Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Makes me nostalgic for my childhood. I had 4 and played Battle of Mers-el-Kebir scenario for like a month on repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

guidoanselmi posted:

Makes me nostalgic for my childhood. I had 4 and played Battle of Mers-el-Kebir scenario for like a month on repeat

I just wish someone would go through and fix up the UI of these old games because the level of detail, research and simulation is genuinely impressive, I just hate playing them. Same goes for Norm Kroger’s games. I feel like I’m fighting against the UI to play Jutland Pro, JTS Naval Campaigns Jutland or Steam and Iron: The Great War at Sea. I’ve been using cardboard - Avalanche’s Jutland - to visualize problems when I read through The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command, because any of the other choices make actually following what’s going on more difficult even though that can simulate way more than a board game.

It’s frustrating. Computer games should be the better way to represent the problems at Jutland, they model every shell, the weather, space and time, in ways that boardgames can’t, but I can read and solve the problems on the board much more easily.

Steam and Iron:

JTS Jutland:

Jutland Pro:

Avalanche’s Jutland:

Plus there’s a Battle Analysis Book, which is exactly what I need.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

For me some of the larger scenarios are just too much. I’m not a Air Ops O or SWO so trying to even come up with a plan, let alone manage it, is a lot of work, and I lose control in larger scenarios quite a bit. There are some community scenarios that are more my speed, a couple ships, a handful of aircraft, that sort of thing. I often use the scenario editor to copy scenarios and then substitute units, 1:1 or doctrinally appropriate if possible, both for variety and so that I can use nations and systems I’m trying to get proficient with.
it's somewhat of an absurd game to play because of the complexity and attempt to approximate the subject matter, as anyone here playing it would be the equivalent of giving children the keys to the ICBMs. i suppose that's the fun of it, but it's also not really "realistic" if that's what the designers were going for.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's somewhat of an absurd game to play because of the complexity and attempt to approximate the subject matter, as anyone here playing it would be the equivalent of giving children the keys to the ICBMs. i suppose that's the fun of it, but it's also not really "realistic" if that's what the designers were going for.

I agree. Some of the Desert Storm scenarios in particular, I have no idea how I’m supposed to learn how to use U-2s, B-52s, USAF and USN AWACS, Rivet Joint, tankers and whatever else, all at once, without being introduced to using any one of those properly.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i also imagine that the "professional edition" is where the studio makes most of their money anyways. their website lists the four U.S. service branches as customers, military research labs, lockheed and boeing; and the luftwaffe, the royal navy and the australian military. the civilian version is just a bonus

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Also lol at Twilight Struggle being a thing people can be eased into.

ive had good luck getting people into it. i think the lack of grog combat and it being popular enough made people no longer fear it like you just whipped out a dozen advanced squad leader binders

anyway pourin out half a ton of melted plastic minis for eagle games

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i also imagine that the "professional edition" is where the studio makes most of their money anyways. their website lists the four U.S. service branches as customers, military research labs, lockheed and boeing; and the luftwaffe, the royal navy and the australian military. the civilian version is just a bonus

I wonder how much business Bohemia Interactive got for their professional OpFlash/ArmA variant. Dunno if it was split off from them or ended entirely.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I have a lot of fun making commie nations in HOI4. it was sad watching that video where Matt christman watched a dude poorly play hearts of iron 4 kaiserreich, but also pretty indicative. AAAAAA I HATE LOOKING AT THESE MINUTE POLITICAL DECISIONS THIS ISNT FUN. I mean, goddamn. HOI4 isn’t the guideline to the left but that sentiment right there.

I suppose Matt can be forgiven for not seeing that kind of thing as a game and wondering “when does Mario get the mushroom” which games like this this don’t give you.

but, the person playing the game sucked at it. so many of us could do better. we’d just have to edit the boring parts. the dream lives in this video game.

edit: three unedited hours of failure.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQgLMNiiIRs

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

1stGear posted:

Unity of Command is a good starting point. Enough is abstracted that's its arguably more of a puzzle game than a wargame but it's still a good entry to the genre and thinking about concepts like supply and planning offensives.

Panzer Corps or its sequel are also good. Much more about mashing your mans into the other mans and maintaining your troops over the duration of a campaign. Panzer Corps 2 is more of the same but prettier and a little smoother.

Danann posted:

There's Unity of Command which is relatively more approachable but more puzzle-like (and bit of an RNG fest if you're going for best victory) compared to others in the grog game category.

Rule the Waves 3 is coming to steam and should be playable on super potato computers. But it requires some knowledge of naval history and technology in order to get super high prestige. You could probably muddle through without said naval history knowledge.

It's worth emphasising that while Unity of Command 1 and 2 use mostly the same basic mechanics, they are very different beasts: UoC2 is closer to a traditional wargame, and you need to shepherd and keep your forces alive across a campaign, and honestly UoC2 is also a lot more difficult: I think the game was very much made for veterans of UoC1 in mind.

While 1 would be a good choice for a beginners light wargame, to succeed in 2 you really need to read and re-read the manual and fully understand the intricacies of the combat model.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
topical

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=892672860

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

January 6 Survivor posted:

Do you guys have some suggestions on wargames that are a) playable on potato computers, b) not ridiculously complex and c) seriously, not ridiculously complex, I've never played a strategy game more complicated than Advance Wars before? Actually that reminds me, if it's turn based, all the better.

Battle Academy isn't really that intensive but really fun. You've got an eastern and western campaign.

Warhammer Armageddon is a fantastic game that can probably run on a PC from 1998

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

Created the Union of Planetary Soviets in Stellaris and was immediately set upon by extremely belligerent, bipedal newts who would only briefly stop genociding each other to demand tribute from and raid their neighbors.

oh poo poo, you found the aliens that the british royal family descend from?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cerebral Bore posted:

oh poo poo, you found the aliens that the british royal family descend from?

Evidently. And once my fleet was of adequate size, well, let's just say they... never got better. :smug:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

can the mods rename this thread to games only guys who haven't seen their penis in years play

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

AnimeIsTrash posted:

can the mods rename this thread to games only guys who haven't seen their penis in years play

I believe the word is “Grumblers”.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
God why isn't the big map for WH3 out yet?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone ever play the Crisis in the Kremlin remake or its followups from Kremlingames? The translation of earlier stuff is rough, although I was never able to really get into the later ones either. I bring them up because the sort of 'choose your own adventure' political system they center around seem to be what all the big alternate history mods for HOI4 try to force that game to do.

Also in the game about the collapse of the Eastern bloc there is an achievement for making Albania into an Iranian style religious government.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

nice selfquote homo

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

be kind in this thread, many of us haven't seen our penises in years

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

Anyone ever play the Crisis in the Kremlin remake or its followups from Kremlingames? The translation of earlier stuff is rough, although I was never able to really get into the later ones either. I bring them up because the sort of 'choose your own adventure' political system they center around seem to be what all the big alternate history mods for HOI4 try to force that game to do.

Also in the game about the collapse of the Eastern bloc there is an achievement for making Albania into an Iranian style religious government.

I remember playing the first Tom Clancy game, Politika, Crisis in the Kremlin - but it was Russia-only and boring.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I have rock hard abs and stare at my penis all day, and I play war games, and I Vote

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i masturbate to my Maps

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There is no greater pleasure than encircling a German army with a strong pocket.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
What about an entire German Army Group?

*smiles in Bagration*

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

it's pretty satisfying to watch everything click together in dyson sphere program

just ignore the bottlenecks and power shortages when it's nighttime :v:

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
Into the Breach got a new patch, added a bunch of new creatures, missions, mechs. Very much a a puzzle-tactics game more than a wargame but extremely well designed and worth a look if you haven't checked it out yet.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Into The Breach is really good, but very hard and RNG plays a big role in whether or not you'll have a good run or you'll just get horsefucked.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Norm Koger might make great games, but drat if this isn’t the most 90’s wargamer poo poo

Obviously the pack name, but also using his own launcher instead of Steam, not offering his games on GOG, the UI, and the pricing.

Thank God Slitherine and Mircroprose are saving these guys from themselves.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Norm Koger might make great games, but drat if this isn’t the most 90’s wargamer poo poo

IIRC that company was sold to Russian mafiosi and the games aren't playable anymore

I've heard good things about Steam and Iron / Rule the Waves but I cannot stand not simply being able to buy the game direct from Steam

John Tiller is probably the most approachable version of the naval games, but the damage modeling is a little too basic and the fleet orders get broken up as soon as you issue orders to anyone but the lead ship. Maybe the later patches under Wargame DS have improved it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RTW 3 is coming to Steam this fall. Christopher Dean died around the same time as John Tiller. I’m pretty sure I heard both died of covid but I don’t remember where. Once the estate was settled Bill Miller got permission to work with Slitherine or Microprose, I forget, on a steam release.

Combat Mission is on Steam now too. Strange times.

e: Thoughts on Victoria at Sea Pacific vs War on the Sea? I’d use the realism megamods for either, I’m just unsure about which to pick.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Jul 28, 2022

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

would be a shame if the series peaked as early as A Distant Plain, but ADP is really good IMO

I really like how much ADP and Fire in the Lake rhyme, can't wait for that new expansion.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Twilight Struggle rocks (despite being a little lib brained), it's an excellent intro to modern wargaming

I love Twilight Struggle, but its incredibly lib brained, hell the whole thesis of the game is lib brained.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I know you guys are posting serious (and awesome) wargames, but dies anybody mind if I discuss something more arcade-y?

There's a crazy guy in Spain who has taken the best elements of all the Panzer General family and made it into an open source game and game development suite.

It's called Open General

Obviously it's meh on the realism department, but I find it super fun. It's my go-to "play mindlessly to get the thinking going" game.

It is pretty, doesn't hog your CPU and it has the best elements of all PG! (Leaders, abilities, AA intercept, construction of battlefield elements....)

Oh and nazis on the moon

It has a ton of campaigns and equipment files already, from antique warfare to cold war equipment. You can probably find your fancy.

It has a strong community of campaign developers and documentstion, and the map and campaign editor seems straightforwars to me.

This means, of course, that there are some campaigna that are repeated 3/4 times because of disagreements ("NO, DOUG WHITEMAN, I TELL YOU THAT THE RANGED DEFENCE OF GERMAN PARATROOPERS IN 1943 HAD TO BE 6, NOT 7!!!1!!!1!).

It also means that a ton of peepz with heightened cases of, euh.... love for the motherland, have created itty bitty,but interest campaigns. ("Mmmh.... yes. Yes! The world needs to know about the Estonian* independence struggle**, 1917-1949!!!!!1!")

I find it has two disadvantages. One, it runs only in windows. And two, I once seeked out the community to play some chill PvP and the only answer I got was from a person who only wanted to play their jumbo, extremely specific scenario with an entire page of houserules. A labour of love, no doubt, but I found it overwhelming.
Which is a way of saying, if anyone is up for some slow, chill PBEM, I'm happy to oblige.

Hope someone enjoys it!

* No offence to Estonia, a place I love

** substitute for Czech anabasis/Dutch colonizers end up conquering africa/Spain winning against the US/Ethiopia or China becoming XIX century hegemons/nazis on the moon... all of those are crazy campaigns that exist

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The date is August 9, 1862. George McClellan's campaign to attack Richmond through the Virginia Peninsula has failed. Although the Army of the Potomac remains intact, having successfully defended itself at Malvern Hill a month prior, 'Little Mac' has decided to abandon the effort, and his troops are slowly boarding transports to sail back north.

The Army of Virginia (not to be confused with the Confederate's Army of Northern Virginia, now officially under Robert E. Lee) has been handed over to Major General John Pope, in the hopes that he might have a little less of McClellan's timidity. Pope would eventually be too aggressive, to a fault, but that's a tale, and a battle, for another day.

Today, we are looking at Cedar Mountain:

You are looking at the 1st and 2nd Division of the 2nd Corps of the Army of Virginia. The corps is lead by Maj Gen Nathaniel P Banks, and represents the vanguard of Pope's army, as it waits to merge with the Army of the Potomac.

Somewhere in the wilderness beyond are the forces of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson, and we are going to find him.

[I am playing with Fog-of-War off, which will ruin the surprise somewhat, but I've found it's easier to deliver a narrative when you see the whole battlefield, even if it's also a gigantic advantage]

The 2d Brigade of the 2d Division goes first, forming into column and moving down the Culpeper Road.

1st Bde (green) and 3d Bde (yellow) of the 2d Div follow suit.

Going over to the 1st Division, which only has two brigades, they start moving towards Culpeper Road as well.

As of this screenshot I've turned on the "brigade colors" option, which puts that small colored stripe on the left-hand side of the unit icon. It's important to keep your brigades together, because there's a penalty if brigades from different divisions are stacked together.

We also have three cavalry regiments to the north, and one to the south, and we're going to be sending them around the flanks to probe for the enemy. We technically don't need to do this because again, fog-of-war is off, but I'm comitting to the bit.

___

What is our plan?

There's just the one objective hex on this map - I'm thinking we can take it, and hold a line there. It's going to be dangling all the way out by itself, but the cornfield will provide a little cover for half a brigade, and since our rifle muskets have a range of four hexes, we can have troops on the ridge/slope of Culpeper Road while still being able to support the lead brigade.

Ditto for our batteries, which will be able to rain down hell on anyone trying to move on the Gate.

I have no idea if this will work, but I am working off the principle of taking good ground where we can, while leveraging the objective hex to force the enemy to come to us, when our artillery has good fields of fire.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Speaking of the civil war, UG: Civil war is really nice and fun even though the campaign aspect of it is severely barebones.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

Speaking of the civil war, UG: Civil war is really nice and fun even though the campaign aspect of it is severely barebones.

The scenarios are quite good. I played the Battle of Fair Oaks last week and it was very authentic. Like being in a Jeff Shaara novel.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Are you going to deploy troops on the road itself or use it as a way of shuttling troops to and from the frontline. If units can fight without too many penalty in the forest hexes you could set the wheat field as a killing ground with massed musket fire.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

Are you going to deploy troops on the road itself or use it as a way of shuttling troops to and from the frontline. If units can fight without too many penalty in the forest hexes you could set the wheat field as a killing ground with massed musket fire.

the forest is actually excellent cover, so being IN a forest while you get to shoot out is great, but it's complete crap for movement and visibility. I don't want to just march into the forest directly, so we're proceeding along the road since it's much faster, then spreading out to deploy once we make contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Massed battery on the hill next to where the roads converge seems like a no brainer for artillery but that might just be the total war brain in me talking. It took me a long time to parcel out my artillery into multiple units in UG:CW and use explosive/canister shot.