Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is it in a different engine? not gonna touch it with a 100 yard stick but if it's built on a better engine it might make for more ambitious background simulation (spacecraft drifting when not under direct command for example)

** if it gets anywhere rather than shutdown of course, which lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

would it be moddable to create a tankie conversion mod?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The Paradox devs desperately trying to make capitalism work even if the games show it doesn't - not the way it's said to anyway - has been a strange turn.

any juicy deets?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

1 bus/tram that goes through all service building locations, 1 bus system to go to various industry areas, if you have education problems add a dorm near your university so the students teleport/live there

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mandoric posted:

IIRC, the agent logic does, or did earlier in the year, something like:

Spawns at its flat at the beginning of its shift.
If it has a young child and detailed education is enabled in the game rules, sends them to kindergarten within walking distance. If this fails, despawn with an unemployment penalty to happiness.
Looks for work not disallowed by the assignment logic at a walkable distance greater than 0. A worker-enabled bus/train/tram/ski lift reports infinite jobs available if any are available.
Starts a five-hour timer, and walks to the work.
If the work is work, despawn after 8 hours.
If the work is a station, board the next vehicle, or despawn after one hour with no vehicle with an unemployment penalty to happiness.
When the vehicle reaches the next station, rerun the work-search logic, and stay aboard if no work is available.
(Note the nuance with 'walkable distance greater than 0'--workers will not transfer to another bus line at the same station. If you want workers to transfer between busses, there needs to be an up station and a down station within walking distance of each other.)
If the five-hour timer expires, despawn immediately with an unemployment penalty to happiness. (This cracks me up to no end, my high school bus routing was this hosed 90-minute loop of back roads where the driver absolutely refused to let us get off at anything but our designated stop, and mine was the last around 500m away from the first, so I'm envisioning them doing the poo poo I did once my academic career was well and truly torched anyway and just peacing out through the emergency exit when we hit traffic.)
Repeat until either the time limit or a worksite is reached.

In any case, spawn again 8 hours after beginning of shift.
Start an eight hour timer.
Ignore the child.
Select a need and path using the same logic, except with passenger rather than worker lines if needed, to a residential services building that offers it.
Despawn satisfied when the need is fulfilled, or unsatisfied if the timer expires.
(Some needs, like food or clothing, are always relevant and have severe health/happiness/loyalty maluses plus an enhanced chance of being rolled again/require a larger amount of goods next time if unfulfilled. Some, like alcohol or religion, are less punitive and also are cumulatively rolled less the less they're fulfilled; drinkers and faithful will be mad in the short term but also trend towards teetotal or nonbeliever.)

Repeat the next day.

how does radio/tv fit into this, for example if you have no religious buildings except broadcasts which do some religion stuff

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

- does the store have enough supplies, or was there recently a supply shortage? Those messages linger a while
- does the store have a labor shortage? if there are more customers than the store can handle, some people will not be able to get their supplies

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah, trains or boats are a necessity to properly build up a republic. trucks just don't cut it

Orange Devil posted:

Make the worlds longest conveyor.

Also the start of your tourism industry.

tourists are trash generators like nothing else, gently caress that noise

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

my dad posted:

I've played through the tutorials, and one of them shows two ways to do it. Since it provides an actual example you can look at, I'd advise checking it out. (this isn't intended to be a "play the tutorial, dumbass", I just genuinely think that having an actually working example in front of you helps figure things out.)

W&R has great tutorials but you can and should pause sometimes during the tuturial to distill "ok what have I done so far , how and why"
basically its tutorial goes at a breakneck speed if you let it, which leads to feeling overwhelmed.

but you can just ... not do the next step until you're ready.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

just search his channel for [topic you're wondering about] because he has a billion videos, some in-depth deep dives and some 'here's what you need to know' short focused videos,

in addition to a bunch of LPs

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

steam taking a hard Trotskyist line that capitalist restoration happened in degenerate worker’s states by including workers and resources in its “capitalism and economy” sale

disco elysium is not included in the sale though. fail on steam's part.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

one of the cool idiosyncrasies of OG X-Com is that your troops don't need line-of-sight to a target to start shooting at it, so you can send out a scout (preferably your highest Reaction soldier), and then they'll pause as soon as they spot an alien, and then everyone that's hanging back can fire from a distance with no fear of return fire. it might take a lot of shots because the great distance will mean even being slightly off will be magnified sevenfold over the trajectory of the shot, but with enough auto shots from rifles, you can beat the odds.

this is eventually what became Squad Sight in nu-XCOM

this but with the high explosive ammo made for a very funny map by the end of the combat

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

It’s just loving incredible that they either didn’t notice or didn’t care that this was the outcome of the game systems they were building during testing.

Just simulating the dynamics of the period completely rear end-backwards and then being really proud of it.

I still remember the idiot goons in this thread defending the simulation or trying to claim it was just because I had a skill issue when I pointed all this poo poo out right after release.

communication skill issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

watching someone play Hearts of Iron 4 Black Ice and lmao:

lol were they just doing a bit ?