Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Most grog wargames have terrible AI too, ime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you can just dm me your state secrets if the temptation is too high, i won't get you fired

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Honestly if you're going to do a Nazi campaign in a strategy campaign don't even bother with trying to justify it in a dramatic way like that. Just do it like Empire Earth's Germany campaign and have it be a bunch of guys with goofy accents telling you to conquer Europe.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

people played coh for the single player?

granted the panzer elite were an unbalanced mess in mp

I only play strategy games for the campaign...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's better than the other WW2 Twilight Zone episode with a Star Trek actor

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it was a very good episode, and Nemoy is great in it, it's an incredibly thoughtful script, but...

What I mean is it's better than the episode where George Takei is a Japanese American who gets possessed by a samurai sword and kills a bigoted veteran while screaming bonzai.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They don't have Italy as a faction yet. I guess they could get Chris Pratt for their VA.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Edit: loving Germans, I swear to god, I don't even know what's going on here. Apparently nazis and socdem military make for the most popular government?

social democracy is objectively the left wing of fascism

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Loving all the great war: western front reviews along the lines of "game is a repetitive slog, can't make any progress, all my attacks get pasted by artillery"

You just got to open another front, maybe somewhere in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the earth was colder and the ocean lower back then

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The good ending

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

a GWOT game where the US and Al Qaeda players compete to do 9/11 before the other one does

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Brits were too arrogant to even let the other white parts of their empire have an equal seat at the table, no way would they let the Indians in there. Plus imagine all the crazy poo poo that happens in India politics but now it's happening in Whitehall. The South Asian MPs would vastly outnumber the Anglo MPs, to the point of making them a vestigial organ. How do you even pretend it's the same polity with the same concerns at that point? It would reveal the absurdity at the heart of empire quicker than the actual Raj did.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Typo posted:

is Victoria 3 worth playing yet

no

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey you know what game has all that? Victoria 2. They should make a sequel to that game

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Seems like it would be unbalanced, the PRC always has the China card at the start of the round

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'd be happy if the AI could just maintain a line and and such.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

KomradeX posted:

I heard the Company of Heroes community is mad at the third gamez what did it nor show enough difference to the Nazis?

no there's a bunch of problems with it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

the thing with warhammer total war is it has the warhammer setting and so you can play satanic industrialist dwarfs and dinosaurs with lasers

this inevitably leads to somewhat greater variety than most other total war settings

They balance it out by having the battles be shallower than usual. The games are still near the peak for the series but variety is overstated when you can lump most of the units into like 5 types and use them the same way on the same maps.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's not that the historical games have more unit types, it's that the Warhammer's increased variety isn't as much as it seems when you first start playing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1663216892725678082?s=20

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the joke is just that the reality is just as ridiculous as a Yeonmi Park story, don't think about it too hard.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Total War had good sieges as recently as Three Kingdoms, and great ones as recently as Attila and (from what I've heard) Thrones of Britannia. Not sure why they can't get it right with Warhammer. Maybe the flying units or something.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The AI was dumb but it was fun as hell.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's the Stronghold series, although from what I've heard the newer entries are all bad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

KomradeX posted:

They did, I remember before 9/11 Bush was trying to ramp up tensions against China, but 9/11 happened and well we know the rest

In retrospect we should all be grateful to comrade BIn Laden for giving SWCC the space to grow.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

KomradeX posted:

I kind of wonder if that might just be more than a joke

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they'll just do another charge, easy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He did it twice

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

If you blow up a bank the people in the town will become more loyal to you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was okay, it helped shake up the western end of the map, but there wasn't that much flavor to the Aztecs and it as mostly a gimmick.

Anyways how about an alt history wargame where the Nazis destroyed the British army at Dunkirk and Japan attacked the USSR instead of Pearl Harbor, so that Stalin essentially has to battle the combined Axis powers alone.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the focus tree alt history sandbox stuff in hoi4 is entirely a result of kaiserreich being as popular as it was in hoi2. that was a mod specifically designed so that pretty much any major power could switch ideologies and factions, and so hoi4 took the same path

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The American Revolution is less interesting than the Civil War for me but I'm definitely interested just in seeing how the series evolves if nothing else

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

door slides open and a geisha is pouring tea for a tiger tank wearing a giant kimono

Rommel: Hey just got word of an Allied armada. It’s headed towards Normandy. I'm not personally antisemitic btw.
Manstein: I'll come up with a plan to stop it.
Guderian: It worked. Let's celebrate.
[Sliding doors open]
Yamamoto: Sake's on me, boys

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Total War has this problem. Very noticeable in ToB.

Depends on the game. Rome, Empire/Napoleon, Three Kingdoms, etc have battles that are smaller than reality, sometimes by a lot.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah iirc they were already designed to be low to the ground like post cannon European star forts to protect against earthquakes, so they adapted to gunpowder warfare much easier than European castles did

Interesting. The book The Gunpowder Age makes the argument about the use of rammed earth walls in China being a reason why they never developed large cannons/artillery. Since the walls were so much thicker and resistant to shock than European fortifications, breeches during sieges almost never happened and so when they did develop gunpowder they mostly stuck to anti-personnel uses instead of anti-fortification.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"JFK Simulator" makes me think of JFK Reloaded

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Endman posted:

This guy explains it better than I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLZTFh-TGXE

according to historians nothing ever happened everything is just constantly changing towards itself

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Could be quite good but it does look a little overly dramatized compared to the more grounded Band of Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hate them too. I'm playing a video game, I want graphics not little squares and x's.