Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

the EIC was the first private sector gig you got for sweet sweet cash.

then you could go on half pay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
More like "you could live like an oriental prince on southern english estates like some noveau riche prick the old money hated"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Man I need to actually play John Company 2e sometime

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is anyone familiar with Caesar IV? apparently it came out in 2016 and looks to be full 3D. I know nothing about it - it was a weird year and I don't think I was keeping up with gaming all that much.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://youtu.be/OSvbtPQeQYg

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You're off by a decade. Caesar IV came out in 2006

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

gradenko_2000 posted:

is anyone familiar with Caesar IV? apparently it came out in 2016 and looks to be full 3D. I know nothing about it - it was a weird year and I don't think I was keeping up with gaming all that much.

2006 I think.

It abandons the agent system in favor of services having a range. Said range is based on distance by road, rather than a pure area of effect. It also abandons a full social mobility in favor of having a tiered society of Plebeians, Equites, and Patricians that can each improve their homes within their class, but not leave it. There were some jobs which requires Equites and couldn't be done by Plebeians. Trade was different, and it was possible to earn a hefty profit as a luxury middleman on the right map.

I liked it, but it had a number of issues, including instability, that resulted in me eventually giving up on it. You won't regret trying it out, but don't expect it to rank too highly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZiFcVTXSNo

another game that should be on this thread's radar is Manor Lords, which is hitting Early Access on April 26th and published by Hooded Horse (of Terra Invicta, Against the Storm, and Workers & Resources fame).

it's a city-builder set in Central Europe during the Middle Ages, with an emphasis on realistic depictions of life during that time

hard to capture in screenshots (which is why I linked someone playing through the game), but it models having an ox to haul lumber and stone in a cart to a construction site, and the house actually getting built like in those survivalist TikToks where they put up a wooden cottage from scratch

I was initially turned off by the later phases of the game seamlessly transition into an RTS where your villagers finally get enough of a material base to manufacture weapons and you get to fight bandits and other lords for control of the map (not really my thing), but apparently there's a chill setting where you can turn that off and just focus on the bucolic village-building

for me the appeal is that it feels a lot like what I wish I got from the Primitive Technology guy where what if there was a lot of him and they started using the ability to build thatched huts into a whole-rear end society

my dad posted:

2006 I think.

It abandons the agent system in favor of services having a range. Said range is based on distance by road, rather than a pure area of effect. It also abandons a full social mobility in favor of having a tiered society of Plebeians, Equites, and Patricians that can each improve their homes within their class, but not leave it. There were some jobs which requires Equites and couldn't be done by Plebeians. Trade was different, and it was possible to earn a hefty profit as a luxury middleman on the right map.

I liked it, but it had a number of issues, including instability, that resulted in me eventually giving up on it. You won't regret trying it out, but don't expect it to rank too highly.

thank you, it was on sale so I was curious

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
my brain can still play the triumphant Caesar III music when your city hits 7000+ population on command

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfJMWRHrixQ

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i crave updates on the Flashpoint Southern Campaigns staff'd game

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Update on my Wallachia game. It's now 1909 and I may be calling it here. I'm feeling rather locked in due to a combination of factors. I'm still the junior in a personal union with Moldava. This means I can't launch most diplomatic plays and I can't change my government type way from Monarchy. Declaring independence is also difficult because Moldava is somehow allied with Russia and Russia always backs them in that diplomatic play. I may be able to win if I can get 100 barracks with 100 conscription centers and wait for Russia to be distracted with another war or a revolution. I'm not sure I feel like doing that though, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Previously I tried the slave trade to boost my population, this has not been hugely successful. I went from 119k slaves in 1876 to 178k in 1909, a decent but not great increase. I managed to get open borders after that and that boosted my population massively as it always does. I have 750k Finns in my country and meanwhile Finland itself has only 2.1M. I was hoping to get a ton of slaves and then be bogged down by being unable to mechanize my agriculture since slaves can't become machinists. Instead they were just largely irrelevant. I'm not sure if the results would be different if I had some sort of different trading or colony setup. I did wind up freeing them in the end, finally fulfilling my "Free the Slaves" that I had since the beginning of the game due to picking "Egalitarian Society" as my goal.

I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to the rest of the world. Fredrick of Hannover is king of the UK and they've become an atheist state. Germany is still not united. Great Qing hasn't fallen apart or reformed, they have the number 3 economy in the world but are still unrecognized.

I would not currently recommend Wallachia if you want to do anything other than build stuff in one province. I did get to refamiliarize myself with Vicky 3. Maybe wait until the next patch and see if that guy updates his Romanian mod. Maybe somebody who's better at the diplomacy/war part of Vicky 3 might do better than me.

Edit: Vicky 3 has different unit types now, I'm not sure this is a good idea. There's infantry, artillery, and cavalry. Infantry especially seems weird to me because they upgrade in the following order irregular infantry --> line infantry --> skirmish infantry --> trench infantry --> squad infantry --> mechanized infantry. The early part seems weird to me.
Artillery goes as follows Cannon Artillery --> Mobile Artillery --> Shrapnel Artillery --> Siege Artillery (???) --> Heavy Tanks. Cavalry goes similarly and ends with light tanks.

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 05:11 on Apr 21, 2024

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Fuligin posted:

i crave updates on the Flashpoint Southern Campaigns staff'd game

Me too! Alas every time it's a turn, the side receives a report, has two days to submit their orders, then the umpire takes a few days to do the next turn. This isn't too bad overall, but NATO has more turns. Usually they get two turns for each one of ours. Right now the time lined up so that they get a third, starting about one in-game minute before ours.

What I can say so far is that:
-I ordered a smoke barrage to cover Tatiana from Hohenhausling
-Division recon finally got told off by chief of operations
-It turned out that our helicopter squadrons are splittable into smaller flights, so we sent a team of Mi-2 and Mi-24 to both flanks.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 12:55 on Apr 21, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Me too! Alas every time it's a turn, the side receives a report, has two days to submit their orders, then the umpire takes a few days to do the next turn. This isn't too bad overall, but NATO has more turns. Usually they get two turns for each one of ours. Right now the time lined up so that they get a third, starting about one in-game minute before ours.

What I can say so far is that:
-I ordered a smoke barrage to cover Tatiana from Hohenhausling
-Division recon finally got told off by chief of operations
-It turned out that our helicopter squadrons are splittable into smaller flights, so we sent a team of Mi-2 and Mi-24 to both flanks.

I know you've already pointed this out, but the longer command time in Warsaw Pact makes having the recce unit loving around even less acceptable, since their job is to gather information in advance for the combat formations to plan around - without having to make snap decisions or reactions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

I would not currently recommend Wallachia if you want to do anything other than build stuff in one province.

It does tend to be the case that you want a country with at least two provinces, because there are a number of industries that can switch from producing (or specializing in) one product over another, and switching to the second product comes at the expense of the first so much that it's better to have Lumber in one state, and then Hardwood in another. Regular clothes in one state, then Luxury clothes in another, and so on.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

It does tend to be the case that you want a country with at least two provinces, because there are a number of industries that can switch from producing (or specializing in) one product over another, and switching to the second product comes at the expense of the first so much that it's better to have Lumber in one state, and then Hardwood in another. Regular clothes in one state, then Luxury clothes in another, and so on.

Balancing production methods is my single least favorite part of Vicky 3. The lumber mills should just balance their production automatically. I should only have to make important decisions, like maybe setting priority for which industries get electrified first.

It might be hypocritical but I do like building up factories and industries and such but I don't like fiddling with the production methods. I think the difference is that in one scenario I'm deciding where the productive forces of the country are going into and in the other I'm fiddling with exact mixes of normal clothing vs luxury clothing. Just let the free market or Gosplan figure that exact ratio out.

Edit: Another big difference is that I have a big list of buildings and how profitable they all are, so it's very easy to take a look and say "Oh, I probably need more of this kind of factory".

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It sounds like the RTS elements in Manor Lords will be pretty light so im not too worried about that part of the game. Just following the dev along he's had medievalist/survivalist types critiquing his game for a few years. He redid his charcoal production chain because those meganerds pointed out there were inaccuracies in how he portrayed it. Game looks amazing.

For a strategy game publisher, Hooded Horse has been supporting hit after hit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BearsBearsBears posted:

Balancing production methods is my single least favorite part of Vicky 3. The lumber mills should just balance their production automatically. I should only have to make important decisions, like maybe setting priority for which industries get electrified first.

It might be hypocritical but I do like building up factories and industries and such but I don't like fiddling with the production methods. I think the difference is that in one scenario I'm deciding where the productive forces of the country are going into and in the other I'm fiddling with exact mixes of normal clothing vs luxury clothing. Just let the free market or Gosplan figure that exact ratio out.

yeah the thing about switching production methods is that it's usually going to spike the consumption of a particular good and you can't always trust Market Forces to normalize the production without damaging your economy first, so what ends up happening is that you have to look up how much more consumption of the new good you'll have once you switch, and then pre-build a bunch of additional industries to make sure you have enough capacity, and then subsidize production so that the industry is already producing that much even before there's demand for it, and THEN you make the switch, but it can be really fiddly to do.

Dreylad posted:

Hooded Horse is the Paradox of the 2020s

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah the thing about switching production methods is that it's usually going to spike the consumption of a particular good and you can't always trust Market Forces to normalize the production without damaging your economy first

they don't make it very obvious but u can subsidize unprofitable trade routes for material input & they'll grow to fill demand even if it's at a loss, so if it exists at all on the market you can get it for a cost

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hooded Horse is the Paradox of the 2020s

Paradox passed on publishing an unnamed grand strategy game a few years back and there's a often-repeated rumour it was Terra Invicta. It was dumb of them to give it up but holy hell I'm glad they did. It would have launched last spring, every major update would be followed a week later by a heartfelt apology, and by now they'd be selling undercooked new 'features' and advisor skins as DLC

the DLC for Workers and Resources that adds tunnels

the DLC for Manor Lords that adds trade caravans

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Dreylad posted:

I’ll be interested in what they’re like when they have to start building their own stable and commissioning new titles. For the most part HH hasn’t been doing that, they’ve been picking stuff that was in-dev as an indie for years. That well will eventually run dry.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Speaking of Paradox, didnt they just delist like the first DLC for Cities Skylines 2 because that game is still insanely broken?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
it's wild to me that SimCity 4, which is over 20 years old, is so broken because of oversights in the traffic simulation that it needs mods to be playable, and barely even works on modern systems anymore, is to this day still the gold standard for that subgenre of modern city-builders, with nothing made since ever quite able to top it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

Speaking of Paradox, didnt they just delist like the first DLC for Cities Skylines 2 because that game is still insanely broken?

Yes. And it broke even more poo poo for the people who already had it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. And it broke even more poo poo for the people who already had it.

Lol. You've got ro be kidding me. Man how did they drop the ball so hard from Cities Skylines 1

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

JonBolds posted:

I’ll be interested in what they’re like when they have to start building their own stable and commissioning new titles. For the most part HH hasn’t been doing that, they’ve been picking stuff that was in-dev as an indie for years. That well will eventually run dry.

If they want to give the Against The Storm Devs or Mohawk Games money to make more games I'm cool with that personally.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Power Plant as Representative of Victoria 3's Developmentalism

In Victoria 3, the base model of the Power Plant is the Hydroelectric Plant. It generates 50 Electricity, consumes 10 Engines, and requires 5,500 workers to run, per level.

Once you learn Turbines later in the game, you can upgrade to a Coal-Fired Plant, which doubles the Electricity output and reduces the labor requirement, but at the cost of consuming 30 Coal per level. Later still, you can upgrade to an Oil-Fired Plant, which increases the Electricity production by half again, but shifts the cost to 40 Oil.

From the perspective of the player, there really isn't that much of an incentive to move to fossil fuels. By the time you learn Turbines, you've likely spent so much time using Hydroelectric power that you've fulfilled your needs with it, to the point where you might have multiple levels of Power Plants, and shifting to Coal in one go may spike your Coal needs significantly. You could build more levels of Coal Mines to ready yourself for the additional consumption, but if you were going to spend the construction effort anyway, you could also build more Power Plants directly.

As well, burning coal is going to increase pollution, which Victoria 3 does model as a penalty that you might care about enough to want to minimize - but hydroelectrics have no such issues.

Andreas Malm's "Fossil Capital" talks about this choice between water power and coal power as a critical point of divergence during the 19th century (though, to be clear, Malm refers to water mills as a source of direct mechanical power, not necessarily for the generation of electricity).

To paraphrase the argument, fossil fuel won out because capitalists could move coal-fired engines to urban centers where labor was cheap and freely-available, whereas hydro power would tie owners to certain spots of land; because coal-fired engines could be concentrated at will, whereas hydro power would have to be divided between everyone in the region; and because coal itself was a material asset that could be stored and moved.

None of these really apply to Victoria: both factories and power plants do not and cannot move across states, and every state has to provide itself with its own power. While the player is incentivized to place their industries in high-population states to ensure the availability of a workplace (among other factors), that decision is made essentially in 1836 just as the game starts, with no regard to power generation per se, and the urban-rural divide is one that the player creates themselves, as part of their industrialization, rather than as something that's considered prior to the establishment of industries (and especially since it's not significant at an intra-state level).

To step back from electricity specifically, there are certain production methods that imply the use of engines and use of coal, such as a Tooling Workshop that moves from Hand Assembly to a Water-Tube Boiler, but in this case, the choice is removed from the player altogether: there is no equivalent to the water mill, it's fossil fuels or complete manual work. And yet, even then, it's not even a given that automation the better choice: since that category of production method only ever reduces the amount of laborers required to fill an factory's employment, there are certain cases where it would not be particularly appealing to use higher forms of automation, such as where a nation has lots of population to spare, and the industry is not so far down the value chain that simply throwing more labor at it (via more levels of factory) is a viable option.

What seems to be missing is the ability of the capitalist to be able to override the player: a Furniture Manufactory that only requires 3,000 workers instead of 4,500 would be preferable to the capitalist if it translates into a bigger dividend for the capitalist - which the game already manages to model, but even if the factory is owned by capitalists (or aristocrats, etc.), there's no mechanism by which they get to set Water-Tube Boiler as the production method for the simple goal of profit-chasing.

In effect, the role that the player occupies in the economy is placed at such a high-and-mighty level that it manages to address Malm's other concern later in the book: that maximal development of a nation's economy depends upon the ability to access large amounts of cheap labor, to build sufficient infrastructure to ensure the smooth transit of materials and goods, and to build sufficient power generation as to ensure that manufactories can run at full clip.

All of these concerns exist in Victoria, but the player does not appear to be sufficiently restrained in their ability to accomplish them, for reasons that have historically hobbled nations that have tried.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

where's this from? I'm not sure Malm is the most apt point of reference here but the overall point about game design is right

there are all kinds of problems with the way Vicky 3 models industrial development and power generation in particular. it would fit much more naturally as an infrastructural system like the railways, for one. taking your hands off the economy should not result in your capitalists building infinite hydro power plants like they're just another factory. ironically railroads worked more like that IRL

it's why I only have 15 hours in that game. a lot of historical/technological trends being made to fit a simplistic production/trade model in non-intuitive ways, resulting in totally implausible game states a decade or two in

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cassian of Imola posted:

where's this from?

I wrote it myself

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Oh yeah, show us your post research notes and literature list...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cassian of Imola posted:

where's this from? I'm not sure Malm is the most apt point of reference here but the overall point about game design is right

there are all kinds of problems with the way Vicky 3 models industrial development and power generation in particular. it would fit much more naturally as an infrastructural system like the railways, for one. taking your hands off the economy should not result in your capitalists building infinite hydro power plants like they're just another factory. ironically railroads worked more like that IRL

it's why I only have 15 hours in that game. a lot of historical/technological trends being made to fit a simplistic production/trade model in non-intuitive ways, resulting in totally implausible game states a decade or two in
The thing you're describing here is a problem because it doesn't exist in Victoria 3. As in electrical infrastructure, as in power lines.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

The thing you're describing here is a problem because it doesn't exist in Victoria 3. As in electrical infrastructure, as in power lines.

good point, I didn't think of that, but street lighting and rail electrification existed late in the time period, as did local DC distribution over a primitive 'grid'. either way, imo power generation should not really exist as a separate kind of production earlier than the 1880s; it's similar to other kinds of technological developments that made mines and factories more efficient and less dangerous, replacing animal labour. before the 1880s, power generation would make more sense as a more abstract production bonus with an initial resource cost and ongoing fuel consumption, to avoid nonsense like capitalists overbuilding power plants to sell 'electricity' like it's a physical commodity

Cassian of Imola has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Apr 24, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's my pet peeve with Victoria 3, infrastructure and movement of commodities is way too abstract. Some lumber on one side of the continent isn't the same as some lumber on the other side of the continent even if they exist within the same economic system.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Nah they're all on the same market so everything will just get to where it needs to go bingbong so simple.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is absolutely one of those complaints that's basically accurate but also way worse in vic 2 so I'll give it a pass

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Orange Devil posted:

Nah they're all on the same market so everything will just get to where it needs to go bingbong so simple.

To be honest, considering capitalist production still hasn't recovered from when Chinese factories shut down for three months in loving 2019, I think this accurately models how the member of the ruling class thinks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This is why I hate video games, they appeal to the male fantasy

[Me in a cockpit enforcing a no fly zone over Southern Israel]

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Lostconfused posted:

That's my pet peeve with Victoria 3, infrastructure and movement of commodities is way too abstract. Some lumber on one side of the continent isn't the same as some lumber on the other side of the continent even if they exist within the same economic system.

That was partially fixed. There are now Local Prices even with 100% market access. Lumber will be cheaper where it's produced compared to states where it isn't produced.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Oh yeah, show us your post research notes and literature list...

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

skooma512 posted:

This is why I hate video games, they appeal to the male fantasy

[Me in a cockpit enforcing a no fly zone over Southern Israel]

Now there's a scenario that might make me pick up DCS again and play with goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lmao