Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Not gaming related but I saw the weirdest thing today. NEC developed a crt that played fish videos and in front of the display is an aquarium. Apparently some were powered by laserdisc players and others pcmcia cards.

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m11829212211

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lR4vSL6DmY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

mysteryberto posted:

Not gaming related but I saw the weirdest thing today. NEC developed a crt that played fish videos and in front of the display is an aquarium. Apparently some were powered by laserdisc players and others pcmcia cards.

Funnily enough, I googled it and the trademark still exists (owned by another company now) and they're selling 4K versions now, though no information on who's manufacturing the screens for them these days.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 9, 2023

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Those weren’t just your plan old laserdiscs either, they were actually MUSE Hi-Vision HD discs. Pretty crazy devices but probably a good investment over taking care of actual fish for restaurants.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wish I could easily access the back of the television so that I wasn't using front composite like a scrub.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I loving hate those TV cabinets. My parents spent a bunch of money on one for a 4:3 CRT. Then they got rid of the CRT but I guess the stupid cabinet was too nice to get rid of, so they would just buy tiny, lovely widescreen TVs that would fit in there, and then that sits like 15 feet away from the couch. I suggested getting rid of the doors, so they could put a bigger TV in, but my mom wanted to be able to close it so the room would look nice or some dumb poo poo. They finally moved it into a different room and have a regular sized TV there now.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yeah, that's at my parents' house. Was my room, now it's a room for when my kids stay over. At least there's still a CRT in the massive cabinet.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

kntfkr posted:

I wish I could easily access the back of the television so that I wasn't using front composite like a scrub.

Always been fond of these though

The Postman
May 12, 2007

finally installed my GC loader the other night and loaded up some FROLF

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Just ordered a trinitron g14m2 with next to no research. They go fast, it wasn't expensive, and I don't think it was a model sold in an English speaking country so there wasn't much to research anyway and I just wanted to grab it before anyone else did.

So uh, let's hope for the best.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

BrainDance posted:

Just ordered a trinitron g14m2 with next to no research. They go fast, it wasn't expensive, and I don't think it was a model sold in an English speaking country so there wasn't much to research anyway and I just wanted to grab it before anyone else did.

So uh, let's hope for the best.

Where did you order from? Super excited to see the pics!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

sailormoon posted:

Where did you order from? Super excited to see the pics!

I got it from a Chinese ebay clone called Xianyu. It was the only one that both fit everything I wanted and that the seller tested beyond "it turns on."

Living in China has made all my retrocollecting stuff way harder because models and brands are so different but also way cheaper overall lol. Although I don't know how much trinitrons go for, it was 300rmb which is about 43 us dollars.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BrainDance posted:

I got it from a Chinese ebay clone called Xianyu. It was the only one that both fit everything I wanted and that the seller tested beyond "it turns on."

Living in China has made all my retrocollecting stuff way harder because models and brands are so different but also way cheaper overall lol. Although I don't know how much trinitrons go for, it was 300rmb which is about 43 us dollars.

Awesome, that one is multiformat (PAL, and NTSC) with composite and RF inputs.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

mysteryberto posted:

https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2019/05/rare-dreamcast-powered-sega-fish-life.html
There was also this Dreamcast powered aquarium machine.
One of the Hard-Off accounts I follow on Twitter found one without a monitor for really cheap a few months back.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
Anyone else like 7th gen games on CRTs? Been playing through Red Dead on my PS3 with my tube over component and it looks fantastic.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Hell yeah, been looking at eBay for a modded 360. I just played dead space on my Toshiba and it looked good as hell

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I have my 360 tucked away right now but could easily hook it up. I just don’t like having that gigantic POWER BRICK hanging around.

I used to play 360 all the time in uni on a tiny lil CRT. May be nice to relive that experience again! Maybe I will play some Out Run:cool:

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

dlrry posted:

Anyone else like 7th gen games on CRTs? Been playing through Red Dead on my PS3 with my tube over component and it looks fantastic.

It depends on the game and TV. 7th Gen games can look great on CRT. But I remember trying to play Dead Rising on a SDTV CRT on composite cables. The text was near impossible to read. Ironically the main character on the cover art is holding a CRT to smash zombies.

mysteryberto fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 29, 2023

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I remember 100hz TVs being a thing towards the end of the CRT era. I think I also remember hearing they are bad for games?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

If I had to guess 100hz TVs were probably sold in PAL territories since it's twice the refresh rate of their 50hz standard.

It would probably be completely miserable to use for games in any other territory.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
I'm thinking of getting a cheap GPU that do 15Khz so I can output 240p and 480i on my PC to my crt. Any suggestions?

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Is it a given that the capacitors in old CRTs need replacing, and has everyone here had to do it? I was recently given one and fired it up to relive some Dreamcast memories. It all seems to work fine, but I worry that I may be damaging the TV or reducing it's lifespan by continuing to use it. Particularly concerned about the caps that regulate power. I've got some experience soldering and reckon I can do it, but need to invest in some decent equipment and make the time, so the CRT is sat unused for now.

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
Very long shot here, but I have a Dell e773c CRT monitor that has just broken and was wondering if anyone had any specific experience with this model or Dell CRTs in general.

There was no real inciting incident - I powered it on and nothing displayed, not even the service menu. I gave it a light tap on the side and the image displayed, however next time I turned it back on it showed nothing again and tapping it in various places did nothing. It powers on, degausses, and in a darkened room I think I can faintly see the screen illuminating, but there is no actual image.

Any advice appreciated. My Dreamcast games looked great on it!

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Crimson Chin posted:

Very long shot here, but I have a Dell e773c CRT monitor that has just broken and was wondering if anyone had any specific experience with this model or Dell CRTs in general.

There was no real inciting incident - I powered it on and nothing displayed, not even the service menu. I gave it a light tap on the side and the image displayed, however next time I turned it back on it showed nothing again and tapping it in various places did nothing. It powers on, degausses, and in a darkened room I think I can faintly see the screen illuminating, but there is no actual image.

Any advice appreciated. My Dreamcast games looked great on it!

That’s a pretty common CRT so you may want to look into replacing it with a similar monitor. Since the image came on after tapping it could be something as simple as a cold solder joint or aging caps.

If you have electronics repair experience, I would look for a service manual. If you don’t then I would buy another monitor. Even if you find a shop that repairs CRTs the price to repair (they still exist!) would exceed the value of the monitor.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

JammyB posted:

Is it a given that the capacitors in old CRTs need replacing, and has everyone here had to do it? I was recently given one and fired it up to relive some Dreamcast memories. It all seems to work fine, but I worry that I may be damaging the TV or reducing it's lifespan by continuing to use it. Particularly concerned about the caps that regulate power. I've got some experience soldering and reckon I can do it, but need to invest in some decent equipment and make the time, so the CRT is sat unused for now.

It certainly is not a given that the caps need to be replaced. Enjoy your equipment and fix it if it breaks. You won't damage it by using it, and when the caps die they won't mess anything up that you can't fix by replacing the cap and cleaning the board.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Recapping a CRT is no small feat either, and you’re not going to find a pre-packaged kit with everything you need like a console. The best advice for a CRT is if it’s good enough, leave it alone. They’re a lot of work if you start opening them up and messing with convergence and recapping and so on and unless you’re really displeased, you shouldn’t go down that path.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

JammyB posted:

If it's working fine, you're fine. You're definitely not damaging it by using it. Electrolytic caps can fail whether their being used or not. If you had caps that were starting to fail you would see it in the CRT geometry or other noticeable symptoms. It's not particularly important that the capacitor be replaced before it fails. You don't want it to leak delicious electrolytic juice and cause corrosion, but that damage can take some time to happen. If you use the set regularly, you'll know when it dies and can take action then.

Pre-emptively replacing the capacitors are a good idea if the set isn't going to be used regularly and you don't want to risk having a cap fail and leak without realizing, or if you just want piece of mind. There is really no one magic answer to how long caps last or when you should replace them. It depends entirely on the quality of the cap, what it's being used for, what conditions it's stored in, and just plain luck. I just watched one video on Youtube were they suggested replacing capacitors in electronics after 10 years. That's just bananas advice, and a waste of capacitors and time. When people make claims like that they are just pulling it out of their rear end.

One exception would be RIFA capacitors. Those ones can blow and do damage and should be replaced the second you see one. But I don't know how common they were on TVs. If you're using anything made after the year 2000 you're probably fine.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Thanks for the advice. Sadly I must have jinxed it by claiming it was all working fine, as I turned it on last night for the first time in a few months and had problems. Firstly, there's a bit of a high-pitch popping/pinging noise (like tapping a wine glass) which I didn't have before. The image tends to compress down to a single very bright horizontal line, or a narrow horizontal band. Tapping the case can affect it and I did manage to get it back to full screen. But also the image is rapidly scrolling vertically too, with diagonal breaks as shown in the photo below. If anyone has got any pointers then that'd be great, but I don't have any spare time to work on it for a while. Fingers crossed it's just some bad solder joints or other loose connections inside. Can't believe it as it was sat in a damp, cold garage for the last decade, and now it goes after a few months sat in the corner of my office!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

That's exactly the kind of symptom I would expect to see if there's dying capacitors.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That's called vertical collapse and it's likely bad caps or broken traces or bad solder joints, something in the vertical deflection circuit is broken or failing.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I agree with the other two posters about bad solder joint or caps being likely. You should run the display like that at all. The beam that normally paints the whole screen is focused on a tiny area with high power and it can burn in quick.

Someone asked about caps earlier. I wouldn’t change them on a working crt unless the display has issues. For a handful of display models console 5 sells kits: https://console5.com/store/computer-cap-kits/computer-monitor-cap-kits.html

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So, if I got a Sony PVM, they have RGB input, but what are these connectors?

I tried looking it up, I guess maybe they're BNC connectors? Assuming they are, how do I get something like an HDMI signal to that? I found HDMI to analog BNC convertors, but it's one hdmi in, one BNC out. And, there's the 3 RGB BNC connectors on the PVMs I'm looking at.

But then, there's also "Line A" and "Line B" that just one BNC connector for video in. So do I just use one of the HDMI convertors to get it to that? But then what's Y/C? It looks kinda like an svideo connector?

This is from a Sony PVM-14N6E, but I'm not set on that PVM, but is that going to be probably a decent PVM to get?

The Trinitron I got, it came and it worked for one day. And then when I go to turn it on today there was a quick flash (like not just the screen, a legitimate massive flash) and it wont turn on after that. We called up all the repairmen in town and we got a guy coming over to look at it who thinks he can fix it if he's gotta replace the power supply or something but I dunno, I'm not super confident he will be able to, CRT repair isn't really a big business anymore. And if he cant, gently caress it I'm just gonna buy a PVM they were weirdly enough less rare and not even much more expensive here (assuming there's not some weird catch and people tell me "no don't buy that PVM that's from the bad year where everything's in a weird format and nothing will connect to it" or something)

Edit: I am sold on the PVM now because there's a guy selling one he says is verified working in my city and it's literally the only CRT for sale here, and I am very tempted to just rage buy it. I could just go right now and get it.... and, I dunno. I kinda want to.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 22, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If the output is just one cable, then it is likely outputting composite video.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Cojawfee posted:

If the output is just one cable, then it is likely outputting composite video.

So, then, would it work if I took a converter like this

(The description says "
HDMI to BNC converter HDMI to Q9 head monitoring video signal conversion box HDMI to composite video")

To connect a computer to it through HDMI? I had read some stuff about people having problems except for with specific GPUs, but that seemed like when they were using vga out or some other analog format directly to it. I'd think the converter would, you know, convert it?

I just want to, for now, use that to get videos playing on it. I don't remember if I posted my long term plan in this thread before, but I have other places on the forum. But the gist of it is, I'll be running a raspberry pi powered very short range tv station over UHF (because it's not authentic nostalgia if you use a good format) that plays 90s/early 2000s tv, like like massive techtv archive so I can watch people call Leo Laporte before we knew he was a pervert and ask how to install a printer on their Windows 98 machine. On top of that I plan to get a MiSTer put together for SNES and stuff.

Also a PC thats the very last hardware 98se fully supported that "dials up" (mostly as an excuse to have a switch that keeps it off my network except when I'm using it) to the internet through a proxy on the Pi that routes everything through archive.org, and is also a very restrictive firewall.

But, for now, I just wanna hook up the laptop to it and watch some old TV on it.

I bought the PVM and should have it in roughly 10 minutes. I normally would have planned things out more first but I was pissed about the dead Trinitron so whatever

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

bone emulator posted:

I remember 100hz TVs being a thing towards the end of the CRT era. I think I also remember hearing they are bad for games?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
my parents bought one in like, 1999. its great for games, just repeats every frame to reduce flicker. the one thing that doesnt work tho is lightguns. some 100/120hz sets are around from the time where picture processing and thus lag became a thing, so the whole tech itself kinda got a bad rap

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Seems to work, though I got nothing to test it with now until my adapters come. I am pretty confused by this 31khz vs 15khz thing. It seems like if something is composite it should work? So my hdmi adapter should also work? If I need to build an old computer with one of those old compatible GPUs whatever, I will, since the retro computer is part of the plan anyway. I'm just hoping for the best for now, messaged the seller and he was like "I have no idea if this works for that" It's just a matter of how soon I can start using it. This was an unexpected purchase so I'm not gonna be building the retro computer this month at least.

The white noise on a PVM is supposed to be not white noise right? It shows some weird red flickering when it's on, I think I saw somewhere before that that's normal but, that's normal, right?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lol this is the wrong thread

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 22, 2023

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Seems to work, though I got nothing to test it with now until my adapters come. I am pretty confused by this 31khz vs 15khz thing. It seems like if something is composite it should work? So my hdmi adapter should also work? If I need to build an old computer with one of those old compatible GPUs whatever, I will, since the retro computer is part of the plan anyway. I'm just hoping for the best for now, messaged the seller and he was like "I have no idea if this works for that" It's just a matter of how soon I can start using it. This was an unexpected purchase so I'm not gonna be building the retro computer this month at least.

The white noise on a PVM is supposed to be not white noise right? It shows some weird red flickering when it's on, I think I saw somewhere before that that's normal but, that's normal, right?

What model did you end up with? 15hz is standard definition, 240p/480i. 31hz is 480p, so dreamcast, etc. As far as analog signals go.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Kazvall posted:

What model did you end up with? 15hz is standard definition, 240p/480i. 31hz is 480p, so dreamcast, etc. As far as analog signals go.

It's a Sony Trinitron PVM-14N6E. I really impulse bought it but from what I've been googling now it seems like a pretty decent one. At the time I was just like "Trinitron, PVM, fine it's probably fine whatever I want it now" and just had the guy toss it in a taxi lol.

I'm not interested in using it for 3D games, just NES, SNES, MAME, etc. And that I'm gonna do straight from a MiSTer to the RGB on it without any hacky converters and stuff. Just was worried my HDMI to BNC converter wouldn't work for the playing old TV shows part of it. But now that I've been reading more it seems like, as long as it becomes composite and I plug it into one of the composite ports on it, it'll work? Or even worst case scenario I just force my gpu to output 15khz at the right resolution?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, you should be fine. I actually used a roku with composite output to watch star trek tng on my CRT(they make RCA/BNC adapters btw). Oh and, make sure you get the proper RGBs cables because that unit does not support YPbPr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Your adapter will probably work. 15khz and 31khz just refer to the horizontal scan rate and are the easiest way of referring to a lot of different combinations of resolutions and vertical refresh rates. "How many times per second can you draw a line" is basically the most important detail for determining compatibility in the analog realm.

15khz is mostly used by anything 5th gen or earlier console wise, and any home computer that either hooked up to a normal TV or used CGA graphics, and was basically the broadcast standard for over 50 years. 31khz came around with the VGA standard and is usually the lowest scanrate supported by VGA CRT monitors. Also most 6th and 7th generation consoles supported 480 over component, and DVDs also use 480p, which are 31khz signals.

Also, it's hard to tell from just that picture but it looks like you've got some convergence issues.