Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Company has the best consoles and games?
Nintendo
Sega
Sony
Microsoft
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The joke is that Uncle doesn't really want to associate with them most of the time because they are character archetypes that would be annoying to deal with in real life.

I'm saying that later in the manga that isn't even the joke anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the biggest crime of this manga is it's not as funny as konasuba and it's somehow slower paced.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

i think the biggest crime of this manga is it's not as funny as konasuba and it's somehow slower paced.

I re-watched Konosuba a few weeks ago and while still very enjoyable, I've definitively been laughing a lot harder at Isekai Uncle.

I feel Isekai Uncle will be better as a short (1 season anime) adaptation to hit all the main comedy points and end on a high, rather than 50+ chapters trying to wring out as much comedy value as possible from every possible minutiae of isekai tropes. Whereas Konosuba does have an overall long-form story arc it's working towards.

This might be one of the few that ends up in the "skip the manga, watch the anime" bin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jomo posted:

I re-watched Konosuba a few weeks ago and while still very enjoyable, I've definitively been laughing a lot harder at Isekai Uncle.

I feel the same, but I think it's mainly because I like the "gag manga with funny faces/panels" thing Isekai Uncle does more (I'm just reading the manga because I usually prefer that to watching anime). I hope the anime is doing a good job of reproducing faces like the one I included in my last post.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Isekai Uncle does the anime Watamote thing of where you can viscerally feel the cringe of your knowledge of tropes/cliches clashing with his lack of awareness as a big part of the humour so far.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jomo posted:

I feel Isekai Uncle will be better as a short (1 season anime) adaptation to hit all the main comedy points and end on a high, rather than 50+ chapters trying to wring out as much comedy value as possible from every possible minutiae of isekai tropes. Whereas Konosuba does have an overall long-form story arc it's working towards.

This might be one of the few that ends up in the "skip the manga, watch the anime" bin.

i didn't finish watching konasuba and the LNs were better I think. mostly because it was going for different jokes than the anime did.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-07-26/uncle-from-another-world-anime-delays-episode-5-to-august-17-due-to-covid-19/.188065

Isekai Ojisan is taking a 2 week break due to covid affecting the studio. Oof.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

U.S. Netflix being 2 weeks behind finally paid off. Probably.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nephew is fantastically dense even by anime standards.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't think Nephew is that dense, or at least I don't think the evidence is conclusive one way or another. We don't really see his expressions whenever he's interacting with Fujimiya, it's entirely possible he has an idea she's interested in him but he's not taking any chances to act on it because (a) she's his childhood friend and he maybe doesn't want to rush anything and ruin that (b) literally just met up with her extremely recently and maybe wants to get to know her again first and thus is passing on outwardly returning those feelings, especially since beyond being flustered she's not consciously indicating anything to him yet. So maybe he's giving her time.

This is anime so the above is what reasonable human beings might consider and maybe doesn't apply here though. :v:

But because of it though I'm not 100% sure that he's dense.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Raenir Salazar posted:

(b) literally just met up with her extremely recently and maybe wants to get to know her again first and thus is passing on outwardly returning those feelings, especially since beyond being flustered she's not consciously indicating anything to him yet. So maybe he's giving her time.

She went and sat next to him on his bed with nothing but his shirt on and told him that she wants him to look at her like that.
If that's your idea of not indicating anything, you may be similarly dense as he is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

She went and sat next to him on his bed with nothing but his shirt on and told him that she wants him to look at her like that.
If that's your idea of not indicating anything, you may be similarly dense as he is.

Look, that could mean anything.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I don't remember this scene happening yet, was there a new episode?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
tbh i would not have noticed either, even if it's obvious from an outside perspective.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I interpret it as placing her at arms length because Takafumi still has lingering trauma from being bullied by her as kids.

Plus judging by later in the manga where he gets creepily jealous anytime another man is even near Fujimiya he probably has some messed up ideas of what reciprocating even means.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't remember this scene happening yet, was there a new episode?

Oh yeah, there's an episode 4 around. I was assuming you'd have seen that one. Sorry about that. Arguing that it's subtle after that episode is a bit pointless.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 28, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isekai Uncle does the anime Watamote thing of where you can viscerally feel the cringe of your knowledge of tropes/cliches clashing with his lack of awareness as a big part of the humour so far.

I knew I’d like this show as soon as the truck missed in the first 10 seconds

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Oh yeah, there's an episode 4 around. I was assuming you'd have seen that one. Sorry about that. Arguing that it's subtle after that episode is a bit pointless.

This is why I get ornery about spoilers. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
drat you just really want to keep rooting for the Elf girl. She goes through so much.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Seeing the nephew reading The Familiar of Zero was a blast from the past.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Shyrka posted:

Seeing the nephew reading The Familiar of Zero was a blast from the past.

:hai:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Raenir Salazar posted:

drat you just really want to keep rooting for the Elf girl. She goes through so much.

It's rough because you know she's not gonna get anywhere lol.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Talorat posted:

It turns out that they got lovingly married and had a house and ugly children. The uncle just did not realize that this was happening.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Talorat posted:

They might! Who knows since Uncle made himself forget a ton of stuff

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Just watched the 5th episode. God-drat does this show make me laugh like a madman; really hoping the hiatus problems smooth out, otherwise this is still my #1 pick of the season and top 5 for the year.

Also like how it portrays his lack of social ineptitude: when the ice girl asked him for bath money he kept hammering the point of selling the ring instead of "here's 5bux for now, just pay me back whenever" like most people would do. Knew of people like that back in high-school who could not read social situations at all and once they latched onto an idea they thought was the best/correct one. Almost as if they viewed everything as a video game strategy...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think its more that he has a one track mind/tunnel vision/hyperfocus which translates easily to getting really good at video games.

I like the way he blunders his way into the hearts of his companions, it feels more grounded than other harem isekai anime; and is funnier because it actually backfires on him. The people feel like people. You get more of a sense that he's accidentally pulling off the tall dark and brooding thing.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The bait and switch between Mabel's harsh introduction to the real world and then the description of the sweetheart jobs she was offered was really well done.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm just glad someone else remembers Dynamite Headdy

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I was hooting and hollering at the alien soldier reference. What a good rear end game.

Also drat you speedrunners :negative:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Hilariously I’m actually here for them filling out the Isekai World Lore. This show is pretty one track and predictable, but it continues to be funny and great.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Talorat posted:

Hilariously I’m actually here for them filling out the Isekai World Lore. This show is pretty one track and predictable, but it continues to be funny and great.

Yeah there's like, actually a sort of plot now, and what's interesting is since we're kinda experiencing it after the fact it feels like a much more interesting mystery because they can't just go teleport and "ask" people; they have to rely on whether he happened to be in the room when it went down.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I just caught up on this and I hope it isn't an entire season of this guy debasing himself for 17 years. It is just far too predictable right now.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

dipwood posted:

I just caught up on this and I hope it isn't an entire season of this guy debasing himself for 17 years. It is just far too predictable right now.

Takafumi is actually a clone and and the nurse from the first episode is Elf.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
We're all debasing ourselves as we sleepwalk through a world that was nothing like the one promised to us in our youth.

So really, Uncle is just a really good social commentary on the lost Millennial generation and our collective need for escape.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I started watching this tonight, and while Uncle seems to be doing well so far, I want something good to happen for him.

Also god drat I'm older than Uncle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
He looked like that when he was young too, so...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Clarste posted:

He looked like that when he was young too, so...

It's kinda blink if you miss it but when he initially appears he actually does have "boyish good looks" which nose dives into what he looks like today very fast.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I don't think anything bad happened to Elf but instead Takafumi eventually figures it out that he has been unknowingly playing with her feelings for so long so he mind wipes himself because the embarrassment is too great to bear.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 22, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Spoilers? Are you saying that is your theory or did you read ahead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have not read anything ahead, but "something terrible happened and everyone he knew in the other world died horribly" seems pretty off the tone of the show so far, so I doubt it's that. He probably just did something very cringe.