Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Man's best friend?
Cat
Dog
Why not both?
Bird
View Results

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

This game is full of personality and charm, very impressive for a studio's first release. Puzzles and platforming seem to be pretty good too, not overly complex, but challenging enough to be engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ninjahedgehog posted:

Until someone mods in a dilute tortoiseshell so I can play as my cat, I will not be playing this game. :colbert:

ok fine I'll play it

If this game gets any mods I fully expect that to be one of the first ones.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

mactheknife posted:

I'd like to hear if anyone is playing it on PS4 before I buy - worried about graphic quality

Played the first hour on PS4 and it was fine.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone else get stuck on the bar? Like, stuck stuck?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

poemdexter posted:

Played the first hour on PS4 and it was fine.

Loading times feel pretty long, though.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

GoutPatrol posted:

Loading times feel pretty long, though.

This is true. I let myself die a few times at the first opportunity to do so but the loading times were pretty long. Gameplay feels smooth otherwise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

itry posted:

If this game gets any mods I fully expect that to be one of the first ones.

a Big Mode mod that just has you play as a maine coon

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Not just that, but a dedicated meow ACHIEVEMENT for meowing 100 times! :3:

Also, does anyone know where to find the third energy drink in the slums? I've just finished climbing the zurk-infested tower to install the antenna, if that helps.

EDIT: nevermind, I found it! As Push El Burrito says below, If you go to Grandma and look for a ladder with some stairs next to it, then go up those stairs and immediately turn around there's a place you can jump up with a vending machine on it. Just don't jump down like I did because it will send you into a wall.

Deathslinger fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 25, 2022

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Probably flattened itself out and went right through a seam in the wall.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CircularSimilarBigmouthbass-mobile.mp4

Cats do not abide by the rules of nature.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Drinkslinger posted:

Also, does anyone know where to find the third energy drink in the slums? I've just finished climbing the zurk-infested tower to install the antenna, if that helps.

EDIT: nevermind, I found it!

Care to share with the class? I'm having problems finding it too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jandipoo posted:

Care to share with the class? I'm having problems finding it too.

It's probably the one that's in the video I posted. If you go to Grandma and look for a ladder with some stairs next to it, then go up those stairs and immediately turn around there's a place you can jump up with a vending machine on it. Just don't jump down like I did because it will send you into a wall.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Because I am a big emotional doofus when it comes to cute little baby kitties, I would like two specific spoilers on this game before I play any more of it.

1) Does the main cat die? In fact, do any cats die at all?

2) Do I make it back to my cute baby kitty family?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Push El Burrito posted:

Probably flattened itself out and went right through a seam in the wall.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CircularSimilarBigmouthbass-mobile.mp4

Cats do not abide by the rules of nature.

I've only experienced one glitch: I jump onto a ledge and when I jumped off it would just put me back on the same ledge.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Because I am a big emotional doofus when it comes to cute little baby kitties, I would like two specific spoilers on this game before I play any more of it.

would like to know these things too. I would have stopped playing if they did the thing where my kitty family gets killed to spur the protagonist cat into action. :ohdear:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The main cat gets hurt and retires to a farm in the countryside off screen

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

meow

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

polygon actually put out a whole article for this!

in response to question one, anyway.

no, the cat does not die

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Oh my god the way the cat just flops over when b-12 puts the backpack on it, and then walks all weird for a bit is so good

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
this might be the cutest game I've ever played. the attention to detail with the cat animations. just fantastic

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

I've just finished the game and:

1. No
2All signs point to likely

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I launched the game and it immediately crashed my PS5. Like, not close-to-dashboard, it cut the power and did the database rebuild. The second launch it killed video out but I got it back by switching inputs and switching back. So, that's something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm a couple hours in. Very cute game, they definitely nailed the personality of being a cat. So far the most implausible aspect is that a cat would actually help people, but I'll just assume he has its own motives and anything useful he does is strictly coincidental.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Finished the game, missed 4 memories. In-game time says 6 hours 11 minutes.

The game is cute and pretty, the cat is very lifelike. The gameplay is very simple though and I'm not sure if this game would be worth playing (full price anyway) without the novelty of being a cat.

The story is your basic what's left after humanity disappears/eats itself. There were a couple or more contrivances where they had you leave characters behind to keep the basic gameplay formula going. Not bad overall, just basic. Like the gameplay.

Good soundtrack and sound design. Pretty good UI and use of lights and movement to guide players.

Don't think there's much replayability here. Worth experiencing it on a sale.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sad to hear it isn't very long, but I will play the cat game regardless, because 1) cat, 2) it's a kitty cat, 3) I can meow meow meow. :neckbeard:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SplitSoul posted:

Sad to hear it isn't very long, but I will play the cat game regardless, because 1) cat, 2) it's a kitty cat, 3) I can meow meow meow. :neckbeard:

:hmmyes:

Edit:

ninjahedgehog posted:

Until someone mods in a dilute tortoiseshell so I can play as my cat, I will not be playing this game. :colbert:

ok fine I'll play it

IT HAS BEGUN :catstare:

Red cat Stray | nexusmods.com posted:

itry fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 20, 2022

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

McCracAttack posted:

Anyone else get stuck on the bar? Like, stuck stuck?

I did encounter a glitch early on where I jumped on a ledge with the express purpose of knocking flower pots over for the heck of it, and I got stuck walking around in a circle where the flowerpots used to be and had to restart from the last checkpoint

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

(Ending Spoilers) Incredibly mad there's not a reunion scene (no seriously, ending spoilers) given the gut punch of the drone dying

Overall it was fun, zero desire to 100% it though

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I had a great time playing as a cat yesterday. 10/10 would cat again.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Skyl3lazer posted:

(Ending Spoilers) Incredibly mad there's not a reunion scene (no seriously, ending spoilers) given the gut punch of the drone dying

Overall it was fun, zero desire to 100% it though

Yeah. Would've liked an outro scene of some robots using the main elevator, and some cats running around.

I did enjoy just sitting on the main console and watching the roof fully open. Very chill.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

Oh my god the way the cat just flops over when b-12 puts the backpack on it, and then walks all weird for a bit is so good

My cat acted exactly the same when I tried to put a walking harness on it, weird walk and all, 100% perfect game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Played through the apartment, game is cute as hell. The cat just flopping over in protest after the harness got put on is goddamn adorable :allears:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Something broke and now my controller is continuously purring. This is the greatest game ever made

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Played through the apartment, game is cute as hell. The cat just flopping over in protest after the harness got put on is goddamn adorable :allears:

The spoiled part was my favorite part so far too, I took that section real slow since I was laughing so hard :3: I'm a bit past there, just made it to the robot people town. When you meow their faces get a smile and I love it

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

How quickly did it take everyone to get the "meow 100 times" trophy?

I got mine almost immediately after putting the harness on :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/Pusheen/status/1549462159347924993

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Drinkslinger posted:

Within 5 minutes of booting up the game

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Elder Postsman posted:

I lost it when that happened and had to record it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLl_XUTioDU

Drinkslinger posted:

During the tutorial. I am not the LEAST BIT ASHAMED.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 20, 2022

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I found a robot wandering round the city who stumbled when I ran in front of him and he tried to step over me.

A few more attempts and he hit the dirt face-first. As someone suffering from a heavily bruised rib after my cat tried to kill me on the stairs this is catharsis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

itry posted:

Finished the game, missed 4 memories. In-game time says 6 hours 11 minutes.

The game is cute and pretty, the cat is very lifelike. The gameplay is very simple though and I'm not sure if this game would be worth playing (full price anyway) without the novelty of being a cat.

The story is your basic what's left after humanity disappears/eats itself. There were a couple or more contrivances where they had you leave characters behind to keep the basic gameplay formula going. Not bad overall, just basic. Like the gameplay.

Good soundtrack and sound design. Pretty good UI and use of lights and movement to guide players.

Don't think there's much replayability here. Worth experiencing it on a sale.

you shouldn't ignore or underrate the visuals really.

Strays birth is around here https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/koolas-stuff/20505 and that is what catapulted it into the interest of people, because unlike most goons (???) people love great visuals and good game engine tech use.

I agree that it has solid features overall and isn't particular outstanding gameplay wise, but the graphics are really the underlying driver for its hype here.

There have been games with cats prior to this, like Catlateral Damage and most likely others. The cat is an accelerator for sure, but the visuals are the base.