Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pike and Shot/Sengoku Jidai/Field of Glory 2 are all pretty neat premodern tactical games; the combat takes a minute to get used to all the possible modifiers but the UI is pretty intuitive. I'd definitely recommend Unity of Command though, it's pretty decent especially on a first play and it teaches a lot of the basic ideas that more complicated wargames use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

how deep in the CIA is Volko Ruhnke

extremely funny that Andean Abyss is about how Uribe saved Colombia when last I checked he's awaiting trial for war crimes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

would be a shame if the series peaked as early as A Distant Plain, but ADP is really good IMO

ADP is probably the best in the series, though I've heard good things about Gandhi and Colonial Twilight. I also have a soft spot for the Caesar in Gaul edition

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

20 Blunts posted:

ive never tried this Victoria 2 game i saw mentioned above

can i do some sick espionage/asymmetrical warfare?

my idea of "fun" was savespotting in Rome: Total War and seeing if I could keep Egypt irrelevant by constantly spreading the plague with my agents and reloading on <10% probability assassinations until they were successful.

Alexandria to Tarsus was basically a string of sub-1000 population plague ridden poo poo holes with no infrastructure, the faction leader and faction heir just aimlessly wandering around present-day Iraq.

Vicky doesn't really have espionage but there is lots of economic bullshit. I'd honestly recommend just waiting for the sequel, v2 is an extremely interesting game that in a lot of ways just doesn't work right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Civ 3 had a bunch of weird design issues but I liked the simplicity. Civ 4 is easily the best designed one in the series. 5 has some cool new ideas but also just isn't very interesting to play. From what I heard of 6 it basically just doubled down on the bad ideas of 5

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Twilight Struggle rocks (despite being a little lib brained), it's an excellent intro to modern wargaming

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

HerraS posted:

For me personally Red Flag Over Paris has dethroned Twilight Struggle as the "babby's first ever wargame" in my collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkXnFU32Zcs

I've been meaning to get my hands on that, glad to hear it's good. TS is relatively simple but the big drawback to using it as an intro game is that 90% of the game is knowing what events are in the deck

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Found out recently that the old but recently updated Napoleonic wargame War and Peace is getting a computer version next year

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2009780/War_and_Peace/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

A Total War game with good strategic AI would be a dream. I liked nearly everything Field of Glory Empires did, and I’m excited for the Medieval sequel, but it’s not quite the same. Old World has fewer moving pieces and does a great job, but the combat in Civ and Civ-alikes isn’t for me.

Oh poo poo I was kinda interested in FoG Empires but I'm not really interested in early Rome, didn't know they were doing medieval

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

75% of EU4 is figuring out how not to get jumped by everyone at once when you start a war and the other 25% is figuring out how to win anyway

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What's the big appeal of Europa Universalis? I've tried it a few times and I just bounce off. I'm a huge fan of CK though so it might be extreme biases at work here.

It's the most straightforward of the games in its overall designs imo (except Stellaris which is perhaps too much.) HOI is a ToO&E simulator about one specific war, Vicky is about industrialism and the resulting social changes, CK is the most unique in that it's a game about people rather than states. EU4 is a game that's just about getting money and land and turning it into more money and land, but with way more stuff going on than like Civ or something- and unlike Civ more focus on higher scale decisions and diplomacy than micromanaging production. (This is part of why it's a shame they keep adding more and more bells and whistles to it). Stellaris is kinda similar but the lack of historical context and asymmetric starts mean you don't have as much grounding and the worse AI doesn't have a leg up

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Wait what? Seriously? I always just scummed outta there if I lost even a single troop.

I like new XCOM but this is probably the best description of what it's missing from the old version

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah the new XCOM didn't let you free aim guns but explosives were quite capable of blowing open walls and the heavy guns could still inadvertently blow up cover as well

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I just want to Call In Homeless Friend for this observation:

Because the Hitman guys making 007 is extremely exciting and I think they could pull off Alpha Protocol with Obsidian’s writing team. A sequel is possible we’ve seen games nail parts of what make Alpha Protocol great, just never in the same game.

This is getting a bit off topic but Hitman had shockingly good writing for what it was

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Vicky is sort of attempting to do it but the issue is that the player in a strategy game is pretty much inherently unrealistic

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The problem is that most strategy games have you playing as the zeitgeist of a nation rather than any individual actor, so you're always gonna have some weirdness. Like Vicky3 appears to be trying to model a lot of these forces but has a player consciously directing production in order to empower the groups they want. Which is fine, and it can simulate a lot of the issues, but it's never gonna be that realistic imo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ck is definitely better or at worst more interesting. There's still some weirdness, like how a player avoids title division inheritance like the plague when there are a lot of reasons that irl people would prefer it, but it puts you in a different perspective.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm watching someone explain Terra Invicta's first turn. His move is by taking over the Belgum/Luxemburg/Amsterdam region known as Benelux. This game seems like it is a lot of game.

thats a really bad opening, you need to shore up Italy before picking up non battlegrounds

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

BadOptics posted:

I've heard the toughest/2nd toughest are pretty challenging, but I'm a baby who plays on normal.

I'll wait until 3 years from now so I can get it on sale and the mechanics will be radically different but for the better (looking at you Stellaris).

Edit: Stellaris had the whole "let's just reduce micro by simplifying management" with sectors (Victoria with war), and surprisingly, the AI is dumb as hell and sectors are now a vestigial part that awkwardly are created so you can put more governors on your planets.

i think the big difference with sectors is that they were supposed to be the AI playing the same optimization game as the player, except they're way loving worse at it. vicky war is designed to never really interact with the player so i suspect it'll be less awful an idea

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Looking at the dev playthroughs on youtube, the player still has quiet a bit of control over the way things go during war. Almost like a super simple HoI battleplan where you just tell them to attack or not.

yeah, what i mean is that unlike even HOI where youve got all these little armies moving on the map but you let the AI control most of them, here it just abstracts it all away so you dont end up with the AI doing insanely stupid poo poo like leaving holes in the line

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dreylad posted:

im waiting.

also i like the implication that old paradox games were somehow worth it

the Paradox golden age is just the second half of CK2 and the first half of EU4

vicky3 seems neat so far but can't tell yet since I have no clue what I'm doing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

From like 3 hours I'd say if you can wait probably do so, it's a good foundation but even without DLC it could use some balance and bugfix patches

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

My favorite wonky balance thing is that the ideology of the interest group leader overrides the base ideology of the faction so if you get a republican or anti clerical industrialist leader they'll be pro communism

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ironically paying attention to immediate profitability is basically the worst thing you can do because half the point to building more production is to drive down the price of goods

trade is kinda messy because it includes both tariff profits, bureaucracy costs, and price effects but it can be good to export surplus (i find especially of raw materials or military goods that you're overproducing) and import stuff that you can't or won't produce to fill pop needs or patch up resource holes. seems like the ai is really bad at producing advanced raw materials though so lategame oil and poo poo is hard to get afaict

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Oct 26, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dreylad posted:

As far as I can tell people complaining about the game not having "free market capitalism" seem to be missing letting the AI develop your economy for you as with previous titles?

yeah lassiez-faire actually seems pretty strong here, though free trade is kind of a trap. but you the player are doing it instead of a brain dead ai so it's communist

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

oscarthewilde posted:

wrote an effort post on vicky 3 in the other thread but they're too busy having slapfights about steam forum posts and reviews (lol, pathethic). wonder what you guys think:

yeah sounds right, the lategame resource crunch especially sucks. I feel like it hopefully just needs some more balance and AI passes, the foundation seems strong at least

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's a shame because those colonial wars could be modeled really well but kinda aren't right now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Interesting that linen is a subtitute good for both heating and clothing, but wine is purely a luxury drink and not an intoxicant.

I was just starting to think it'd be elegant design if pops don't really care how they get themselves sloshed and will take whatever is the cheapest option available, thus perhaps dynamically leading to pops on wine in France due to the abundance of grain farms with their alt production of wine versus on liquor in Germany due to the abudance of err, rye farms I think it is with their alt production of potatoes.

But then that apparently doesn't work that way. Aarrrgh.

it almost works that way, the problem is just that wine is considered a tea/coffee substitute instead of a liquor/tobacco/opium one

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

I posted that quote about oil because it very clearly shows where priorities are. "We can't have this happen because it's not fun". Politics and and history are not important, fun is.

I mean making sure the entire game doesn't grind to a halt if two specific AI countries gently caress themselves up sounds pretty reasonable, there's a lot you can blame Paradox for wrt their approach to history but playing a little loose with historical methods of oil extraction for ease of play seems pretty far down the list

Yeah the medieval Church having such independent power was one of the biggest impacts on feudal Europe and CK has never really represented it well

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Has anyone played the board game Empire of the Sun? It's a relatively groggy hex and counter about the War in the Pacific but it's a card driven game with each card play being an operation including enemy reaction (unless you get a surprise attack) so it maintains a back and forth tempo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

to go a bit further, COIN as a game is based on the writings of Galuga, a French officer in Algeria, after France lost the Algerian revolution

these writings were used to create a framework to model the (debatably) successful counter insurgency in Colombia, with the release of Andean abyss, the first game in the series. The system was then transplanted to other conflicts

To me, that entire premise is wrong: you can’t treat counter-insurgencies as a translate framework, since each is entirely unique to the country and culture involved. Even the small changes made are not enough to account for this, thus making the games of incredibly dubious value from a simulationist point of view

There’s a game which I can’t recall the name of about a counter insurgency in a Central American country, which models the cultural prominence of different factions in each region, and those differences have measurable impact on the simulation

I think the other big issue is assuming that the counterinsurgents are actually interested in doing the kind of nation building it represents- the Cuba Libre playbook outright admits that Batista's actual "victory condition" was absconding with as much money as possible and any sort of long term stability wasn't really on the radar. That said some of them are still very fun games and there's still a lot of historical flavor to them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I think the problem isn't that it's necissarily a bad strategy either militarily or morally, the problem is that it assumes the counterinsurgent faction is actually committed to it. It's sort of an extension of the "idiot problem" in wargames- how do you make the Union player act as if Washington DC is under threat when it's the most fortified city on the planet? If you're trying to drill in that "this is how it ought to be" then you're more or less correct, but I disagree that's how it actually is. And of course you get into the problem that the way to "win" Afghanistan or Vietnam was not to invade in the first place

E: I do agree that they're useful for making people consider that insurgents have their own political agenda and their legitimacy rests on being able to build their own parallel state

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Btw Root is very much not a grog game but I really like how it presents all the factions as having very different relationships to popular support: the extractive imperialist cats just want to subvert the local nobility and everyone else is just labor, the parliamentary moles want to demonstrate popular support for purely domestic concerns, the feudal birds have to build relationships with the people and failing to fulfill that bargain collapses their government

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

All of that to say, you’re right, but the decision to invade was kind of like taking a game off the shelf, setting it up, and then not really playing to win, or knowing and following the rules, but just something you decided to do to give money to the board game company, or to keep your kids busy, or something. How do you make a game that represents how Capitalist Western Liberal Democracies wage war?

like i mentioned before, though it's very very abstract i like how Root handles the Underground Duchy/moles as a sort of loose fantasy representation of interventionism. they've got an offmap space connected to tunnels, analogous to air/naval resupply from a foreign homeland; and both their action economy and points engine is based on garrisoning troops in various semi-random regions in order to bring domestic government officials into the war- they dont have to actually rule the region, just make a show of force. so their goal isn't to actually occupy the whole country, except for a few "green zones" where their infrastructure is (losing these costs a lot of domestic support) but to win political favor at home by meeting arbitrary metrics

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've seen enough: Second Front is strategy game of the year and everyone who posts in this thread should get it.

Lol that it's just the Squad Leader guy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

finally lucked into attila total war working on my computer, dicked around a bit as the vandals and got owned. trying to decide if I should restart as them or try the lombards or alans

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I studied Late Antiquity and so ATW is really something special to me, I must have more hours in it than all other Total Wars combined. There are some great mods that flesh out this historical details and really bring the period to life. It's a shame it never got the support other titles have, though that's true for TOB too, which I think was also fantastic.

Yeah the time period is really cool and the migration stuff makes it feel a lot strategically different from other TW games. It does really double down on one of my basic problems with Total War which is that there's so many units with such minor differences in so many stats that it's often hard to predict strengths and weaknesses without knowing ahead of time- Shogun 2 was pretty good about this but at the cost of variety, and they just went the complete other way afterwards. But on the other hand you still get to watch Alan horsemen running rings around the enemy so that's fun

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Vicky 3 is worth it just for remastering the Vicky 2 soundtrack

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone got recommendations for good premodern tactical wargames for phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Iirc the other big problem was guns getting clogged with residue, so a single guy with a musket that he meticulously cleaned could be pretty accurate out past a hundred yards but a line of troops firing rapidly couldn't accurately hit a target smaller than another big line of troops