Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If you were to pick up a submarine study sim, is Silent Hunter III w GWX, Silent Hunter 4 w either Operation Monsun Dark Waters or Knights of Sea Depths II, Silent Hunter 5 with Wolves of Steel or UBOAT the better bet?

I need something that takes a lot of mental bandwidth to blow off steam, so as long as there’s documentation they can be as rivet counting as possible, I just have no idea which ones have good interfaces and as few bugs as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I'm curious about your opinion on Command: Modern Operations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w62JAxH4d8E It seems dope, although I find the interface with 90s Windows dropdown boxes, as well as the complexity rather intimidating.

I’ve used the PE at work and really appreciate it, though the modelling of land systems is a bit weak. I’d like to see more counter battery and ground surveillance radars, for example. PE lets you modify and change database entries, the Canadian government licensed one has our stuff use their classified capabilities, so I guess ships’ radars and ECM suites are different, but I’ve never used that. The only difference I can see is comms jamming.

I have the steam edition as well and find it really enjoyable as a modern day Harpoon. As people were saying in the Russia/Ukraine thread, UI is a pain in the rear end like in most of these games. Visual presentation is neat, but I find it so much more readable with tacview. In terms of pick up and play, I had to read the manual and run through the tutorials before I could really get into it. I did a lot of reading to understand some of the concepts and that’s really helped, a copy of Fleet Tactics and Naval Operations, Third Edition went a long way, particularly for understanding sensors and ECM.

I enjoy reading the database entries, then looking up systems in Jane’s or export catalogues, but finding out how to actually use these systems in the game is still difficult in some cases.

For me some of the larger scenarios are just too much. I’m not a Air Ops O or SWO so trying to even come up with a plan, let alone manage it, is a lot of work, and I lose control in larger scenarios quite a bit. There are some community scenarios that are more my speed, a couple ships, a handful of aircraft, that sort of thing. I often use the scenario editor to copy scenarios and then substitute units, 1:1 or doctrinally appropriate if possible, both for variety and so that I can use nations and systems I’m trying to get proficient with.

The best thing about the game for me is the Quick Battles. It’s a clever feature that makes it so much more usable for me. More on them here. I like them so much that I started to learn the HTML UI to make copies that I could modify to include units I want rather than trying to make scenarios from scratch. It’s great, and I highly recommend both stock scenarios and trying to make your own.

For example, I took Yankee Station, the US carrier aircraft Quick Mission over Vietnam, changed the target locations to the west coast of Korea and the dates to the Korean War. Then, I researched Task Force 95, missions flown by the RN and RAN, their aircraft and carriers, DPRK defences, and started changing the HTML of a copy of Yankee Station line by line. Eventually I had a great scenario for Sea Furys and other Naval Air Arm aircraft over Korea, expanded it a bit more for Task Force 77 and USMC and USN carriers and aircraft, eventually the Marine Nationale too. I accidentally deleted it during a reinstall and haven’t recreated it, but it’s on my to-do list, if I can get it to a standard I like I’ll post it on the forum and with any luck it might get picked up by someone with more talent to polish it and to the Quick Battle list like Yankee Station was.

What I try to do with a massive and intimidating game like this is find a very narrow focus, do a bunch of research and keep at it until I can use that one force well, as close to doctrine as I can. It lets me really understand how sensors, weapons, ECM etc. work by using the same set over and over again. I decided to use the French Navy of the 60’s and 70’s. That meant adding them into Quick Battles and modifying scenarios to substitute them, which makes sense as it’s an overlooked period and force, but through repetition I got a handle of the SH-34G, SA.321G Super Frelon, PB4Y-2B Privateer, F-8E(FN) Crusader , Colbert and Malafon, which I wouldn’t have otherwise used. I figured if I can get the French Navy to fight like the French Navy, switch it out in all of the stock and community scenarios in the 60’s and 70’s I can find, I’ll get a handle on the game. I’m having a lot of fun with it, and that project is also how I learned to edit the HTML files, use the scenario editor, understand the radar and sonar models. If you use the same sonar every single time, in a bunch of different scenarios, you start to really understand how sonar works in the simulator, in my experience.

I understand people might get bored of, say the Type 47 ASW Mod, Surcouf Class or Commandant Riviere frigate, but by using them in every scenario where there are surface ships and subs in the 60’s and 70’s, understanding their radar, sonar, ESM and weapons, I feel like I learned a lot more about how the simulator works as well as the concepts, doctrine and limitations.

I’d recommend this, but it’s not for everyone and the scenarios that come with the game, DLC or from the community are all great. The side effect for me is that I would never be able to get schools of fish, whales, civilian and neutral shipping to work if I made a scenario from scratch, but I can research the French Navy, have a bunch of templates, delete a side from a scenario and start substituting them in.

Other than all that, I think I’ve had more fun at times in Jutland Pro or Cold Waters. I know the visual element isn’t a requirement, and I loved Harpoon, but comparing Tacview to Sea Power isn’t really close. Considering there’s also Rule the Waves, War on the Sea, Task Force Admiral, if I want to have fun and putter around I’ll take up one of those, and if I want to read a chapter of Fleet Tactics and test my understanding I’ll play CMO.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You also have to compare CMO to it’s predecessors, like John Tiller’s Modern Air Power and Naval Campaigns, both of which border on incomprehensible by modern standards. CMO does everything they do better, and with a more readable and usable interface.

CMO doesn’t have Tsushima or Jutland, and probably wouldn’t cover those periods well, but for anything more contemporary it’s a huge step up.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

guidoanselmi posted:

Makes me nostalgic for my childhood. I had 4 and played Battle of Mers-el-Kebir scenario for like a month on repeat

I just wish someone would go through and fix up the UI of these old games because the level of detail, research and simulation is genuinely impressive, I just hate playing them. Same goes for Norm Kroger’s games. I feel like I’m fighting against the UI to play Jutland Pro, JTS Naval Campaigns Jutland or Steam and Iron: The Great War at Sea. I’ve been using cardboard - Avalanche’s Jutland - to visualize problems when I read through The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command, because any of the other choices make actually following what’s going on more difficult even though that can simulate way more than a board game.

It’s frustrating. Computer games should be the better way to represent the problems at Jutland, they model every shell, the weather, space and time, in ways that boardgames can’t, but I can read and solve the problems on the board much more easily.

Steam and Iron:

JTS Jutland:

Jutland Pro:

Avalanche’s Jutland:

Plus there’s a Battle Analysis Book, which is exactly what I need.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

it's somewhat of an absurd game to play because of the complexity and attempt to approximate the subject matter, as anyone here playing it would be the equivalent of giving children the keys to the ICBMs. i suppose that's the fun of it, but it's also not really "realistic" if that's what the designers were going for.

I agree. Some of the Desert Storm scenarios in particular, I have no idea how I’m supposed to learn how to use U-2s, B-52s, USAF and USN AWACS, Rivet Joint, tankers and whatever else, all at once, without being introduced to using any one of those properly.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

AnimeIsTrash posted:

can the mods rename this thread to games only guys who haven't seen their penis in years play

I believe the word is “Grumblers”.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Norm Koger might make great games, but drat if this isn’t the most 90’s wargamer poo poo

Obviously the pack name, but also using his own launcher instead of Steam, not offering his games on GOG, the UI, and the pricing.

Thank God Slitherine and Mircroprose are saving these guys from themselves.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RTW 3 is coming to Steam this fall. Christopher Dean died around the same time as John Tiller. I’m pretty sure I heard both died of covid but I don’t remember where. Once the estate was settled Bill Miller got permission to work with Slitherine or Microprose, I forget, on a steam release.

Combat Mission is on Steam now too. Strange times.

e: Thoughts on Victoria at Sea Pacific vs War on the Sea? I’d use the realism megamods for either, I’m just unsure about which to pick.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Jul 28, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

:same: I avoid big scenarios in CMO for just this reason. I can't manage an entire invasion at once.

But even in the smaller scenarios it can be tough, like the submarine ones. This is something I can get down with all day in Janes 688i, Dangerous Water, or Cold Waters, but when I need this one particular unit to perform at a high level it all breaks down because I can't manage the minute to minute for them and so they're inevitably going to be detected pretty much no matter what I do. There's a mission to approach Iran and fire missiles, but even the modest ASW fleet between me and there is more or less no go no matter how deep and slow I run.

I wish CMO had scenarios to demonstrate how each type of equipment at each time period works. The tutorials are in the 2010’s and then you get thrown into a 1960’s scenario where submarines are modernized WW2 boats with hydrophones and straight run torpedoes.

I had to teach myself how to play Cold War scenarios and even then only France, and still not comfortable with all of their equipment because for example the air recon tutorial uses a F-14 with a state of the art recon pod, side scan radar and whatever else, and the Vautour has… cameras.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is that JTS Civil War?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

GMT is working on a game that might be cool for CSPAM but I want to pick your brains about it:

Cross Bronx Expressway

Cross Bronx Expressway is the third game in the Irregular Conflicts Series. It simulates the socio-economic processes of urban development, and the human costs that result, as a competitive city-builder with collective loss conditions. Players control one of three asymmetric factions working in the South Bronx between 1940 and 2000, pursuing their own goals while cooperating to keep the borough viable. Through a card driven sequence of play, they will work to solve the economic challenges facing the area by building infrastructure and organizations, forming coalitions, mitigating the multitude of issues facing the vulnerable population, and managing resources to stay out of debt. Cross Bronx Expressway offers an engaging way to learn about the recent history of American cities, as exemplified by Jane Jacobs' pivotal work The Death and Life of Great American Cities, simulated through the case study of the South Bronx. Players will experience the conflicting incentives and complex factors shaping urban life and together determine the fate of the Bronx.

During his 1980 Presidential campaign, California Governor Ronald Reagan took a tour of the South Bronx. As he walked the same streets that President Jimmy Carter had walked three years prior, what Reagan witnessed was a scene so devastating it caused him to remark that he had not "seen anything that looked like this since London after the blitz." Cross Bronx Expressway is a game about the social and economic processes that created this scene in the South Bronx and the impacts they had on the local population during the second half of the 20th Century.

These six decades, from 1940 to 2000, witnessed many major events that shook the nation and the world, including the Second World War, the Korean and Vietnam Wars, an international recession in the 1970s, and economic recovery and increased globalization during the 1980s and 1990s. Less well known, but no less impactful for the people involved, were events in the Bronx during the same period, which underwent rapid growth and demographic change in the 1940s and 1970s, suffered through the debt crises that affected the whole of New York in the 1960s and 1970s, and struggled through the 1980s towards a recovery at the end of the 1990s. This is a game about navigating all these events as a local stakeholder in the South Bronx.

Beginning in the 1940s, New York embarked upon infrastructure and urban renewal projects that would reshape the city, including the culturally rich working class neighborhoods of the South Bronx. The game takes its name from one particularly infamous infrastructure project, an expressway conceived of and championed by the city's "construction coordinator" Robert Moses, which from 1948 to 1972 gradually cut through the borough, disrupting neighborhoods and businesses alike. This, and other similar infrastructure projects, impacted the local fabric of existing communities in ways that are still having an effect to this day.

The South Bronx also underwent significant demographic, economic, and social changes during this period. The existing European immigrant population, which had watched World War II unfold from the Bronx, went on to use post-war financial incentives to leave for the suburbs. With the introduction of commercial air travel, a new wave of migrants arrived from Puerto Rico, while segregation in the South saw many African Americans moving to the area. This growing minority population led to redlining policies which restricted real estate investment. At the same time, roadway and infrastructure projects used eminent domain laws to seize property and move forward with large-scale redevelopment, often at the cost of those already living locally. Neglected housing and social services reached a boiling point in 1977, when a citywide blackout combined with looting and arson to devastate the Bronx.

Throughout this period, a wide cast of public figures would take interest in the Bronx, including Robert Moses, US Presidents like Ronald Reagan, and New York Mayors like Rudolph Giuliani. For some, the area served as a publicity prop, while others saw it as a set of statistics to be manipulated from a distance. Yet each of these manipulations, no matter how far removed, had their impact on those that were fighting for survival in the borough.

Cross Bronx Expressway models this rich history as a competitive economic city builder with collective loss conditions. Three playable factions—Public, Private, and Community—attempt to save the city from the brink of bankruptcy and protect the Bronx's vulnerable population throughout this tumultuous period, while also working to achieve their own conflicting objectives. The game progresses using a shared event deck, divided into decades. Each decade features a semi-random series of historical cards whose effects will always occur but can be manipulated by the players. The factions perform actions around these events in order to mitigate their effects, while hoping to tip the balance in their favor. Infrastructure will be built and sometimes demolished, coalitions formed and abandoned, populations housed and displaced, and the vulnerable encouraged and discarded, while each faction struggles to stay out of debt and achieve their own objectives. At the end of each decade, census numbers are tallied to determine which factions have achieved their objectives and at what cost. If they manage to keep the city afloat, each decade provides the players with new opportunities to transform the South Bronx according to their own vision, but if too many vulnerable people are lost or if the city goes bankrupt, everyone will lose. Can you cooperate better than the historical actors did and pull the South Bronx back from the brink of disaster?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

I did the P500 for it there moment I saw it.

In other news, the Fall of Saigon expansion for Fire in the Lake showed up in the mail yesterday. Maybe I'll break that in over the weekend

I’m waiting on mine.

Can you explain what’s up with the upgrade and/or AI package? They’re each like $30 and so far as I understand, update the flowchart solitaire system to a card based one?

I ordered the Sovereign of Discord too but I think that’s not being printed yet.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How feasible is it to shoot the enemy off their position in ACW battles?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CMANO devs must have read this thread:

Command Showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIz1MEIGRx0

Command Showcase is a series of scenarios that will put you in command of the most significant weapons sensors and units in the modern era with new and hypothetical theaters of war.

With these Showcase units, you will be subject to new challenges and different situations to overcome. With the huge Command database, constantly expanding and being updated, you may have to face a new challenge every time. – can you showcase their power?

Take advantage of distinct units types, Aircraft, Ships, submarines..Utilise their ammunition, sensors and weaponry to get a glorious victory.

Features:
- Complex management of the main unit
- Each scenario is centered on a weapon, sensor or unit
- Harness your allies or fight alone against the enemy
- Manage and master a single unit, sensor or weapon at a time
- Increase your skills and tactics more and more in each challenge

Your first challenge is to manage the most modern aircraft carrier in the world: the Queen Elizabeth, in a dangerous patrol in the waters of the Chinese sea.
Intelligence indicates that a number of Chinese Warships have been deployed to the South China Sea towards your location; their intentions are unknown at the present time..

e: Anyone see this? It’s like someone saw the simplicity of The Hunters and decided that analogue Silent Hunter would be more fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNB3UwF8Jw

Website, Rules.

Some of these European thematic games seem like Mousetrap for adults.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t know how to explain this, but I think covid is destroying nice militaria, wargaming and model making. We’ve talked about John Tiller (JTS) and Christopher Dean (NWS), but I keep hitting dead URLs and obituaries for some of these old wargame designers, amateur historians and militaria writers. For example, I’ve been trying to get a copy of this book:

Which, being self-published by a boomer hobbyist of course I was supposed to order by mail or email. No response by either yet. After a while, I searched online and was told to order from “specialist booksellers including John Rauscher in the US at https://www.boomersbook.com That Url is dead. Naturally, I found an obituary.

Then, I was looking for this book:

Written by an artillerymen I knew was active in the artillery association. The publisher’s site http://www.servicepub.com came up dead too, with some online chatter about the guy who ran it being sick, and while I did not find out if the author or publisher was dead, the author did turn up in one of the several RCA Association emails I get a day about members who are sick, usually with covid.

There are more examples I could link, but it’s the strangest thing because while I understood the stereotype of British Army veterans tinkering in their garden shed and Canadian vets in wood panelled basements researching the course of the Regiment, and knew there was a demographic slant, I didn’t expect covid to make it basically impossible to find much of this material anymore.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

They were updated and rereleased

https://store.steampowered.com/app/936530/Close_Combat_Last_Stand_Arnhem/

That's the update for Close Combat 2, A Bridge Too Far, which is the best in the series

:hmmyes:

By far. I must have practically worn the CD out when I was a kid. The Russian Front never came out for Mac and when I tried it as an adult was a real letdown.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

Close Combat Arnhem showed me the power of Gammon Bombs. It was also the first game I remembered showing me how vulnerable tanks were in urban combat. The tiger was a big spooky tank that ruled the battlefield until a funny coal miner threw plastic explosives on it's engine block.

Once XXX Corps arrived and you had 17 Pounders, Achilles and Firefly they were manageable, but trying to hide a para 6 Pounder well enough to get a flank shot was nerve wracking.

e: Wrt tracking individual soldiers, it’s one of my all-time favourite features that made me really invested in a campaign, and I don’t know why later games haven’t done it. I’ve told the Combat Mission and Graviteam devs it would make a huge difference if soldiers had personalities so that I can follow a soldier through the campaign, seeing a cowardly soldier win the DSO and find his courage or something. I still remember the soldiers in a Bridge Too Far who went Heroic or Berserk, even though it must have happened only two or three times in countless childhood hours.

ee: I feel like good campaigns have kind of faded generally. The new Combat Mission campaigns imo fall short of Barbarossa to Berlin, but maybe that’s because the simpler games let you have an extremely wide range of equipment and forces over the whole war. I still remember playing a Bulgarian Campaign in Barbarossa to Berlin and I haven’t seen the Minor Axis in any game since, or at least not where you pick a rifle battalion and take them through the war.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Aug 6, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

I remember the town with the flak 88 on the main where you had to rush the bridges with the americans.

Son. What’s incredible is when you read accounts from soldiers in the 101st, one thing they nearly all remember is the flak emplacement. That a game was able to recreate it, not just the geography but the lasting impression, really speaks to their credit.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

You are not supposed to capture the bridge right?

It was pre-wired for detonation and blown almost as soon as the 101st got there. It was also an iconic scene in the movie, and as I said the memoirs and Cornelius Ryan’s book, so I’d say no.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt4WdpOF4yg

e: I can’t think of any hex and counter games where I’ve captured it intact, and iirc I’ve never got it intact in Highway to the Reich nor Market Garden 44 either.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Aug 6, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I remember someone wrote a book or at least a paper going over this, but my impression is that after the Seven Years War linear warfare changed so that firing was no longer by rank or by platoon. How did it work during the ACW?

I seem to vaguely remember that the differences in America had something to do with soldiers being less drilled, which is also why there wasn’t heavy cavalry or lancers the way the Europeans put them to use in 1866 and 1871.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Does anyone have experience with the AEGOD games? I was thinking of trying either Field of Glory Empires or To End All Wars but Steam reviews are all over the place.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I keep hearing FoG:E did interesting things, and it would be great to port battles to FoG II, so maybe I’ll check it out. If it gives me more to do on the strategic layer than Imperator or Rome II, I’ll be happy. Mostly, both Paradox and CA desperately need competition. The Warhammer licence was the best and worst thing that could have happened to CA, and ditto CK II becoming huge.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I thought EU IV’s historical theory was based on National Ideas and Institutions, though the Missions system seems like they are trying to transfer that part of HoI 4. I have to say I don’t really have experience with the game, I’ve just dabbled with it.

I’d love to hear you elaborate though, I could read Paradox Inside Baseball all day. If I remember, the major factors are the mechanics have to take into account any DLC, any combination or none being used so that no mechanics really matter or really interact.

There was also a change of direction, or maybe two of them? If I remember one DLC bombed and was hated, and also possibly Johan has so thoroughly hosed things up that a new team had to try to salvage the title like happened with HoI 4, Stellaris and Imperator (RIP)? Any insight you have into Johan, his animosity towards the community and Mana, I have only seen those referred to on reddit but I’m not sure I understand all of the background. Just give the initial planning of titles to Wiz guys, come on.

Finally, who has the dirt on Vicky leaking, the Paradox devs freaking out, and their proclamation they’re disregarding feedback on the mechanics?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have more or less the opposite view because stuff like map painting, Kaiserreich epic alt history and Ulm world conquest memes have meant the games don’t have historical mechanics because they don’t aspire to historical outcomes anymore. It saps a lot of depth to make anything possible, there can’t be a representation of material conditions if the baseline idea is that material determinism is boring.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BrotherJayne posted:

Wolves of Steel being said huge mod.

Although I highly suggest modding some of the campaign objectives, being expected to sink 300k tons of poo poo in each AO is ridiculous

I must have bought it with an old uPlay account because Ubi’s DRM has me locked out and their support guys haven’t done anything despite me sending the receipts from Steam. Shame.

I’ve started a Type IX campaign in Op Monsun for SH4, and while it’s janky, until U Boat or Wolves of Steel adds that type, I suppose this is what I have to work with.

It’s too bad Ubisoft has these moments of real brilliance because I would love to write them off at this point. Even the latest AC games and Breakpoint have these touches and detail that I could see being fantastic if they weren’t tied to generic open worlds, collectothons and uPlay.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Wanna play DC:Ardennes' Wacht am Rhein scenario vs Frosted Flakes. Germans have a disadvantage in everything except number of artillery tubes but turns out if you know what you are doing you can make that count like a motherfucker.

I’m still trying to get through Warsaw to Paris and Case Blue. It’s on my list, and it looks more manageable than the Bulge scenario in War in the West or Command Ops.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KirbyKhan posted:

I watched some of the LP on that. Incomprehensible space legionaries game. Happy for it.

:psyduck:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol the un-Johan-ing continues.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The reviews mention some issues with terrain and BUA, is it the abstracted area system of Eugen games or do they model discrete buildings?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

An enthusiast who made his fortune doing computer toucher stuff went and bought the company and IP. He seems good for it given how much we’ve seen from them in the past year already

It rules

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wish they’d have Combat Mission/Steel Beasts fidelity at a larger scale, or even just a slower pace but I understand why that’s not what everybody wants from a RTS.

I’ll still give it a whirl, WARNO having some competition can only be for the best.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Has anyone played the new generation on ancient city builders? They’re always in my Steam recs but prior to this hadn’t run into anyone interested in talking about them.

The most recent one I can think of is Nebuchadnezzar, which was reviewed on Three Moves Ahead, and they seemed to really like it. Curious what you think.

Egypt: Old Kingdom is on sale right now, and of course Pharaoh: A New Era is coming out soon. I’m also curious about Children of the Nile. There are also two indie games set in classical antiquity, maybe in early access (?) but the names escape me at the moment.

Aside, the only MMO I’ve ever played is A Tale in the Desert and I hope we see more like it. There’s so much more Ubisoft could do with their game worlds, for example, and while the Discovery Tours are great, I think they should commit to using the resources of an AC game independent of them. Walking around the Ptolemaic Egypt of AC Origins was good, it would be better if it was developed with simulating a functioning society in mind.

Other than that, I haven’t tried any of the Anno games so if someone could fill me in on those, I’m curious about them. The Tropico publisher put out Grand Ages Rome, and Imperium Romanum but again, I haven’t tried them and know nothing about them.

Has anyone tried the more contemporary Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic? Rise of Industry?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What a great write-up, thanks!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Don’t let me down Wiz.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

There's a 4 hour stream on paradox's channel if you want to play hooky at work.

On it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

NWS and Matrix Games join forces to launch Rule the Waves III

biggest thing out of this partnership is that rule the waves 3 is now on steam and other digital store fronts

It happened after Christopher Dean, and I believe his wife, passed away. What a strange two years for wargaming.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I like DEI but Rome 2 has a lot of problems even in game design (unit mass, formation fighting, units can only be recruited through generals, centralized settlements) that a mod can’t fix.

Attila is better but the player count was never really there and modders (and CA!) stuck with Rome 2.
As I said it’s a shame too because I studied Late Antiquity, waited my whole life for this game, and well, I’ll play it for decades but no one else will.

Paradox and CA, I’ll add Bohemia to this list, are frustrating because they’re great and have the potential to be absolutely brilliant but somehow also make business, game design and product support decisions that are godawful on a semi-regular basis. All three are guilty of putting out games riddled with bugs, jank, and un or even counterintuitive “features”, which coupled with their post-release support is enough to drive you crazy.

Will no one rid me of this turbulent Johan and Warhammer license?!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mans posted:

Atilla, while unoptimized, was fantastic.

While a lot of factions were same-ish, there were very unique experiences to be had. Playing as the western roman empire was damage control like i've never seen on another game, Vandals or Allamani went from trying to build a modes kingdom in central europe to going "gently caress it, I'm going to Iberia", the Alans allowed you to feel like a badass nomadic faction until the bigger nomads came after you and the Huns were a genuine guerrila, survival strategy game at first until you got enough strenght to turn into a wrecking ball, although that strength could easily evaporate if you get careless and lose your leader.

And then you had the Sassanids, which according to the game was the peak of civilization, paragons of sanitation and lucrative markets, with effectively no drawbacks. They make a lot of sense when you're playing as the ERE and have to deal with this super strong rival empire, but playing as them was just a calm, smooth western push.

The Tanukhids, zealous Christian Arabs who explode out of the desert as fierce nomads was pretty cool, and a bit of a historical “what-if?”.

Byzantium and the Arabs in the Fourth Century posits that if the Greeks had been a less racist and snobby when dealing with Arabs, Armenians and other people on the periphery, embraced the universal message of Christianity, they probably could have got Arabia, and I suppose Mohammed, on side and overran the Persian Empire and near-east.

Seeing that happen in the game, or playing as them, a nomadic faction stuck between the Byzantine and Persian Empires, is really cool, and a very different experience than the nomadic factions who start in more sparsely settled regions of the map.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This rules. I hope the guy keeps at it, what an interesting angle to work from. Those books on history in popular entertainment and memory sell well, it’s a good tack for an academic. I was also told the “X and Philosophy”, like “Veronica Mars and Philosophy” books sell well and are some of the best ways for academics working in philosophy to find an audience for their essays.

There are some people like The Angry Staff Officer who have tried doing this with military science and pop culture but war movies aren’t as big culturally as they were in the 50’s-70’s and I think it would struggle to find a publisher.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Sep 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s trying to straddle the line between Steel Beasts Pro and IL-2. War Thunder, by combining pretty good simulation with multiplayer arena gameplay is basically crack for Train Enthusiasts, so I can see why they’d be paying close attention to them.