Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i've been revisting john tiller's campaign series which you know is a grognard game because the designer's name is in the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

forming communist megagermany in vicky2 and then trying to prop up revolutions in britain and france resulting in 80 million dead europeans is probably the most fun i've had in a paradox game
J O K E R M O D E

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

For me some of the larger scenarios are just too much. I’m not a Air Ops O or SWO so trying to even come up with a plan, let alone manage it, is a lot of work, and I lose control in larger scenarios quite a bit. There are some community scenarios that are more my speed, a couple ships, a handful of aircraft, that sort of thing. I often use the scenario editor to copy scenarios and then substitute units, 1:1 or doctrinally appropriate if possible, both for variety and so that I can use nations and systems I’m trying to get proficient with.
it's somewhat of an absurd game to play because of the complexity and attempt to approximate the subject matter, as anyone here playing it would be the equivalent of giving children the keys to the ICBMs. i suppose that's the fun of it, but it's also not really "realistic" if that's what the designers were going for.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i also imagine that the "professional edition" is where the studio makes most of their money anyways. their website lists the four U.S. service branches as customers, military research labs, lockheed and boeing; and the luftwaffe, the royal navy and the australian military. the civilian version is just a bonus

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
came across a recommended video because youtube knows i like rising storm 2: vietnam and...

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Jul 29, 2022

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Takanago posted:

One of the fun things about Workers & Resources is that it doesn't take any shortcuts when simulating personal automobiles which makes them an incredible pain in the rear end. So you might decide to build a fancy automobile manufacturing plant and start handing them out to your most loyal/highly educated citizens, when suddenly you realize "Oh poo poo I need a parking spot for every single one of these things." And then you have parking lots cluttering up your urban spaces. And not only that, but your road system which was built to handle buses and trucks now has to deal with all these personal cars and you go "why did we even decide to let people have their own vehicles in the first place"
:owned:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

John Charity Spring posted:

yeah there's a huge impact with even a comparatively small number of cars because they need parking spaces everywhere to be of any use. In my most recent game I tried building with an eye to limited car ownership from the beginning and found that even 100 personal cars (a statistic the game tracks and surfaces pretty prominently) in a population of 15,000 made for a traffic nightmare at previously sufficient junctions. I started having to make multi-laned roads with clearly delineated areas for buses and freight transport and lots of bypasses of particularly clogged areas, it was a mess. Public transport and pedestrian walkways work so much better and with less headache lol
can you just give a handful of cars to bureaucrats who work in the planning ministry?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

you can restrict car ownership by a number of criteria, I personally like to restrict them to college-educated citizens with high government loyalty and use them as a means to ensure that the schools, the most important buildings in the republic, remain fully staffed at all times. illiterate citizens can't work, and having elite teams of roving educators that can and will just drive out to any nearby school with a vacancy is pretty drat handy.
that's pretty cool. rapid-response high-speed teaching squads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The only HOI game I played was the second one (Darkest Hour) because I liked to organize my armies and assign generals, load them into ships, carry out encirclements, plan production lines, that sort of thing. The whole aesthetic was a pleasing experience for me.