Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
is Victoria 3 worth playing yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Bronze age game takes me back to the "reign of Hittite" tutorial campaign in age of empries

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Mister Bates posted:

no, and the first major expansion, which will add a bunch of basic features to diplomacy, imperialism, and subject management, systems which currently barely exist in the game, is not due for another year

I'll check back in 2-3 years then

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

I know cannons in both games needed a lot of attention cus they'd be happy to just unload into a tiny terrain rise directly in front of them which you hadn't even noticed when placing the unit with your camera all up high in its default battlefield settings.

I've never spent time putting the camera at shoulder height of my dudes to figure out what's going on in any other TW at least.
I can't remember if Napoleon had it but one of the funniest features of total war games was where you get to manually aim artillery pieces from 1st person PoV

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

FirstnameLastname posted:

they dropped the ball

sounds like a paradox game upon release alright

it's the memory hole now but when Victoria 2 first came out the game stop being playable at 1870 as you would get every province spawning rebels non-stop and you don't have a way to prevent it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
honestly I think Victoria 1 with mods was always underrated, maybe it's just nostalgia but it was Vicky 1 + the most popular mods which produced the most historical sensible outcomes from my games

I think my favorite game was when I made Russia a stable democracy by 1900 and with the Mensheviks/SR/Bolsheviks and the Kadets/Octoberists forming the left/right coalitions respectively taking turns running the government.

Even the election result % looked plausible for a multi-party parliamentary system.

I can't think of getting anywhere near a realistic looking political outcome in Vicky 2

Victoria 2 had plenty of problems with the economic model. The net result of which is the game is too easy since by midgame most countreis effectively has infinite money

Typo has issued a correction as of 00:41 on May 25, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Lostconfused posted:

It's not teleporting.

The game is only looking for a connection from market center or capital province (which is the same thing) to any other province within the market.

They could go back to the Europa Universalis 4 model and just partitioning the world off into smaller self contained markets and then linking them up like that I guess.

the EU4 trade model sucked because it's hardcoded for a all trade to flow to Europe

why the gently caress can't I make Nanjing center of world trade instead of the English channel?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Danann posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/ - Warham Gladius is available free until June 1. It's an AoW-type game but Warhams.

I want to like that game but the fact that ingame research tree constantly tells you are you are locked out of the DLC content and tells you to pay for it really turned me off

tbf tho apparantly it's made by a team of 3 ppl, so I get why they need the money

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

In the Warhams universe not really, they just need to be cool and epic imo.

In the historical TWs yeah they should be gruelling slogs, but primarily over the multi-turn affairs that are now completely not a gameplay mechanic. The actual siege part is automated with no interactions beyond waiting a lot of turns, or storming a castle/fort. They should really add some siege mechanics beyond constructing siege engines to the strategic layer imo.

The original Stronghold was cool. Everything that came after wasn't imo.

yeah historical ancient/medieval sieges were pretty boring and is mostly a battle of attrition

sieges were hideously expensive for the attacker to conduct since they need to provision/pay for a far larger number of men on the fly than the guys sitting inside a castle: for a very long time.

That's why fortifications were so effective: they were means by which you can delay the enemy and/or economically attrition your enemy into giving up

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Megamissen posted:

combined with instant assaults and the doom stacking there was no reason to ever siege
if you had to siege a number of turns depending on the defenses before being able to assault it could have been interesting

ironic the reason why they made sieging fortifications pointless reflects the actual reasons why fortifications were effective historically: they tie down big armies and takes a really fking long time to take down

Typo has issued a correction as of 14:58 on May 31, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

Also more risk of disease and starvation in a siege camp then inside the castle. The castle has basic amenities and food stores, the siege camp is a field on hostile terrain that is also located inside hostile territory. The logistics get complicated quickly.
not in actual history but in asoiaf book 4 there's this one stark bannerman who was holding out in riverrun against a lannister siege after robb died and when I first read I was like "yeah this guy is screwed".

now that I think about it the dude prob could have just held out for years (multi-year sieges were a thing during medieval times) and waited for the winds of political fortune to destabilize the Lannister regime and then made a deal with whoever replaced them to retain his independence.

too bad Edmure tully is a failson

Typo has issued a correction as of 15:36 on May 31, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I miss TW 3 kingdoms now

there's nothing that quite matches the joy of watching Lu Bu solo like 1000 men by himself

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

is there actually a good WWII naval strategy game?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

sum posted:

Field of Glory II is free on Steam. It's very similar to Pike and Shot or Sengoku Jidai but set in ancient Europe, very tabletop-y but without silliness of digital dice rolls and the like.

is this a paradox DLC mafia type game

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Megamissen posted:

im putting some dota 2 items up on the market so ill probably buy tabletop simulator tomorrow

TTS is the almost the only game I'm playing now

my latest obsession is Dune Imperium and TTS has a good mod for it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
My simulteanous favorite and biggest disappointment in a cold war era war game is the PRC vs USSR 1979 scenerio in wargame red dragon

You play as the PLA which was clearly the materially inferior party in the conflict.

I thought the game would be about you figuring how to use your advantages to formulate tactics to defeat a technologically and materially superior foe

but no instead the game turned out to be about exploiting the broken-rear end enemy A.I who will drive their T-80s in a line through your urban defenses to be destroyed by your militia infantry

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

skooma512 posted:

The only I almost beat a Wargame campaign was in the 2nd Korean War one. They took their helicopter division and went into a province where I had the anti air one. It was a glorious loving massacre with vulcans just chewing them up.

every wargame campaign is basically just tower defense

the best campaign were actually the ones from the first game because they scripted the missions so it -felt- like a real battle, whereas in every subsequent game battles were dynamic and the A.I just couldn't handle it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Lum_ posted:

Another game in that genre if you like Panzer General likes is People's General, where a resurgent PRC goes all out and invades the world (Russia first - this was in the Yeltsin years when Russia was effectively a Western ally, then east Asia, then finally Korea). Or in reverse if you want to play NATO.

it's $6 on GOG and holds up pretty well

https://www.gog.com/en/game/peoples_general

I remember the campaign gets pretty fking brutal past Mission 10 or so

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
so I tried Field of Glory II

is the battle system actually complex and encourage usage of combined arms tactics?

or is it just one of those games where you find the "one simple trick" and then just win every battle using it?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Chazani posted:

Positioning and knowing when to commit are the big things. Blocks of infantry can barely turn, so managing that is the big thing. And having reserves when some part of your line will eventually collapse.

that's one of my favorite parts of the game thus far, it realistically depicts the weakness of heavy troops which is their lack of maneuverability

no more poo poo like in rome: total war where your phalanx will instantly turn 180 to attack someone to their rear

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Frosted Flake posted:

They treated the garrison famously well? Like, let officers keep their swords and everything. Created a town in Japan for POWs where they were allowed to walk around freely, shop at stores, send mail.

It's one of the biggest puzzles for historians trying to explain Japanese behaviour in WW2.

Japan was actually cited for exemplary care of PoWs in WWI

the country took a very hard right turn in the 1920s-1930s

I think after 8 years of war in China a grand total of 50 Chinese PoWs were release by Japan at the end of the war: you can guess what happened to the rest

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

StashAugustine posted:

Iraq was probably the big breakaway point with Russia, showing America was just gonna do whatever the gently caress it wanted and no one could talk them out if it. The Georgian crisis and the Libyan intervention were the next big steps but 03 is as good a start date imo

Iraq was actually met with some degree of admiration from Russia: it was like "holy gently caress Bush is just like a Roman emperor he doesn't give a gently caress and just does whatever the he wants"

but yeah Georgia 2008 was the red line so to speak

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I remember playing MW1 and thinking "gently caress are they STILL using Russia as the enemy?"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Other Americans were the bad guys in MW2

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Minenfeld! posted:

The time I went to Gettysburg really hit home just how loving stupid the whole thing was. It's not just an enormous amount of open ground it's up a loving hill.

it make more sense once you realize that the Confederates almost pierced the Union center around cemetery hill in the same area as Pickett's charge on the evening of July 2nd with a smaller attack attacking from roughly the same angle

so I think the idea was "well it almost worked 18 hours ago"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

John Charity Spring posted:

The closest point of comparison I have is actually Partisans 1941, which is a game about controlling a squad of Soviet partisans and sneaking around setting up ambushes before Going Loud and murdering Germans and collaborators before running away. It's nowhere near as slick as Aliens but it's worth a look if that sounds interesting at all (which it should)

probably the only time I've seen a sympathetic portrayal of an NKVD officer lol

isn't partisans basically modern commandos:behind enemy lines?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

sullat posted:

The Ultimate General: Civil war game is fun because it tries to convince you to make the same mistakes that the Union generals did. Also, like McClellan thought, it gives the rebels huge hordes of men.

what I heard the game is good up until gettysburg (I stopped playing before then) and then afterwards just goes very arcadey/gamey

like the battle of Richmond which historically was the union mostly just marching in after Petersburg. In game it's a huge boss battle involving 100k+ rebels. And every battle the Confederates take amount of casualties that would have caused them to collapse but they just keep going.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

skooma512 posted:

The confederacy was defeated militarily, but politically they arguably won in the long run. It was acceptable to support that rebel faction and display their regalia and the former CSA was allowed to continue with apartheid policies and still greatly influenced national politics. The US didn't even really see the CSA as bad guys and instead of made it out to be a simple disagreement. Hell, US troops during WW2 even skirmished with their British hosts because they wanted US apartheid to apply in the UK too simply because they were there now.

tbf both the north and the south were white supremacist states before, during and after the Civil War. Even many abolitionists believed that blacks were racially inferior even if slavery was wrong. So it' s not like the triumph of white supremacy during the reconstruction was some unique southern victory.

quote:

The US didn't even really see the CSA as bad guys and instead of made it out to be a simple disagreement.
Even the south started to see it that way. There was a lot of weird mental gymnastics behind it.

John B Gordan said "you were right to fight the war, but so were we" and Woodrow Wilson basically said something along the lines of "it's good that we the south lost the civil war but we were also correct in fighting it"

Typo has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Jul 12, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Frosted Flake posted:

That's not "being fair", it's a false equivalency. Whatever individual attitudes were, the nature of that supremacy was enshrined in the south and abolished by the Union.

yeah the north and the south were clearly not equivalent. The north distinctively did -not- reduce its black inhabitants to the status of serfs as in post-reconstruction south. The south was clearly a lot worse.

quote:

According to the conventional view, the freedoms and interests of African American veterans were not defended by white Union veterans after the war, despite the shared tradition of sacrifice among both black and white soldiers. In The Won Cause, however, Gannon challenges this scholarship, arguing that although black veterans still suffered under the contemporary racial mores, the GAR honored its black members in many instances and ascribed them a greater equality than previous studies have shown. Using evidence of integrated posts and veterans' thoughts on their comradeship and the cause, Gannon reveals that white veterans embraced black veterans because their membership in the GAR demonstrated that their wartime suffering created a transcendent bond--comradeship--that overcame even the most pernicious social barrier--race-based separation. By upholding a more inclusive memory of a war fought for liberty as well as union, the GAR's "Won Cause" challenged the Lost Cause version of Civil War memory.
interesting

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
my favorite part of xcom2 is that pre-mission loadout screen music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STc6FGDNOL0

it just gets you pumped up to miss that "95 percent" shot at a muton

Typo has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Jul 21, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Lostconfused posted:

It is impressive that American chauvinism makes it impossible to even imagine western europe as an independent power.

Americans are the most narcissistic people on the planet

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Orange Devil posted:

While I agree with the general sentiment we should bear in mind that at least France and alsonI believe the UK maintain nuclear arsenals independent from the US, which really isn't nothing.

The French independent nuclear arsenal was actually genius (for France)

the basic idea was that if France launches nukes at the USSR the Soviets will retaliate vs Europe and thus force the US/UK to nuke the USSR

so basically by having a fairly small number of nukes it's like they put their hands on the trigger of all the NATO nukes

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

does unity of command actually have good a.i

it kinda look like panzer generals 3 and the a.i was so bad in that one you literally just walk ur army frm one end of the map to the other and you win

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Flipswitch posted:

I keep meaning to pick up the Horn of Africa Twilight Struggle game. Anyone here played that?

Yes

it's fun

problem is that it's also much higher variance, because there's only 2 rounds. So there's less rounds to even out bad card draw variance or bad rolls

It's like faster/less competitive version of base game.

Typo has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Aug 10, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
so I played Cuba Libre for the first time today, played as the Government

holy gently caress it was rough, you basically needed to understand all the other faction's mechanics to have a chance of winning. Really wish I picked an easier faction.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tekopo posted:

Gov in CL is the most boring faction in any COIN ever. You basically just concentrate on the three cities and the central region since that’s all you need to win, and as the game progresses you just get more and more unable to do anything about the board state. It’s just not a very pleasant experience.

yeah all of us were new players and the game dragged on, halfway through all 4 of us just wanted the game to end

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Cheen posted:

I don't know about eastern bloc, or really even China other than to say that Twilight Struggle was popular in China and had it's own meta that is based on strategies (focus on VPs) considered to be better than the western meta (focus on longer term map presence/value). They came together once they released the online app to play the game.

yeah, I've watched some online plays btwn one of the best Chinese player vs one of the best western-style player and it was really something

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Minenfeld! posted:

Twilight Struggle is $7.99 for Android is that worth it?

yes, you might need to play on a tablet tho

it's an amazing game both mechanically and in terms of the App's quality

Typo has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Aug 15, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Frosted Flake posted:

I've seen Cuba Libre criticized for the Mob being the most unfairly advantageous faction across the whole series.

the Mob kinda reminds me of the vagabond in root (which is broken)

the government are the cats

I guess july 26/directorate are woodland alliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

KomradeX posted:

Every game, especially single player games of Cuba Libre Ive played has always ended up with with the. Winning cause all they need is to get casinos on the board sit back and make money

so I actually watched a couple of strategy guides

apparantly if you are the gov you basically have to aim for victory by the second propaganda card round

if you go to scoring round 4/endgame mafia just wins

I suspect unless you play with experienced players the games always drag on cuz no one knows how to close out games so mafia just win by default