Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

y'all seriously need to get your bubbles blued, like yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
blue crew

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Skeleton Ape posted:

Pixels are better. They've never had very good camera hardware or crazy specs but they hang in there a long time

E: although apparently the Pixel 6 finally has something approaching a real camera? I haven't seen one yet

Uhhhhh what, the cameras on the pixel phones have been very good??? I'm pretty sure that was even among the main selling points

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Uhhhhh what, the cameras on the pixel phones have been very good??? I'm pretty sure that was even among the main selling points

Google's processing software does produce amazing results. But the raw sensor data from them is made of poo and rear end

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Skeleton Ape posted:

Google's processing software does produce amazing results. But the raw sensor data from them is made of poo and rear end

so the camera is good you loving dweeb. the hardware is tied to android software processing lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

kntfkr posted:

blue crew

better blue than doo doo

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Skeleton Ape posted:

This is entirely accurate, except I am too dumb and impatient for RPGs and have never finished one

JRPGs are loving boring it's true

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if u dont have a phone with a stylus youre poor and an idiot =]

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Samsung offers 5 years of security updates to compensate for all the trackers in the bloatware it comes loaded with.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Peggy Edson posted:

so the camera is good you loving dweeb. the hardware is tied to android software processing lol

I guess I'm trying to say it produces amazing results considering what it has to work with. It would be better if the actual camera was good, instead of using AI to guess at details

Skeleton Ape fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 14, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

It's also a little late to say this but lol at the minimalist phone having a meditation app

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

minimalists know that "less is more", but they don't want more, they want less. so they add more apps to their phones because of the converse, "more is less". that's how you achieve a minimal phone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Chinatown posted:

I attached a stylus on a string to my Nokia 3310. Does that count?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

lmao

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Wife wants to go back to t mobile from verizon so i guess im switching from this samsung 23 or whayever the gently caress back to a pixel. I hope it doesnt suck, but ut would be hard to suck worse than this phone i have now does, thr inly way it could be worse is if it was an iphone

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i scratched my pixel 6 screen ):

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bad Purchase posted:

y'all seriously need to get your bubbles blued, like yesterday

This. I'm reading through this thread and just flabbergasted that this is the typical experience for the majority of people who purchase an Android product.

I don't care what people use and I'm not an OS zealot or anything but holy poo poo I can't imagine living my life like that and having to janitor my phone.

edit:

CJacobs posted:

Samsung's voicemail app is stupid. It serves you ads unless you pay, and if you delete it you have to use the really old school method of calling your own phone no. to check your voicemail, no replacement generic android app. I had to get Google Voice because screw that it's 2022.

Like, this one. WTF. How exactly does Samsung have the market share is has.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

, thr inly way it could be worse is if it was an iphone

:haibrower:

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I like my S Pen(is)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

This. I'm reading through this thread and just flabbergasted that this is the typical experience for the majority of people who purchase an Android product.

I don't care what people use and I'm not an OS zealot or anything but holy poo poo I can't imagine living my life like that and having to janitor my phone.

edit:

Like, this one. WTF. How exactly does Samsung have the market share is has.
What kind of civilized person uses voice-mail nowadays?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

What kind of civilized person uses voice-mail nowadays?

you mean you actually pick up the phone when it rings? just wait for the voicemail, read the transcript, and callback if it's someone you want to talk to

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my voicemail message tells people my voicemail is broken and that they'll need to text or email me

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Laughing at unskilled noobs in this thread who can't use Bixbu

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

you mean you actually pick up the phone when it rings? just wait for the voicemail, read the transcript, and callback if it's someone you want to talk to

No I mean what caveman leaves a voice-mail instead of hanging up and sending a message instead

Bloody Penguin
Apr 3, 2009

I was hoping to come up with an objection while banging on my desk, Your Honor. ...I didn't.
Lol. Why don't you idiots just buy a Fairphone 4? It's ethical, has a 5-year warranty, clean android AND it allows you to install your own OS without breaking warranty.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I like having a computer in my pocket but I don't like that only Chinese robots call me.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bloody Penguin posted:

Lol. Why don't you idiots just buy a Fairphone 4? It's ethical, has a 5-year warranty, clean android AND it allows you to install your own OS without breaking warranty.

First time I'm hearing about this

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i had an htc lightning or thunderbolt and among the absolutely shameless dogshit shovelware on it was the Blockbustet app

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

i had an htc lightning or thunderbolt and among the absolutely shameless dogshit shovelware on it was the Blockbustet app

I had that garbage phone. It had a kickstand iirc. And FOUR G!!!

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Bad Purchase posted:

How could I waste 15 minutes of a scammers time if I don't answer?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

How could I waste 15 minutes of a scammers time if I don't answer?

record a 15 minute long voicemail greeting where you pretend to be having a conversation and only reveal that it’s actually a recording and that you gottem right at the end?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Just send them to Lenny.
https://lennytroll.com/

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
The Nokia phones I like have Android One which is just a near stock version of Android with a bare set of Google apps.

Billy Ray Blowjob fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 15, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
When they said Android was customizable, they were correct, you're just not the one who gets to customize it.

Also you have to wait for the OEM to alter the ROM, so the carrier alter the ROM, in order to get an update, if they deign to do so at all. This could take a month or more lol. Want to get rid of NFL Mobile? Sorry, it's baked in, you just get to "deactivate" it.

Apple: You can have every update we release for 7 years. No one else's shitapp is bundled, and you can dump almost all of our shitapps if you want.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

b...but i can't sideload apps!

unless i jailbreak or get a developer account, two hurdles which i will not attempt

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Its 2022, you can put any OS on any Phone

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Bad Purchase posted:

record a 15 minute long voicemail greeting where you pretend to be having a conversation and only reveal that it’s actually a recording and that you gottem right at the end?

Way back in the era of nokia 3310 i joked with my friend that wouldn't it be funny if you recorded a greeting that's like "yeah hello? Yes? Uh-huh... hm..." and so on for a while before revealing it was just a joke.

Well a few years later i made a call to said friend where i thought the conversation got a bit strange and then he was like "just kidding, it's my voicemail". Goddamnit :argh:

Or maybe it was real and he just didn't wanna talk with me :thunk:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

2nd Amendment posted:

At some point ever society has to come to terms with what happens on phones.

Spoiler alert: it involves AI Capone and people will tell you it is hard Sci fi.

Neutron Alchemist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

itry posted:

You know poo poo's getting annoying when a $370 minimalist phone is an attractive idea.

The horrible truth.