Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Are casualties in the game actual casualties (ie, one casualty equals exactly one person) or are they more abstract than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

confeds using some napoleon-rear end attack column tactics right there

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

when you don't fancy doing the battle of 3rd Bull Run:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

regiments looks pretty tight ngl

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I get all of my knowledge of soviet military doctrine by watching “enemy at the gates”

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

honestly wonder how Combat Mission: Black Sea stacks up now lmao

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

A Sim enjoying nuclear power for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTEilGNDifI

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

that's why Crusader King is the superior series

don't think there's another series that allows you to create a family of hosed up inbreds

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

deathtraps has a lot to answer for

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

probably because they didn't need it and the panther/tiger were already ridiculously overweight

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

guy that works at tank repair depot: "wow there's a LOT of damaged tanks here!!"

Tekopo has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Nov 25, 2022

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

look having to remove 7 road wheels in order to just replace 1 of them builds character and shows the strength of precision german engineering

why mass produce tanks when you can create special hand-crafted bespoke artisanal panzers

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nixon is that guy that is a little bit too into playing the nazis in any given wargames

or has a fully painted SS Leibstandarte army, and admires them for their efficiency

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ss mythology was manufactured by a mix of the us rehabilitating nazi generals post wwii and an American cottage industry of small press magazine/books/wargames that started in the 70 and developed through the 80s and early 90s

some bits aren’t great but The Myth of the Eastern Front is a good read

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

SH3 with Grey Wolves was probably one of the best experiences that i've had with a subsim ever. I also liked SH4, even unmodded, since the flow of the campaign was so different from SH3

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'll have to check that out. Some of the funniest poo poo that happened to me in SH4 was basing out of Manila and losing the base there and limping home at quarter speed to Surabaya and barely making it there before my fuel ran out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COINs are pretty cool board games but the more you depart from modern counter-insurgency scenarios, the more poo poo they become, so anything that has elements of conventional war (Vietnam) or that models pre-modern warfare is kinda poo poo

Also their use as a serious analysis of counter insurgency is kinda poo poo, but they can still be compelling to play

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

to go a bit further, COIN as a game is based on the writings of Galuga, a French officer in Algeria, after France lost the Algerian revolution

these writings were used to create a framework to model the (debatably) successful counter insurgency in Colombia, with the release of Andean abyss, the first game in the series. The system was then transplanted to other conflicts

To me, that entire premise is wrong: you can’t treat counter-insurgencies as a translate framework, since each is entirely unique to the country and culture involved. Even the small changes made are not enough to account for this, thus making the games of incredibly dubious value from a simulationist point of view

There’s a game which I can’t recall the name of about a counter insurgency in a Central American country, which models the cultural prominence of different factions in each region, and those differences have measurable impact on the simulation

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Reject Modernity

Embrace Tradition

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

they should make a pc empire of the sun
:hmmyes:

also pacific war is really good for an 80s design, loving hell

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've tried a couple of wargames mods in TTS and the only ones that played better than vassal were block games, anything else was too fiddly in tems of stacking chits, although i heard some updates to tts made that issue better

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

KomradeX posted:

I was playing Silent Victory the other night, a single player game of US submarine warfare against Japan. Between April or 42 and September or 44 my Gato class boat managed to sink 207,200 tons of Japanese shipping, including the Battleship Heibei. Unfortunately in September of 44 I was sunk after wandering into a minefield off of Japan. Such was the fate of the USS Hellfish
I love those games, I have The Hunters, Silent Victory and Beneath the Med. I ran a whole bunch of missions in an LP once for The Hunters, it was good fun but got repetitive by the end. I tried with Silent Victory as well but the narratives weren't as compelling.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

should have included circular runs for added spiciness

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

beneath the med also has rules for Maiale missions: I remember going to the naval museum in Venice and a Maiale being the first thing you see when you step in

edit: maiale means pig in italian

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm running a Pacific War game at the moment where I've tried to give the players as little information about the rules as possible, where I run all of the rules and where I've added additional fog of war, over even the one that the base game rules have, and I've been really hoping no one cheats because it would be extremely easy to do

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

y'all really need to read the myth of the eastern front

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

i still to this die have nightmares about Ceaser shouting "PLEBS ARE NEEDED" at me

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

enemy at the gates was so poo poo it makes me mad to this day, and its impossible to talk about the eastern front with someone without people referencing some of the poo poo that appeared in that film

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The time I ran it I just used DMs and Vassal, but I also narrated and wrote out every single card for the game. It was a lot of work

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Dreylad posted:

My next step was to check out TG to see if you guys had run it. I figured it'd be a lot of work even without transcribing, much respect for that level of effort.
I found my game. Needs archives. I think this was completed? Could be wrong, was a long time ago.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

awww gently caress, I remember now, it was completed but I think the forums ate the end of the game, which is a shame, I had written a whole post about how the Syndicate won I think

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

the winning strategy in any wwii online multiplayer game, either fps or strategy, is and always will be to write “Rommel was a war criminal” in global chat and destroy your opponent while he writes an essay on why he’s not

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

playing against someone and wondering if they are a nazi or 35 years old

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Reminds me of labyrinth, the board game where military intervention is cool and good, and the scenario where Gore wins is much harder

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I searched for it and was prepared for yet another gem from Compass Games, makers of such gems such as Lebensraum and Triumph of the Will but no, it’s a GMT game, wtf

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I remember when I played A Distant Plain and realised that the Taliban and Government are actually natural allies because none of their win conditions clash with each other

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pacific War reprint by GMT

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

if you wanna look into wargames, Empire of the Sun and Pacific War are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mr Prime Minister will be a game about how many rakes you can comically step on/how much you gently caress up your country before being forced to call an election