Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BearsBearsBears posted:

I was looking at Victoria 3 mods and found this in a performance optimization mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3213294110

It seems like Vicky 3 is looking at every country's flag every single tick (multiple times per in-game day) and check if it should be changed. The proper way to do it is to have an add commands to immediately update the flag after certain events (revolutions, elections, declaring independence, etc) and then have a maintenance event that runs every year or so and checks every country just in case you forget to add the flag update command somewhere.

Paradox needs to hire either more devs or more competent ones.

That is incredible baby mistake poo poo. Are they not teaching memory management in CS classes any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Don't they also do poo poo like that in Stellaris where every pop is polled? Or at least early on in development when they would all decide each cycle if they were materialists/religious/xenophobic/etc.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

BadOptics posted:

Don't they also do poo poo like that in Stellaris where every pop is polled? Or at least early on in development when they would all decide each cycle if they were materialists/religious/xenophobic/etc.

That sounds familiar. I think Paradox eventually just gave up on fixing Stellaris and they added a system where the more pops you have in your empire the slower your pop growth is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

I was looking at Victoria 3 mods and found this in a performance optimization mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3213294110

It seems like Vicky 3 is looking at every country's flag every single tick (multiple times per in-game day) and check if it should be changed. The proper way to do it is to have an add commands to immediately update the flag after certain events (revolutions, elections, declaring independence, etc) and then have a maintenance event that runs every year or so and checks every country just in case you forget to add the flag update command somewhere.

Paradox needs to hire either more devs or more competent ones.

I was recommended this in another channel this morning and I can confirm that it speeds up the game immensely.

I would also recommend "Paper Map All The Way": https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2951575694

this makes the game use the paper map mode all the time, rather than switching to 3D terrain on closer zoom-in. Combining this with the optimization mod means I can run V3 on my basic laptop

I started a game as Joseon to try it out and it's incredible how quickly you can get sucked into it:

- the game starts with one Construction Sector in one state, so I go into it, and check the local production/consumption balance of Lumber and Fabric

- I queue up a Logging Camp and a Cotton Plantation to make sure the Construction Sector has what it needs

- and then two more levels of Logging Camps because I was consuming a lot of lumber

- the next step up from that is to get some Tools, so that the Logging Camps can move to a new production method to increase their output, so I build a Tooling Workshop

- but then, the Tooling Workshop is going to want Iron so it can move to the Wrought-Iron Tools production method, so I build an Iron Mine after the Workshop completes

- I build additional levels of Iron Mines, and then also move the Construction Sector to the Iron-Frame Buildings production method

- at this point, I look at my peasants, and see that their biggest costs are Grain, Clothes, Liquor, and Furniture

- Clothes and Furniture are easy: I build up a Textile Factory for the former, and a Furniture Factory for the latter. I also have to build up additional Cotton Plantations and Logging Camps to make sure they have enough raw materials to work with

- for Liquor, I build a Food Industries building. I actually hesitated at first because I thought I didn't have any Sugar because I couldn't find any Sugar Plantation slots in the building queue, but as it turns out Rice Plantations can produce Grain + Sugar + Fruit if you set them to the Fig Orchards production method, so I go do that

- after all this is done, I still need to address high demand for Grain... but just expanding my Rice Farms only adds +10 Grain production per level (when set to Fig Orchards). If I set them to use Soil-Enriching Farming, I can double my Grain production... but I need Fertilizers to do that

- at this point, I'm looking over my country and I find that I can mine Sulfur in the north, which I can turn into Fertilizer at a Fertilizer Factory... and woah huh 10 in-game years have gone by and I've spent most of the morning on this!

Alternatively, I could set that state's Rice Farms to produce Grain only, and then get the Sugar from another state, but I don't know if I'm going to be screwed on Market Access when I don't have any railways and my economic system is still Traditionalism. I've been building everything inside a single state precisely to avoid Market Access/infrastructure issues, but I guess I'm going to need to deal with inter-state commerce regardless of whether its Sugar from somewhere else, or Sulfur -> Fertilizers from somewhere else.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was recommended this in another channel this morning and I can confirm that it speeds up the game immensely.

I would also recommend "Paper Map All The Way": https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2951575694

this makes the game use the paper map mode all the time, rather than switching to 3D terrain on closer zoom-in. Combining this with the optimization mod means I can run V3 on my basic laptop

I started a game as Joseon to try it out and it's incredible how quickly you can get sucked into it:

- the game starts with one Construction Sector in one state, so I go into it, and check the local production/consumption balance of Lumber and Fabric

- I queue up a Logging Camp and a Cotton Plantation to make sure the Construction Sector has what it needs

- and then two more levels of Logging Camps because I was consuming a lot of lumber

- the next step up from that is to get some Tools, so that the Logging Camps can move to a new production method to increase their output, so I build a Tooling Workshop

- but then, the Tooling Workshop is going to want Iron so it can move to the Wrought-Iron Tools production method, so I build an Iron Mine after the Workshop completes

- I build additional levels of Iron Mines, and then also move the Construction Sector to the Iron-Frame Buildings production method

- at this point, I look at my peasants, and see that their biggest costs are Grain, Clothes, Liquor, and Furniture

- Clothes and Furniture are easy: I build up a Textile Factory for the former, and a Furniture Factory for the latter. I also have to build up additional Cotton Plantations and Logging Camps to make sure they have enough raw materials to work with

- for Liquor, I build a Food Industries building. I actually hesitated at first because I thought I didn't have any Sugar because I couldn't find any Sugar Plantation slots in the building queue, but as it turns out Rice Plantations can produce Grain + Sugar + Fruit if you set them to the Fig Orchards production method, so I go do that

- after all this is done, I still need to address high demand for Grain... but just expanding my Rice Farms only adds +10 Grain production per level (when set to Fig Orchards). If I set them to use Soil-Enriching Farming, I can double my Grain production... but I need Fertilizers to do that

- at this point, I'm looking over my country and I find that I can mine Sulfur in the north, which I can turn into Fertilizer at a Fertilizer Factory... and woah huh 10 in-game years have gone by and I've spent most of the morning on this!

Alternatively, I could set that state's Rice Farms to produce Grain only, and then get the Sugar from another state, but I don't know if I'm going to be screwed on Market Access when I don't have any railways and my economic system is still Traditionalism. I've been building everything inside a single state precisely to avoid Market Access/infrastructure issues, but I guess I'm going to need to deal with inter-state commerce regardless of whether its Sugar from somewhere else, or Sulfur -> Fertilizers from somewhere else.

Go juche or go home

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

iirc Joseon's in Qing's market which is how there's an endless market for consumer goods at the beginning.

It used to be funny that you would be able to fundraise endless railroads because the Qing market would also demand transportation as soon as it was available which was fulfilled by the Joseon railroads

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
lol if you delete all your ports as qing the opium wars wont fire bc britain cant demand a treaty port

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FirstnameLastname posted:

lol if you delete all your ports as qing the opium wars wont fire bc britain cant demand a treaty port
:hmmyes:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hahahahahaha

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

One Weird Trick, Victoria Hates It!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

She should build one herself if she wants one that badly.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Conquer a nearby province, build ports then gift the province to Qing.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Why does anyone use discord?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lovely as it might be, its way better than twitter and the government isn't going to join your discord server where you are cooking up dank memes.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol what game is that discord for?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

whatever this is it sounds like poo poo and you should leave

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
everyone remembers where they were the day zebras became political

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Lol I'm in a discord for a historical wargame and it's fun seeing Russian flag avis coexist with NAFO guys

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Endman posted:

That is incredible baby mistake poo poo. Are they not teaching memory management in CS classes any more?

Not really, no.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

can confirm that it works

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

Megamissen posted:

lol what game is that discord for?

It's for JTS and other grog war-games, the second one is for ARMA 3.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah the arma stuff makes sense. People get heated there. They could just be creation operations in the Belkan war.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So I just bought (and financed) a very basic but top of the line gaming laptop. I used to be big on games, but I have really fallen off in the last decade or so. What should I try?

I like EU II, The Rise & Rule of Ancient Empires, Europa 1400, Caesar III, Civ V, and King of Dragon Pass

I hate hate hate Civ VI because of how cartoonish it is. I'm one of those.

What sort of new games should I try?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Banished sounds like it's up my alley

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I was so disappointed by Civ VI that it turned me off gaming for years

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

there are the augustus / julius mods for caesar 3, one of them just refines and add quality of life features and the other one expands with features from later games but i dont remember which is which

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was so disappointed by Civ VI that it turned me off gaming for years

It sounds like u would like Old World

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Fuligin posted:

It sounds like u would like Old World

old world does let down hard when it comes to the visual design of the units, but the way it handles workers/improvements is beautiful

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

So I just bought (and financed) a very basic but top of the line gaming laptop. I used to be big on games, but I have really fallen off in the last decade or so. What should I try?

I like EU II, The Rise & Rule of Ancient Empires, Europa 1400, Caesar III, Civ V, and King of Dragon Pass

if you like caesar/pharaoh/stronghold/etc. check out against the storm

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Banished sounds like it's up my alley

I've been hearing good things about Manor Lord as the new Banished replacement, but it's not out for a couple weeks so it could just be good marketing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

you'll want EU4, and Imperator: Rome, and The Old World, and Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic, and Suzerain, and Against the Storm

I would also recommend High Strategy: Oradros, Nebuchadnezzar, Ozymandias, Endless Legend, Frostpunk, and Warsim: The Realm of Aslona,

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Play Field of Glory: Empires.

Also seconding Against the Storm and Old World.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thank you all so much for the suggestions!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay I felt bad about just dropping titles sight unseen, so here's some descriptions:

Europa Universalis 4 - you said liked EU 2, so you'll probably like the twice-over sequel.

Imperator: Rome - EU for the ancient era

The Old World - what if Civilization was focused entirely on the ancient era? by the designer of Civilization 4

Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic - a city-builder that requires you to engage with the labor theory of value, and tackles modern supply chains with realism while keeping things eminently playable. This game will kill the neoliberal in your brain, if you let it.

Suzerain - it's something of a CYOA-type game about managing a newborn republic during the Cold War

Against the Storm - what if you only played the first 20 minutes of a city-builder, where your labor force is precariously small and your supply chains are not yet secure, over and over, forever?

High Strategy: Oradros - a simplified version of the Europa Universalis formula, boiled-down to its brass tracks, in a fantasy universe wrapper.

Nebuchadnezzar - what if Impressions Games made one more city-builder, and set it in ancient Babylon?

Ozymandias - what if someone made The Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires, but updated it for modern sensibilities?

Endless Legend - a fantasy-universe Civilization V

Frostpunk - a city-builder with a central conceit of having the prospect of freezing to death is held over your settlement's head like a Sword of Damocles

Warsim: The Realm of Aslona - a grand strategy empire-building game, played entirely through a text adventure interface

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'd call Workers & Resources more of a nation-builder than strictly a city-builder. It's more like...good Tropico, maybe?

Also recommend Pharaoh: A New Era, which is the modern remaster of the game with QoL improvements.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I won't actually get my paws on the new computer till next Monday so I've got a lot of time to do research

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I may have mentioned it before, but I'm really really enjoying Highfleet. The game is essentially a Harpoon style 1960s era warship simulator masquerading as a diesel-punk bullet hell lunar lander game. You build/pick-out a small fleet of airships and then must run a naval guerrilla warfare campaign with the ultimate goal of seizing your enemies capital. Any degree of success demands learning the games rudimentary but faithful electronic and signals intelligence systems, as well as getting good at the lunar lander style close in combat minigame. Once you get over the learning curve the game is super fun, the AI is solid and will challenge you. The game doesn't hold your hand, and there is no one way to play. I really enjoy coming up with a fleet and doctrine, then actually trying to play through the game to see if it works. The bulk of the game is fought and won on the strategic layer, but you need to be able to win the tactical battles as well.

An example to some basic trig to calculate cruise missile trajectory to an enemy strike group. I sent a supersonic fighter to scout them, plotted their course, then plotted an intercept point and fired off some missiles. We traded missiles, I stripped their aircraft carrier of planes with a wave of fighters armed with AAMs, then moved in with a heavy cruiser to finish them at close range while they limped back to base to repair. They didn't go down easy, they fought well to the end, making me sweat the whole time. They managed to take out a key fuel tanker of mine with a cruise missile, which really hurt.

The finally moment of the above mentioned strike group, the explosion at the center is their heavy cruiser in the initial stage of a magazine detonation.

Ships at dock undergoing massive refits.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Genuinely fun game to play, would second it.

The first thing you should do with your enormous murderboat of doom that is your flagship is to realize it's an insane fuel guzzler that is a giant target that you're terrified of bringing into actual combat, and dismantle excess parts of it to use elsewhere. :v:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Warsim: The Realm of Aslona - a grand strategy empire-building game, played entirely through a text adventure interface

Well that's a game I haven't heard of since forever. Is it still being actively developed, or did it reach a stable state?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

quote:

Suzerain - it's something of a CYOA-type game about managing a newborn republic during the Cold War
to be more specific: it's about 1990s Turkey, with some elements borrowed from late-PRI era Mexico.

You basically play as Erdogen when he was first elected

new DLC came out where you play as the king of Not-1960s Iran

Typo has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Highfleet is the best Dune game.

Although Spice Wars is actually really good now and i have fond childhood memories of Emperor