Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Congrats to Spacejung not only on winning here but getting to knock another of my crappy teams out of the playoffs in another league this upcoming week. :shepface:

Gg quiet but we gotta stop running into each other this way

Ps I told you you were no underdog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

funkybottoms posted:

that sucked.

we both hate Tyler Higbee, just in different ways.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Not confident in my Evans vs your Godwin even with a 10pt advantage.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Merry Christmas beer goons. Hope Santa left something very drinkable in your stocking. :cheersdoge:

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Veritek83 posted:

we both hate Tyler Higbee, just in different ways.

well, well, well, if it isn't the ironic consequences of my own past actions

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

:siren: It's Championship Time! :siren:

Trappist Friermuth and Seven-round Mock Draught face off in the title game and are both guaranteed to win a quantity of beer. If you guys have any general preferences it wouldn't be a bad idea to state them now.

In the 3rd-place game, fighting it out for two boxes of beer are Saison Barley and Indianapolis Kolsch

Meanwhile, despite a hell of a tough year, Alex Smith's Mangled Leg has gutted out two wins in the consolation bracket and has a shot to come away with a box if they can beat fellow Ale division team Pliny the Younghoe Koo.

I'll have to doublecheck but I think Saison Barley is still in possession of the high score box.

If you're new to the league this year or have moved since last year, please let me know the state/general region you're in so I'll know for shipping assignments.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

I知 in KC MO and enjoy local brew from local locales wherever they may be.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Daniel Jones about to deny me some 3rd place beer

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I, your back to back consolation bracket winner, am located in Northern CA. I like anything besides milkshake IPAs and smoothie sours.

Let this be an inspiration: you can draft terribly, blow all your FAAB by mid-season, and have your zero RB approach completely fail and still finish a solid 7th in a fantasy football league. 🏆

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Daniel Jones about to deny me some 3rd place beer

I am absolutely dreading Monday Night Football

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

72 points from Burrow + Mixon + Diggs? Possible, but I'm not that lucky

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Think we're on a holding pattern here. I don't want to get into the weeds of how to proceed until we have a better idea what the league is going to do.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

ESPN's latest announcement

quote:

Due to the circumstances of Monday's Bills vs Bengals game, ESPN Fantasy Football will officially score fantasy matchups for week 17 and week 18 (if applicable) only after the Bills vs Bengals game is ruled final (either after being played or cancelled). For scoring we will use the official NFL player statistics for the game. Points for Bills and Bengals players will remain as they appear until the game is played or cancelled and will be updated following that time. This may impact matchup results, league champions and final standings for your league. The current matchup period will be extended until Thursday to support this approach. Our thoughts continue to be with Damar Hamlin and his family.

I apparently wasn't thinking straight because this doesn't have any effect on the championship match in any way, since the only player impacted in that match was Josh Allen and Seven-round Mock Draught already has a lead and doesn't need those points. Pliny the Younghoe has the consolation bracket victory locked up as well. This means the only thing to consider is the 3rd-place game between Saison Barley and Indianapolis Kolsch.

I figure there's three options.

1: Call the match final with the score as it is right now. This would hand Barley the 3rd-place prize. It'd be a hell of an uphill climb for Kolsch to have won this though it certainly wouldn't have been impossible with the three players he had left.

2: Split the prize. This would give both teams one box of beer.

3: Wait and see. The league could decide to continue play of this game but from the sounds of it, they're expecting the Bills and Bengals to play their regular Week 18 matchups this weekend, which makes me feel like its doubtful. This also means a postponement of prize disbursement of at least two weeks unless they're going to have the teams finish the game tomorrow and push their week 18 matches into the middle of next week.

Veritek and Wild Man of Yolo, I'd like to hear your opinions specifically but anyone who has any thoughts on this feel free to chime in. Personally my inclination is to go with option #2 so as not to drag things out. There is no perfect solution here but that feels like the least problematic imo. We can at least wait until tomorrow to make a final decision. In the mean time I'll begin working on distribution assignments. Should have that mostly done within 48-72 hours.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I would prefer that the value of my 3 boxes goes here, if that doesn't completely gently caress up the distribution plan:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Doesn't affect me really but I don't see the harm in waiting, the NFL has to come to a conclusion on this by tomorrow I would think. It affects how other teams will game plan for this week. And we don't ship our boxes until around the Super Bowl usually anyway, right?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Certainly no harm in waiting on the league to figure things out.

I'll happily make a $50 donation to the Damar Hamlin fundraiser in addition to sending out a box of beer- picking out the local beers I send is part of the fun of this league.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

spacejung posted:

I would prefer that the value of my 3 boxes goes here, if that doesn't completely gently caress up the distribution plan:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

I think the two issues with that are we'd either need three participants to voluntarily bow out of shipping beer or I'd have to assign three of us to do so. That takes three locations out of the pot and yeah, it does potentially make it a bit tougher to figure out what goes where without overloading from one area.

coronaball posted:

Doesn't affect me really but I don't see the harm in waiting, the NFL has to come to a conclusion on this by tomorrow I would think. It affects how other teams will game plan for this week. And we don't ship our boxes until around the Super Bowl usually anyway, right?

Veritek83 posted:

Certainly no harm in waiting on the league to figure things out.

I'll happily make a $50 donation to the Damar Hamlin fundraiser in addition to sending out a box of beer- picking out the local beers I send is part of the fun of this league.

And yeah, we can wait longer. I think this is all just making me anxious. I feel like I'm supposed to be doing something.

We can all donate to Damar's fundraiser but I don't want to make it a requirement for anyone. I'll probably chip in a little something myself but I just put in some money to a Gofundme for a the surviving family of an acquaintance in town who just died. Lady was only 35 and my daughter and hers went to the same preschool. :(

Edit: I'm tired. Trying to say if we did all want to chip in and donate something collectively I'm okay with that but I also don't want anyone to feel obligated if they've already donated.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 5, 2023

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I知 going to be spending the next month plus traveling a ton for work (no where good), so I知 more than happy to donate the cost of my box to something instead.

I was actually thinking of sending someone a tavour gift card once I saw my work schedule just so no one is waiting on me.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/st...ingawful.com%2F

Think they got it figured out

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Distro assignments are in progress. Appreciate everyone's patience while I sort this out.

Alfalfa posted:

I知 going to be spending the next month plus traveling a ton for work (no where good), so I知 more than happy to donate the cost of my box to something instead.

I was actually thinking of sending someone a tavour gift card once I saw my work schedule just so no one is waiting on me.

If the donation is easier for you and Spacejung is still fine with it I'll count that as your contribution. Would just need a receipt. Would rather not do more than this as it mucks up distribution.

Fwiw to everyone, we have four people in California in this league and three of them in pretty close proximity to each other. Also two members in Virginia. I try to give the top team (and the 2nd team to a lesser extent) as varied a set of boxes as I can but it can get a little complicated. I just don't want to end up in a situation where half the league does this and our prize winner ends up with pretty much the same stuff from multiple sources.

And yeah, with that out of the way we just need to figure out what to do with the 3rd-place prize. Working on something right now.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Happy to split the 3rd place prize between myself and The Wild Man of YOLO, since there was a distinct possibility that Bills-Bengals was on it's way to a huge shootout

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Distro assignments are in progress. Appreciate everyone's patience while I sort this out.

If the donation is easier for you and Spacejung is still fine with it I'll count that as your contribution. Would just need a receipt. Would rather not do more than this as it mucks up distribution.

Fine by me, thank you.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Goon Beer League 2023 results!

2022 Champion Worthleast/Seven-round Mock Draught! (5 boxes)

Silver medalist Spacejung/Trappist Friermuth 88! (3 boxes)

3rd-place co-finalists Veritek83/Saison Barley and Wild Man of Yolo/Indianapolis Kolsch! (1 box each)

Once again, the "You Tried" consolation trophy winner is Coronaball/Pliny the Younghoe Koo! (1 box)

The "Please Stop He's Already Dead" High Score Trophy goes to Saison Barley for his week 8, 168-point thrashing of ice Cold Coorsdarelle. This is his second year in a row winning it! (1 box)

Shipping assignments are posted below. A reminder that beer boxes are due out shortly after the league ends, with the target date being before February 3, 2022. I understand life gets in the way but do your best to get it there before the Super Bowl.

1: Worthleast (Seven-Round Mock Draught) 5 Boxes
-Coronaball
-Funkybottom
-Spacejung
-Quiet Feet
-Yellow Dart

2: Spacejung (Trappist Friermuth 88) 3 Boxes
-Alfalfa
-Veritek83
-Worthleast

3: Veritek83(Saison Barley) 2 Boxes (1 3rd-place, 1 hi-score)
-Zam
-Ayudo

4: Wild Man of Yolo (Indianapolis Kolsch) (1 3rd-place)
-YamataNoOrochi

5: Coronaball (Pliny the Younghoe Koo) 1 Box (Consolation)
-Wild Man of Yolo

I swear to god I lose more brain every year coordinating this step.

Shippers, now is a good time to talk to your recipients to see if they have any specific requests. Recipients, if you have any strong preferences or dislikes, now would be a good time to voice them. Reminder that you don't need to show receipts for the beer you bought but you do need to provide tracking info to myself and to your recipient.

A strange brew of a season, all bottled and capped! Congrats to all of our winners and thank you to everyone who took part! Thank you once again all, especially Veritek83 and Wild Man of Yolo for your patience in untangling the mess that was week 17. :cheersbird:

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Hi all, I would prefer something I can stick in the fridge and enjoy in the future so no growlers please.

Nice season pretty tight and I'm glad my Kelce and Andrews experiment didn't completely kneecap me.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

coronaball posted:

I, your back to back consolation bracket winner, am located in Northern CA. I like anything besides milkshake IPAs and smoothie sours.

Still accurate!

Edit: Worthleast doesn't seem to have PMs. Please email me your shipping address at eric.ruth@gmail.com.

coronaball fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 8, 2023

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

coronaball posted:

Still accurate!

Edit: Worthleast doesn't seem to have PMs. Please email me your shipping address at.

I upgraded finally to PMs, so hit me there.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

Happy to split the 3rd place prize between myself and The Wild Man of YOLO, since there was a distinct possibility that Bills-Bengals was on it's way to a huge shootout

Very gracious of you, thank you!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Quiet Feet posted:

Goon Beer League 2023 results!

thanks again, Feet; sorry the season ended on such a bizarre note

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Got my donation sent in this morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Alfalfa posted:

Got my donation sent in this morning.

Thanks Alfalfa!

My box to Worthleast should be shipping tomorrow. Everyone else doing alright?

For that matter, anyone have any proposals for rule changes for next year?

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Thanks Alfalfa!

My box to Worthleast should be shipping tomorrow. Everyone else doing alright?

For that matter, anyone have any proposals for rule changes for next year?

I bought the beer going to Worthleast and will try to ship out tomorrow as well.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

About to head out and drop off my package. I feel like a shill for saying this but Pirateship takes a bit of the sting out of this part.

Would normally include a short letter with a sentence or two on the beers I picked but I'm not super insightful and my brain is kinda fried today so, Worthleast, you'll have to discover these ones for yourself! Suffice it to say it's all beers/breweries I really enjoy. Except the IPAs, they all taste similar enough to me that I just kinda shrug and include a few I've heard good things about.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

About to head out and drop off my package. I feel like a shill for saying this but Pirateship takes a bit of the sting out of this part.

Would normally include a short letter with a sentence or two on the beers I picked but I'm not super insightful and my brain is kinda fried today so, Worthleast, you'll have to discover these ones for yourself! Suffice it to say it's all beers/breweries I really enjoy. Except the IPAs, they all taste similar enough to me that I just kinda shrug and include a few I've heard good things about.

Will post a report of my favorites. Thanks mate.

Spacejung should be receiving my box tomorrow.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Sent mine to Worthleast on Tuesday, should be there soon!

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Just handed off spacejung's box to UPS and PM'ed the tracking info.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I have shipped to Worthleast and sent tracking info.

Will post each of my beautiful winnings soon.

Thanks Alfalfa for taking care of the dono!

This will be my last foray into this league so if you want to get started recruiting another goon into my spot for next season, you can get a head start.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

the yellow dart posted:

Sent mine to Worthleast on Tuesday, should be there soon!

He reported it arriving!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

My box to Worthleast arrived! Actually a while ago but now that the season is over my brain just sort of shut off the fact that this subforum exists.

spacejung posted:

I have shipped to Worthleast and sent tracking info.

Will post each of my beautiful winnings soon.

Thanks Alfalfa for taking care of the dono!

This will be my last foray into this league so if you want to get started recruiting another goon into my spot for next season, you can get a head start.

Thanks for being such a dependable part of the league and a good sport and competitor for so long. Glad we could send you off with a little something this year. :)

I was debating the same and decided to come back for another year. I was going through some home life/mental health issues between 2020-early 2022 and I only realized after the 2021 season was over how much I was leaning on fantasy results to be the one thing that got me through the week, and how negatively it was affecting my mood when things didn't go right. I'm in a better place now but it has made me step back and evaluate my relationship with fantasy. Losing last year left me feeling lovely for a month afterward and I'm hoping it didn't come out too much here. Losing this year, well, losing sucks of course, but I moved past it a hell of a lot quicker.

Anyway, cheers all! Looks like

Spacejung
Yellow Dart
Myself
Veritek83
Alfalfa

Have all shipped. Hope the rest of the boxes are coming along well.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I've got a tracking # from Ayudo. Should have some beer photos to share on Friday.

e: and thank you to Quiet Feet for commishing and all of you for another great year- over the years this has become one of the two or three leagues I really enjoy competing in and it's not just because of the beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

My box to Worthleast arrived! Actually a while ago but now that the season is over my brain just sort of shut off the fact that this subforum exists.

Thanks for being such a dependable part of the league and a good sport and competitor for so long. Glad we could send you off with a little something this year. :)

I was debating the same and decided to come back for another year. I was going through some home life/mental health issues between 2020-early 2022 and I only realized after the 2021 season was over how much I was leaning on fantasy results to be the one thing that got me through the week, and how negatively it was affecting my mood when things didn't go right. I'm in a better place now but it has made me step back and evaluate my relationship with fantasy. Losing last year left me feeling lovely for a month afterward and I'm hoping it didn't come out too much here. Losing this year, well, losing sucks of course, but I moved past it a hell of a lot quicker.

Anyway, cheers all! Looks like

Spacejung
Yellow Dart
Myself
Veritek83
Alfalfa

Have all shipped. Hope the rest of the boxes are coming along well.

I have received four boxes so far:
-Funkybottom
-Spacejung
-Quiet Feet
-Yellow Dart

Waiting on one more to post a picture of the complete prize.

And I have sent mine to Spacejung.