Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Colonization was the better Sid Meier game because it was more materialist and slightly less lib-brained in spite of its subject matter.

And yet nobody makes a Colonization 2. Don't even talk to me about the "remake".

it was kinda funny how colonization wanted to be inoffensive so they just removed the concept of slavery entirely from the game and all your plantations are worked by white dudes and the triangle trade is just two way

honestly I hope the paradox civ takes off since humankind seemed to have flopped and firaxis has been getting really sloppy with civ 6 without any competition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

palindrome posted:

I love reading dominions posts, I've only played 2-3 games of dom4 I think but it's fun tooling around in single player against incompetent AI.

A months long game of once-per-day turns sure is something. I can imagine games of chess by mail now.

I’ve only played single player and there are so many spells that are clearly just to gently caress with and play mind games with human players

like an ai isn’t going to care that a random mage every turn dies but that would be so irritating to happen to you

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

do military war games also use hexes and unit chits the way our shut in nerd war games do

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Reminder tat Long War for the xcom 2 expansion is fully complete and polished and if you want 1.13 levels of content theres the Mod Jam collection thats a big, highly integrated megamod that goes over it

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

you can't just say this without dropping a link to it

It got a workshop release https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2683996590

Mod jam is here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2684079953

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Slavvy posted:

Long war is better in every way imo

i remember for the longest time the xcom thread despised long war and would get mad when people posted about it, even into 2015 ish when there were only like a post a week bc people were completely done with vanilla xcom and the only people still playing were playing long war

it got really weird at times bc goons seemed convinced that the long war devs themselves were terrible people bc they didn’t build another version of the mod to cater to vanilla players even though xcom was basically unmoddable and the mod was somehow made entirely through hex editing and the like

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Mister Bates posted:

the Long War team made Terra Invicta which is one of the most insanely, impressively ambitious games I have ever seen, it's what you would get if you took one of those dream 'perfect game' ideas you came up with when you were eleven and gave it a budget and a dev team

it mostly fails at meeting those ambitions, but they aimed so goddamn high that the result is still honestly pretty compelling

the game is simultaneously a turn-based Illuminati-simulator grand strategy game where secret societies jockey for control of the Earth's governments from behind the scenes and a hard sci-fi 4x space strategy game with Newtonian spaceflight, a full orbital mechanics simulation, and tactical fleet combat, each of them with enough poo poo stuffed into them to be an entire game all on their own, both running concurrently, and both of them janky and a bit busted

yeah I don’t blame them for aiming high especially back in the lw1 days when they were reverse engineering the game to mod it and came up with mechanics that beat out most total conversions in terms of ambition

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

John Charity Spring posted:

it doesn't have the plot/character stuff of Fire Emblem/Tactics Ogre/Triangle Strategy but you could try Battle Brothers, in terms of turn based tactical strategy it's hard to beat

every time i see the title of that game I hear indrick boreale shouting it

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

not sure if this exactly fits the thread but since xcomlikes have been here, this Mars Tactics game sounds cool.
I’m surprised it took this long for another xcomlike to have deformable terrain since it was in the original

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1727760/Mars_Tactics/

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I like how the civ series declares infantry obsolete and replaces them all with IFVs at the last tech level. getting to see how that works out right now

it’s been a while but doesn’t Generals Zero Hour end with the USA humiliated by losses in the Middle East and retreating into isolationism while China integrates the EU into their sphere of influence as sole global superpower

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Danann posted:

booting up humankind to try out mods and the new patches only to remember it has this weird persona thing that completely defines how the ai plays and there's basically been no expansion of personas on that front

upon trying to download a collection i discover that i have to personally discover and filter all fifty for myself out of a like 7000+ personas with gamer names like wtf i just want a nice collection of ais to futz around with and not have to deal with the predictable batch i've been playing with for a while

edit: filtering by admin, dev team, and moderator brings it down to a more manageable 60 personas but there's zero popularity ranking so i guess i'm just grabbing the personas on a first come first serve basis

don’t humankind’s modding tools basically boil down to xml editing? it feels like after firaxis decided not to release the DLL access for civ 6 it’s become standard for civ clones to have extremely limited modding. millennia has already been confirmed not to have any tools letting you code new functions

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

wasn’t stalker pretty ambivalent about it with the Ukrainian army as permanently hostile enemies and most of the characters being Russian speakers?
I seem to remember it being implied that Freedom and Duty were NATO and Russian proxies

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

Depends on the game. Rome, Empire/Napoleon, Three Kingdoms, etc have battles that are smaller than reality, sometimes by a lot.

doesn’t Attila and Rome 2 use mostly realistic unit sizes, it’s just that there’d be 10x as many formations irl as there are in game which would probably also be pretty unmanageable

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's rather impressive how much of a nothingburger Civilization Beyond Earth ended up being. BearsBearsBears you should do a deep dive into that if you have it

didn’t it come out between the two civ v expansions so it didn’t even use the fixed civ v as a baseline, instead using the half baked vanilla civ v rules
it’s still kind of astonishing remembering how bad the civ v launch was.
the intro cinematic was to cover up the menu loading so it was unskippable until 20 sec in and there was no title splash screen so it looked like your game just crashed instead. and that was the state of the game for 2 years

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 03:59 on Dec 6, 2023

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah it was a cheap cashgrab.

I mean I think civ v being horrible at launch wasn’t intentional, they just got in over their heads with the tactical combat and that hotshot young lead designer. it ended up in a fairly reasonable state by the end of its life cycle, better than civ 3 at least

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

Oh, I meant beyond earth.

oh yeah that’s true, that game looked like poo poo

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

what was the deal with alien crossfire, were the two alien factions colonists sent by the race that built Alpha Centauri or were they the last remnants the way humans were? I remeber that they say something about the last planetary ascension was an apocalyptic event for them which is supported by them having go through the whole tech tree again but also their victory condition was sending a signal to their home planet to teleport in a massive armada?

I seem to remember that the only expansion faction that actually had an interesting ideology was the free drones but they were also basically just the space IWW

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Brian reynolds really dropped Alpha Centauri and rise of nations then proceeded to never make a game that wasn’t a FarmVille clone ever again

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I looked at that dominations game he made and there’s a bunch of little touches referencing rise of nations like the unique unit lines including the exact same ahistorical units as rise of nations which would be the kind of cute nod to the original you’d see in a spiritual successor but feels different when the game has 0 of the gameplay of the original

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

BearsBearsBears posted:

It's all rather unclear. I don't think the Usurpers come from the Caretakers but they both came from the original Progenitors. I think the the stuff about "rejecting the strictures imposed by their society" is a later addition, possibly from the GURPS book for Alpha Centauri. I can't remember it from the game itself. The intro for Alien Crossfire implies that the civil war is still ongoing in a "generations-old blood feud". I guess the civil war could have started years after the Caretaker faction started imposing their will on Progenitor society. That would probably allow everything to fit together nicely.

The intro also implies they somehow lost the location of Alpha Centauri. It's only 13 light years away from Tau Ceti, there just aren't that many stars to check. There's only 29 star systems within 14 light years of earth (not counting brown dwarfs). You've got FTL travel, surely you could scrounge together 29 scout ships and just check them all.

I checked out the wiki and the cutscenes and there seems to be an implication that the progenitor civ is on a galactic scale with planet just being one of their many experiments which again makes it confusing why the main civ doesn’t just come in at some point over 400 years to check up on them or why they both act like defeat of the enemy faction is a final victory over them

unless the Alpha Centauri conflict is so inconsequential to the greater civ that they don’t bother which I think a long with crossfire conclusively stating the planet’s origins kind of cheapens the main plot

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

isn’t PSI the Alpha Centauri name for happiness? since doctors produce it I think

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I remember the consensus for the longest time being civ 4 as the strongest civ and 3 as the weakest, tied with 1 though 1 is more a historical artifact then something people actively play nowadays.

has there been a consensus of where 5 and 6 fit? I had 5 on launch which seriously turned me off it for a long time until I tried out vox populi which while it couldn’t fix some of 5’s fundamental flaws still put it in a pretty good place.

I’ve been playing 6 on my phone and while I like a lot of the new systems introduced the ai doesn’t seem to be able to handle them and they’re also pretty back loaded into the late game which is especially a problem with how much easier 6 is since both games I played things were more or less decided by the renaissance and the remainder was just mopping up. didn’t get a chance to see global warming or anything

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

civ 6’s economy seems a lot better than civ v’s. the districts are fun and there’s a bit of civ 4 in the growth mechanics. too bad about the DLL source not being released, it would have been a great base for a vox populi style mod

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Typo posted:

not to mention civ 4 was the last civ game which was actually moddable

The Rhye's and fall of civilization mod almost made it into a new game entirely, that sort of modding just doesn't happen with civ5/6

Civ v had some crazy mods near the end of its lifespan

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

what was the issue with the colonization remake? i heard it was something about the endgame being impossible to win bc of unbalanced spawns for royalist armies? I played both games but never got to the endgame so at least in my experience they felt pretty similar.
if it was just the balance issues would modded civ4col be a decent successor to the original?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

let us know how difficult (or not) the interface is to deal with, since I assume it's just running over a DOSBOX wrapper

there’s an iOS port that’s just that and it’s very unpleasant to play since they did nothing to make the ui more touch screen suitable

between it and the civ 6 port that refuses to download dlc unless you manually log back into your apple account for every dlc one at a time firaxis really chose some winners to port their games

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

the civ v mod with the vicky style politics is JFD’s sovereignty though I’m not sure if it still works with the current build of VP or if you need to get an old one. it has civ specific party names and titles which was a fun touch, I remember the loyalist one for the Huns was “Attila’s Chosen” and the revolutionary one was “Followers of Bleda”

it’s not visible in that screenshot but if you picked a parliamentary govt you’d get the full Vicky 2 ideological factions minus the anarcho libs who I think were replaced by something less silly

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Typo posted:

link to the mod?

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/jfds-sovereignty-for-vp.677932/
there’s a steam workshop version but I’m not sure if it works or not nowadays

also when checking for this link I learned Rhye is back and actively developing rhyes and fall for civ v

maybe seeing some of the old modders coming back to 5 will get firaxis to get their poo poo together and prep the DLL for 7 https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/rhyes-and-fall.605/

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Jan 8, 2024

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

my dad posted:

Since I've been reminded of it, here's an assassination spreadsheet a player was using to keep count of eliminated enemy commanders during a lategame war in a 30 player hellgame of Dominions 5:

This is all from a single war between Tír na nÓg and Ermor (not-Rome, with a mix of pre-Marian and Imperial era inspired stuff), with Baobhan Sidhes going wild on everything they could reach.

e: Commanders assassinated include a bunch of summons and non-national mages, so that's why it seems a bit all over the place themathically. :v:

it mildly bugs me that there’s like 5 Romes in that series but not a single one with the classic Marian legions. just maniples that suddenly turn into post crisis of the third century field armies

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

steam taking a hard Trotskyist line that capitalist restoration happened in degenerate worker’s states by including workers and resources in its “capitalism and economy” sale

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Was the loyalty mechanic in the civ 6 based on something else?
Since i was going through my old civ v mods and there was this huge one that had basically the exact same mechanic and came out in 2016 https://civilization-v-customisation.fandom.com/wiki/JFD%27s_Cities_in_Development so im guessing they're either both based on the same thing or civ 6 borrowed it from this mod
wouldnt really be a surprise since the farm adjacencies and i think a couple other mechanics in 6 were taken directly from 5 mods

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

didn’t Rome 2 have a hardcoded 3 traits limit for years which meant that modders had to make elaborate combo traits that combined 4 or 5 vanilla ones to get generals to feel as unique as they did in the original

I rememeber Attila having a slightly more generous 10 traits and warhammer having something like 40 which seemed fine but then every faction head gave a unique trait on defeat or something and it filled up fast

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

huh apparently the last panzer general was an Xbox only card based puzzle game

how did that IP end up there

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

dominions is the only game that models the limitanei/comitatenses doctrine of the post third century crisis Roman military and its employed by snakemen Byzantines

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

the command and conquer Tiberium series was the most 90s neoliberal setting ever and the Generals series the most eerily prescient what with America constantly getting owned in it

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

huh, microprose is back

didn’t they pretty much own every strategy ip in the 90s, with civ, xcom, master of Orion and master of magic and somehow still managed to bankrupt themselves

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

are the flaws with civ 4 col that made people say it was inferior to to the original fundamental design flaws or just things that can be modded away? I recall a big complaint was that the king’s army snowballs and becomes impossible to beat but that sounds like something a mod could easily fix?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

sullat posted:

So the two big flaws I think were that it was too short; only 300 turns and so you'd have to transition very quickly from a colonial extraction system to an industrial powerhouse so you could beat the king's army and that was also because you had to generate liberty bells to declare independence but generating liberty bells also made the king add units to the army. So the logical way to play would be to not generate them at all to start with and then quickly ramp them up when you were starting to get ready to declare independence, but this was somewhat unsatisfying. The WTP mod makes it so that the game takes longer, ~600 turns I think, and also the king only increases the size of the army when you start increasing the size of your army so you can be free to generate liberty bells and start grabbing all the modded founded fathers for your Congress.

so modded civ4col pretty much has all the issues fixed and might as well be the definitive version of the game?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I remember grenade launchers in openxcom being very awkward to use bc if the arc’s height exceeded the number of z levels on the map it wouldn’t be able to fire, did they find a way around that? i don’t think it was a major issue in the original since the only grenades were thrown by hand and didn’t have enough range that it’d become an issue but actual launchers ran into it pretty often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

wasn’t a big concern with bolt actions with internal magazines even in ww1 was that ammo consumption would outstrip production capabilities? when did that become a small enough of a factor that giving everyone auto weapons seemed like a worthwhile choice