Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

FrancisFukyomama posted:

don’t think so, I think there’s a dwarven city where Constantinople would be that has a Tyrian purple color scheme but no other lore. warhammer fantasy’s setting is a bit late for Byzantium to be there though it’s also a setting where the Holy Roman Empire popped out of the aether fully formed with all the Roman successor state trappings despite there not having been an actual Roman Empire

there was in fact the Reman Empire yes this is stupid but

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Reman_Empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Tankbuster posted:

Stereotypes are the other side of having a cool faction identity. A lot of the unit blandness is made up for by good voice work and general unit banter. People still quote the "AKs for everyone" or "China Will Grow Larger" but what is even the american equivalent.

the American equivalent was the tank saying “It’s the right thing to do!” when you told it to fire on a mob of civilians

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Endman posted:

That is incredible baby mistake poo poo. Are they not teaching memory management in CS classes any more?

Not really, no.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Dreylad posted:

For a strategy game publisher, Hooded Horse has been supporting hit after hit.

I’ll be interested in what they’re like when they have to start building their own stable and commissioning new titles. For the most part HH hasn’t been doing that, they’ve been picking stuff that was in-dev as an indie for years. That well will eventually run dry.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

sullat posted:

They have metal tools and weapons they are more bronze age than neolithic

All the bronze is technically the bones of dead air gods killed during the Gods War. So all their tools are technically made of wood and bone. Whether or not this means it is a bronze-age setting shall be left as an exercise for the reader.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

BearsBearsBears posted:

One thing I found odd in Manor Lords is that there is a dedicated woodcutters building that produces firewood and your peasants can't chop their own. I always feel like games like that force you to specialize your labor real early. As I understand it, peasant families would produce most of the goods they consumed within the household including things like firewood, clothing, and beer. Increasing labor specialization should be something that happens as you go from village to town instead of something that's mandatory from the start of the game.

Joe or Jolene Peasant was often not allowed to cut down a tree on their own initiative. Those are the Lord’s trees. Thus your woodsman or charcoal burner who is allowed to cut and sell firewood/make it into coal as their job. It was an effective check on speed of deforestation. This is why the heroic guy in little red riding hood shows up to kill the wolf with an axe!

But… peasants were allowed to walk around picking up loose sticks and branches and things to supplement their firewood. Once it hit the ground of its own accord it was fair game. The term “windfall” comes from this!

A more isolated tenant farm would cut their own firewood from the land they were on. But a castle town like in manor lords probably had a family whose job was woodcutting.

Also these rules varied wildly by place and time! My knowledge here is anglocentric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

BearsBearsBears posted:

So it would make sense to have anybody allowed to cut firewood until you (the lord) decide that's enough of that nonsense and make a decree that only the foresters can do it.

Dwarf Fortress is a game that I think does labor specialization pretty well. You start out with few dwarfs and most of them need to do multiple jobs. As your fortress grows you wind up with labor specialization to such a degree that nobody even does their own hauling anymore.

Sure, but given that Manor Lords is fundamentally not a Dwarf Fortress about running individual agent simulation I think that wouldn’t be great use of design and programming time. A wishlist feature for the future, maybe, would be to have peasants who can’t source basics like firewood from a market go collect it themselves, thus cutting into time spent on their properly-assigned job.