Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Orange Devil posted:

My biggest question is "why Byzantium?"

Just always loving Byzantium.

because it is a hard start and makes it fun to retake land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

It's sort of funny, because without Islam, all of the same animus would be directed at Coptic, Nestorian and Syriac Christians "for some reason".

lol that the portuguese landed at goa and nearly immediately started persecuting local christians.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tankbuster posted:

lol that the portuguese landed at goa and nearly immediately started persecuting local christians.

Lol yeah, portugese: not even once

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its insane local privileges given to the nazarene christians when iberia was half ruled by muslims were revoked by papal decree outright and led to rebellion. Just an entirely dumb loving people.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

hosed up that warhammer fantasy didn’t have Byzantines
have them embody every medieval orientalist stereotype about the decadent Greek with coked up cataphracts charging out of perfumed silk slaaneshi tents while palace eunuchs grovel at the feet of the gold encrusted emperors and secretly worship tzeentch

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they just put the entirety of the balkans as the border princes. Dogs of war DLC when?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Didn't the Warhammer armies project that added Estalia and Tilea add not-Byzantium?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Didn't the Warhammer armies project that added Estalia and Tilea add not-Byzantium?

don’t think so, I think there’s a dwarven city where Constantinople would be that has a Tyrian purple color scheme but no other lore. warhammer fantasy’s setting is a bit late for Byzantium to be there though it’s also a setting where the Holy Roman Empire popped out of the aether fully formed with all the Roman successor state trappings despite there not having been an actual Roman Empire

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

FrancisFukyomama posted:

don’t think so, I think there’s a dwarven city where Constantinople would be that has a Tyrian purple color scheme but no other lore. warhammer fantasy’s setting is a bit late for Byzantium to be there though it’s also a setting where the Holy Roman Empire popped out of the aether fully formed with all the Roman successor state trappings despite there not having been an actual Roman Empire

there was in fact the Reman Empire yes this is stupid but

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Reman_Empire

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
as an aside, modders for shogun 2 are making a carlist wars mod where you get the really good gunpowder combat from shogun 2 in a setting where most people have smoothbore muskets.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Warhammer is early modernity and thus Byzies are gone

The Turks are present as Orks

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

as an aside, modders for shogun 2 are making a carlist wars mod where you get the really good gunpowder combat from shogun 2 in a setting where most people have smoothbore muskets.

Was Shogun 2 before or after Napoleon?

I wish CA would do another gunpowder game but I'm afraid they're addicted to the money and audience of Warhammer and it's going to suck (if it ever gets made).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
shogun 2 was after napoleon and fall of the samurai showed off the boshin war. One of the funnier aspects of modding in that game was people fixing CA's "incompetence" by adding things like horse drawn artillery from the napoleonic era despite the game taking place in the middle of the 19th century. Wow I am sure the domains that were buying modern artillery like armstrong guns would use old rear end cannons too.

Meanwhile you can do things like dismount your carbine cavalry for fun and use them to seize strategic objectives like mounted infantry.

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 14:16 on Mar 29, 2024

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

thinking about green qara qoyunlu

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
closing in on 1900 in a Victoria 3 game, and one of the things that sticks out like a sore thumb (besides the Dengist Haiti effect, which I've noticed) is that the game inverts the logic of colonialism

when you seize a new colony, it probably doesn't have a lot of population, so if you need the state to start producing lots of Sulfur or Lead that you previously lacked, you want to maximize productivity with as few workers as possible

so you build a new Lead Mine, and you immediately adopt all of the modernizing practices: Diesel Pumps, Dynamite, and Steam Donkeys

you also want to use Rail Transportation over Road Carts, since that's another 1,000 fewer Laborers you'll need, so you build a railroad in the province

of course, all of these require Clerks and Engineers and Machinists, so you also want to build a University so that the uneducated POPs have a better chance of promoting into the skilled trades

you also don't want those POPs to be overspending on Services, so you upgrade the Urban Center to have Electric Streetlights, but then that means requiring Electricity, so you also build a Power Plant in the state

so it's not just Dengist Haiti, it's also Belt-and-Road where you're investing a ton into developing the infrastructure

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the next patch is changing the mechanics of how wealth is generated/extracted so we can have the classic colonialism.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
inadvertently proving that communism is the optimal economic system is a time-honored vicky tradition tho

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
what vicky 3 does right now is developmentalism.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It’s just loving incredible that they either didn’t notice or didn’t care that this was the outcome of the game systems they were building during testing.

Just simulating the dynamics of the period completely rear end-backwards and then being really proud of it.

I still remember the idiot goons in this thread defending the simulation or trying to claim it was just because I had a skill issue when I pointed all this poo poo out right after release.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

inadvertently proving that communism is the optimal economic system is a time-honored vicky tradition tho
i love that story

the entire economics model of vicky 2 was designed by a scottish thatcherite that left the company shortly after release and got hired back after about 3 years because his startup failed, but he designed the economics model to specifically benefit laissez faire economics and wound up just never having the time to test how it would work in the game because he was planning on leaving the company and it turned out he had accidentally made it so that the more communist you were, the better

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
it isnt really surprising that the most design- and computation-simple way to ensure that the world industrializes is to make it so that increasing orders of industrial development are always best for everybody everywhere. i'm doubtful that the ownership changes alone will be enough to introduce class conflict to victoria 3, they would really need something like pops generate limited hours per week to spend on doing things and have their SoL decrease when expending hours on work. as long as going to work isnt destructive to the worker's very being, then private ownership overhauls will just invent new ways for special individuals to add their unique arcana to the global anarcho-cooperative market

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

It’s just loving incredible that they either didn’t notice or didn’t care that this was the outcome of the game systems they were building during testing.

Just simulating the dynamics of the period completely rear end-backwards and then being really proud of it.

I still remember the idiot goons in this thread defending the simulation or trying to claim it was just because I had a skill issue when I pointed all this poo poo out right after release.

communication skill issue

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fermun posted:

i love that story

the entire economics model of vicky 2 was designed by a scottish thatcherite that left the company shortly after release and got hired back after about 3 years because his startup failed, but he designed the economics model to specifically benefit laissez faire economics and wound up just never having the time to test how it would work in the game because he was planning on leaving the company and it turned out he had accidentally made it so that the more communist you were, the better

what I've heard of V3's design is that the economic model resting on the Construction Sector concept was based on a reaction to Laissez Faire economics in V2: that you always had to let the player have some control over economic development, because it was supposedly too powerful to have an economic mode that would run on auto-pilot

my take is: LF in V2 was not good. You couldn't control what factories your Capitalists would build, and you couldn't control what they expanded or closed-down, and you couldn't subsidize any factories. It wasn't very powerful at all, because even though it ran hands-off, the actual output of the auto-pilot was often less-than-ideal. That may well be a realistic depiction of what economic development is like under LF, from the perspective of a state bureaucrat or a civic-minded head-of-state, but it's not something that you would need to nerf.

The real game was in either State Capitalism or full Command Economy; the latter requires the player do everything themselves, but once you have a sufficiently powerful economy you can just shift-ctrl-click all your factories for mass-expansion anyway

so they take that model of State Capitalism in V2, and make it the baseline behavior in V3. No wonder it's so powerful!

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

I've heard this is because they are neoliberal swedes. Someone wrote out a long post on the ideology of the Paradox devs, based on interviews, dev diaries and design choices, but I can't find it.

Wiz used to be a prolific poster on the forums, though I don't know if he posted in LF.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

my take is: LF in V2 was not good. You couldn't control what factories your Capitalists would build, and you couldn't control what they expanded or closed-down, and you couldn't subsidize any factories. It wasn't very powerful at all, because even though it ran hands-off, the actual output of the auto-pilot was often less-than-ideal. That may well be a realistic depiction of what economic development is like under LF, from the perspective of a state bureaucrat or a civic-minded head-of-state, but it's not something that you would need to nerf.

No I think that was exactly the issue they were trying to fix- capitalist driven investment frequently is dumber than actual capitalists (and in crucially different ways) and even when it works its boring because there was nothing to do. Additionally it was even worse with v2s political model where the liberals manage to get 50.1% of the vote and suddenly you can't touch the economy for four years. And I don't think most of v3s problems stem from the player having too much control over the economy. Unfortunately I think it's biggest issue is that the AI is garbage and thus you're basically forced into autarky by the midgame- foreign investment will help this at least so you won't have to directly conquer oil fields every game but it still messes with how the global economy is supposed to work

stumblebum posted:

it isnt really surprising that the most design- and computation-simple way to ensure that the world industrializes is to make it so that increasing orders of industrial development are always best for everybody everywhere. i'm doubtful that the ownership changes alone will be enough to introduce class conflict to victoria 3, they would really need something like pops generate limited hours per week to spend on doing things and have their SoL decrease when expending hours on work. as long as going to work isnt destructive to the worker's very being, then private ownership overhauls will just invent new ways for special individuals to add their unique arcana to the global anarcho-cooperative market

Exactly yeah- it's a game that's frankly a little too ambitious for its own good and they had to take a bunch of shortcuts to get it out the door. I think it'd be interesting to make a game that's a much more abstract take on the period like the old Imperialism games, but Paradox's whole brand is maximalism (a common problem among computer strategy games imo)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Imperialism, both I and II were both better games and better simulations. Which is loving hilarious.

Developers and gamers really need to learn that a lot of the time, less is more. But no lets make Terra Invicta instead lmao

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

KomradeX posted:

Even the first one is much more a puzzle than fighting it out because you can finish some missions very quickly by putting yourself in very precarious tactical situations but the mission ends as soon as you complete the objective so it doesn't matter, and my major problem in wargames is I can be overly cautious

Busy trying to shore up my front to take on more enemies instead, of sending one scout to the machine house for the Vasel Bridge mission.

Orange Devil posted:

Soooo… I should get the communism simulator?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Orange Devil posted:

Imperialism, both I and II were both better games and better simulations. Which is loving hilarious.

Developers and gamers really need to learn that a lot of the time, less is more. But no lets make Terra Invicta instead lmao

Aw man, but the Netflix Three Body Problem show made me wanna go back to Terra Invicta and see if it was better.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Absolutely- it's unfortunately not really Paradox's model, and they do get some good mileage out of it, but I really wish games would think harder about when to abstract stuff and/or make it easier for humans to understand. I was going to praise Unity of Command for this but I just got stuck in a scenario where it forgot to tell me I needed bridging equipment and now I'm mad at it

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Soooo… I should get the communism simulator?

Spend all your money, go nuts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's now August 1899 in my Philippines game of Victoria 3, and I think we've just passed a critical point.

I wanted to implement Central Planning, but it requires that you shift to either Autocracy, Oligarchy, or a One-Party State, and when I chose to implement the third, it set off a revolutionary progress bar with the middle class wanting to fight to keep Universal Suffrage. It came down literally to the wire with the revolution meter at 95% before One-Party State was finally passed and the crisis was defused, but if it took a couple weeks longer or one of the decisions added 5% revolt chance instead of subtracted from it, I would have had a civil war that split the country right down the middle.

[the Catholic Church thankfully was a non-factor, its power having been broken in the 1860s after a contentious passing of State Atheism]

That having been done, I moved on Central Planning, and for however much we talk about the baseline Construction Sector model being powerful, the Central Planning mode is even better: all the profits flow back right into the government treasury, so the budget surplus went up by a full two orders of magnitude. I could probably hit the subsidize button on everything and not even flinch. And you're going to need all that cash, because now we're also entering the part of the tech tree where we're transitioning from Coal to Oil, and most production methods are needing Electricity, and POPs are demanding Telephones, and Automobiles are now a potential transportation option, so there's a ton of power plants and oil rigs and new motor industries buildings that need to be built.

Politically, my next goal will be to shift to a Council Republic to promote the power of the Trade Unions even further, and then from there implement Collectivized Agriculture to complete the transition to communism, but it's going to require a showdown with the Petit Bourgeoisie first.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's now August 1899 in my Philippines game of Victoria 3, and I think we've just passed a critical point.

I wanted to implement Central Planning, but it requires that you shift to either Autocracy, Oligarchy, or a One-Party State, and when I chose to implement the third, it set off a revolutionary progress bar with the middle class wanting to fight to keep Universal Suffrage. It came down literally to the wire with the revolution meter at 95% before One-Party State was finally passed and the crisis was defused, but if it took a couple weeks longer or one of the decisions added 5% revolt chance instead of subtracted from it, I would have had a civil war that split the country right down the middle.

[the Catholic Church thankfully was a non-factor, its power having been broken in the 1860s after a contentious passing of State Atheism]

That having been done, I moved on Central Planning, and for however much we talk about the baseline Construction Sector model being powerful, the Central Planning mode is even better: all the profits flow back right into the government treasury, so the budget surplus went up by a full two orders of magnitude. I could probably hit the subsidize button on everything and not even flinch. And you're going to need all that cash, because now we're also entering the part of the tech tree where we're transitioning from Coal to Oil, and most production methods are needing Electricity, and POPs are demanding Telephones, and Automobiles are now a potential transportation option, so there's a ton of power plants and oil rigs and new motor industries buildings that need to be built.

Politically, my next goal will be to shift to a Council Republic to promote the power of the Trade Unions even further, and then from there implement Collectivized Agriculture to complete the transition to communism, but it's going to require a showdown with the Petit Bourgeoisie first.

What's your current year and population, I want to compare it to the historical population.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I just remembered Victoria 3 devs and fans describing the gameplay as "tend your garden" which is a really funny way to say the international\map layer gameplay is trash

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Orange Devil posted:

Terra Invicta and Vicky 3 are both good u dumbass

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

gradenko_2000 posted:

multi paras of gradenkos interesting struggle to bring about communism in the face of internal class and ideological currents

Ugh... cringe lib swede devs have once again failed to make a literal 1:1 simulation of the most complicated social forces on earth thats playable on a personal computer... to the wall with fail king wiz *fires up classic but insanely simple 30 year old 4x in dosbox for tge millionth time in my life*

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

If it was either interesting or a struggle it'd be a fun game. Unfortunately it is neither.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

What's your current year and population, I want to compare it to the historical population.

it's August 1899, and my reported population is 10.4 million people

however, I conquered Johore in the Malayan peninsula; and two states in Borneo, and two states in New Guinea, which adds about 1.593 million people that wouldn't have otherwise been in historical Philippines.

at the same time, I did not completely conquer Sulu and Mindanao, which are still considered neighboring states, and that's about 476k people I should have

all told, I estimate that any comparison against history would have to be against 9.283 million

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
pinoy power.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's August 1899, and my reported population is 10.4 million people

however, I conquered Johore in the Malayan peninsula; and two states in Borneo, and two states in New Guinea, which adds about 1.593 million people that wouldn't have otherwise been in historical Philippines.

at the same time, I did not completely conquer Sulu and Mindanao, which are still considered neighboring states, and that's about 476k people I should have

all told, I estimate that any comparison against history would have to be against 9.283 million

The historical pop would be 6.4 million so you're at about 50% more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah presumably the US failed at expanding across the pacific.