Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

wargame red dragon is p fun, the 2nd korean war campaign is hilarious

Can't play as the North Koreans. Boy I sure love destroying T-34 85s with my K1 mbts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Nah pretty sure the North Korean Deck has reservist t-34s upgunned in it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Wait how is that racist? Its a build a bear civ game and the improved endless legend combat is better than anything in Civ.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
God why isn't the big map for WH3 out yet?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Speaking of the civil war, UG: Civil war is really nice and fun even though the campaign aspect of it is severely barebones.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Are you going to deploy troops on the road itself or use it as a way of shuttling troops to and from the frontline. If units can fight without too many penalty in the forest hexes you could set the wheat field as a killing ground with massed musket fire.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Massed battery on the hill next to where the roads converge seems like a no brainer for artillery but that might just be the total war brain in me talking. It took me a long time to parcel out my artillery into multiple units in UG:CW and use explosive/canister shot.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

civil war gaem

What's stopping the rebels from just charging at the flag? Most of the defensive line is still in columns and deploying.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, hard to yolo a line when they have rifled muskets with minie balls. So how does the game model the rebels yelling hooting and hollering before charging.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Close Combat Arnhem showed me the power of Gammon Bombs. It was also the first game I remembered showing me how vulnerable tanks were in urban combat. The tiger was a big spooky tank that ruled the battlefield until a funny coal miner threw plastic explosives on it's engine block.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Once XXX Corps arrived and you had 17 Pounders, Achilles and Firefly they were manageable, but trying to hide a para 6 Pounder well enough to get a flank shot was nerve wracking.

For the longest time I just read the manual which essentially had an engaging well written account of the entire operation. Playing the game as a kid was hard because you go from Red Alert 2 to a 2D game where you have to care about lines of fire, units can miss, break or run. I remember the town with the flak 88 on the main where you had to rush the bridges with the americans. Eric Young's Squad assault was far jankier.

Eugen's WW2 game based on the eastern front did have a campaign but aspects were gamified.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The embarrassing thing was, I remembered it because I was comparing it to Red alert, and the flak units there were goofy russians that did low damage to infantry. I just thought it would be fun and games until of course my shiny new 50 cal got instawiped while I was dragging it into a building. But yeah, kudos to the devs. that piece of historical trivia stayed firmly lodged in my mind.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Bridge at Son still gives me nightmares. You fight your way through town then you get to the bridge map and you only have 30 seconds before the Germans blow it and there's nothing to do but cry.

You are not supposed to capture the bridge right?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Concentrated volley fire is so satisfying. Dartis' game does that rather well with the smoke plumes, firing sounds and shouting men.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Would say that Meiou and taxes 3 is really fun if you are playing in europe. The entire gameplay loop is about building trade and other stuff alongside funni pre capitalist industry. Oh and there is an involved centralization system too.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/developer-diary-division-commanders-unit-medals.1538205/

well well well, look whos come crawling back.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Johann being a big manchild who loves his boardgames is so funny.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
There's a 4 hour stream on paradox's channel if you want to play hooky at work.

As for strategy games go, a big shout out to the europa barbarorum for Rome 1. The very definition of a labour of love. Even the corny voice acting with bargain bin microphones had it's moments.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Megamissen posted:

there is also europa barbarorum 2 for medieval 2. which adds a lot of factions and other systems (like colonization) but does suffer from the same issues medieval 2 does when it comes to battles

one of the things i really miss from the older total war games is the trade system, watching all those little boats and carts go around is kinda satifying and made it feel more alive, especially when playing kart-hadast

medieval 2's scripting is better than rome 1's but man the thing is really not good. The more out there map generation in rome one also led to some amazingly fantastical maps. Play in europe north of the Alps and there's massive old growth trees that your roman legions will get ambushed in and will have to trek all the way back to rome to replenish. Bactria was what led me to understand the historical fiction books that were all the rage in olden days. Greek colonists at the literal edge of the world, building shrines to Zeus-Ahura Mazda and Artemis-Anahita, while blocks of disciplined pikemen fought alongside hard scrabbled afghan tribesmen against white steppe people worshipping a more primitive version of the same gods. Total War can sometimes really put the romantic part in the heart of strategy games.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The Arverni/Aedui had those Neitos swordsmen if you managed to reform and Gallic Knights which were really cool. I liked that the Gaesatae spooked romans by shaking their big dongs.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yes, a quirk of the unit experience system. Slings had AP but did little to no damage. Also each upgrade increased the damage by 1 so at level 9 you had arquebusiers.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
three kingdoms was legitimately good and fun. Played it while watching the 3k TV series on youtube and going HAO HAO HAO.

The lua scripting system in all the current TW3 engine games allows for some really cool and sophisticated modelling. You have to preserve your precious heavy cavalry even more because they are all minor aristocracy and you need them to better control a province.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yorkshire terrier.

Also total war is played for the spectacle for the most part as befits a game series that began as a lowly Command and Conquer ripoff.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
at least the map will be moddable. LOTR in the vicky map would be fun.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KaptainKrunk posted:

they have yet to design a system where other powers try to balance against you. realm divide is the closest

Eh, 3K had a much better realm divide system

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Xcum

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Is there a goon LP of Xcom Long War? 1 or 2 doesn't matter.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its always fun doing a mao and building a fortified base area after you cheese using snipers. Long War 2 is really fun when you use snipers as artillery.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Minenfeld! posted:

Games like the Civs, Total War, and new XCom all haven't figured out that they're not great vehicles for really in-depth anything yet keep bolting on more boring bullshit. There's nothing wrong with being a beer and pretzels strategy game done well.

Total War figured it out. Watching Dinos fighting Vikings is better than wacky "depth" that results in death threats sent against it's staff.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
As an aside I am enjoying watching Workers and Resources. A crunchier version of other citybuilders.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
ideological bent is fine but quorked up american white woman banter is where I draw the line

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its chicken

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
EU4 is a meme boardgame.
Boy that prussian space marines are a thing in 15th century berlin.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
eh, the maps in Ultimate general are pre generated and it's campaign is linear. Dartis winding up doing the same thing as Creative Assembly to pad out the game is really funny to me tho.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Just pretend the polity collapsed from the strains of fighting a war.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

BadOptics posted:

We'll see. I bought their Roman period game (it was so good I can't even remember it's name!) with a bunch of buddies and welp! I do hope it works out though!

its really amusing that the game's development ended just as johann's goofs were all fixed and created a baseline game that could have been expanded further.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
CK2 also had little to no systems for dealing with cultural change and the game wasn't remotely as moddable as CK3.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Ah but you see you can't gently caress a horse named glitterhoof while the aztecs are invading.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

I get that the Japanese are alcoholics, but why are wheat farms the only option for producing wine.

just make food industries and use the grain to make soju/sake.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a Warcraft mod for CK2 if that's more your jam

it got mogged by EK1. Elder Kings is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, I just see it on youtube. Also, how do I get SoL up as Japan?