Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

GAG note:
Hello!
We made this thread to discuss a general approach or (perceived) shift in culture and moderation and we decided to keep it up as a general byob feedback thread for everyone to use.
This is not meant as some sort of replacement for pms, emails or QCS, please feel free to use any of those means to get in touch if you have any problems or suggestion or complain, it's an additional public way to discuss things with our little community, without leaving the boundaries of byob. If you have the feeling we mods and IKs do something too much or too little, if you feel something has shifted into something not so cool, if you have a cool idea for byob on a meta level and want to get some feedback, feel free to post! This is not meant as a public place for litigation of specific mod actions (although of course you can always complain or question what we do!), but a civil, dedicated place to discuss meta topics of our little colorful subforum.
You can also always pm your byob mods Manifisto and me, Goons Are Great, or email us (Mani's is manyfisted at gmail and mine is gag.sa@mailbox.org) or, at any time, pm any admin if you rather want to talk to them. We want to be transparent about what we do and we want you to participate in how this place this run, we don't want to dictate content or limit byob to a certain group of posters, so please hit us up if you feel like this is not the case.

Please keep this thread civil and readable, disagreements may happen, that's fine, and always assume that someone complaining is most likely doing so in good faith and from a place of passion and interest in our community. We will moderate this thread harsher if necessary, if you complain about any of the mods or IKs, those you complain about will not abuse their buttons against you and we are open to let an admin take over moderation if necessary.

Thank you, friends, this thread has so far been going great and I hope we can always get your valuable feedback whenever you feel like sharing it!

----------------------------------

if there's anything positive we can take away from the recent series of unhappy posts by a long-time yobber, it's that a bunch of people still care about our little subforum and want it to be a good place to post. obviously as mods GaG and I worry about this but we know other yobbers have perspectives to add, including things they may feel strongly about. we thought it might be helpful to give people an opportunity to air their thoughts about current and future byob, both what you like and want to see more of, and perhaps stuff people think could be better or improved.

if this discussion is going to be useful (and if this thread is going to stay open lol) it is essential that feedback be constructive and with a baseline of respect. this is not the place, for example, to launch into personal attacks and we will shut that kind of thing right down. but we realize some of what people have to say might be critical, or might be perceived that way, and it might be useful to talk some of that stuff out. personally I thought a lot of fair points were raised on various sides in the recent scuffle, mixed in among some less constructive stuff.

we strive to be a welcoming place, we want to encourage posting by keeping things low stakes, but we also love high quality content and effortposts and unexpectedly fun things. it's a unique balance that makes this place special, IMO. what I can say is that neither GaG nor I have ever intended to make this a "safe space" in the technical sense, nor do we have blanket policies against dark or difficult subjects, with the exception of partisan politics. but we also care about people's perceptions of hostility or threat, and if a lot of people feel strongly about something a balancing act may be required. where we strike that balance though is a fair point for discussion. to what extent, for example, should we expect people to simply not participate in threads that are on subjects that they personally find distressing? is putting a temporary hold on a sensitive thread the equivalent of shutting down discussion?

finally, I wanted to reiterate that GaG and I are always ready to chat about things privately. we have a number of channels for this: pms, email (I am manyfisted at gmail.com, gag is gag.sa at mailbox.org), private chat on discord is fine too if you happen to be on that platform and one of us is around. there is also the report system, which we mods check pretty diligently, and if you want to talk to someone who's not a mod we usually have an ik who might be a useful alternative source. please don't hesitate to reach out, is what we're saying.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i'll be honest - i completely understand why some people were uncomfortable with the thread, but i also fully support people being able to use black humor within byob to cope with real life stresses. thats not to say that one should have more power over the other but there have been plenty of posts in byob that i was personally not comfortable with that went wholly unchecked regardless of whether i spoke up or not. i don't know if that's because i wasn't seen as a true byob at that point or what but it feels weird to me that a thread could be closed based on a couple people feeling uncomfortable whereas i have literally reported posts to mods and have never once seen a mod come through or follow up with me about it.

byob needs to be a place where people can feel free to chill and post even if that means that things occasionally get a little edgy. life is not always daisies and roses and i think we should appreciate the fact that some people use byob as a ventilation shaft for these pressures just as much as people use byob as a form of escapism. you will never please 100% of either party

anyway i don't really have a plan or an idea on how to strike a balance there i just wanted to get that off my chest. some of my favorite byob posts of all times have come from within threads that could have conceivably been closed or gassed for content reasons and i enjoy that there is some relative leeway for posting here in ways that might otherwise get you probed in a gray forum. not every post has to be "Lol I smoked hella weed and pet a cat" although I am doing that right now :cheersdoge:

barnold fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 16, 2022

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
are we talking about the abortion thread or did I miss something

:goofy:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Areola Grande posted:

that was my interpretation of the op indeed

Manifisto

Areola Grande posted:

not just about that, necessarily, but yeah that's certainly a topic that people might want to talk about.

barnold, I agree about edgy posts/threads having their place. I am struggling to recall any significant number of threads or posts being gassed or closed or edited because of "edginess" during my tenure. I honestly don't have any clue about which past reported incidents you're talking about so it's hard to address them specifically. but I can think of about a dozen ways that the situations might have been different from the recent thread--or not, as the case may be.

certainly the recent situation was driven a lot by the existence of multiple complaints/reports and by the close link to a current event of unusual significance (at least in the eyes of some, and I'm included in that category even though I did not personally have an issue with the thread in question). I think that last part bears some serious consideration, it's not simply something that people were taking offense at in the abstract, it was something unfolding right at that minute of pretty overwhelming importance. perhaps not to everyone, but that's the point I guess, taking into account perspectives that might not be our own.

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

I think it's a general question for everyone to think about, since we had various situations over time. Remember when covid started and we made the virus thread? Some felt bad about having it, because it already is everywhere in the news and internet, others felt bad for only having that and limiting virus talk to there instead of expressing it openly.

With the abortion thread, as well as any other sensitive thread we had in the past, it's always a question between those who like to post about it openly and use humor to vent, others feel like it's too much and since every other forum does it, we don't need it here.

So what we are asking you is your opinion about this as well as anything else regarding the style and forum culture byob has. Some are unhappy with what we do now, dct certainly made it clear that he is as well as others, which is fine and fair. We can't please everyone, some may favor more posts, less content, more words and just have fun while posting whatever, others might like to see better attempts at humor, more words, more effort and a stricter hand in how we janitor around here.

It's an entirely open discussion for anyone to have, byob certainly has changed over the years and that's just the way it goes, we want to know how you perceive the changes, whether you like it or not, if you enjoy it or not or if you wish we as community would do something different. Obviously also what role, if any, we mods play or should play in this.
So yeah, it's basically a feedback thread in a general way and any and all opinions are welcome.

Tebulot

im hip now bois

As an extreme long term lurker, I've always seen BYOB as the polar opposite to FYAD. Its not a grey forum, it has its own internal culture and style, and if this was only a safe space posting zone then it'd become very boring very quickly. Its also difficult to push a lot of people with different values together and expect a cohesive, collective agreement of what is and isn't funny.

I like how drat weird this place can get, and I like that it's not as prickly as the pink forum.

It may just be my background, but I don't find very many topics off limits for humour, and for a lot of people that element of black, dark or crispy humour is important. It's just gotta be framed the right way.

Not sure what I'm getting at here now I think about it. I guess... Pointing out that this place benefits from the edgier stuff sometimes, but on a tight leash otherwise it ends up being more like the pink or grey zones.

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
I'm pretty satisfied with BYOB as it is now. Over the time that I've been posting here, there have been very few (non-joke) probes, and only a handful of threads gassed. This suggests to me that most yobbers and the mods here are pretty much on the same page. BYOB contributes very little content to the Leper's Colony, the Toxic Waste Dump, and QCS, which suggests to me that we don't need to make any major course corrections.

I believe the no politics rule has been a good thing for BYOB. It has helped keep threads more or less on track, and mostly eliminated the absolutist noise that permeates some other forums. BYOB doesn't have to try to be all things to all people. It's not as if this is the only place on SA or the Internet where people can post. I like the idea of "an island of chill and magic in a sea of madness".

nut

gunshot sound effect when u hit post

barnold

Barking Gecko posted:

BYOB doesn't have to try to be all things to all people. It's not as if this is the only place on SA or the Internet where people can post.

do you genuinely believe that if posters may not agree, that they should just find another place to post on the internet? this is not particularly productive and quite frankly a little offensive imo. I would never tell a byob "if you don't agree with the way I want to post then you can go browse 4chan or Reddit" which is how this comes across to a certain extent

byob shouldn't be a place for people to gatekeep how chill you are. obviously the point of the subforum is that it's a cool place and they say it gets colder. you're bundled up now wait til you get older but the media men beg to differ judging by the hole in the satellite picture. okay im sorry those were lyrics to smash mouth's all star

that doesn't mean it has to accommodate every posting style (and obviously I 100% agree that it really shouldn't) but part of being chill is respecting and understanding each other. enforcing an artificial level of "chill" is not a sustainable way to run a forum and as far as I can tell, is part of the overall negative perception of byob from the forums at large. not that I really care a great deal what gray forums think because they do not have a hammock kitty but it's worth pointing out

anyway really all I'm saying is that I don't think posters should have to worry whether or not their posts are meeting an arbitrary threshold of what is considered "chill" ❤️ I don't think people have to do that in present day byob that is just my one concern moving forward here. i would rather have a place where new posters can come kick it and figure out what byob is all about as opposed to the same 15 people who have a really firm grasp on what byob is posting all the time, like fyad

Barking Gecko

barnold posted:

do you genuinely believe that if posters may not agree, that they should just find another place to post on the internet? this is not particularly productive and quite frankly a little offensive imo. I would never tell a byob "if you don't agree with the way I want to post then you can go browse 4chan or Reddit" which is how this comes across to a certain extent

byob shouldn't be a place for people to gatekeep how chill you are. obviously the point of the subforum is that it's a cool place and they say it gets colder. you're bundled up now wait til you get older but the media men beg to differ judging by the hole in the satellite picture. okay im sorry those were lyrics to smash mouth's all star

that doesn't mean it has to accommodate every posting style (and obviously I 100% agree that it really shouldn't) but part of being chill is respecting and understanding each other. enforcing an artificial level of "chill" is not a sustainable way to run a forum and as far as I can tell, is part of the overall negative perception of byob from the forums at large. not that I really care a great deal what gray forums think because they do not have a hammock kitty but it's worth pointing out

anyway really all I'm saying is that I don't think posters should have to worry whether or not their posts are meeting an arbitrary threshold of what is considered "chill" ❤️ I don't think people have to do that in present day byob that is just my one concern moving forward here. i would rather have a place where new posters can come kick it and figure out what byob is all about as opposed to the same 15 people who have a really firm grasp on what byob is posting all the time, like fyad

Yes, I could have worded that better. I don't think everyone has to agree, and it would be pretty boring if they did. I believe it is good to have a variety of threads and posting styles. I agree with you that a big part of being welcoming is letting people check things out without feeling like there is some sort of arbitrary standard they have to meet.

Stoner Sloth

I expressed some of my views in the the disagreement that started this thread and I guess I'd thought I'd boil it down to something like this;

I'd like this to be a place where pretty much everyone feels comfortable to post, ideally with as light a hand on moderation as possible. However I do think that if some folks are finding a particular topic difficult we could avoid joking about it for a bit without it being a big censorship deal. Not everything is the First Amendment's Last Stand.

This is a smallish group of people for the most part, if someone is being bothered by a particular thing it's kinda a dick move to not avoid that if they ask?

Also there are many, many places on the internet where you can be as dark and edgy as you want - I'm not saying we should try to overly sanitize the place but I think maybe that's generally less important than having a posting place where people don't feel like they're going to be constantly confronted wtih stuff that makes them miserable.

I think that's especially true now given the state of many things in the world.

I guess I just feel that shouldn't require moderation ideally to effect - folks shouldn't worry about meeting a threshold of chill as much as be willing to maybe temporarily drop a certain topic if asked nicely?

Stoner Sloth

barnold posted:

enforcing an artificial level of "chill" is not a sustainable way to run a forum and as far as I can tell, is part of the overall negative perception of byob from the forums at large. not that I really care a great deal what gray forums think because they do not have a hammock kitty but it's worth pointing out

That's fair but it's also worth noting that part of the negative perception of byob around the forums is from when it was considerably less chill and more open to 'anything goes', something it hasn't fully shaken off the rep for. I noticed that it got brought up a few times in the Spaceship thread including altering our travel plans at least once due to it.

Incidentally in that case our response wasn't 'it's censorship to not want our thread in your subforum!', it was to go somewhere else where we had a great time.

e: not suggesting of course we should be that concerned about our rep lol, just saying

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 16, 2022

barnold

Stoner Sloth posted:

Also there are many, many places on the internet where you can be as dark and edgy as you want

okay scloth, I'm going to hold you to this one. list them! list the places you think byobs could go to post edgier material that they would still feel as comfortable posting there as they might in byob. I suspect not many byobs would really feel comfortable posting on, say, /b/ for example

Stoner Sloth posted:

That's fair but it's also worth noting that part of the negative perception of byob around the forums is from when it was considerably less chill and more open to 'anything goes', something it hasn't fully shaken off the rep for. I noticed that it got brought up a few times in the Spaceship thread including altering our travel plans at least once due to it.

Incidentally in that case our response wasn't 'it's censorship to not want our thread in your subforum!', it was to go somewhere else where we had a great time.

e: not suggesting of course we should be that concerned about our rep lol, just saying

this is all very very fair and I completely acknowledge that I wasn't really around for the before times so I will absolutely defer to people who have been around the block a few more times than I have :)

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 16, 2022

Stoner Sloth

barnold posted:

okay scloth, I'm going to hold you to this one. list them! list the places you think byobs could go to post edgier material that they would still feel as comfortable posting there as they might in byob.

list the places other than byob that are byob?

very zen but let me ask you this - have you considered that part of the reason this is a comfortable place to post is that we generally avoid darker and edgier material?

that maybe the reason some other places aren't so comfortable is that they're more open to say jokes about the latest mass shooting?

e: I don't mean to sound flippant there - it's a legit concern and I don't want to drive yobbers away or make them feel suppressed just think that there is a balance we need to work towards maybe? i dunno

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 16, 2022

barnold

Stoner Sloth posted:

very zen but let me ask you this - have you considered that part of the reason this is a comfortable place to post is that we generally avoid darker and edgier material?

I have considered this! and what I decided is that I don't know if I necessarily agree with that assessment, at least in the length of time that I have been posting

Stoner Sloth posted:

e: I don't mean to sound flippant there - it's a legit concern and I don't want to drive yobbers away or make them feel suppressed just think that there is a balance we need to work towards maybe? i dunno

i love you sloth i would never think you are being flippant with me :cabot: same goes for all other byobs. everyone should be proud of what they have contributed to building here

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 16, 2022

Stoner Sloth

barnold posted:

I have considered this! and what I decided is that I don't know if I necessarily agree with that assessment, at least in the length of time that I have been posting

that's fair, I think it's not unrelated even if not a direct correlation. however i do acknowledge that it's very reasonable to feel otherwise.

in any case I'm not suggesting in any way a blanket ban on any particular topic or all edgy humor, just that if people do start feeling uncomfortable with it that we maybe put that topic on hold without feeling any recriminations or needing lengthy arguments or probations. we just joke about something else for a bit.

if there honestly becomes a problem wtih every fifth thread getting shut down then maybe we examine things but :shrug: not many threads get shut down here at all imo

e: ilu too barnold, and all of you good orbs and posting pals!

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

I want to add that I wouldn't change a thing. My reasoning was basically written better than I could by:

Barking Gecko posted:

I'm pretty satisfied with BYOB as it is now. Over the time that I've been posting here, there have been very few (non-joke) probes, and only a handful of threads gassed. This suggests to me that most yobbers and the mods here are pretty much on the same page. BYOB contributes very little content to the Leper's Colony, the Toxic Waste Dump, and QCS, which suggests to me that we don't need to make any major course corrections.

I believe the no politics rule has been a good thing for BYOB. It has helped keep threads more or less on track, and mostly eliminated the absolutist noise that permeates some other forums. BYOB doesn't have to try to be all things to all people. It's not as if this is the only place on SA or the Internet where people can post. I like the idea of "an island of chill and magic in a sea of madness".

:yeah:

Also:

nut posted:

Make it happen, astral. I wanna post like I was in a spaghetti western.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Stoner Sloth

nut posted:

this, except in the spaceship thread which should have a cool lsaer sound

FPzero

Game Over
Return of Mido

I only pop into BYOB on occasion but when I do I'm always appreciative of the "low-stakes" environment here for random discussion. I rarely post in GBS despite reading a lot of it because it feels like everyone's always trying to make a funny post and i just can't do that on a whim. but over here I can pop into the chat thread, say hello, get some hellos back, and feel like it's a very friendly area to just exist around, which is nice because my ventures into here often coincide with feelings of needing a break from the seriousness of life and its anxieties. The types of topics allowed here are fine to me, even with some edge or dark humor, because there's a world of difference in how people reply here versus elsewhere in gray forums.

sig by Heather Papps!

Barking Gecko

One of the things I like about BYOB is that I can almost always safely assume that people are posting in good faith.

Stoner Sloth

Barking Gecko posted:

One of the things I like about BYOB is that I can almost always safely assume that people are posting in good faith.

barnold

Barking Gecko posted:

emptyquote

Heather Papps

hello friend

so i posted a bunch in that one thread, but then got really busy and was not really part of the conversation in the chatte thread about it but uh here are my thoughts.

while dissonance has value it's generally better to match tempo, and harmony is what makes the occasional discordant tone interesting.

also,

Barking Gecko posted:

in most other corners of the internet posts that makes people uncomfortable are intentional. the rare time it happens here it is not the intent. that's pretty special.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

came to say that imo byob doesn't have to be the cuddly weed and cattes forum, but perhaps posting a thread joking about abortion isn't necessary right after a court decision that's obviously a very charged issue? we're usually pretty good about reading the room. i think this was just a one-off that happened to blow up for a few reasons...the fact that it's such an unusual occurrence probably supports that. i can't think of another one since i've returned if that means anything.

Barking Gecko posted:

this is something i really enjoy about posting here. someone (i forget who) mentioned once that there was a "war" between irony and sincerity, but when someone needs support the shitposting takes a back seat and we're all good to each other. we're also a very accepting place it's a nice example of different people, with different senses of humor, being able to coexist and take care of our purple and blue dead gay forum.

nut posted:

astral???

Robot Made of Meat

I have been a BYOB poster (and, unfortunately more of a lurker) for some years now.

Overall, I'm happy that situations like the one we're discussing are very few and far between. I was surprised that the thread in question got posted, and I was not exactly happy about it. It was a thread which I would have preferred not to have seen posted here.

That being said, it was posted. It existed for a while, and then it got shut down. Although I didn't post any objections to it, it's my understanding that objections were posted. BYOB mods took their jobs seriously, discussed the situation, and decided to close the thread. This seemed to me a reasonable response.

Clearly, some people disagreed strongly with the response, but that's how life works sometimes.

After all, let's face it. This is a nice, silly, feel-good sub-forum on a comedy website. It's not a hill, and if it were it'd be a pretty silly one do die on. Threads get closed. Threads get gassed. Life goes on.

I still think that BYOB is the best forum on the internet, and I'm very grateful that our mods keep it running as smoothly as possible. GaG and Manifisto have a pretty sweet gig overall, but sometimes they have to make decisions which will rile someone. I don't envy them that, and I don't think they're doing a bad job.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I have been a BYOB poster (and, unfortunately more of a lurker)

Thou shall not lurk, thou must post!

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Stoner Sloth

Saoshyant posted:

Thou shall not lurk, thou must post!

seconding this important point - BYOB would be improved if Robot Made of Meat posted more!

baka of lathspell

nut posted:

lets go

just another notch
raise my stirrups to the sky
ill be june sunsets

thats my every post a bullet haiku

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

nut

baka fwocka fwame posted:

lets go

just another notch
raise my stirrups to the sky
ill be june sunsets

thats my every post a bullet haiku

I love it

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
it seems to me that byob is in a pretty good place right now. over the years i've drifted away from byob - or maybe byob drifted away from me? but now it's back to that classic yob experience with its fuller flavour and satisfying texture.

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

barnold

Dr. Honked posted:

it seems to me that byob is in a pretty good place right now. over the years i've drifted away from byob - or maybe byob drifted away from me? but now it's back to that classic yob experience with its fuller flavour and satisfying texture.

byob high life - the champagne of subforums

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Barking Gecko posted:

You read my mind. what makes byob so wonderful to me is that it isn't a safe space, it's an open space. a safe space is by it's nature a space with walls, with limits, a closed space. IME byob is a place open to weird ideas, and a place where people have consistently felt comfortable taking risks because of the unwritten rule that makes byob the wonderful place it is: 'assume everyone is posting in good faith and assume every poster has the best of intentions.' That's the tiny magical nugget of human decency that is so rarely found anywhere else on the internet.

tolerance and openness is a two way street imo, and it's really hard work to be open to differing viewpoints and forms of self-expression and humor!! what makes byob so neat is that by and large folks here do the brainwork to stay open. should there be some lines? sure, that's probably for the best, but imo it's best if they're very loosely defined, very very far out there, and completely at the discretion of whoever is a mod at the moment-the capricious nature of moderation on SA is one of the geniuses of the place. The best way to beat the rules lawyers is to keep the rules unwritten.

attacking another poster? pretty unbyob imo. intentionally trolling? not so byob. making fun of people for who they are, not what they do? less byob than might be ideal. not extending our fellow orbs the courtesy of assuming that their intentions are good and that they are posting in good faith? pretty unchill. :justpost:ing whatever bizarre joke or idea comes into your head with little regard for the consequences? extremely byob. if it crosses whatever arbitrary lines may or may not exist in the sand, i have complete faith that GaG and Manifisto will see that a thread finds it's happy green resting place, perhaps accompanied by a kind message to explain why it didn't meet the high posting standards byob expects and requires.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Robot Made of Meat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You read my mind. what makes byob so wonderful to me is that it isn't a safe space, it's an open space. a safe space is by it's nature a space with walls, with limits, a closed space. IME byob is a place open to weird ideas, and a place where people have consistently felt comfortable taking risks because of the unwritten rule that makes byob the wonderful place it is: 'assume everyone is posting in good faith and assume every poster has the best of intentions.' That's the tiny magical nugget of human decency that is so rarely found anywhere else on the internet.

tolerance and openness is a two way street imo, and it's really hard work to be open to differing viewpoints and forms of self-expression and humor!! what makes byob so neat is that by and large folks here do the brainwork to stay open. should there be some lines? sure, that's probably for the best, but imo it's best if they're very loosely defined, very very far out there, and completely at the discretion of whoever is a mod at the moment-the capricious nature of moderation on SA is one of the geniuses of the place. The best way to beat the rules lawyers is to keep the rules unwritten.

attacking another poster? pretty unbyob imo. intentionally trolling? not so byob. making fun of people for who they are, not what they do? less byob than might be ideal. not extending our fellow orbs the courtesy of assuming that their intentions are good and that they are posting in good faith? pretty unchill. :justpost:ing whatever bizarre joke or idea comes into your head with little regard for the consequences? extremely byob. if it crosses whatever arbitrary lines may or may not exist in the sand, i have complete faith that GaG and Manifisto will see that a thread finds it's happy green resting place, perhaps accompanied by a kind message to explain why it didn't meet the high posting standards byob expects and requires.

Robot Made of Meat

Hot take: I think it's nice when people are nice, and they post nice things.

This is especially true in a nice forum.

nut

I am going to fight Kaiser after school by the flagpole

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

nut posted:

gently caress him up u got this. I've always said so

Goons Are Gifts

Thank you for all your thoughts, you won't believe how happy I am that we can have a feedback thread like that and hear everyone out without it turning into some QCS pitfight, I do think this is special for a subforum and I think it also proves a point about how beautiful all of you guys are!

Barking Gecko posted:

I love this and I also will admit that I believe that in the past, there were cases where I did not do so and it led to problems that are entirely on me. As a mod, you tend to read a lot of bad stuff all around, the mod forum is a chill place (I know this sounds scary!) but it is also full of posts and reports of people not posting in good faith and sometimes it's easy to forget what you are dealing with. I sincerely hope I have improved and can further improve on that front and not be too harsh or just assume someone's coming in to be mean, because bottom line is, most stuff that happens in byob that needs to have some sort of moderation action comes from a sincere, positive attitude and someone believing they are trying to do something good, even though it sometimes does not look like it. I am truly sorry if anyone here or anywhere ever had the feeling that I was reading a bad intention into their complaint when they truly were coming from a good place. We might not agree on how to do stuff, but I always appreciate another perspective.

I also do agree that stuff like this is a clear case-by-case thing, which is why I, personally, have always been careful with our blanket no politics rule, too. I do not think that it's unreasonable to make fun of a politician's terrible haircut, but it also might become a hot bottom issue with a lot of emotions coming out when that dude is even more terrible than his haircut and makes the news just now. I think it's fine to post about sensitive or news stuff, even if it's adjacent to politics and I do hope that no one has felt like we were trying to press hard on this part of the rules either, but I also think it's fine to sometimes put a limit on how deep we want that rabbit hole to become.
Of course, not everyone might agree with a particular decision or approach and that is totally fine, which is why I want to put another emphasis how welcome everyone is to pm or email us if you have questions, thoughts or complaints about anything. We can always explain our reasoning to you and talk about it, manifisto and me have a direct line to each other and we discuss pretty much anything that happens right away, alnilam probably can confirm that because I bothered him for absolutely EVERYTHING when I came in as a mod. We want to make certain that everyone knows that they can reach us and talk to us and discuss things with us. Please feel free to complain immediately if you feel like we are playing favorites or something, it is the opposite of what we are trying to do.

nut posted:

although some ideas are just objectively correct and need to happen imo

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

nut posted:

sorry but the only fight i will participate in with you is a hug fight!!!

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

it’s gonna be so easy to kick his rear end