Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Norm Koger might make great games, but drat if this isn’t the most 90’s wargamer poo poo

IIRC that company was sold to Russian mafiosi and the games aren't playable anymore

I've heard good things about Steam and Iron / Rule the Waves but I cannot stand not simply being able to buy the game direct from Steam

John Tiller is probably the most approachable version of the naval games, but the damage modeling is a little too basic and the fleet orders get broken up as soon as you issue orders to anyone but the lead ship. Maybe the later patches under Wargame DS have improved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The date is August 9, 1862. George McClellan's campaign to attack Richmond through the Virginia Peninsula has failed. Although the Army of the Potomac remains intact, having successfully defended itself at Malvern Hill a month prior, 'Little Mac' has decided to abandon the effort, and his troops are slowly boarding transports to sail back north.

The Army of Virginia (not to be confused with the Confederate's Army of Northern Virginia, now officially under Robert E. Lee) has been handed over to Major General John Pope, in the hopes that he might have a little less of McClellan's timidity. Pope would eventually be too aggressive, to a fault, but that's a tale, and a battle, for another day.

Today, we are looking at Cedar Mountain:

You are looking at the 1st and 2nd Division of the 2nd Corps of the Army of Virginia. The corps is lead by Maj Gen Nathaniel P Banks, and represents the vanguard of Pope's army, as it waits to merge with the Army of the Potomac.

Somewhere in the wilderness beyond are the forces of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson, and we are going to find him.

[I am playing with Fog-of-War off, which will ruin the surprise somewhat, but I've found it's easier to deliver a narrative when you see the whole battlefield, even if it's also a gigantic advantage]

The 2d Brigade of the 2d Division goes first, forming into column and moving down the Culpeper Road.

1st Bde (green) and 3d Bde (yellow) of the 2d Div follow suit.

Going over to the 1st Division, which only has two brigades, they start moving towards Culpeper Road as well.

As of this screenshot I've turned on the "brigade colors" option, which puts that small colored stripe on the left-hand side of the unit icon. It's important to keep your brigades together, because there's a penalty if brigades from different divisions are stacked together.

We also have three cavalry regiments to the north, and one to the south, and we're going to be sending them around the flanks to probe for the enemy. We technically don't need to do this because again, fog-of-war is off, but I'm comitting to the bit.

___

What is our plan?

There's just the one objective hex on this map - I'm thinking we can take it, and hold a line there. It's going to be dangling all the way out by itself, but the cornfield will provide a little cover for half a brigade, and since our rifle muskets have a range of four hexes, we can have troops on the ridge/slope of Culpeper Road while still being able to support the lead brigade.

Ditto for our batteries, which will be able to rain down hell on anyone trying to move on the Gate.

I have no idea if this will work, but I am working off the principle of taking good ground where we can, while leveraging the objective hex to force the enemy to come to us, when our artillery has good fields of fire.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

Speaking of the civil war, UG: Civil war is really nice and fun even though the campaign aspect of it is severely barebones.

The scenarios are quite good. I played the Battle of Fair Oaks last week and it was very authentic. Like being in a Jeff Shaara novel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

Are you going to deploy troops on the road itself or use it as a way of shuttling troops to and from the frontline. If units can fight without too many penalty in the forest hexes you could set the wheat field as a killing ground with massed musket fire.

the forest is actually excellent cover, so being IN a forest while you get to shoot out is great, but it's complete crap for movement and visibility. I don't want to just march into the forest directly, so we're proceeding along the road since it's much faster, then spreading out to deploy once we make contact.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 2

[turns are 20 minutes long in John Tiller's Civil War Battles series, so the time is now 20 minutes past high noon]

As the 102d New York crests the ridge over Culpeper Road, they spot four rebel regiments in the distance.

The rest of the 2d Bde of Charles Augur's 2d Division rush down to take the Gate objective hex. Only the 102d (you can't see them, but they're under the flag) has enough movement to be able to form into Line formation, with the rest still in column as they march into the cornfields.

And then the divisional artillery, 30 guns in all split into batteries of six each, move to take overwatch positions along the side of the road.

Here's a shot of the map if you select one of the batteries and turn on "Visible Hexes" mode, which shades all other hexes that cannot be seen from the unit's current position. As you can... see, they have a field of fire that can cover the Confederates as they approach our line. Elevation means it's not perfect - they can't shoot as the enemy gets right up to us, but hopefully we'll be able to repel them before then.

Also, our guns are still limbered, and will need at least one more turn to unlimber, and rotate to face properly.

The 3d Bde of the 2d Division follows suit. It's too early for them to deploy just yet, but I'm thinking they're going to form my left flank, forming a line along the south side of the cornfield.

The three brigades of the 1st Division follow suit, but at this point the road is blocked-off enough that not a lot of progress is actually made.

[real Tiller-heads will know that a lot of these games revolve around moving units along roads, and optimizing for which units go through which roads, which units should go first, finding alternate roads, and deploying in time to engage in combat]

In double-checking our objectives, it turns out there's another objective hex to the northwest, well out of the way. I send our cavalry to secure it.

And finally our other cavalry unit to the south continues on their reconnaissance.

During the inter-turn, Johnny Reb advances in line formation, comes to within rifle range of the 102d NY, and opens fire, inflicing one casualty.

The battle is joined, gentlemen!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

What's stopping the rebels from just charging at the flag? Most of the defensive line is still in columns and deploying.

an infantry unit should have 8 movement points, and moving along the road while in Column costs one point per hex, so it should theoretically have been possible to move adjacent to the 102d NY and still have 3 movement points left over

however, the 102d NY was in Line (even if the rest of the brigade was still in Column), so charging into melee, in column*, when the enemy is in Line, and has not yet been "Fatigued" nor "Disrupted", would likely have lead to a bad result

___

* in the Civil War series, being in Column is purely for movement and is always a disadvantage in combat, whereas it might have some melee-related benefits when playing in the Revolutionary France/Napoleonic era

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Is that JTS Civil War?

It is, yes. Specifically the Antietam game, which covers that, plus 1st and 2nd Bull Run, with Cedar Mountain being a pregame scenario to the latter.

I figured we might start with a smaller, 21-turn scenario before I move on to the big leagues.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo it's like Pruitt-Igoe: The Game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 3

For our first move, our five batteries orient themselves to face southwest, and then unlimber, giving them a clear field of fire in front of the Gate objective.

Artillery cannot fire on the same turn that they have moved/unlimbered, and so we won't get to use them until the next turn.

[question: do you find it better to color-code the map markings against the brigade color in question, or should I just use red/green/whatever colors are more visible?]

Henry Prince's brigade forms into line formation, and the 102d NY returns fire against advancing Virginians, inflicting eight casualties. None of the other regiments are in range, so that's all the shooting for this turn.

Additional context posted:

The 102d NY, as of this turn, has 591 men in the regiment, and is considered at 99% of its full strength. Their rifle muskets have a range of 4 hexes, and they're classified as a "D" quality regiment (where A is the best, and E is the worst).

We have a couple of regiments in the 1st Division that only have a 2-hex range on their fire, reflecting that they're only using smoothbore muskets.

The two rebel regiments that the New Yorkers fired upon were the 42nd Virginia, a C-quality regiment with 2-hex smoothbores, and the 1st Virginia Irish battalion, another C-quality unit with 4-hex rifle-muskets. You wouldn't know this if fog-of-war were on, but I'm revealing the information to provide a contrast to what our own units are like.

Most of our units are C- and D-grade troops, though the batteries are B-grade, and so are the 2nd Massachusetts and the 3rd Wisconsin, though they're all the way in the back.

Brigadier General George Green's 3d Brigade moves up and forms the right flank of our position, along the cornfield. The troops have not have had time to deploy into line formation yet.

The 1st Division and its three brigades march down Culpeper Road and near the forward edge of battle. I am not quite sure where these troops will go - I am thinking I may extend the line farther to the east, past the cornfield, with one brigade held in reserve.

Our cavalry to the north continue their ride, seizing the loose objective hex along the way.

Our cavalry to the south rides around near the Crittenden House, and spots another rebel force on the opposite side of the patch of woods across from the cornfield.

We end the turn.

During the interturn, the rebels advance, and there's a hot exchange of fire.

Notably, our cavalry unit is shot at, takes five casualties, and immediately routs.

On the infantry side, we come out ahead, taking 7 casualties to the Confederates's 42.

We have two full brigades bearing down on us, lead by Brigadier General Jubal Early, under the divisional command of Major General Richard S. Ewell. However, we have well-sited artillery, and I feel confident about our position.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tekopo posted:

Are casualties in the game actual casualties (ie, one casualty equals exactly one person) or are they more abstract than that?

They're exactly that. The game will specifically read-out that a regiment has precisely 349 men or whatever, and when the combat results say "2 men" as casualties, the count will be reduced to 347 men. As well, all of the combat calculations will factor in the number of men firing to determine its effectiveness (i.e., the fewer men, the less damaging the fire, all other things being equal).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Computer Gaming World had rumors of a game in the 90s of a wargame that would model the entire Eastern Front at the company level

It fell through and didn't get made, and the closest we ever got was Fire In The East, which is still only regimental

... Someday

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 4

First, our five artillery batteries ring out, aiming at two of the rebel regiments closest to the Gate, and three of the orange-colored regiments further to the south.

We then unleash rifle-fire on Johnny Reb, and inflict serious casualties, while taking some of our own.

Context posted:

Whenever a unit takes casualties, it gets checked for Disruption, which is a random roll, based on the Quality and the Fatigue-level of the unit, to see if it will become Disrupted.

Disrupted units cannot attack in melee, fire less effectively, and are akin to Routing.

When a disrupted unit takes casualties, it gets checked for Routing, which is when a unit runs away. True to this era, routs can cause adjacent units to also rout, so sometimes you can end up breaking an entire line when a single rout "chains" into the whole brigade or division, especially with low-quality troops.

Because of the way this works, you generally to spread your fire around as much as possible, in order to trigger as many Disruption and Rout checks as you can across the entire line, and then only "double-up" on shooting a unit that's already been shot, if you've already shot at as many units as you can.

The rest of George Green's brigade (in gray) forms up into line formation and takes up the rest of the edge of the cornfield, while I've decided that Geary's brigade (in black) will pass behind them and will attempt to take positions on that small hillock. That will anchor our line from woods to woods, and give us clear fields of fire against Early's orange brigade.

Sam Crawford's brigade (in green) forms up right behind the Gate as a reserve, Gordon's brigade (in blue) moves up behind the cornfield as a reserve along that part of the line, and our second set of divisional artillery has to detour around before it can set-up on the higher elevation.

Our cavalry continue their flanking movement and spot some Confederate supplies that we might be able to raid next turn, but otherwise have not found anything else yet.

After the inter-turn, some good news and some bad news.

The rebel brigade in brown, on the road to the Gate, we managed to induce to retreat.

However, Early's brigade has come up right into our lines, and while we get one full turn of hitting them with a hail of gunfire, we might get a melee assault if we don't rout them here.

Also, we see another two brigades coming up from the south - Trimble's brigade, in red, Quality B, and the Stonewall Brigade, Quality A, in green.

Casualties:
from the start of Turn 4, to the beginning of turn 5 (i.e. just after the Confederates have taken their turn),
we took 43 casualties
and the rebels took 237 casualties

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

How feasible is it to shoot the enemy off their position in ACW battles?

in open ground, it is very possible

if you have artillery, so much the better

if the enemy is well dug-in, trenches, abatis, woods, and so on, you will need to resort to hand-to-hand combat

my experience with the game is that it encourages what the generals at the time called the offensive-defensive: taking good ground, and then forcing the enemy to come to you, because it is a LOT harder to be on the offensive (as it has always been in most warfare, but especially so here)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 6

We direct our artillery first. Our batteries do not have visibility on Early's men that are right up against the cornfield, so we spread the fire around to the Stonewall brigade in the rear, and Early's Virginians that are just short of our lines.

And our four remaining batteries haul themselves up the hill, unlimber, and face towards the enemy. They'll be coming into action on the next turn.

quote:

* from here on out, when I say "left", I will be referring to the left-hand side of the monitor, and correspondingly to the right, and not left-or-right as it pertains to the facing of the lines, to minimize confusion.

We pour fire on the Georgia regiment that's come up to the cornfield. Hopefully they will break during the inter-turn.

Geary's brigade marches up and takes the hill to the west of Mitchell Station Road, but it just so happens that the two lead regiments, the 7th and 66th Ohio, are both only using smoothbores, so the rebels are out of range of their firearms. We may need to "swap" with the 5th and 29th Ohio behind them.

Gordon's and Crawford's brigades deploy into line and form a second layer of troops.

We disperse our cavalry in the west, and they find that the Confederates are bringing up two batteries along Culpeper Road. It may come down to an artillery duel!

After the inter-turn:

Stonewall's brigade advances right behind Early, while Trimble's brigade comes up on the south end of our line, facing the Ohioans.

Early's Virginians attack into the cornfield and displace the 78th New York, who are Disrupted and are reduced to just over half their number (now down to 249 men, 62% of full strength), but fortunately they do not rout just yet.

Can we throw them back?

Casualties

Union Infantry: 227 total (+166 from last turn)
Union Cavalry: 5 total

Confederate Infantry: 638 total (+351 from last turn)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my reasoning is that I'm playing defense, so it's better to spread out such that only one regiment takes it on the chin at any one time, and then I still have fresh troops right behind

I can stack, if I wanted to, but it comes at the expense of heavier casualties, because losses are increased if a hex is more "full" of men

those reserve brigades are almost certainly going to take action this next turn

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do you all remember the close combat series? I used to love playing the WW2 ones when I was a kid. What happened to that series?

They were updated and rereleased

https://store.steampowered.com/app/936530/Close_Combat_Last_Stand_Arnhem/

That's the update for Close Combat 2, A Bridge Too Far, which is the best in the series

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know how to explain this, but I think covid is destroying nice militaria, wargaming and model making. We’ve talked about John Tiller (JTS) and Christopher Dean (NWS), but I keep hitting dead URLs and obituaries for some of these old wargame designers, amateur historians and militaria writers.

John Tiller died of brain cancer IIRC, but we need to put up a hermetic seal around Gary Grigsby until he can do the War in the West + East merged megagame

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Bridge at Son still gives me nightmares. You fight your way through town then you get to the bridge map and you only have 30 seconds before the Germans blow it and there's nothing to do but cry.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 7

Our artillery does NOT have line-of-sight to the Confederate assault on our center, so we direct our fire to the next best thing.

The rebels having outmaneuvered our artillery siting notwithstanding, the 15th Alabama at the southern end of our line loses 91 men under the combined fire of seven batteries.

The Purnell Maryland Legion and the 1st District Columbia regiment, with Brig. Gen. Greene leading the charge, fires their rifle muskets, then charges Jubal Early's Virginians, and throws them back.

quote:

Having a leader stacked with a regiment provides a bonus to rolls to remove Disruption, pass Rout checks, and recover from being Routed. Having a leader stacked with a melee assault also grants a bonus to one's chances.

But it comes with the possibility of the leader dying, which can cost a lot of victory points, especially higher-ranked leaders.

I shuffle around some of our troops to make sure fresh ones at the forefront, and the Disrupted regiments can recover at the back.

On our left, we continue firing where we can.

On our right, the Ohioans of Geary's brigade pour fire on the advancing Alabamans. Those are still the smoothbore-wieldiing troops - the range has closed so there's no utility to shuffling around to the rifle-muskets, but the latter do form into line.

Finally, I pull our cavalry back up the road - it's too hot for them to really do anything, and they've done all the scouting I need for now.

After the inter-turn:

Trimble's 15th Alabama routs after taking tremendous losses, and the two other regiments in the brigade retreat.

Johnson's brigade (all the way on the western edge, in brown) has regrouped, and looks like is going to take another attack at The Gate.

Early's troops and the Stonewall brigade are now mixed-in with each other, and they're right up against our center, but no assaults were launched this turn.

As a treat, here's a shot of what the game looks like if you use the "3D" view.

Casualties

Union Infantry: 351 total (+124 from last turn)
Union Cavalry: 9 total (+4 from last turn)

Confederate Infantry: 1,045 total (+407 from last turn)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Battle of Cedar Mountain, turn 8

We begin this turn with an artillery bombardment, but again, we do not have LOS to the center of our line, so we're forced to take shots at regiments much further away.

On the left, on the 102d NY is in a position to open fire.

In the center, we unleash multiple volleys on the Confederates. Our troops here are undisrupted, so it is my hope that they will hold into the next turn.

On the right, our smoothbore-armed troops trade-off with the regiments with rifle-muskets, and they're able to catch the Stonewall brigade in an enfilade fire.

After the inter-turn:

Johnson's brigade, which was menacing our left, pulls back once more.

We see three new brigades advancing on us - Taliaferro (yellow), Thomas (green, different from the Stonewall brigade's bright green), and Hays (cyan). We even exchange fire with two of them as they advance on our lines.

Early and the Stonewall brigade both launch an assault on our center, but the men hold.

Unfortunately, we do lose an officer: Brig Gen A. S. Williams, commanding the 1st Division, is killed in the fighting; BG G. H. Gordon is elevated to command the Division, and a generic "Replacement Leader" takes over for Gordon's 3d Brigade. It costs us 16 VP for having lost Williams, and the Replacement Leader is a grade-D leader (where Williams and Gordon are at least grade-C).

Casualties

Union Infantry: 494 total (+143 from last turn)
Union Cavalry: 9 total
One Union leader

Confederate Infantry: 1,447 total (+402 from last turn)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How is EU nowadays? Can you just play it straight / by-ear and react to the game as it progresses or do you need a guide.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Does anyone have experience with the AEGOD games? I was thinking of trying either Field of Glory Empires or To End All Wars but Steam reviews are all over the place.

To End All Wars is too large for the engine

Alea Jacta Est, Thirty Years War, Rise of Prussia are the sweet spots

Revolution Under Siege and Civil War 2 also work, but is pushing it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Civ 4 needs an HD remake so drat bad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

John Charity Spring posted:

Civilization IV: Colonization... it loving sucked to play too

it's unbelievable how simple the concept was and yet how badly they hosed up the implementation

actually, the other game that needs to be remade is Merchant Prince 2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

If you were to pick up a submarine study sim, is Silent Hunter III w GWX, Silent Hunter 4 w either Operation Monsun Dark Waters or Knights of Sea Depths II, Silent Hunter 5 with Wolves of Steel or UBOAT the better bet?

I need something that takes a lot of mental bandwidth to blow off steam, so as long as there’s documentation they can be as rivet counting as possible, I just have no idea which ones have good interfaces and as few bugs as possible.

I haven't touched Silent Hunter modding since at least 2013, but SH4 is the most straightforward because it just installs straight from Steam and it Just Works right off the bat with Windows 10, but SH5 is just a qualitatively worse experience unless there's some huge mod out there

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of HOMM, I remember during the early days of the internet that one of the first ways to apply some kind of strategic analysis to the game was to take the total amount of creatures that could be hired from any given town, per week, and then add up all of their collective HP into one big total, and then get a metric of "total HP per week", as well as "HP-per-gold", where higher would be better

for example

at a Castle, every first day of the week, you would get:

14 Pikemen - 10 HP per unit, 60 gold to recruit one
9 Archers - 10 HP per unit, 100 gold to recruit one
7 Griffins - 25 HP per unit, 200 gold to recruit one
4 Swordsmen - 35 HP per unit, 300 gold to recruit one
3 Monks - 30 HP per unit, 400 gold to recruit one
2 Cavaliers - 100 HP per unit, 1,000 gold to recruit one
1 Angel - 200 HP per Angel, 3,000 gold to recruit one

added together, that's 1,035 HP worth of creatures
and it would all cost 10,540 gold, or you'd be getting 0.09819 HP per 1 gold

[this is not yet including all the various upgrades to increase growth, or the higher HP/cost of upgraded creatures, but lets keep it simple to demonstrate the point]

compare this to the Conflux:

20 Pixies - 3 HP per unit, 25 gold to recruit one
6 Air Elemental - 25 HP per unit, 250 gold to recruit one
6 Water Elemental - 30 HP per unit, 300 gold to recruit one
5 Fire Elemental - 35 HP per unit, 350 gold to recruit one
4 Earth Elemental - 40 HP per unit, 400 gold to recruit one
2 Psychic Elemental - 75 HP per unit, 750 gold to recruit one
2 Firebirds - 150 HP per unit, 1,500 gold to recruit one

added together, that's 1,175 HP worth of creatures
and it would all cost 11,650 gold, or you'd be getting 0.10085 HP per 1 gold

so not only does the Conflux get more "raw meat" every week, they also get it cheaper

this is sort of a simplistic analysis, since it avoids all sorts of special abilities, ranged attacks, flying, etc., but it's a kind of an economic/production-based lens where even if the Castle player is cleverer or that their Archers and Monks can shoot the mostly-melee Elementals from a distance, that can only go so far before the sheer weight of numbers starts to tell

this also calls to mind the on-release, pre-Armageddon's Blade version of HOMM3, where the Angels had a base growth of 2, and did not need gems to be recruited, which at the time made them far-and-away the best town (until, of course, the Conflux arrived, which basically blew all the other towns out of the water)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo Warlords 3 Darklords Rising got a gog.com release in 2019 and I only found out about it now

I know what I'm going to be playing tomorrow

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cold War Gone Hot strategy game alert:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1109680/Regiments/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

microprose is still around???

I don't know who in this company is still the same folks from the 1990s, but they only came back very recently, like within the last three years, but apparently it's still the same company because they're distributing some of the older Microprose games

definitely it's in the same spirit, given the games that they're tackling today

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Regiments is really, really good. It looks a bit like Wargame, but it isn't Wargame. It's a distinct thing.

The main thing about it is "operations". A really cool mutli-map, staged mission system that works really well. You fight under a time limit and try to push forward, positions of your and enemy troops stay inbetween, but based on capture points you get resources to repair, call in reinforcements, or build emplacements. Emplacements themselves are contextualized as things like dug-in BRDMs with Malyutkas, rather than a bunker appearing out of nowhere.

I assume the reds are fully playable and supported?

I've got a bone to pick with Wargaming Assumptions About Soviet Doctrine and Equipment Based on the Ukraine War

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

I love those games but I feel my old man reflexes really impact my ability to play against other people in multiplayer.

Regiments is single-player only ;)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I bounced off Emperor hard because it always felt like you were messing up the Feng Shui meter when placing buildings and my sense of consistency couldn't take just disregarding it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've had a thesis rolling around in my head for years about why Pharaoh, specifically, was the best of all the Impressions city-builders.

Caesar III had the basic formula down, but it didn't have roadblocks, which were such a critical aspect of how the game worked with its randomly-wandering service providers that you can never go back without it. Further, the victory conditions were all basic prosperity metrics, which were fine, but could have been better.

___

Pharaoh not only introduced roadblocks, but also introduced monuments, which are such a great way to be able to express victory in a city-builder, far more than simply "house 10,000 people" or "have 10 resplendent residences".

___

By the time you get to Zeus, they solve one of Pharaoh's problems*, but introduce a second tier of housing just for military troops that's extremely finicky when it comes to Desirability, and they start getting just a little too clever with their scenario design, like the later Thebes missions where your city has zero basic goods it can produce, which means everything has to be traded for, and your only value add is buying raw materials from one city, processing it, and then selling the finished goods to another city. This theoretically works, but the trade controls are so narrow and it's so easy to kill your finances that it was more of a pain than a cool gimmick challenge.

___

And then, as I'd mentioned, Emperor doubles-down on the finicky-ness yet again, by introducing Feng Shui, and then also importing Cleopatra's penchant for timed missions.

In essence, Pharaoh is the "goldilocks" of the series, stopping just before there were too many things bolted on to the basic idea.

___

* Pharaoh's one arguable weakpoint is hiring workers: buildings will send out white-garbed walker NPCs, and they need to pass by a house, any house, in order to tap into the population and hire staff. This means that you can't quite make 100% isolated industrial sectors, especially when it comes to worker camps near monuments; you still had to put down at least a single hut so the buildings could have access to labor. Zeus did get rid of this, allowing buildings to draw from the populace as long as it was linked via road, no matter how far apart, but then Zeus comes with everything else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Nebuchadnezzar is pretty much a "we wanted to remake Pharaoh but we don't have the rights so here's something else WINK WINK". Strong recommend if you want to check out the genre.

Children of the Nile was a late entry to the city-builder genre after it had peaked - it was one of the first games to utilize increased computational power to model individuals on a one-to-one basis, where each individual citizen would live out their life. The primary flaw was that they could never get the reproduction and the economic model quite right, which is sort of a shame because the economy was built on food as the basic item of barter, and everything else flowed out from being able to make good harvests so that you had a properly circulating market.

[this dovetails into what Danann said about how anyone deep into these games essentially interacts with a quasi-Marxist view of political economy, because you literally can't have it work any other way]

I'm not familiar with the rest of those.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mandoric posted:

I've put around 200 tracked hours into this, and probably twice as much into out-of-engine planning and discussing.

When it actually clicks and you understand and engage with all the systems, it's extremely engaging; as the name implies the game part is essentially an autarkhy simulator, where the goal is to touch the "normal" city builder pay-cash-for-ploppable play as little as possible and instead build out with solely local labor and as many local materials as possible. (Right now there are some points early on where you can't do so, but the next patch is supposed to cover those last few "need a resource to extract more of that resource" blockers.) This does make it a bit slow and deliberate at points.

The catch is that, in the fine tradition of high-quality eurojank, the systems are decently balanced and afford a lot of opportunity for improvement but you've got to figure them out and memorize them yourself. Much of the layout of your towns depends on chains of building going down in a particular order and with particular amounts of free space around them for later expansion; these orders can at least be mirrored but to discover that there's a "mirror building" key you have to pay close attention in the keybinds menu; storages are optional but near-vital and complicate layout further; some buildings push, some pull, and some do neither which is flagged nowhere in the UI; and a number of the services (education, crime, and loyalty in particular) are implemented in a way where they don't gate anything you can see in the UI but the penalties for ignoring them build exponentially and you can brick a start by putting them off a little too long. Some of the services just aren't touched on in the UI at all, orphans are apparently a thing that is tracked but I hadn't noticed the orphanage building tucked away in the ancillary parts of the schools category until my current run. All resource extractors are valid worksites, but some actually require labor and in others any human contribution is overshadowed by machines. The ratio math gets extremely don't-even-try; a logging camp working at full bore supplies, IIRC, 401 chemical plants, for example. And there are of course no general range overlays for anything, just an overlay on initial placement showing connections that will work; you've got to keep in mind, say, that some factories self-heat and will never show a red line to the heat exchanger, while others don't and if they aren't showing a red line on placement will tank their workers' health.
The fairly deserved joke in the thread in Games is that they not only made a communism simulator, but for added veracity they made it unplayable without the tutelage of a vanguard party.

And you definitely have to be able to, psychologically, deal with having slack in a way that the rest of the genre tries to optimize away. Workers prefer to, well, work, and even if you don't need and can't even store any more steel, you'd better be holding hardbass breakdance competitions in the break room every day so those 500 people don't sit at home resentfully unemployed and drinking. Conversely, you're going to need steel to build a lot of things, so even if you only have the people to put 50 to work building the full-sized steel mill is often better than trucking it in from the border. Commutes need to be short enough to deal with winter snow slowing traffic. Factories almost require added storages for their inputs so a single missed shift due to illness at the daycare doesn't result in a refinery worker staying home to watch the kids, resulting in a fuel shortage, resulting in a bus waiting at the gas station, resulting in the whole coal mine missing a shift, resulting in the district heating plant shutting down, resulting in the entire town freezing to death.

So that 200 tracked hours is, to be fair, around 1 in 2019-2020, 5 in 2020-2021, and the remaining 194 in the past year after I put the extra discussing and planning in. :v: But once I stopped having to fight the game, it's quite rewarding, with the pace meaning there's always something to plan around or watch being done rather than the SCitis of eventually just slopping extra zones on and tweaking later.
Holy poo poo this rules extremely. A communism simulator that needs literal central planning

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo that Augustus mod looks incredible. I gotta try that out today.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
trip report on Augustus:

* it's dead-simple to download and install

* yes, it has roadblocks. Holy poo poo. You can construct fully contained housing blocks now! incredible!

* it even has global labor pool, that thing that even Pharaoh didn't have that took until Zeus to be implemented. fantastic!

* there are overlays for the range/reach of wells and reservoirs for the water supply. wow!

* the UI panel on the right-hand side has been expanded to include an unemployment indicator

I was able to blast through the first two missions of the campaign in about 20 minutes

KirbyKhan you are a steely-eyed missile man for discovering this reinvigoration of the game

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 07:07 on Aug 27, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

I wonder how many economic majors have played Sim City and think that's how economies work.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

sim city’s design is based on some book on urban planning will wright read in the 80s that was influential on the hellscape single use zoning of american suburbs

so in a way

here's the full video to expound on the point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_51_YJQpeg0

"Urban Dynamics" by Jay Wright Forrester was a book written in the 1960s by a guy who decided to apply his modeling of corporate supply chains into modeling a city, and Will Wright used it as a basis for SimCity's simulation of... urban dynamics. The problem is that Forrester's work ends up being a sort of libertarian argument* where social programs are more harmful than helpful.

And it may well be coincidental that Rudy Giuliani saw his son place police stations on every street corner in SimCity to eradicate crime and figured that might be a good idea, or might also be coincidental that the Lech Kaczyński, from the right-wing Law and Justice party of Poland "won" a SimCity competition during his mayoral campaign that would eventually catapult him into the presidency, but to Danann's point, SimCity has been used a lot as a teaching tool, which is a huge problem when you're inadvertently teaching kids that cities rise out of the ground from tabula rasa or that cars are necessarily the only real way to get around and reducing traffic is merely a matter of increasingly complex Cities Skylines mods with even more intricate roadways.

___

* you can also see this in another aspect of SimCity where dropping taxes as low as possible always increases happiness.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That anecdote about how your game is going to turn to poo poo once you start cranking out cars because the game models each and every car and you'll need to start putting parking spaces everywhere is fascinating to me, because we now have the kind of computational power to render these sorts of simulations at a 1-to-1 level (with enough effort), and when you do that, suddenly all of the "assume a perfect sphere in a frictionless room" bullshit of neoclassical economics goes away and all you're left with is the immortal science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

cluster bombers are probably the better choice for massed armored formations,

This is a war crime