Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I know you guys are posting serious (and awesome) wargames, but dies anybody mind if I discuss something more arcade-y?

There's a crazy guy in Spain who has taken the best elements of all the Panzer General family and made it into an open source game and game development suite.

It's called Open General

Obviously it's meh on the realism department, but I find it super fun. It's my go-to "play mindlessly to get the thinking going" game.

It is pretty, doesn't hog your CPU and it has the best elements of all PG! (Leaders, abilities, AA intercept, construction of battlefield elements....)

Oh and nazis on the moon

It has a ton of campaigns and equipment files already, from antique warfare to cold war equipment. You can probably find your fancy.

It has a strong community of campaign developers and documentstion, and the map and campaign editor seems straightforwars to me.

This means, of course, that there are some campaigna that are repeated 3/4 times because of disagreements ("NO, DOUG WHITEMAN, I TELL YOU THAT THE RANGED DEFENCE OF GERMAN PARATROOPERS IN 1943 HAD TO BE 6, NOT 7!!!1!!!1!).

It also means that a ton of peepz with heightened cases of, euh.... love for the motherland, have created itty bitty,but interest campaigns. ("Mmmh.... yes. Yes! The world needs to know about the Estonian* independence struggle**, 1917-1949!!!!!1!")

I find it has two disadvantages. One, it runs only in windows. And two, I once seeked out the community to play some chill PvP and the only answer I got was from a person who only wanted to play their jumbo, extremely specific scenario with an entire page of houserules. A labour of love, no doubt, but I found it overwhelming.
Which is a way of saying, if anyone is up for some slow, chill PBEM, I'm happy to oblige.

Hope someone enjoys it!

* No offence to Estonia, a place I love

** substitute for Czech anabasis/Dutch colonizers end up conquering africa/Spain winning against the US/Ethiopia or China becoming XIX century hegemons/nazis on the moon... all of those are crazy campaigns that exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, PG abstracting logistics is certainly one of its weaknesses. I'll have to give OoB a spin.

:bsdsnype: boom snype