Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Humankind is kinda fun. There's a lot more emphasis on picking the right spot and having more things to do in the first 50 turns, aka the best part of any 4X. The culture mechanic does seem weird when you think about it, but I appreciated it they added some more obscure ones. I got it from Gamepass so w/e.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wargame red dragon is p fun, the 2nd korean war campaign is hilarious

I was doing an encounter in the South near Pusan and they sent a helicopter army after my formation that was mostly anti-air :getin:

Absolute slaughter lol. All those high value units just getting melted.

I ended up losing that campaign by one turn because I couldn't break out after doing Inchon 2.

Frosted Flake posted:

I agree. Some of the Desert Storm scenarios in particular, I have no idea how I’m supposed to learn how to use U-2s, B-52s, USAF and USN AWACS, Rivet Joint, tankers and whatever else, all at once, without being introduced to using any one of those properly.

:same: I avoid big scenarios in CMO for just this reason. I can't manage an entire invasion at once.

But even in the smaller scenarios it can be tough, like the submarine ones. This is something I can get down with all day in Janes 688i, Dangerous Water, or Cold Waters, but when I need this one particular unit to perform at a high level it all breaks down because I can't manage the minute to minute for them and so they're inevitably going to be detected pretty much no matter what I do. There's a mission to approach Iran and fire missiles, but even the modest ASW fleet between me and there is more or less no go no matter how deep and slow I run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

wrong thread

Bro Dad has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Jul 29, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bro Dad posted:

wrong thread

Man, I should finally get that game.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
came across a recommended video because youtube knows i like rising storm 2: vietnam and...

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Jul 29, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 2

[turns are 20 minutes long in John Tiller's Civil War Battles series, so the time is now 20 minutes past high noon]

As the 102d New York crests the ridge over Culpeper Road, they spot four rebel regiments in the distance.

The rest of the 2d Bde of Charles Augur's 2d Division rush down to take the Gate objective hex. Only the 102d (you can't see them, but they're under the flag) has enough movement to be able to form into Line formation, with the rest still in column as they march into the cornfields.

And then the divisional artillery, 30 guns in all split into batteries of six each, move to take overwatch positions along the side of the road.

Here's a shot of the map if you select one of the batteries and turn on "Visible Hexes" mode, which shades all other hexes that cannot be seen from the unit's current position. As you can... see, they have a field of fire that can cover the Confederates as they approach our line. Elevation means it's not perfect - they can't shoot as the enemy gets right up to us, but hopefully we'll be able to repel them before then.

Also, our guns are still limbered, and will need at least one more turn to unlimber, and rotate to face properly.

The 3d Bde of the 2d Division follows suit. It's too early for them to deploy just yet, but I'm thinking they're going to form my left flank, forming a line along the south side of the cornfield.

The three brigades of the 1st Division follow suit, but at this point the road is blocked-off enough that not a lot of progress is actually made.

[real Tiller-heads will know that a lot of these games revolve around moving units along roads, and optimizing for which units go through which roads, which units should go first, finding alternate roads, and deploying in time to engage in combat]

In double-checking our objectives, it turns out there's another objective hex to the northwest, well out of the way. I send our cavalry to secure it.

And finally our other cavalry unit to the south continues on their reconnaissance.

During the inter-turn, Johnny Reb advances in line formation, comes to within rifle range of the 102d NY, and opens fire, inflicing one casualty.

The battle is joined, gentlemen!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

:same: I avoid big scenarios in CMO for just this reason. I can't manage an entire invasion at once.

But even in the smaller scenarios it can be tough, like the submarine ones. This is something I can get down with all day in Janes 688i, Dangerous Water, or Cold Waters, but when I need this one particular unit to perform at a high level it all breaks down because I can't manage the minute to minute for them and so they're inevitably going to be detected pretty much no matter what I do. There's a mission to approach Iran and fire missiles, but even the modest ASW fleet between me and there is more or less no go no matter how deep and slow I run.

I wish CMO had scenarios to demonstrate how each type of equipment at each time period works. The tutorials are in the 2010’s and then you get thrown into a 1960’s scenario where submarines are modernized WW2 boats with hydrophones and straight run torpedoes.

I had to teach myself how to play Cold War scenarios and even then only France, and still not comfortable with all of their equipment because for example the air recon tutorial uses a F-14 with a state of the art recon pod, side scan radar and whatever else, and the Vautour has… cameras.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

civil war gaem

What's stopping the rebels from just charging at the flag? Most of the defensive line is still in columns and deploying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

What's stopping the rebels from just charging at the flag? Most of the defensive line is still in columns and deploying.

an infantry unit should have 8 movement points, and moving along the road while in Column costs one point per hex, so it should theoretically have been possible to move adjacent to the 102d NY and still have 3 movement points left over

however, the 102d NY was in Line (even if the rest of the brigade was still in Column), so charging into melee, in column*, when the enemy is in Line, and has not yet been "Fatigued" nor "Disrupted", would likely have lead to a bad result

___

* in the Civil War series, being in Column is purely for movement and is always a disadvantage in combat, whereas it might have some melee-related benefits when playing in the Revolutionary France/Napoleonic era

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, hard to yolo a line when they have rifled muskets with minie balls. So how does the game model the rebels yelling hooting and hollering before charging.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is that JTS Civil War?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Is that JTS Civil War?

It is, yes. Specifically the Antietam game, which covers that, plus 1st and 2nd Bull Run, with Cedar Mountain being a pregame scenario to the latter.

I figured we might start with a smaller, 21-turn scenario before I move on to the big leagues.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

GMT is working on a game that might be cool for CSPAM but I want to pick your brains about it:

Cross Bronx Expressway

Cross Bronx Expressway is the third game in the Irregular Conflicts Series. It simulates the socio-economic processes of urban development, and the human costs that result, as a competitive city-builder with collective loss conditions. Players control one of three asymmetric factions working in the South Bronx between 1940 and 2000, pursuing their own goals while cooperating to keep the borough viable. Through a card driven sequence of play, they will work to solve the economic challenges facing the area by building infrastructure and organizations, forming coalitions, mitigating the multitude of issues facing the vulnerable population, and managing resources to stay out of debt. Cross Bronx Expressway offers an engaging way to learn about the recent history of American cities, as exemplified by Jane Jacobs' pivotal work The Death and Life of Great American Cities, simulated through the case study of the South Bronx. Players will experience the conflicting incentives and complex factors shaping urban life and together determine the fate of the Bronx.

During his 1980 Presidential campaign, California Governor Ronald Reagan took a tour of the South Bronx. As he walked the same streets that President Jimmy Carter had walked three years prior, what Reagan witnessed was a scene so devastating it caused him to remark that he had not "seen anything that looked like this since London after the blitz." Cross Bronx Expressway is a game about the social and economic processes that created this scene in the South Bronx and the impacts they had on the local population during the second half of the 20th Century.

These six decades, from 1940 to 2000, witnessed many major events that shook the nation and the world, including the Second World War, the Korean and Vietnam Wars, an international recession in the 1970s, and economic recovery and increased globalization during the 1980s and 1990s. Less well known, but no less impactful for the people involved, were events in the Bronx during the same period, which underwent rapid growth and demographic change in the 1940s and 1970s, suffered through the debt crises that affected the whole of New York in the 1960s and 1970s, and struggled through the 1980s towards a recovery at the end of the 1990s. This is a game about navigating all these events as a local stakeholder in the South Bronx.

Beginning in the 1940s, New York embarked upon infrastructure and urban renewal projects that would reshape the city, including the culturally rich working class neighborhoods of the South Bronx. The game takes its name from one particularly infamous infrastructure project, an expressway conceived of and championed by the city's "construction coordinator" Robert Moses, which from 1948 to 1972 gradually cut through the borough, disrupting neighborhoods and businesses alike. This, and other similar infrastructure projects, impacted the local fabric of existing communities in ways that are still having an effect to this day.

The South Bronx also underwent significant demographic, economic, and social changes during this period. The existing European immigrant population, which had watched World War II unfold from the Bronx, went on to use post-war financial incentives to leave for the suburbs. With the introduction of commercial air travel, a new wave of migrants arrived from Puerto Rico, while segregation in the South saw many African Americans moving to the area. This growing minority population led to redlining policies which restricted real estate investment. At the same time, roadway and infrastructure projects used eminent domain laws to seize property and move forward with large-scale redevelopment, often at the cost of those already living locally. Neglected housing and social services reached a boiling point in 1977, when a citywide blackout combined with looting and arson to devastate the Bronx.

Throughout this period, a wide cast of public figures would take interest in the Bronx, including Robert Moses, US Presidents like Ronald Reagan, and New York Mayors like Rudolph Giuliani. For some, the area served as a publicity prop, while others saw it as a set of statistics to be manipulated from a distance. Yet each of these manipulations, no matter how far removed, had their impact on those that were fighting for survival in the borough.

Cross Bronx Expressway models this rich history as a competitive economic city builder with collective loss conditions. Three playable factions—Public, Private, and Community—attempt to save the city from the brink of bankruptcy and protect the Bronx's vulnerable population throughout this tumultuous period, while also working to achieve their own conflicting objectives. The game progresses using a shared event deck, divided into decades. Each decade features a semi-random series of historical cards whose effects will always occur but can be manipulated by the players. The factions perform actions around these events in order to mitigate their effects, while hoping to tip the balance in their favor. Infrastructure will be built and sometimes demolished, coalitions formed and abandoned, populations housed and displaced, and the vulnerable encouraged and discarded, while each faction struggles to stay out of debt and achieve their own objectives. At the end of each decade, census numbers are tallied to determine which factions have achieved their objectives and at what cost. If they manage to keep the city afloat, each decade provides the players with new opportunities to transform the South Bronx according to their own vision, but if too many vulnerable people are lost or if the city goes bankrupt, everyone will lose. Can you cooperate better than the historical actors did and pull the South Bronx back from the brink of disaster?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo it's like Pruitt-Igoe: The Game

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lol badass i will enjoy playing it ten years from now when it gets a digital version

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I got an hour every morning where I watch a grognard rear end game being played on youtube. Recently I've been watching TommyKay play HOI4, but he got a baby now so he's gonna be down for a few weeks. Before that was DerAva with XCOM2:LWOTC-ModJam and Vormithrax playing CDDA but I've exhausted on learning those systems.

Thinking about watching DasTactic play SHADOW EMPIRE. Anybody got like an old call center dude who does a daily upload

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

if you like hoi4/total war streamers check out mordredviking and anthnwam

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
any interest in a hoi4 MP game since the mapgoons group fell apart

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 3

For our first move, our five batteries orient themselves to face southwest, and then unlimber, giving them a clear field of fire in front of the Gate objective.

Artillery cannot fire on the same turn that they have moved/unlimbered, and so we won't get to use them until the next turn.

[question: do you find it better to color-code the map markings against the brigade color in question, or should I just use red/green/whatever colors are more visible?]

Henry Prince's brigade forms into line formation, and the 102d NY returns fire against advancing Virginians, inflicting eight casualties. None of the other regiments are in range, so that's all the shooting for this turn.

Additional context posted:

The 102d NY, as of this turn, has 591 men in the regiment, and is considered at 99% of its full strength. Their rifle muskets have a range of 4 hexes, and they're classified as a "D" quality regiment (where A is the best, and E is the worst).

We have a couple of regiments in the 1st Division that only have a 2-hex range on their fire, reflecting that they're only using smoothbore muskets.

The two rebel regiments that the New Yorkers fired upon were the 42nd Virginia, a C-quality regiment with 2-hex smoothbores, and the 1st Virginia Irish battalion, another C-quality unit with 4-hex rifle-muskets. You wouldn't know this if fog-of-war were on, but I'm revealing the information to provide a contrast to what our own units are like.

Most of our units are C- and D-grade troops, though the batteries are B-grade, and so are the 2nd Massachusetts and the 3rd Wisconsin, though they're all the way in the back.

Brigadier General George Green's 3d Brigade moves up and forms the right flank of our position, along the cornfield. The troops have not have had time to deploy into line formation yet.

The 1st Division and its three brigades march down Culpeper Road and near the forward edge of battle. I am not quite sure where these troops will go - I am thinking I may extend the line farther to the east, past the cornfield, with one brigade held in reserve.

Our cavalry to the north continue their ride, seizing the loose objective hex along the way.

Our cavalry to the south rides around near the Crittenden House, and spots another rebel force on the opposite side of the patch of woods across from the cornfield.

We end the turn.

During the interturn, the rebels advance, and there's a hot exchange of fire.

Notably, our cavalry unit is shot at, takes five casualties, and immediately routs.

On the infantry side, we come out ahead, taking 7 casualties to the Confederates's 42.

We have two full brigades bearing down on us, lead by Brigadier General Jubal Early, under the divisional command of Major General Richard S. Ewell. However, we have well-sited artillery, and I feel confident about our position.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Are casualties in the game actual casualties (ie, one casualty equals exactly one person) or are they more abstract than that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tekopo posted:

Are casualties in the game actual casualties (ie, one casualty equals exactly one person) or are they more abstract than that?

They're exactly that. The game will specifically read-out that a regiment has precisely 349 men or whatever, and when the combat results say "2 men" as casualties, the count will be reduced to 347 men. As well, all of the combat calculations will factor in the number of men firing to determine its effectiveness (i.e., the fewer men, the less damaging the fire, all other things being equal).

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Frosted Flake posted:

I wish CMO had scenarios to demonstrate how each type of equipment at each time period works. The tutorials are in the 2010’s and then you get thrown into a 1960’s scenario where submarines are modernized WW2 boats with hydrophones and straight run torpedoes.

I had to teach myself how to play Cold War scenarios and even then only France, and still not comfortable with all of their equipment because for example the air recon tutorial uses a F-14 with a state of the art recon pod, side scan radar and whatever else, and the Vautour has… cameras.

A decent Cold War small scale air war scenario intro scenario is English Jets Over Uganda, it has a camera recon under cloud cover task that is pretty instructive.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy poo poo it's like Pruitt-Igoe: The Game

I did the P500 for it there moment I saw it.

In other news, the Fall of Saigon expansion for Fire in the Lake showed up in the mail yesterday. Maybe I'll break that in over the weekend

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i got vietnam '75 and afghanistan '11 on the cheap should i try to learn through steam guides and lps or should i just go in with no earth clue what to do

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Danann posted:

i got vietnam '75 and afghanistan '11 on the cheap should i try to learn through steam guides and lps or should i just go in with no earth clue what to do

UN AID DELIVERED

They're easy enough to understand without a guide for the most part, but it wouldn't hurt.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

I did the P500 for it there moment I saw it.

In other news, the Fall of Saigon expansion for Fire in the Lake showed up in the mail yesterday. Maybe I'll break that in over the weekend

I’m waiting on mine.

Can you explain what’s up with the upgrade and/or AI package? They’re each like $30 and so far as I understand, update the flowchart solitaire system to a card based one?

I ordered the Sovereign of Discord too but I think that’s not being printed yet.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I found my grognard limit with Decisive Campaigns Ardennes, I spent an hour on the Plan Martin scenario and am maybe halfway done with my first turn. If you want to manage each company level formation across multiple army corps then you should probably be locked up.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 03:49 on Aug 3, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Computer Gaming World had rumors of a game in the 90s of a wargame that would model the entire Eastern Front at the company level

It fell through and didn't get made, and the closest we ever got was Fire In The East, which is still only regimental

... Someday

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pryor on Fire posted:

I found my grognard limit with Decisive Campaigns Ardennes, I spent an hour on the Plan Martin scenario and am maybe halfway done with my first turn. If you want to manage each company level formation across multiple army corps then you should probably be locked up.

I've played multiple multiplayer games of the Wacht am Rhein scenario. Turns for the German side usually take between an hour and two hours. Much faster for night turns. Allies tend to go faster also, aside from the first turn.

Don't really feel like getting into Plan Martin though because it looks like such a slam dunk for the Allies that it's difficult to imagine anything interesting happening.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 4

First, our five artillery batteries ring out, aiming at two of the rebel regiments closest to the Gate, and three of the orange-colored regiments further to the south.

We then unleash rifle-fire on Johnny Reb, and inflict serious casualties, while taking some of our own.

Context posted:

Whenever a unit takes casualties, it gets checked for Disruption, which is a random roll, based on the Quality and the Fatigue-level of the unit, to see if it will become Disrupted.

Disrupted units cannot attack in melee, fire less effectively, and are akin to Routing.

When a disrupted unit takes casualties, it gets checked for Routing, which is when a unit runs away. True to this era, routs can cause adjacent units to also rout, so sometimes you can end up breaking an entire line when a single rout "chains" into the whole brigade or division, especially with low-quality troops.

Because of the way this works, you generally to spread your fire around as much as possible, in order to trigger as many Disruption and Rout checks as you can across the entire line, and then only "double-up" on shooting a unit that's already been shot, if you've already shot at as many units as you can.

The rest of George Green's brigade (in gray) forms up into line formation and takes up the rest of the edge of the cornfield, while I've decided that Geary's brigade (in black) will pass behind them and will attempt to take positions on that small hillock. That will anchor our line from woods to woods, and give us clear fields of fire against Early's orange brigade.

Sam Crawford's brigade (in green) forms up right behind the Gate as a reserve, Gordon's brigade (in blue) moves up behind the cornfield as a reserve along that part of the line, and our second set of divisional artillery has to detour around before it can set-up on the higher elevation.

Our cavalry continue their flanking movement and spot some Confederate supplies that we might be able to raid next turn, but otherwise have not found anything else yet.

After the inter-turn, some good news and some bad news.

The rebel brigade in brown, on the road to the Gate, we managed to induce to retreat.

However, Early's brigade has come up right into our lines, and while we get one full turn of hitting them with a hail of gunfire, we might get a melee assault if we don't rout them here.

Also, we see another two brigades coming up from the south - Trimble's brigade, in red, Quality B, and the Stonewall Brigade, Quality A, in green.

Casualties:
from the start of Turn 4, to the beginning of turn 5 (i.e. just after the Confederates have taken their turn),
we took 43 casualties
and the rebels took 237 casualties

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How feasible is it to shoot the enemy off their position in ACW battles?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Looks like you're already doing it but trying to grab that hill NE of Crittenden House should help shore up your eastern flank and give you a better chance against those elite rebs.

Or I guess give ground and just spread out towards Mitchell Station Road

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

How feasible is it to shoot the enemy off their position in ACW battles?

in open ground, it is very possible

if you have artillery, so much the better

if the enemy is well dug-in, trenches, abatis, woods, and so on, you will need to resort to hand-to-hand combat

my experience with the game is that it encourages what the generals at the time called the offensive-defensive: taking good ground, and then forcing the enemy to come to you, because it is a LOT harder to be on the offensive (as it has always been in most warfare, but especially so here)

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m waiting on mine.

Can you explain what’s up with the upgrade and/or AI package? They’re each like $30 and so far as I understand, update the flowchart solitaire system to a card based one?

I ordered the Sovereign of Discord too but I think that’s not being printed yet.

I haven't really longed at ot in depth yet this week, work has been. Though it looms line there's a new mechanic for the US banking or just abandoning ARVN, kind of like the Pakistan track from A Distant Plain

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CMANO devs must have read this thread:

Command Showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIz1MEIGRx0

Command Showcase is a series of scenarios that will put you in command of the most significant weapons sensors and units in the modern era with new and hypothetical theaters of war.

With these Showcase units, you will be subject to new challenges and different situations to overcome. With the huge Command database, constantly expanding and being updated, you may have to face a new challenge every time. – can you showcase their power?

Take advantage of distinct units types, Aircraft, Ships, submarines..Utilise their ammunition, sensors and weaponry to get a glorious victory.

Features:
- Complex management of the main unit
- Each scenario is centered on a weapon, sensor or unit
- Harness your allies or fight alone against the enemy
- Manage and master a single unit, sensor or weapon at a time
- Increase your skills and tactics more and more in each challenge

Your first challenge is to manage the most modern aircraft carrier in the world: the Queen Elizabeth, in a dangerous patrol in the waters of the Chinese sea.
Intelligence indicates that a number of Chinese Warships have been deployed to the South China Sea towards your location; their intentions are unknown at the present time..

e: Anyone see this? It’s like someone saw the simplicity of The Hunters and decided that analogue Silent Hunter would be more fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNB3UwF8Jw

Website, Rules.

Some of these European thematic games seem like Mousetrap for adults.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 6

We direct our artillery first. Our batteries do not have visibility on Early's men that are right up against the cornfield, so we spread the fire around to the Stonewall brigade in the rear, and Early's Virginians that are just short of our lines.

And our four remaining batteries haul themselves up the hill, unlimber, and face towards the enemy. They'll be coming into action on the next turn.

quote:

* from here on out, when I say "left", I will be referring to the left-hand side of the monitor, and correspondingly to the right, and not left-or-right as it pertains to the facing of the lines, to minimize confusion.

We pour fire on the Georgia regiment that's come up to the cornfield. Hopefully they will break during the inter-turn.

Geary's brigade marches up and takes the hill to the west of Mitchell Station Road, but it just so happens that the two lead regiments, the 7th and 66th Ohio, are both only using smoothbores, so the rebels are out of range of their firearms. We may need to "swap" with the 5th and 29th Ohio behind them.

Gordon's and Crawford's brigades deploy into line and form a second layer of troops.

We disperse our cavalry in the west, and they find that the Confederates are bringing up two batteries along Culpeper Road. It may come down to an artillery duel!

After the inter-turn:

Stonewall's brigade advances right behind Early, while Trimble's brigade comes up on the south end of our line, facing the Ohioans.

Early's Virginians attack into the cornfield and displace the 78th New York, who are Disrupted and are reduced to just over half their number (now down to 249 men, 62% of full strength), but fortunately they do not rout just yet.

Can we throw them back?

Casualties

Union Infantry: 227 total (+166 from last turn)
Union Cavalry: 5 total

Confederate Infantry: 638 total (+351 from last turn)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

confeds using some napoleon-rear end attack column tactics right there

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Why are you putting only 1 line inf per hex while the opponent is stacking like 3 or 4?

Would it be better to bring up those 2 reserve brigades as well as the regiments with the rifled muskets into the front hexes?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

good question. will defense in depth be a viable counter against stacked up confederate units? will the late arriving gordon and crawford units arrive in time and in sufficient strength to turn the tide of battle? tune in next post for the exciting continuation! I am entertained.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my reasoning is that I'm playing defense, so it's better to spread out such that only one regiment takes it on the chin at any one time, and then I still have fresh troops right behind

I can stack, if I wanted to, but it comes at the expense of heavier casualties, because losses are increased if a hex is more "full" of men

those reserve brigades are almost certainly going to take action this next turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t know how to explain this, but I think covid is destroying nice militaria, wargaming and model making. We’ve talked about John Tiller (JTS) and Christopher Dean (NWS), but I keep hitting dead URLs and obituaries for some of these old wargame designers, amateur historians and militaria writers. For example, I’ve been trying to get a copy of this book:

Which, being self-published by a boomer hobbyist of course I was supposed to order by mail or email. No response by either yet. After a while, I searched online and was told to order from “specialist booksellers including John Rauscher in the US at https://www.boomersbook.com That Url is dead. Naturally, I found an obituary.

Then, I was looking for this book:

Written by an artillerymen I knew was active in the artillery association. The publisher’s site http://www.servicepub.com came up dead too, with some online chatter about the guy who ran it being sick, and while I did not find out if the author or publisher was dead, the author did turn up in one of the several RCA Association emails I get a day about members who are sick, usually with covid.

There are more examples I could link, but it’s the strangest thing because while I understood the stereotype of British Army veterans tinkering in their garden shed and Canadian vets in wood panelled basements researching the course of the Regiment, and knew there was a demographic slant, I didn’t expect covid to make it basically impossible to find much of this material anymore.