Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

A lot of those expensive crts on ebay just end up sitting there for a really long time without anyone buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I’m not sure how the eBay market is now other than assuredly being over priced, but try finding relatively local listings and making offers, letting them know you’d be picking it up in person. I picked up a PVM this way for about $70 cheaper than the list price back around 2015. I’m sure most sellers would rather knock some money off the top and know that it won’t be destroyed from shipping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

That could just be a bad cable, does touching or wiggling the cable have any effect?

I've been meaning to test this, but after a few days of consecutive use, it no longer happens (for now anyway).

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have a 36fv310 sitting in storage if any goons want to trade. I'm in CT and I'm looking for a jvc-d series or some other curved set around 20 inches or even an older model pvm if someone has that. I don't really want to get rid of it, but my mom told me we have to clean out her storage and I'm not entirely sure where I'd put a 350 pound beast like anymore. I might be able to figure something out but figured I'd throw a trade or sell option out there before I make a choice.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I’ve been gambling with thrift store CRTs and losing. They looked ok without a signal. But the magnavox has really bad convergence and whines. Even after adjusting the yokes it was still rough. It was from 2006 and looked worse than older TVs. I have sworn off Funai TVs based on seeing two TVs with same bad convergence. It’s especially bad at the corners and the photo makes the quality looks better than it is in person.

My next bad choice was a Zenith tv\vcr. The vcr worked and tv convergence was ok but the geometry was whack. I don’t know if it was bad caps or if the brightness being cranked was the problem. Without the original remote I couldn’t access the set - or set+ buttons to adjust even though I could enter the menus. I didn’t feel that recapping such a meh consumer tv would have been worth my time.

Lessons learned:
1. Test out a tv preferably with a signal generator like the 240p test suite before buying.
2. Always get an original remote. Many TVs don’t even let you adjust simple picture settings like brightness or contrast without one.

Will this stop me from buying more? Probably not. Check out the computer store in the Goodwill of Eugene. More CRTs than I’ve seen since the 90s.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

My cat decided on a new favorite place

This is stupid but that's ok, right? A part of me thinks "ehhh don't go sleeping on ancient electronics maybe the risk of shock is higher because they're so old" but then, if that was true, it'd be dangerous just to use it anyway.

I know cats sleeping on CRTs is nothing new but it's the age of it that kinda worries me.

Since I live in China I've bought Chinese electronics (but I won't anymore), I had this receiver that was just all jacked up and created a sort of electric death cloud, enough to make your hand go numb if you got within range of it. It fried a bunch of electronics near it, so since then I kinda worry about this stuff.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

cats can sleep on CRTs, as a treat

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

BrainDance posted:

This is stupid but that's ok, right? A part of me thinks "ehhh don't go sleeping on ancient electronics maybe the risk of shock is higher because they're so old" but then, if that was true, it'd be dangerous just to use it anyway.

I know cats sleeping on CRTs is nothing new but it's the age of it that kinda worries me.

Probably fine for a PVM (the cases are metal, right?) though I remember the plastic casing of the Sony consumer TV we had as a teenager eventually breaking apart from cats sleeping on it.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

BrainDance posted:

Since I live in China I've bought Chinese electronics (but I won't anymore), I had this receiver that was just all jacked up and created a sort of electric death cloud, enough to make your hand go numb if you got within range of it. It fried a bunch of electronics near it, so since then I kinda worry about this stuff.

It’s okay but you need a bigger one so he can be more comfy.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Thrift stores in the Boston area have been dire for electronics the past couple years. It’s all lamps, hair dryers, DDR mats, and foot bath things. I don’t know why this stuff is so regional. I got my PVM on eBay from a local seller and I’ve checked back there every so often to see if I got a “deal” and I guess even though I spent quite a bit ($500) for a 20 incher here they are usually listed for way over that if there are any PVM listings at all.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PVMs are meant to be stacked on top of other PVMs. Your cat will do it no harm, unless it's made of magnets or something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Noticed something funny when playing Cyberpunk today. Moire patterns would show up in misty scenes. I haven't seen them in anything else.

If anyone's interested, this time I hooked up the monitor to a newer pc, which while more powerful doesn't have a DVI I out like the one I used previously (with a GTX 970). So I was limited to 60Hz by the HDMI adapter, whereas before I could output whatever the CRT was capable of. At 60Hz CRT flicker is very noticeable (and annoying), to me at least, so this setup is even more of a novelty. I got recommened a higher end adapter in the GPU thread, though, that should be able to handle higher refresh rates.

All that said, cathode-ray tube raytraced XGA Cyberpunk did look pretty great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is picture alignment supposed to change for each resolution? After I adjusted it for 1024x768, it was really off when I started a game in 640x480.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Rinkles posted:

Is picture alignment supposed to change for each resolution? After I adjusted it for 1024x768, it was really off when I started a game in 640x480.

Yes that’s normal and kind of tedious. On my monitor switching from 640*480 to 1280x1024 is a bit of effort to resize the screen.I wonder if some higher end monitors have multiple profiles you could save for settings? I don’t remember that though from back in the day and used decent brands like Sony, and Viewsonic,NEC.

You mentioned buying a higher end adapter in your prior post. What adapter are you using?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I haven’t gotten around to buying it yet. I was using the other PC instead (the one with a DVI port).

But this is the model I intend to get: DP2VGAHD20. $33 on Amazon atm

E: if you meant my current adapter, that can’t go higher than 60hz, it’s this

https://a.co/d/07jNBl8

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 24, 2023

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

BrainDance posted:

I had this receiver that was just all jacked up and created a sort of electric death cloud, enough to make your hand go numb if you got within range of it. It fried a bunch of electronics near it

Wtf? Like it had an electric field so strong that it made your hand go numb at a distance? Was it like a megawatt transmitter/transceiver or am I missing a joke or something?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

namlosh posted:

Wtf? Like it had an electric field so strong that it made your hand go numb at a distance? Was it like a megawatt transmitter/transceiver or am I missing a joke or something?

It was just a normal audio receiver. And when it was plugged in if your hands were close to it there was a kind of static buzzing type thing and eventually stuff would start to numb.

Not a great distance or anything but, still enough that I was able to return it for a refund and just buy a normal denon receiver.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Just bought a scart modded crt from someone local and it looks like I might just have a crt tech now!!

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I bought another CRT. This time a 17-inch GEM DE770 which appears to be a pretty common model rebranded by many companies. The geometry is a PITA to try and get perfect through the onscreen controls and the convergence is a little fuzzy in a couple corners. The degauss button in the menu is always fun The cost of the monitor was $12.50 and I found a Startech DP2VGA adapter for $1.25 at the same Goodwill.

I tried it with my Mister and it works well for games with the scan doubler feature on. But it's a bit sharp for 16 bit era games. It reminds me of playing games on an emulator in the late 90's. Still will work well until I find a good 15hz display for those games.

It really shines in retro PC gaming. For example:

On the desktop or a web browser it's kind of muddy.

I am happy with it and feel like I am getting the early 2000's computer lab monitor experience. It's not the best but it'll do!

I had a hard time finding a pattern generator for PC but did end up finding NEC pattern generator. It's pretty basic but has a good series of test screens:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/NEC-Test-Pattern-Generator.shtml

mysteryberto fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 28, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mysteryberto posted:

I found a Startech DP2VGA adapter for $1.25 at the same Goodwill.

Nice. Was that good for higher than 60Hz?

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Rinkles posted:

Nice. Was that good for higher than 60Hz?

Yes, I have tried running 85hz at 1024x768. Truthfully it seems to run best at 640x480 85hz for clarity though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

I bought another CRT. This time a 17-inch GEM DE770 which appears to be a pretty common model rebranded by many companies. The geometry is a PITA to try and get perfect through the onscreen controls and the convergence is a little fuzzy in a couple corners. The degauss button in the menu is always fun The cost of the monitor was $12.50 and I found a Startech DP2VGA adapter for $1.25 at the same Goodwill.

I tried it with my Mister and it works well for games with the scan doubler feature on. But it's a bit sharp for 16 bit era games. It reminds me of playing games on an emulator in the late 90's. Still will work well until I find a good 15hz display for those games.

It really shines in retro PC gaming. For example:

On the desktop or a web browser it's kind of muddy.

I am happy with it and feel like I am getting the early 2000's computer lab monitor experience. It's not the best but it'll do!

I had a hard time finding a pattern generator for PC but did end up finding NEC pattern generator. It's pretty basic but has a good series of test screens:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/NEC-Test-Pattern-Generator.shtml

If you haven't tried it yet, super resolutions at 120hz will give you a 31khz signal and 240p scanlines are kinda fun to mess with on Mister

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Going on Ebay to buy a remote to a 20 year old TV is a thing normal people do, right?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Absolutely. Sometimes you pay more for the remote than the tv.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I bought a brand new remote for a 14 inch Sony I have even though I already had a remote that worked on it, because the new remote was the one the t.v. would have came with. And it was only $10

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Absolutely. Sometimes you pay more for the remote than the tv.

Paid $20 for each.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You just reminded me to get a remote for my Trinitron so I can fix the slightly wonky geometry in the service menu :v:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

Going on Ebay to buy a remote to a 20 year old TV is a thing normal people do, right?

how else are you gonna access that super secret service menu????

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Adrian Black managed to turn an NTSC TV into a multiformat one by importing a new CRT mainboard from China. Seems to work surprisingly well. The UI of the TV has a built in sokoban game for some reason.

Too bad he doesn't mention whether it would be possible to add RGB inputs. It does seem to come with the schematics at least.

I don't think I've seen anyone obtain one of those "new" CRTs being sold on Aliexpress. I would be very curiosu to know what the quality of that set is, and whether it's using repurposed parts or if someone is actually making new tubes somewhere somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqflFfvkR0

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Adrian Black managed to turn an NTSC TV into a multiformat one by importing a new CRT mainboard from China. Seems to work surprisingly well. The UI of the TV has a built in sokoban game for some reason.

Too bad he doesn't mention whether it would be possible to add RGB inputs. It does seem to come with the schematics at least.

I don't think I've seen anyone obtain one of those "new" CRTs being sold on Aliexpress. I would be very curiosu to know what the quality of that set is, and whether it's using repurposed parts or if someone is actually making new tubes somewhere somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoqflFfvkR0

He mentions in the comments that there are no rgb inputs on the IC. Although I think I've seen something before on reddit of someone getting their hands on one of those chinese crts that they either modded to have SCART or came with it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Y'all got any tips/resources on adjusting the geometry on flatscreen crts? I've got a Toshiba 27AF43 and the stretching at the screen edges makes sidescrollers unplayable.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'd start with finding out how to get into the service mode and see what geometry settings you can adjust there.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Y'all got any tips/resources on adjusting the geometry on flatscreen crts? I've got a Toshiba 27AF43 and the stretching at the screen edges makes sidescrollers unplayable.

I feel your pain. I’ve done a lot of researching and it seems that there’s not really much to be done. I did play around in the service menu and attempt to adjust geometry but never really found something that makes that effect go away.

I have learned to ignore it somewhat though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CRTs that have flat glass screens are always going to have some distortion around the edges because that’s just a compromise the manufacturers made in the name of form over function to make their product look more “premium”

2D games were “dead” when those started becoming the norm, video games were still mostly just considered toys at the time, and the problem is not nearly as pronounced with video content. There’s just not much that can be done about it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Well dang. Three years ago I couldn't find any curved CRTs locally and now I can't find any period (not counting the RF-only "gaming TVs" on cragslist).

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Here's the service manual. The adjustment info is on pages 17 through 21. Settings list on page 18.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2451110/Toshiba-27af43.html?page=17#manual

Hold Vol- and 9 for over 1 sec to activate the menu. Move through the menu with Channel +/-, and adjust with Vol +/-. Exit with Menu button.

Write down the original value before adjusting - if something gets messed up, a reset to defaults may make things worse, as some settings might've been custom set at the factory.

For geometry, the settings are:

02 H. VCO
03 H. PHASE
05 V. SHIFT
06 H. SIZE
07 V. SIZE
08 V. LINEARITY
09 VS CORRECTION
30 E/W PARABOLA
31 E/W CORNER
32 E/W TRAPEZIUM

You can use whatever input you want to guide you, but a grid pattern is ideal. For an SD set, I don't know offhand a good pattern source. I used Disney's World Of Wonder calibration Blu-ray for my HD Sony Wega.

You may not be able to get it perfect. Technically, further adjustments are possible internally via yoke manipulation and attaching magnets, but it's very precise work best left to a professional calibrator (which is big bucks).

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Service menus aside, I do agree that a curved screen is best for 2D games. I've got a SNES hooked up to a 13" Hitachi built in 1978.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you have a an old console and a flash cart, or a mister or something that can play a rom and display it on the TV, you can Google the 240p test suite. There are rooms for various consoles that lets you display grids and test patterns.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I messed about with the service manual & 240p test suite. It wouldn't generate the patters needed for the parabola and trapezoid, but messing with the values didn't seem to change anything. Like GutBomb said, I suspect its inherent to the tube.

Someone put out a tv/vcr combo unit that was exactly what I wanted in the alley, but it looks like its spent the last decade in a basement / garage and I'm not confident its not infested :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Scored a free Panasonic CT-32D11E from 2001. Previously my largest CRT was a 27" Trinitron. So this is a big heavy bulbous beast. I would normally pass on a fishbowl like this, but it has component inputs.