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Benny Harvey posted:

In case this hasn't been posted before: see also air.

i need that to breathe though :( i think they should make it illegal to poison the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

wa27 posted:

My conspiracy theory: Modern tempered glass phone screen protectors don't do anything and are a big scam. They break easily so every time someone drops their phone and shatters their screen protector, they're like "thank God I had the screen protector!" And then they have to buy 3 or 4 of them every year for 8 bucks a pop. When in reality the drop wouldn't have broken the screen in the first place.

For a while it was my conspiracy theory that phone protectors in general were scams because who the gently caress just goes around dropping valuable poo poo that they're holding? Like, don't let go of it. It's like needing seatbelts for your couch.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Counterargument: my phone screen is cracked because I dropped it. Multiple times.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Presto posted:

Counterargument: my phone screen is cracked because I dropped it. Multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Deg7VrpHbM

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
most people who go outside drop their phones

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
COINTELPRO style infiltrators are in this thread and are posting banal derails to stop people from learning the truth about the hollow earth

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Pac and Cheese posted:

most people who go outside drop their phones

I know, right? Why do they have such trouble with this?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BasicLich posted:

COINTELPRO style infiltrators are in this thread and are posting banal derails to stop people from learning the truth about the hollow earth

Hollow earth theories themselves are an op to distract from and discredit the real secret that we're the ones on the inside surface

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

wa27 posted:

My conspiracy theory: Modern tempered glass phone screen protectors don't do anything and are a big scam. They break easily so every time someone drops their phone and shatters their screen protector, they're like "thank God I had the screen protector!" And then they have to buy 3 or 4 of them every year for 8 bucks a pop. When in reality the drop wouldn't have broken the screen in the first place.

They do protect against scratches, but these days the phone screens are stronger than the tempered glass screen, and if the force is strong enough to shatter your phone screen, the tempered glass probably will not have helped. Also, there's no difference in protection between a $5 tempered glass protector and a $40 one so if you are going to use one, get the cheap ones.

But also - using screen protectors sucks. A lot of them just don't feel right, they screw with the touch sensitivity, add more glare, etc. Using a case with a lip that extends beyond the screen combined with not storing your phone in the same pocket as your keys is enough for most people.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

They do protect against scratches, but these days the phone screens are stronger than the tempered glass screen, and if the force is strong enough to shatter your phone screen, the tempered glass probably will not have helped. Also, there's no difference in protection between a $5 tempered glass protector and a $40 one so if you are going to use one, get the cheap ones.

But also - using screen protectors sucks. A lot of them just don't feel right, they screw with the touch sensitivity, add more glare, etc. Using a case with a lip that extends beyond the screen combined with not storing your phone in the same pocket as your keys is enough for most people.

people probably are adding too much risk to their phone screen by taking it with them every time they leave the house. That’d save tons of potential risk of damage and possibly traffic accidents.

for example if you are leaving the house to run errands for the day in your town without going anywhere you’ve never been then chances are you can leave that thing at home

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
pawn stars was a psyop to get more money out of rubes (see also: almost everything else in the monetary economy)

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Every job you've ever worked at knows a minor thing that winds you up.
They make sure to hire/employ at least one person who does that thing.
Sometimes more.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the government is corrupt and we're on so many drugs with the radio on and the curtains drawn... we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine and the machine is bleeding to death

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Record companies will promote white rappers that make albums that are funny or at least non-serious but nearly all of the black artists they promote make angry or serious albums which contributes to the "angry black man" stereotype. This seems to have changed a bit in recent years but was true for a long time. I am not trying to say that angry or serious albums aren't good, just that the intentional of variety you see in popular rap is artificial and dumb.

Mexican Deathgasm fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 23, 2022

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Record companies will promote white rappers that make albums that are funny or at least non-serious but nearly all of the black artists they promote make angry or serious albums which contributes to the "angry black man" stereotype. This seems to have changed a bit in recent years but was true for a long time. I am not trying to say that angry or serious albums aren't good, just that the intentional of variety you see in popular rap is artificial and dumb.

Angry white men rap mostly about anime and that doesn't sell

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Online "[_] I'm not a robot" check boxes test, track, and measure the limits of "human" intelligence with the ultimate goal of boxing me in to "their" detection range.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Online "[_] I'm not a robot" check boxes test, track, and measure the limits of "human" intelligence with the ultimate goal of boxing me in to "their" detection range.

But a robot is chopping up the pictures and coming up with the questions, so the real question is are you a peasant?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Over 50% of the posters ITT actually believe the conspiracy hypotheses they posted.

Source: loving intuition, mate.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Bad Purchase posted:

the government is corrupt and we're on so many drugs with the radio on and the curtains drawn... we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine and the machine is bleeding to death

that was 25 years ago, things are much better now

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There are people and bots employed online solely to discredit the recent bidet movement in an effort to preserve the indefinite American dependence on toilet paper and the socially enabled, daily employee-abuse that is forcing employees to use single ply toilet paper.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Bad Purchase posted:

That's the American government for you. America is a third world country, and people don't recognise it... and I think that that's pretty god drat sad, that they don't recognise their own country as a third world, third rate, third class slum.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I can think of a fringe belief that I'd like to be true, if I had to choose one: that budgerigars and other birds communicate with the divine, who wants us to be good to each other (give or take a bunch of nonsense about quantum) and also sometimes tell the budgies what pretty birds they are, and clever too

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

rootdown posted:

That's the American government for you. America is a third world country, and people don't recognise it... and I think that that's pretty god drat sad, that they don't recognise their own country as a third world, third rate, third class slum.

and when you realize it, you open up your wallet and it's full of blood

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Bad Purchase posted:

and when you realize it, you open up your wallet and it's full of blood

The government... the American government - they're sneaky, they're very deceitful, they're liars, they're cheats, they're rip-offs. I mean, the American government is one systematic government that... that nobody can trust. I don't trust them myself.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

rootdown posted:

part of the problem is that people constantly misuse this term

the original meaning of "third world" was from the cold war and it meant any nation that wasn't directly aligned with either NATO (the "first world") or the Warsaw Pact (the "second world"). propaganda, racism, and xenophobia turned the term into what it is today.

the US is a country with a serious corruption problem, a serious racism problem, and a serious wealth inequality problem. but such problems are traits that specifically comes from or is associated with those countries once or currently designated "third world". that terminology doesn't even apply, and in many respects countries once labeled "third world" are doing better than us, and many of the problems generally associated with supposed "third world" countries continue to exist in countries that were once called "first" or "second" world.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 24, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

part of the problem is that people constantly misuse this term

the original meaning of "third world" was from the cold war and it meant any nation that wasn't directly aligned with either NATO (the first world) or the Warsaw Pact (the second world). propaganda, racism, and xenophobia turned the term into what it is today.

the US is a country with a serious corruption problem, a serious racism problem, and a serious wealth inequality problem. but such problems are not at all a trait that specifically comes from or is associated with those countries once or currently designated "third world". that terminology doesn't even apply, and in many respects countries once labeled "third world" are doing better than us.

America is the fist world, and USSR is the second world. The third world was places that they had no influence. It really make no sense in this day and age

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Usually, people are... are pretty much in agreement with what I'm saying

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

rootdown posted:

Usually, people are... are pretty much in agreement with what I'm saying

:hmmyes:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
people aren't posting godspeed you black emperor lyrics itt, godspeed you black emperor are time travelers who stole their lyrics from future something awful threads

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Cubone posted:

people aren't posting godspeed you black emperor lyrics itt, godspeed you black emperor are time travelers who stole their lyrics from future something awful threads

if i have to raise my skinny fists like antennas to the heavens again i swear to god

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
My personal conspiracy theory is that the cold blooded reptilian aliens used to control the government but they cut their losses and bogged off back to space when they realized just how determined we are to destroy ourselves.

I also believe that the USA has built the worlds largest stockpile of nuclear weapons in Australia, its the last place that you would expect to find them therefore making it the perfect hiding spot.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

coldpudding posted:

My personal conspiracy theory is that the cold blooded reptilian aliens used to control the government but they cut their losses and bogged off back to space when they realized just how determined we are to destroy ourselves.

I think the cold blooded reptile alien who runs the world lost their admin login and password and has just been using increasingly more exaggerated lies to all the reptile aliens as to why things seem to be spieling out of control.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Sid Vicious posted:

if i have to raise my skinny fists like antennas to the heavens again i swear to god

lol

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Flying/Airports/Airplanes aren't really that stressful or hectic. People just love to complain about them because they really just want to brag about the trips they're taking.

Once you notice this, you'll never un-notice it.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Social media is manipulated not just by think tanks, PACs, and profit-seeking AI, but by more effective NSA(and other country equivalent)-controlled AI/algorithms and groups of astroturfers and agents working with them. These groups promulgate toxic meme complexes for political ends. Modern political movements didn't grow solely organically - they were heavily influenced, programmed into society by dueling agencies. Because people's values are socially transmitted and reinforced, they can now be controlled(at a statistical, societal level) with incredible effectiveness.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

microsoft has lost parts of the windows source code and thats why things stay the same for a long time until they decide to make a new version, like the win11 taskbar.

also the add font dialog

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The pirate skull&crossbones logo is four dicks docking while death watches. I don't know what the implications of this are but this is huge

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The chandelier store down the street from me is a front. The evidence:

1) In the 4 years I've lived here, I've never seen it open once.
2) I've never seen a worker in there.
3) It's full of crates all the time.
4) There's graffiti on the street-facing window that has been there for years.
5) It is a chandelier store.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Chandeliers are pricey. You probably only have to sell one every 7 years or so to make rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This is in Glendale, CA so I'm highly suspicious. Rent's gotta be at least a chandelier a year.