Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

KomradeX posted:

How did you sort them? Cause theres so many I've been hesitant to actually punch mine yet.

I was thinking to the Eastern Bloc have a war gaming hobby like the West did? People moving little chits around a paper Austerlitz in Karl Marxsdadt, or reliving Kursk in an apartment in Moscow? Just thinking about how much influce literal Nazis had on the hobby in the West made me wonder if there was an alternate scene in the East. Though I guess that does applynto today, is there a wargaming scene in China?

I don't know about eastern bloc, or really even China other than to say that Twilight Struggle was popular in China and had it's own meta that is based on strategies (focus on VPs) considered to be better than the western meta (focus on longer term map presence/value). They came together once they released the online app to play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

This is telling that I don't play much tabletop wargaming, but I recently bought the Mr. President game (mentioned a few pages back) and it said something about a "chit cup," which is obviously not something that came with the game. What do folks use for their chit cups?

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Minenfeld! posted:

Twilight Struggle is $7.99 for Android is that worth it?

Playing on your phone will be challenging, but not impossible. It's also on steam. AI is not going to play anything like an experienced player will, and the folks that are still playing the app are generally going to be at least intermediate at the game.

All that said the digital version is really solid and I've played probably 50+ games on it. Just be prepared to get blown out by people with 1200+ elo or greater until you go beyond the basics

https://twilightstrategy.com

This website is the strategy guide that defines western style play of TS and a great starting point for understanding the cards/game states that can make you instalose and basic strats (us holding decol/destal in hand until turn 3 to prevent reshuffle, 5 year plan strat, etc)

Cheen has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Aug 15, 2023

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Tekopo posted:

playing a lot of TS made me hate the loving game, it’s too long to lose the game on a loving dice roll or getting a poo poo hand

I won't argue with you over it, but I generally have found that poo poo hands or bad dice rolls happen to both sides and generally even out in a game, but I have had frustrating moments where it does feel like you're getting buttfucked by bad luck.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Tekopo posted:

to clarify, RNG for stuff like reallignment/coups is fine and I don't mind the variance on it, because I can at least do something about it and also still have options later on

what I do care about is poo poo design like "oh you lost 4 turns at a crucial point in the game", there's a reason why "skip a turn" events have not been in any game for the last 20 years of game design

those aren't even the only badly designed cards in the game, either, and yes, I would consider all of the lovely "gotcha" DEFCON cards as being badly designed as well

I once had a 3-4 turn bear trap and was able to dump some really dangerous american events during it, almost a reversal of fortune

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

i own imperial struggle but haven't played it yet, i need them to make an app so i know i'm actually following the rules

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Played my first game of imperial struggle yesterday. Started at 1pm, teach took about an hour and a half, and I was done by 8 with no breaks. Yikes. But, it was a great game and I ended up winning as GB by over 20 in the final scoring. Want to play it again now that I have a better idea of what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

he should spend less time doing think pieces on helldiver and more time playing helldiver